Sketchbook: Pou's Sketch Snap - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay more more,
    i like the way your coloring that hand, feels very natural.
    i would sugest starting to be more patiante with some of your stuff or not, just keep up the experiments.
    also good luck with school, draw the teacher when you get bored.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 862 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hello Pou

i'm gonna crit unreffed profile girl:

- the light area under her eye is flat, there should be a slight variation of value cor that area isn't a plane. (same to other smaller area) (unless you're doing a plane study)

-also some area should be pushed more (small areas) example the botton of the chin, it should be darker than than side.

i made a quick paintover so you see

Name:  pou unreffed girl.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  33.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou! I really like how your value studies are getting better and better. The study of that girls back is just gorgeous!
    Your pencil stuff is also pretty nice. I don't see as much improvement there, but It's just stuff that needs a lot of grinding - and that's what you do!
    So just keep it coming and I'll keep on lurking in here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3.24-3.27.2014

Buxu: Thank you, yes I haven't done anything long in awhile so I'll do some!
    Actually I've decided to pay more attention... I don't want to become a "B" student afterall lmao

Zou: Thanks so much for the paintover Ill keep in mind.

Ecki: Yeah haha XD. Thank you, still trying to improve the pencil rendering as well

---

I had just realized I might have an artblock which came into existence shortly after the start of the SB ( when I began to try seriously for improvement ). But then last night, just like that it was over.

I have become so obsessed with improvement and chosen to focus on that. But in result anything I did from imagination was frustrating for me and became overwhelming

BUT the cure to that artblock is drawing things you like! ( not taking a break, at least for my case ) Haha man I am so slow always late to realize the most basic things. Anyways Iíll be focusing on this for now and I think Iíll be more successful, not to mention much happier.
    ( Oh also ecki gave me nice advice earlier this morning. He's awesome :3 )

Sorry if these long paragraphs bother viewers, but this is my journey and taking note of these things to look back upon in the future will be amazing to see how I felt at certain times, while ultimately seeing what helped me get through the struggle. As undoubtedly I will face these same feelings again sometime in the future.

---

Onto art now
    For some reason I couldn't upload yesterday. soima day late
    All outta order. I don't know

Name:  100_3353.JPG
Views: 475
Size:  62.9 KBName:  100_3370.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  33.7 KB
    Name:  100_3369.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  38.0 KBName:  100_3368.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  40.7 KB
    Name:  100_3363.JPG
Size:  39.2 KBName:  100_3362.JPG
Size:  45.0 KB
    Name:  100_3364.JPG
Views: 471
Size:  38.8 KBName:  100_3358.JPG
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  100_3357.JPG
Size:  50.9 KBName:  100_3356.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  100_3355.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  49.1 KBName:  100_3354.JPG
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  100_3365.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  47.7 KB

bought an acrylics kit and tried it for the first time. Yow

Name:  100_3361.JPG
Size:  167.8 KB
    Name:  100_3367.JPG
Size:  86.2 KB

Edit: forgot to upload this stuff below
    ( study, imagination )

Name:  Untitled-1.png
Views: 468
Size:  125.8 KB
    Name:  angur.png
Size:  146.5 KB

Last edited by Pou; March 27th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    huhu! ¶D dont worry to much about artblock, they sometimes appear but with time you figure out why they come and how to "survive" i would really recommend to write down some stuff while drawing, you dont have to show it, just for you. like what are you doing exactly, what are you doing wrong, what looks wrong and why... analyze your stuff and compare to studies from pro's. or real photos. really the or one of the fastest ways to improve, have fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats why i told you to relax and have fun but you dont listen.
    just find a bit of time for yourself during the day sketch what you like,
    dont need to worry about anatomy or wathever, i am sure that will open your brain,
    and the more happier you are the more receptive your briain will be for new knowledge,
    and also sorround yourself everyday by stuff you like, go see SB you like, anyhting that boost you,
    i personally came here cause i want you to kick my butt and you do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Such awesome, so jellyfish, many liek. Me doge.
    Damn I want to try out acrylics too ^^. Those look sweet!
    Second what Yuniken said about taking notes, and have you watched other artists paint? A ton of artist sell videos of them painting and talking and I find that I've learned a whole bunch of stuff simply by watching them and listening in real time.
    Is the last pencil one a life drawing? Dat pencil work , me want!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3.27-3.29.2014

Yuni: Thanks man! Haha itís the reason I was so depressed was I could see my lack of skill in comparison to them and even though I practiced I felt I couldnít grasp the concept ( although Iíve gotten it now ) xD Thank you, I just need to concentrate on enjoying art more to get through all of it. Iíll definitely write down what I want to get out of individual studies etc more though.

