Sketchbook: Pou's Sketch Snap - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you know there is three Dimensions, I'm quite sure of that
    You imagine that there is 3 Planes that are in a 90° angle to one another and don't directly face the viewer. You put multiple of those planes(starting with one and multiplying it) on your blob. You then trace where the plane hits the blob. After you've gone through your whole blob doing a number of those(depends on how high your blob was) you change the angle of the plane by 90°. Imaginary. Should not be a problem. once again, chose an angle that does not directly face the viewers.. and it doesn't have to be exactly 90° either, you are just aiming for that in your mind. Then do the same thing. The first lines going through your blob already describe it a bit, to think about where the blob would hit the new plane.. and then repeat with a last plane. Hope you did now understand my exercise!

Nownow.. you get too lazy to take pictures and last time you told me to post everything poupoupou.. (I actually don't mind it though xD)

And yes.. I agree.. ca is damn slow lately.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Portraits, nice ligthing

keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nysta: o-oh okay. Youre too cool >___< ahhckk. I'll have to try it out and observe your practices then. Yep lazy hypocrite here C:< bahaha. :"( I'll post it soon

Zou: THank you!! Had lots of fun with you yesterday 8D

---

Woops missed a day, but I really didn't have anything...
    uhhh still too lazy to upload that tiny lil charcoal work
    I wished to begin learning about atmospheric perspective, since it gives a general idea of colors in wide spaces.

I'm aware many of the colors are off now >___< just need lots more practice I suppose
    All refs with full 100opa

Name:  1 study.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  41.7 KBName:  1.png
Views: 280
Size:  112.3 KB
    Name:  3 study.png.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  50.3 KBName:  3.png
Views: 272
Size:  44.0 KB
    Name:  5 study .jpg
Views: 270
Size:  126.4 KBName:  5.png
Views: 274
Size:  94.9 KB
    Name:  6 study .jpg
Views: 268
Size:  99.5 KBName:  6.png
Views: 273
Size:  65.0 KB
    a tiny little blend
    Name:  4.png
Views: 277
Size:  337.8 KB

I tried to look outside my window...to show that I tried to look from life e_ e
    but it was too bright for my sensitive eyes. it hurts
    Name:  2.png
Views: 269
Size:  77.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice studies on colour Pou! Good start. You kind of lost it on the last one, it doesn't have as much of that tightness and uniformity of the previous ones, but dont stop there with the attempts of life! The good thing is you'll get so much variety depending on the weather for colours to choose, would be nice to see. You rock though, your level of workload still inspires, even if you feel you dont do enough as it is, hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm.. I'm way more lazy than you are Not like that's something to be proud of. I really have quite much of a lack in self control - or tend to swap my interest out completely randomly sometimes to put it to other words.

I'm not too sure, but I think that playing a game called Trackmania Sunrise helped me quite a bit with thinking in 3 Dimensions. I don't play any games currently, but yeah.. I'm always watching everything even when I'm not drawing - which obviously I'm not doing enough. If you don't know the game.. I guess it's worth a look(not necessarily good to play it because games are addictive.. but I'm sure you can find videos).

Now obviously there is newer games from the same publisher out there, but I think that this one still is one of the most interesting ones to look at. I mean.. our job is to bring something on the screen, so why not look at stuff that is at the screen. And if it's not a screen it's still pretty much 2D and should look 3D.

If just watching won't cut it for you.. you might want to pick a few frames and to a perspective study? It's pretty much already simplified and there is crazy stuff going on with the tracks. And blocks.. yeah.. mostly it is the cubes that are interesting. And the game has a system of blocks(though not as high as in the other dimensions) where you can set one thing to each block and create the weirdest tracks. Yeah.. love building them.

Might sound all weird, but I really can't recommend stuff other than stuff I think helped me so hey.. give it a look?