Buxu: bahaha yeeash buxu is the wise one ;; _ ; Thank you Iíll try to keep it in mind

Mrkolsyrad: Not too oftenÖI fall asleep or watching videos by themselves takes much time up out of my little day. I canít really listen to videos while drawing itís too distracting. But Iím trying to work on that. Yes itís from life! Charcoal pencil thank you

---

Where do all my pencil pages go? I swear I had more or somethingÖ Iím so messy
    Did some bug studies. Urk theyre so gross upclose but so interesting. What am I doing to myself.

Name:  100_3382.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  53.0 KBName:  100_3385.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  100_3386.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  39.0 KBName:  100_3387.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  100_3383.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  57.6 KBName:  100_3384.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  46.0 KB

Quick study

Name:  st1.png
Size:  201.9 KB

Imagination. WIP
    Tried to think of a concept... I'm really happy with this so far ; _ :
    AND I'M HAVING FUN

Name:  prayingmantis morph1.png
Views: 397
Size:  153.9 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-29 at 12.09.45 AM.png
Size:  221.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou! I cant really find much to critique here, your on the right track, and I really admire how determined you've been, especially in posting everyday, its a pleasure to check back in. But enough being nice, Ill try a critique.
    Your lines are messy, Which is great, it gives the sense that the portrayal is a struggle and of course opposing forces create energy. I see alot of movement and good things happening with your lines but I also see in some of your sketches the line is very hesitant and blurry, perhaps when your not quite sure what to do with it you lay down some lines which aren't quite doing anything, but are just sitting there on the drawing. Try to keep in mind what your trying to do with each stroke of paint or pencil, what movement is it promoting what shape is it ultimately apart of as a whole and how do the two relate. I'm mostly talking about your quick sketches-but I see a bit of this in everything.
    I like to think of things like this- "here is the object im trying to draw, but I'm not going to draw it, im going create lines to tell me about it, describing it to me as if they were describing it to a blind man, as few as possible are just in the background talking to one another about some unrelated thing. Id recommend you try doing some contour drawing by pen, practice drawing figures from reference without lifting the pen from paper, don't worry about proportion or accuracy so much as movement and line weight. This is really just a study of line confidence, Go over places you need to pronounce with more line and make it darker. Also in your sketches try darkening things which are coming in front of other things, exaggerate the darkness even, concentrate it. In the end everyone is different and learns differently so take that with a grain of salt, try it, see if there is anything which seems to gain you something if not throw it out.
    Another thing, in your paintings I recommend you stay clear of the smudge and blur tool for awhile, or regulate your use of it, try painting with a brush with more of a lost edge, like a sponge brush where it breaks up around the edges, so you don't get the spotty outline of the edge of each little circle on the round brush, and use that instead. The smudge tool does great effect, but its easy to get into the habit of fudging the edges rather then really holding up the integrity and choice between soft and hard. It can just get too muddy when over used, and painting more without it will help learn when its most useful and why.

Keep it up pou, its very inspiring.

Rakno-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeaaaaashhhh now i feel im seeing the true pou in action, its cool stuff dude with tasty designs keep up this

ok now as for critiques i wanna try to be short, i like what your doing in the red rib cage and insect legs, isolating parts for your brain to digest the info but i see stuff i dont like in your studies too, linear work with no 3d sense, always study this shit in 3d dude. in your head i mean.
    http://www.fengzhudesign.com/blog/fzd_bugsDT_01a.JPG

well dont need to be so linear but you get my point right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rakno: I havenít been posting everyday ; _ ; itís every other day. (Except for today..lol ) Thanks Rakno!!!! Iíll try to use the smudger less I donít want to become a slave to my tools. And Iíll try to work on my sketchwork as well. Thanks again for the detailed advice

Buxu:
    you hit it dead on buddy Iíve been avoiding this D: Okay Iíll study perspective more in depth and then try to do that. I have yet to do it because itís scary!!!!!!!! BUT I gave you the advice to just do the thing that will help you the mostÖ and I think this is it for me. Oh man

--

-Iím a day early for posting ( Iíve been trying to post every other day ) but because I couldnít upload the other day Iím a day off now. So posting today to get back on track
    -I fixed my tablet with help from toffee so now I can get the creamy strokes much easier from now on! I thought I fixed the problem by myself a while ago but I actually just made the situation worse T__T

ďfinishedĒ imagination piece. I need to learn how to do backgrounds and just everything better.
    It was fun in the beginning and learned a good economical process for future works.
    Though of course this could be pushed so much more. I don't know how right now... gotta do some longer refine studies
    6hrs total
    Name:  prayingmatnis 2.png
Views: 362
Size:  409.9 KB

studies

Name:  100_3388.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  57.6 KBName:  100_3395.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  56.3 KBName:  100_3392.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  54.3 KBName:  100_3391.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  64.6 KBName:  100_3389.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  56.1 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-30 at 8.32.36 AM.png
Views: 353
Size:  56.7 KB
    Name:  j.png
Views: 351
Size:  166.3 KB

I was planning on making this a longer study but I started off with no lines and everything is terrible( strokes, proportions. I tried the process almost backwards for experimentation lol ).
    It isnít worth it to fix this one timewise, so Iíll leave it

Name:  girl color study.png
Views: 358
Size:  293.9 KB

Iíma do one of these from life each day. yumyum

Name:  onion.png
Views: 360
Size:  347.2 KBName:  onion2.png
Views: 354
Size:  233.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yum!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pou, inspiring stuff, as always. These last onion paintings look super fresh and exciting. Love the strokes and the color complexity you've managed with them. The bug woman is looking great as well. It cracks me up. The branch she is standing on looks a little "cut and paste", like it doesn't meld successfully with the background. It's looking a little flat. I know you probably want it to pop out in space, but I'm thinking maybe some of the edges are a tad too crisp and the lighting could subtly describe the form better? Not sure how to fix it, exactly. Do you see what I mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

the blue girl study is awesome ! the oiginon too.

i think it's worth it to continue even if you spend much time on it.

you need to do quick exercices and longer exercices, and sometimes veryyyy long.

i hope you'll get motivation and inspiration to keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pou onions are not yum, they taste horrible but nice still lifes, reminds their very usefull, gotta do some too.
    to me happens the same in my pieces, i cant finish them cauze i dont make long studies either, actually i think its pretty hard, good luck there, if you learn that then you can teach me oh the girl seems like a good skin color studie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these last two pictures are excellent, Pou. great job, keep up the hard work.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou! Those onions are really nice! I love onions!

I need to second Buxu in post #310, you could do some of those "Feng Zhu"-ish constructions when it comes to animals. This stuff is really boss!
    Your hand-anatomy also needs some work, maybe you could go for a 100-hand-challenge? - just use your left hand for posing and do any kind of poses you can think of. I should do that too

Your sense of value and form is getting better with each post - that's really nice to see! I wonder what would happen if you'd pour ~20 hours into one big-ass painting?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 944 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sketchbook and good studies here

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wutangclam: yummy

Grumpysaur: Pfffuffff yeah itís so flat. I see what you mean! Iíll try to improve that thank you

Zou: Iíll do some longer studies, thank you buddy

Buxu: >:C onions are the best. Yeah of course whatever you need, if I can help you with it!

Purb: Thank youuuuu my cheerleader XD

Ecki: Okay yes T___T longer stuff. AHHHHH 20 hrs??? INSANEEEEE. Someday someday bahha, Iíll try a 100 challenge againÖ I usually cop out at like 50 since my brain doesnít absorb any new information after that. Iíll try to learn how to do some perspective constructions as well. Thank yuuu ecki

Randis: Thank you I appreciate your kind words

--
    Groooooarrrr schools crazy right now!!! Very busy.
    Posting every other day isnít working out I keep losing the stuff I do.
    Guess I need to go back to daily uploads :I

--

dem onions, ill try a different object

Name:  oniion3.png
Views: 237
Size:  287.8 KBName:  onion4.png
Views: 234
Size:  233.3 KB

basic perspective

Name:  100_3406.JPG
Size:  57.2 KB
    Name:  100_3407.JPG
Size:  69.7 KB
    Name:  100_3409.JPG
Size:  64.5 KB

Attempting a new technique with acrylics, monochrome and then you glaze it
    masterstudy. WIP

Name:  100_3400.JPG
Size:  68.6 KB

imagination sketch, a creature similar to growth process of tadpole, but crablike features
    Name:  sdfser24.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  209.6 KB

started using a traditional pencil instead of mech pencil towards the end

Name:  100_3401.JPG
Size:  58.5 KB
    Name:  100_3404.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  50.4 KBName:  100_3412.JPG
Size:  67.2 KB
    Name:  100_3402.JPG
Size:  49.1 KBName:  100_3413.JPG
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  100_3398.JPG
Size:  99.4 KBName:  100_3397.JPG
Size:  65.2 KB

imagination doggy

Name:  doodledog.png
Size:  298.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update

you're brave to attempt that acrylic technique

naah , i'm scaring you

I hope you'll post steps ( i never tried it)

the dog stroke effect is great !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4/4/2014