Regarding the color studies.. which you are obviously tackling right now: Working in full opacity is a good method to block stuff in. If you want to go more into detail, you should swap to working with opacity again, at least in my opinion. The only real alternative I see would be the smudge tool. But yes.. only after you blocked in your whole painting. I tend to work with opacity and then repeatedly adjust stuff until it looks about right. BUT.. yeah, I will have to try that full opacity stuff still. I did try it for a very short time, but not to finish anything with it. So yeah.. I can just give an opinion on it before I've actually done it.. so it's more of an assumption than anything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah! The amount of work in your sketchbook makes me realize all the days I have spent not drawing, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Pou

yeah , it was great time , drawing with you

the color studies are very good, i wish i had your awareness when i started color studies.

the values are good too, you have a good basis to keep your learning journey.

thanks for the no-opacity push up

stay sharp and good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hellp pou, i already commented on the group so im just gonna drop this link here
    http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Creati.../dp/B007QRI1UQ
    almost all i know about brain stuff is from this book
    cheer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Suda: Haha yeah! I ended up taking 5 mins or so for the last one. Just posted so people didn’t guilt me about not choosing reference from life XD. Thank you though, I appreciate your words and advice

Nysta: I wouldn’t have thought about the game o__o I’ll check it out. Thanks!! I needa do plenty of perspective studies. I definitely agree with you, I actually did that yesterday Youll see now muehehe. OOH DO IT THEN.Thanks for your time.

Falapoco: Thanks . Seems you draw often as well from your sb

Zou: You knowwwww I said they aren’t as good and I gave you my secrets! Thank you

Buxu: Huhhhh the reviews are pretty mixed, but I’ll read the reviews a bit more. Only scanned the surface. Thanks!

---

All imagination:

Speedpaint
    Name:  sdfasef.png
Views: 243
Size:  369.4 KB

color of b&W piece, must add bg to it
    YES IT SUCKS YO. I must study the arm, hands, perspective, EVERYTHINGGG woot

Name:  sdfsdf.png
Views: 257
Size:  606.9 KB

straight to color... i don't like it now
    Was just a test, doesn't mean I hate it any less though ahha
    Name:  livingsad.png
Views: 240
Size:  326.8 KB

Okay skintone studies. Uhhh Providing ref to shame myself of the differences ( in hue & proportion )that are obvious.
    Must learn how to apply the colors without muddy.
    All full opacity to start off with
    Did challenge with Zou :3

Name:  Color study1 ref.jpg
Size:  396.3 KB
    Name:  color study1.png
Size:  396.7 KB

Name:  0x900 (66)-1 (dragged).png
Views: 238
Size:  587.4 KB
    Name:  color study 2.png
Size:  411.9 KB
    Name:  color study2.png
Size:  503.9 KB

Last edited by Pou; March 11th, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! Nothing to add. Gonna work as hard as You from now on

Check out my SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The blonde girl turned out more amazing after some blend

i'm sure it will get better with fancier brush (chalk or oil)

keep up mate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,718 Times in 2,450 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Your study time is cracking you up some new grounds, discovering certain areas
    of the backstage. You have already found that little golden line hidden in the distant
    side of the frosty rainbow. I like the way you handle your paintings and I like the way
    you approach art in general. The studies that you are doing, they are sticking right
    to your skin, you are a quick learner, there are students that have to do a million and
    billion life drawings, so they could get the hang of the basics, but as I realize in your case,
    it’s almost enough to do it once or twice. I am really admiring your progress and evolution.
    Maybe you are a natural or something, but you are good with colors, values and the brush
    work is just amazing. I like that living sad painting and I like that girl above that holding
    an axe, may I ask what brush do you use to get those strokes, what opacity, I just want
    to paint relaxed like that. I am sorry for not being regular here, and I want to thank
    you for such a detailed review and reply in my book. I think that being around you
    pays off in each and every aspect, so I admire the people who can do so.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 21st June 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A fantastic sketchbook - well done, I found it very inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bato: Welcome back after your short break~ Work even harder than me! I’m lazy

Zou: What does the oil brush in PS look like? Thank you same to you

Ltpliss: Haha I’m on the verge of the frosty rainbow!! I’m not a natural… It’s about what you do with the studies. Observe a bit more, and try to think about why something looks the way it does. If you can’t figure out/don’t know why then look it up or ask me :3 I want to help you succeed as well if possible. Artists should help each other out. The brush is a rectangular brush with 100% opacity, around 60% flow for blending. The spacing is down low to minimize streaks. You should use 100% flow at the start to reduce the amount of muddiness and to help define edges
    No problem buddy!

Toffeeliz: Thank you ^__ ^

---

Midterms are this week..... Excuses D:<

Also I looked in the mirror this morning and my face shape has appeared to change.
    It's either my observation skills have improved or my actual facial shape has changed
    ... I'm hoping its the former xD

Color studies. These took way too long, at max 20min for ea
    Learned some new stuff though

Before anyone says something, the turtle is an actual photo

Name:  buuttzex.png
Views: 211
Size:  452.2 KB
    Name:  10.png
Views: 209
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  9.png
Size:  183.7 KB
    Name:  8.png
Size:  185.6 KB
    Name:  7.png
Views: 210
Size:  276.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanks for the critique on my sketchbook - my textures are just horrible, I really need to work on that, thanks for reminding me tho :'D

I like your style, the girls look very cute and I think the no opacity studies are gonna help a lot
    maybe you could experiment some more with brushes, sometimes you're gonna find one that is gonna speed up your progress a lot or just gives a nice effect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook Pou, especially your paintings. It's evident that you're putting a lot of work in that area. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers Pou

For the brush, it depends on your taste and of course each painter does his own brush. Usually it's a a bunch of dots in one line and following the direction of lines

Name:  oil brush pou.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  36.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah your characters are so nice, and you do a bunch at the time, i wanna try to do a few bunches too but i normally take ages on each, the full opacity studies are always good to get better at color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Milsch: No problem! Thanks I hope the studies will aid me as well. And oh… you’re going to see in this post that I abused textured brushes ahha!

Fantasyartist: Thank you I just checked your sb, but forgive me for awhile. I'm gonna have to review yours a bit more extensively to find critique that hasn't already been said

Zou: Oh I see, okay I’ll try to find or create brush like that to experiment . I’ve never used traditional oil but I do love the look they create –sigh- so wonderful

Buxu: I’ve commented on your sb, hopefully the advice will help ease your frustrations ; _ ; no suffer

---

Stuff that I said I'd update a couple of days ago. Can't find a few pages though.
    Finally used my charcoal sticks instead of charcoal pencil...
    uhh my camera glitched somehow? No I didn't cut her in half D:<

Name:  100_3257.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  84.6 KBName:  100_3250.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  53.2 KB

B&W photostudy
    Name:  bu.png
Views: 176
Size:  275.7 KB

Envo/material studies
    Name:  10.png
Size:  188.7 KB
    Name:  100_3256.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  74.3 KBName:  100_3251.JPG
Size:  77.9 KB
    Name:  100_3254.JPG
Size:  55.5 KBName:  100_3256.JPG
Size:  74.3 KB

Then imagination
    Shit! Where's the lightsource?? Ughhhh I need to study more
    Name:  1 copy.png
Size:  1.22 MB

Last edited by Pou; March 12th, 2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: one image stayed huge no matter how much i edited the size?? so iremoved it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Pencil chick, even though shes cut in half , looks amazing! As always, good studies. However, the last piece contains material/texture but shows almost no form. These mountains are actually preety nice start. You only need to control the chaos you've created . Some tips, remember that air isn't invisible. The more mass of air is between the viewer and the object the more blue (or whatever color of the sky is) it becomes. Oh, remember about gravity. It affects air aswell, so the closer to the ground the more masses of air are being acumulated...Hope that makes sense. Also, try to keep warm lights and cool shadows but you already know that. Keep up the good work!

P.S. about the image that stayed huge. Maybe you tried to change resolution and didn't change the actuall size of the image which is in centimeters or something? ^^

Check out my SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bato thankyou for the most helpful tip, and it ended up being me selecting the wrong sized one everytime. I had uploaded two T___T.

---
    T_____________T

---

imagination

Name:  Anthemic.png
Views: 155
Size:  555.5 KB

Last edited by Pou; March 13th, 2014 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,718 Times in 2,450 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Oh an new avatar has been born, I like it very much, colorful nasty feelings captured
    in this beauty of a piece. Sometimes I truly feel like a sad naked cowboy, riding on a
    featherless ostrich’s back. You just know how to put honey below the sugary coated marshmallow.
    There are times when the wind blows too hard, you better not open the umbrella in those
    gaps of insufficient time snaps. Balance is the key to victory, but only if the ground is stiff
    and dry enough. Just as the others pointed out, you should not be afraid nor from the
    uncertainty, nor from the dark, nor from the tall black caped man. You should never
    stop stirring the hot melted soap, mixed in the Sunday noon soup. Update more
    and more and more, you are keeping the top positive spirit real high right now.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 21st June 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh dude your so crazy and spiritual karmatic artist haha
    i really wanna see you on higher ñevels to see what a hell you do.
    hey you know what that pieces remember me? the crazy arts of android jones.
    as for critiques on the envi, hmmm... same method you told me for characters use it for envis.
    1º gesture
    2º lay down colors thinking on foreground, middle and background, light etc, well just relax and use what you know
    3º render
    ah yeah the damn bumskee have knowledge here http://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/phot..._valley_01.php