Thanks zou! I'll be sure to do so

Sooomeee stuffs. finally the weekend is here (almost)

tried white conte for blending and it's awesomeeeee!!
    it looks almost like oils. The arms a bit flat I know

Name:  100_3414.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  117.1 KB
    Name:  100_3418.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  98.9 KB

masterstudy zumbachs. I'll work on it for awhile

Name:  frank t zumbachs study.png
Views: 211
Size:  410.0 KB

last onion as it must be eaten now (30min)

Name:  onion5.png
Views: 211
Size:  285.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou! Thanks for checking out my sketch book a few days back! Man you got some real sweet stuff here! I like your insect studies especially the prey mantis awesome! The onions are cool too, eh... so are the figure drawings now that I think about it... gee man just great work man! great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou! I just wanted to stop by and say that I like your updates
    Your onions are really awesome. Makes me want to paint some too! How many more onions are you going to paint?
    I love the quick poses from the heavy lady from post #319 - the forms and linework are just awesome.

yay, keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies you've been doing recently, Pou. The onions are full and round; great form and the brushstrokes aren't too tight.
    Have you tried using retarder with acrylics? I'm not sure if it'll help your process but it helps keep the paint wet while you work
    with it on the canvas/paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're good at colours but not that good at concept. I'd suggest you develop abstractions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4/5/2014

Toshi: Awwww thank you and no problem

Ecki: Thanks I really enjoyed those gestures as well! And that was the last one. I ate the onion

Toffee: This is weird I literally just got my retardant in the mail yesterdayÖ I havenít used it before but im excited because I want longer drying time but Iím scared of oils haha. ( What with how they can kill you and stuff. ) How long does the retardant usually keep acrylics wet for in comparison to regular medium? I need to use my other cheap medium up before I can touch this beautiful one ): I suppose I could just look this up bleh. Thanks for stopping by as well!

Ped: I am bad at concepts and itís something I definitely need to improve on D:. What do you mean by ďdevelop abstractionsĒ, do you mean ideas and stuff? Do you have anything you could suggest. Thanks for the compliment! You should link your SB in your siggy or profile it was difficult to find, but you should revive it!

--

I talk too much sometimes, so Iíll just say Iím glad itís the weekend and that I got 3 hrs of sleep last night lol.

WIP of a skeleton chart Iím making for myself

Name:  100_3420.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  72.9 KB

Basic perspectiveÖgonna delve into the more complex now that Iíve caught up on all the fun. Ohohoho
    ( no itís not going to be actually fun )

Name:  100_3422.JPG
Size:  57.4 KBName:  7-.jpg
Size:  32.7 KB
    Name:  6-.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  32.3 KBName:  5-.jpg
Size:  30.8 KB
    Name:  4-.jpg
Size:  29.1 KBName:  3-.jpg
Size:  33.9 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Size:  42.5 KBName:  1.jpg
Size:  42.4 KB
    what a cutie.

Name:  100_3421.JPG
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  cutiepie.png
Size:  171.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great cockroach - if you want to have a long open period, oils are a must. They are much easier to use than oils and you won't die from them. If you have health worries; use Gamsol (it's an American non-solvent for oil paints by Gamlin I think - I've never used it) and stay away from Flake white (lead based). The retarder keeps the acrylics wet for a while but it makes them a little tougher to control - they dry overnight I think. I don't use acrylics very often, so I can't be too sure. I much prefer oils.

Great studies in your recent post, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, you are getting into perspective! Can't wait to see what it opens up for you.

pdfhak! Cockaroach! Bleck.

Yeah, I stopped using oils when I got pregnant, they scare me too. They are dreamy to work with, though. Have you used gouache? I see all these beautiful concept art using them. Maybe it's something to look into. I'm sure that you will eventually rock those acrylics if you play with them a bunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh so much stuff since last time, there are some really great posts, in the last post i see you beaing more tight and clean on the edges, i think thats great cauze you was missing that, keep pushing structure! my favourithe images is the bug from imagination, it shows thinking and realist design sense which is something i find hard to do and the dog from ima cauze its have mood! (poor dog, seem sad)

so yeah nothing to critique, your experimenting and doing many different stuff so keep doing it. ah wait i do have a critique but its something you already realized
    im seeing too much basic perspective, i think you are more then ready to go for the next step, do envi studies following those grids, exteriors or interiors, you will get much more from that i think. hehe hope you keep the fun on!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 262