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Buxu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw your little rant earlier lol. Ugh. Like I said before, draw from memory. 20 minute drawings from imagination arent going to do anything. You need to spend a lot of time creating, more time than you spend studying. If you are serious about being an artist you need to start creating art and stop doing studies day in and day out. STUDY IS GOOD, and when you draw from memory you use everything you know. you practice what youve been spending hours studying. Think of light, perspective, anatomy, etc. Study is useless if you do not apply it. Who cares about where the light source is. Youre not making a masterpiece. Dont even think about how people will judge it, think about this; WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE? Patiently render it out into an image that pleases you, do the best you can.

Just start busting out creations. Characters, landscapes, doesnt matter. Just try to make it look cool, and make sense. If you do not start practicing this you are going to be lost in a world of endless study and no art being made. I dont understand why artists do this, if you dont love to make art then why are you pursuing this? Im not trying to be mean, you have shown that you understand things and you ARE PROGRESSING, you are just scared when you take the training wheels off. Its ok if you crash and burn, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will become. Vilpuu said in an interview that he only studied for the first hour per day to warm up, then the rest was drawings from imagination. I dont understand why people do nothing but study and are afraid to make art? You acted like you wanted to be told the cold hard truth, so here it is. If you do not like what I said I am sorry, I am just trying to be helpful and be real with you. Another thing, you seem to give up at the beginning of your pieces. Mess with abstract shapes, if youre drawing with pencils just draw some lines of action, gesture, try to generate ideas that way, get some energy going. Once you have the idea then you can go from there. I really hope this helps.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Korzen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LtPliss: Thanks! Yeah I need to trimm it down a bit euhheh x) thanks for the encouragement it really helps

Buxu: Ahhhh ffffudge you're right. Okay I think I know what I need to do... let's work hard together

Korzen: Yeah I realized I just haven't been working hard enough AGAIN haha. So I removed it b/c it was a bitchfit.

-Korzen I do really really appreciate what you are saying, and there is some sense in it...but I'm thinking the opposite! I just don't have the pool of knowledge for what certain things I want to do with the imagination and that's what frustrates me, being stuck doing the same stuff over and over ( poses, composition, topics, colors etc ) and so I believe I just have to stop bitching all over the place and work more than that. Because my goal is to be able to create mostly ANYTHING I want out of my head and not be limited to references...gonna take a long while to be able to do some of that ( which was what my rant was about )
    -But also I need to work harder on my imagination and really put more effort into each of the drawings, I'm going to try for each drawing to be outside of my comfort zone. I'm afraid of "bad" art ( my art being bad to my own eyes ). But hell it already is and will continue to be that way until I get out of what I'm doin.
    -Thank you, I appreciate the other viewpoint. It helps me get a broader idea of the topic ^ __^ Don't ever stop telling me your opinion...unless I have a weapon or something. That would probably be a good time to stop.

---

Guys sorry for the two posts so close to each other, I had a question but answered it with a little time.
    Today and tomorrow wraps up my midterms and then I'll have a week off for spring break.
    I'll still have to work, though therll be much more time to art...
    I will step it up and work harder. I need there to be more
    Time to stop being a tired/fatigued lazy ass * __ * YEESSSS

Name:  100_3266.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  47.7 KBName:  100_3265.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  53.0 KB
    Name:  100_3264.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  56.8 KBName:  100_3263.JPG
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  100_3261.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  57.0 KBName:  100_3260.JPG
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  100_3259.JPG
Size:  71.4 KBName:  100_3258.JPG
Size:  59.4 KB
    Yeah the hand is backwards... I noticed bahhhh
    Name:  100_3267.JPG
Size:  50.4 KBName:  100_3262.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  56.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiyas Pou! So many studies, lovely to see. I don't think you're the lazy/fatigued ass here, I am haha! I'm sorry but I don't really have anything constructive to give. You're posting and studying at a very good pase, just wish I would do the same. The values in those portraits are looking good, things are getting better and better. ^__^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are nice hands ! try to consider doing the same to figure (keep same thinking for figure)

the imagination image is pretty good, so many color and a dark mood :p

don't know if you're gonna do proportions/structure studies so i can give you crits. tell me if you're going to switch to that.

good luck with your nexts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great advice from korzen. Also if you want to get better at imagination, I think it is important to know what to study that goes towards it. Studying anatomy, value, color, is more of a left side thing that is disconnected and ingrains procedure, dissection, etc into your mind. Study movies, favorite artists, interests, thoughts about life, etc is studying with the right side cause you see things as a whole, and in their context.

Imagination is right side brain stuff and you don't have to study at all to be good at it. Little kids have the craziest imaginations. It is all about your life, interest, thoughts, experiences. We have years of knowledge in that. Good example is glen keane. He animates tarzan, ariel, beast, etc and what I noticed is that all those characters are extremely alike. Basically he really observed his family behaviors and made those characters feel so real because of it. He said he made ariel bite her lip when shes nervous cause his wife does that. So you don't really need much to have a great imagination if you associate your life into your work.

A really great question I always ask myself when I get stuck with not knowing what to do is: If I was 10 years in the future and a great artist, looking back, what would I have done differently with my learning process? The answer is always the same for me. It is: I wish I would have just kept things simple, didn't care about what people think of my work or try to be someone else, didn't waste my time unfairly comparing myself to others, and just spent most my time drawing instead of thinking.

Also I think you are doing extremely well with those color studies. Are you color picking?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Hang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha okay i'm glad you were so receptive to my comment because after posting I thought I kind of sounded like a dick but I wasnt trying to, I'm just trying to help. I think using reference is a matter of personal preference, a lot of artists use reference in different ways and amounts etc. Well keep studying then, you will know when you're ready. I would at least get into a habit of drawing gestures/thumbnails from imagination though, just to to get yourself more comfortable with creating ideas. A misconception about thumbnails is that you have to draw a little box and a scene, I think drawing thumbnails can even be just small rough ideas for characters or whatever you want, it doesnt have to be a full scene. So dont be afraid to do little thumbnail drawings, they will help you a ton.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, hope midterms are going ok.

i agree with Korzen and Kathleen, but i also disagree in a sense. there are practices in drawing that tend to lean more to one side of the brain, however, to be able to draw effectively one needs to be able to combine observation with imagination, keeping the things they've observed in mind and using that as a reference in drawing from imagination. even drawing from life is drawing from imagination, as you have to remember what you've looked at when you're drawing it (while drawing you're not actually looking at the reference anymore). but the point of studying is to be able to draw things in a way that's believable, and if one doesn't have anything to communicate, then there's little point in doing art. so one needs to study to have some sort of reference, not just to see it but to THINK about it and UNDERSTAND it, from which to make art from their imagination believable. but things learned from reference need to be put into practice, so that means a lot of imagination drawing. someone like Vilppu CAN "study" for an hour and draw from "imagination" all day, because he put MASSIVE amounts of time into studying from the beginning, and keeps that study in his head. the ratio of study to imagination drawing will change ALL the time throughout one's life, and even from day to day, depending on the project, so i wouldn't necessarily worry about that as a magic number. the most important thing is that whatever someone does, they're thinking about it and not just doing it without thinking about it; very few things are learned that way.

for you, Pou, you keep up what you're doing. i don't know a lot about getting unstuck from a rut of drawing the same things, but maybe it'll help if you did something that you normally don't do, or go someplace that you wouldn't think you'd be interested in. learn something new, and try to incorporate some of that into your art. make a list of what you currently do frequently, and then brainstorm things that aren't on the list. maybe you could go to a cafe, or even a mall (even better), and do some gesture drawings. keep doing the still lifes. go study exotic flowers at an arboretum or something. take an environment drawing to full completion. attend a concert and draw the performers. anything you don't normally do is fair game.

keep up the good work, and don't forget to relax. you're really super productive, and that's a good thing, but be sure to stop and smell the roses.

then come back and draw the roses.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

35. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast