Sketchbook: Pou's Sketch Snap - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Pou's Sketch Snap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Korzen: Can’t you? I do sometimes ahaha

Nysta: -Sigh- That’s actually the opposite of what I meant. Please read the two posts above the one you’re referring to ( above #208 post ) and try rereading that actual paragraph.

What I meant was, I don’t want to do imagination pieces digitally because I don’t learn from much from them currently, and it takes so much time up. I don’t have lots of daily drawing time available... Didn't mean none traditional studies. BUT thank you for explaining what your reasoning when you stated that ^ _ ^. and I agree completely

Panda: Nooooooooooo you’re right. I find it extremely difficult for me to use my imagination. I’m afraid of it…because I lack any interesting ones and I feel like I have to expand my knowledge more to improve it D:. AHRGHH haha were opposite right now in our needs

---

Not much. But I'm trying to upload daily again so I don't slack so much :I It's embarrassing!

Name:  1.png
Views: 307
Size:  161.7 KB
    Name:  100_3128.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  100_3131.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  96.0 KB

Edit: When is a good time to start learning animal anatomy? Or do you guys think it's a good/bad idea to start
    I don't want to spread myself too thin on topics...But I am interested

Last edited by Pou; February 25th, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Pou. I actually really like that green imagination girl on post #208. Looks like it can be a bad ass hunter chick. Also, 3 words to describe the vibe I get when I look through the last few pages: stress, pressure, judgemental. I feel like that is what slows you down the most. I know you are trying to become an artist in a certain time frame and feeling pressured is really all that is causing this.

Brainwash yourself of everything for a day. Forget everything and pretend you are a little girl again, that really loves dinosaurs. You draw because you are truly passionate about the subject. It's never even thought of as studying to you. It is always thought of as you trying to express how much you love them. You love them so much that you forget you are even drawing. You just feel like you are thinking about them and everything just comes out effortlessly. Listen to what your mind tells you and do things naturally. Humans weren't built too sit all day or study all week. I feel like my best work comes out when I am being my most natural. Don't ignore what your mind keeps shouting at you. Think about the little kids compared to adults. It's the ones that learn to keep that kid in them that are so successful. Stop caring and be stupid every once in a while.

I'd say you are at a good time to start learning animal anatomy if you already have a nice familiarity with human anatomy. They both have pretty much the same bones and muscle. I don't think it would be spreading you thinner to learn it cause from my experience, learning animals has really taught me about personality and perspective because animals have much more forshortening with the legs. And personality because animals really show it through their body language. So whenever I go back to drawing humans, I feel like I have a bigger variety of knowledge.

So yup, you are doing fine. Just have fun !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/26/2014

Kat: Thank you :*'( you are correct. I'll try to get the little kid out of me.
    and if I can't, ill lure the child with promises of wonderful rewards haha.
    Okay! I'll try to slowly mix some animal anatomy in there...
    I want to increase my spectrum to improve my imagination a bit. Thanks again!

---

Yesterdays stuff. I still make the daily uploading because 3 minutes until 12:00 ^ _ ^ haha.

studies

Name:  100_3134.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  58.4 KB
    Name:  100_3135.JPG
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  100_3136.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  100_3158.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  80.0 KB
    Name:  100_3160.JPG
Size:  52.3 KB
    Name:  100_3159.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  49.9 KB

imagination....oh man

Name:  100_3140.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  69.8 KB
    Name:  100_3139.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  76.3 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving the skulls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a Pokemon Trainer you draw a fucking lot :-D
    Good to see progress in here, your anatomical knowledge gets better and better. Maybe you should keep your proportions and basic forms a bit more in mind, at least that's what worked a bit for myself. That's the point of view from which I love George Bridgemans gestures/figure drawings, they are raw as hell, but I can learn a lot from it.

Anyway keep it up, it is getting better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo pou, some insane linework up there the skulls are art pure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep bustin out those imaginative drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/27/2014

Jman: Thanks! ^ _ ^

Charmer: Oh!! Haha about that. Each page in my SB is equivalent to capturing one pokemon . I'm on a quest to master all fufu. Definitely man, thanks! This last imagination sketches really made me think that as well... why do you like bridgman? I love how fluid his shapes are but I actually find it really difficult to read and keep the knowledge from those forms now :I

Yuni: Thank you yuni~ I'm trying to improve my charcoal pencil rendering

Korzen: aye aye cap'tm'

---

Managed to get caffeine to work for me finally.
    I'll be able to squeeze a couple extra hrs out of the day because of it

studies

Name:  100_3161.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  55.4 KBName:  100_3162.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  52.5 KB

Gonna do daily Traditional self portraits. #1!!

Name:  100_3165.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  70.6 KB

imagination... I was doing comfortable poses up until now ( hiding my flaws and creating boredom in the drawings), but I'm going to try and get out of it. Because I won't learn anything that way...also I want my drawings to tell more of a story!! Otherwise there is no point... but only the last demonstrates me striving for this

Name:  100_3166.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  100_3167.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  59.3 KB
    Name:  100_3169.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  74.5 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-02-27 at 1.25.08 AM.png
Views: 269
Size:  92.1 KB

Imagination. No critique on this one yet please

Name:  Screen shot 2014-02-27 at 2.41.17 AM.png
Views: 265
Size:  51.3 KBName:  Screen shot 2014-02-27 at 2.41.29 AM.png
Views: 270
Size:  82.9 KBName:  sdfsdf.png
Views: 268
Size:  307.2 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm i like your imagination stuff, you are making interesting characters with mood. and I have to say this... do you know what character that self portrait reminds me? noodle of gorillaz!
    one question, what did you did for caffeine to work for you? i do drink alot of coffe but sometimes it seems to dont give any boost.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyo Pou. I think you're on a really good track to improve your anatomy here. I've made some great progress since the start of the your sketchbook.
    My question would be, how much do you consider perspective when you're doing figure work? Perhaps you would find it useful to place your figures into a scene with real perspective every once in a while to see how they hold up. Other than that, nice start to your new piece. Interested to see where you take it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow pou you're doing great, those skulls are awesome and one of my favourites so far! Really like the feet as well, you're doing so well, will catch up soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Butbutbut.. I want to put some critique onto the perspective one.. :/ I also like the drawing titled sdfsdf.png!

*edit*

Oh wait.. you don't want critique on the one I stated to like? Hope I didn't get that wrong because I am now going to give you some input:

One point perspective tends to work. Two point perspective tends to work when the horizonline is in the middle but looks wrong pretty easily.

For shots like that one try using three point perspective. Or at least try to hint it. It just looks weird right now! I mostly try to hint some sort of fisheye even when the horizonline is in the middle, so that when looking into the corners the part of the painting can stand by itself a little better.

(Well.. basically it is advice rather than critique, so I guess it should be fine no matter what xD)

*edit*

The third point belongs on the side that is further away from the horizon line(I hope that's already been obvious to you). I could talk tons more about it, but I'm not sure if that wouldn't just go to waste. If you wish me to, tell me.

Last edited by Nysta; February 27th, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/28/2014

Buxu: Haha I wish I were as cool as noodle!! That is the same for me :I… I think I grew a tolerance for it. I’ve started taking a different form of it. Mmm drinking coffee would make me tired but now its in pill. Energy drinks also help mostly

Jon:
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah I don’t think about it toooo much…but it is necessary haha ( in order to not make flatness ). I’ll take your advice

Suda:
    Thanks buddy. Trying to hit my weaknesses n’ improve. Yeah let’s catch up, duuude

Nysta: Feel free to critique the shit out of my shitty crap perspective!!! You know, I was wondering about that. I was wondering what is the purpose of 2 point when there is 3 point... Yeah 3 point looks so much more natural :I I’ve read some about it but thank you! okay I’ll practice some that. I don’t know how fisheye works… would you mind explaining that to me? D:

---

I forgot to do my self portrait yesterday haha D:. I'll do two today!!

studies

Name:  100_3170.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  49.9 KB
    Name:  100_3172.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  100_3179.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  43.9 KB

imagination. worked a bit longer than normal on em...
    I've started drawing during my class lectures. Bad student here

Name:  100_3174.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  60.9 KB
    Name:  100_3176.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  76.8 KB

and worked on the imagination piece more.
    Let's keep the crits off until it's finished ( I will complete it ).
    I've a pretty different view in mind

Name:  Screen shot 2014-02-28 at 5.01.39 PM.png
Views: 235
Size:  248.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fisheye is basically eyeballing a new perspective for every spot of the painting.. just imagine you look straight at every single spot of the painting and tue to that give it a bit of a curved effect. I don't think I can explain it better than that. it is just about changing the vanishing point to the opposite direction the eye has to move to get there.
    Might not make much sense xD.. but effectively it is just a means to get more stuff onto your painting - and by changing the points to something that looks more natural spot specifically you can do so. You should be able to find pictures that use it online pretty easily. Those should illustrate how it looks like when done correctly. You don't usually have to do it that strongly though and sort of mix it into your painting a little bit if it would otherwise look weird. (You can compare the directions you'd have to curve it in when looking at those pictures, or you might even be able to apply my weird sounding description of it xD)

Hope it helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/1/2014

Nysta: Hmmm I see! I'll research it more in depth.
    I plan to study it further and incorporate your advices to my pieces.
    So thanks again as always~

---

Yesterday truly was not a good day for me.
    Our water got shut off haha! Anyways that's not art related soooo... -clears throat-

Name:  100_3183.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  44.5 KBName:  100_3182.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  100_3181.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  59.3 KBName:  100_3186.JPG
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  100_3187.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  71.2 KBName:  100_3188.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  test.png
Size:  147.1 KB

I realized there was no point to me starting in color and continuing it with that approach...I have no freaking clue about color, let alone light/shadow well enough to mix color at the start. And I won't be studying color for awhile
    Also this will be my last posting WIP until the finished piece. Don't want to spam

Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-01 at 5.42.11 PM.png
Views: 216
Size:  128.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The weird thing is that the first progress looks like a finished piece already.. xD

Anyhow, try working from rough to detail, you seem to be adding a lot to it after giving the painting an almost finished look. Also I don't see why you shouldn't be working in color. Let me tell you the very basics of color(hope you get what I mean):
    Chose a base color. Chose a color for your light. Chose a color for your shadows(bounce light). Look at the way the hues change. (You should probably have a look at some actual photographs or lights and shadows). Whenever you chose a new base color change the light and shadow color accordingly(Just think of what light hits the surface at that point and what sort of light will be reflected and what not and you will get the according color. Usually that means that you just have to switch the color in a similar direction. So.. for example.. a shadowed part might get bounce light from the sky(blue) and thus be more desaturated when it was orange before. The same orange material will however bounce light on itself in folds(well.. might also be under your armpit or whatever) and will thus increase in saturation.(The light it reflects gets reflected again, the other light it doesn't reflect so well will be reflected even less. You can do a little test if you want to. When the sun is up and shining inside of your room take a white sheet of paper and hold it inside of the shadow(it will reflect all light because it is white). Hold your hand next to it(inside the sunlight). There should now be an orangeish glow on the paper.

Well yes.. I guess it is all about watching and understanding. I don't have a lot of experience with value, but I can tell it helps a lot to map shadow areas and light areas previously. Then try to never get lighter on the lightest areas in your shadows than in the darkest areas in your lights(if possible keep quite a gap). Experiment a bit! You'll see what turns out good and what not. (There might be exceptions to that, for example with strongly reflective material.. )

I'm obviously not a master myself, but once again, I hope I could help you(at least a bit xD)!

Last edited by Nysta; March 1st, 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: just spelling..!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/2/2014

Nysta: Hey dudeeeeee! Thanks as always you brilliant awesome person you ;D. Uhm, so about your method of color... it's the correct way! And it is pretty much how I would go attempting straight to color. But the thing is, I haven't studied how light affects objects n such, as in absolutely none of my colors would look natural. I haven't studied skintones or any of the sort and to me I would be wasting x4 amount trying to struggle with this AND values. For me, it is just simply easier to separate the two at the beginning... I was just fooling around at first... and that's what you get when you don't plan stuff out haha, especially with color. Just going everywhere and nowhere for awhile. I plan on doing my B&W version and then after I study colors I'll go back into it and modify the values a bit, in addition to color Thank you again for your comment. THeyre always very helpful and I appreciate the time you put into them. I'll return the favor even more so down the road

---

quickies. Hmm feeling like im starting to get the hang of something.. not sure quite yet

Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-01 at 3.40.35 AM.png
Views: 201
Size:  45.9 KB
    Name:  test study1.png
Views: 199
Size:  282.8 KB
    Name:  still life 2.png
Views: 205
Size:  182.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat progress going on . It's good that you're going back to values if you feel insecure. And those Master studies look cool!
    Values can be a curious thing, they look so different compared to the values surrounding them.
    Here's some stuff that might help!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=125491
    http://navate.deviantart.com/art/SKI...rt-2-145159387
    http://navate.deviantart.com/art/SKI...-IMG-145160154
    http://aquasixio.deviantart.com/art/...-map-363288614

Attached Images Attached Images  
    SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/3/2014

Mrkolsyrad: Thanks for the links dude! it's funny I've seen those tuts elsewhere before... but I haven't actually gone through or read entirely ( was waiting to approach the "color zone" denurrdenurrneenur - theme music -)but i'll definitely go back into them full throttle! Also thanks for the value one. Really awesome

---

Name:  100_3189.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  59.4 KBName:  100_3190.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  50.3 KB
    Name:  100_3191.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  51.1 KBName:  100_3192.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  100_3194.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  53.2 KBName:  100_3195.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  61.1 KB
    Name:  100_3198.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  59.2 KB
    Name:  100_3203.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  100_3200.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  57.1 KB

Erp. I'll finish these. Doing a challenge with zou * _ *

Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 7.16.41 AM.png
Views: 184
Size:  170.3 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 7.12.23 AM.png
Views: 181
Size:  176.1 KB

AHHHHHHHHHHHH I CANT WAIT TO STUDY COLOR AAHHHHHHHHHH Im so excited

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Pou

anatomy are good as usual

i hope beginning the study today too

good luck with yours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/4/2014

Thanks Zou!! I'm really really excited to see yours as well.

---

Name:  still life experiment.png
Views: 163
Size:  161.4 KB

"Finished"... Challenge was for 4hrs, currently at 3. Thought I was finished,
    now looking back and disliking majority it. So I'll go back into it since I've got the extra time
    Name:  .png
Views: 163
Size:  249.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your value studies are looking great. your form is coming along, your edges are really nice. keep it up.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/5/2014

Thanks as always purb ^ _^ I appreciate it. I've commented on your SB as well...
    sorry for such lateness of returning favor :I embarrassing

---

Name:  100_3221.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  59.3 KBName:  100_3233.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  100_3222.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  75.2 KBName:  100_3234.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  100_3235.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  55.0 KBName:  100_3227.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  68.5 KB
    Name:  100_3228.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  58.4 KB
    Name:  100_3232.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  46.8 KB
    Name:  100_3230.JPG
Size:  53.4 KB

Okay I obviously need to study how the arm functions/ moves

Name:  100_3244.JPG
Size:  56.8 KBName:  100_3242.JPG
Size:  62.5 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pou, you got the "rules" of anatomy and perspective on the body, but there are some strange things happening sometimes. i personally try to look (while i am constructing the body) "intuitively" on the drawing, without forgeting perspective and anatomy "rules" and then draw the lines or correct them. if something looks strange to YOU...find out what was the reason ^^.. but i think you are killin it. looks great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you're getting some real fluidity in those lines now! It's much more impressive when you use those variations of darker strokes, you can see the difference compared to the last ones where the lines are so faint. The figure study is real nice. Great stuff, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/6/2014

Yuni: Thanks very much Yeah about my sketches I don't erase my lines or mistakes because if I sucked at making an anatomical error I'm stuck with it...leaves a much bigger impact for me. I know it's stubborn to not correct the error right off the bat, but with practice it should slowly improve. I think I know what you mean though, so I'll try to improve the purpose of my lines before laying down the pen(cil)

Suda: Thanks haha, the camera really kills the linestrokes. There are graphite and then there are charcoal sketches xP. I'm going to try and improve how I use the graphite to make more appear darker by lighter majority strokes, but there is a huge difference in darkness of the two tools as well

---

Yesterday I tried really hard to improve my brushstrokes. It may not look like it because they still suck, but I feel like I made a small breakthrough with these. The first took twice as long as the second and started with solid ( nonpressure ) strokes...only deviated with the second. Thought someone might find the process useful though

This is really really important to me because I feel that this step ( better strokes ) is necessary for myself to accomplish before moving onto color. Otherwise it'll be insanely difficult to understand hue shifts and etc with crappy brushquality and readability

Bear in mind, still very shitty. But a little less shitty than before. I'll keep working on it

Name:  dffff.png
Views: 110
Size:  209.7 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-03-05 at 10.30.24 PM.png
Views: 111
Size:  80.1 KBName:  Screen shot 2014-03-05 at 10.45.39 PM.png
Views: 111
Size:  86.4 KBName:  brushtest2.png
Views: 109
Size:  239.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou. Great work with this portrait. I think you did really well in defining the light direction you also show understanding in defining a focal point with your rendering. What I would suggest is perhaps to keep the shadow values in the face a little lighter so you can differentiate between the skin material and the hair material.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's pretty cool already.. also you say you have shitty brush stroke quality? I think it is quite good actually. Anyhow, I've got some exercises in my last post(because you requested to see all I drew). They are not executed particularly well, but I'm pretty sure they are good exercises. Those blobs I thought of in particular. Explanation: Draw a random blob shape. follow its shape in one of the 3D-directions(don't make straight lines, so take some plane that doesn't directly face you or just show up as a line). Then the second one 90° to that, and the 3rd one 90° to both of those. Placing the third one sometimes takes a bit more of thinking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you take caffeine pills? i remembeer a math pro that only could work well with those, seems like theirs much more powerfull and almost like a drug, you little gangter XD
    did you know different kind of our brain abilities are activated with those stimulatings? seems like we kill alpha waves with caffeine, in other words, we zone out less wich can affect how creative a person can be and bla bla bla, i love too much talking about brain stuff.

back to art, i love your values and edges on those still lifes and portraits, its impressive, i can see improvement on that since the last time i was here, though you are still too sloopy with your hard edges, i have the feeling your trying to get alot done in little time and thats not bad, but try to give attention to your hard edges too, you wanna give some love to them too.
    as for brushstrokes, use a clean and big stroke to define a plane, i see too many dirty little strokes here and there, i think its a skill to develop after all, stroke economy i think they call it, i lack that too, its soo hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3/7/2014

Jon: Thanks man! And oh my bad haha, it's actually a hood/cape.
    I'll try and be more aware of how to describe different surfaces in the future

Nysta: Well my strokes are only okay nowwwwww, I mean a week ago they were pretty gross.
    I'm a bit confused to what you mean with the 90degree angle shifts...
    It sounds like an amazing exercise so could you explain to me a bit more? Thank you

Buxu: Feel free to tell me about that stuff anytime. I'm very intrigued
    Thanks for giving some love attention to my strokes. Yeah man it's really difficult. I'm not quite sure how to break down and transition the strokes after doing the big planar ones without making it look like this...argh. Must practice more. I really really want to develop it. Oh and yeah, I kind of don't currently ( take the pills ) because it seems I am immune to their effects now. This happens alot lol

---

Yesss. Okay I think my strokes are at an O-K level to start with color
    SOOOOoooo I'ma do a color testrun tomorrow and see if I am ready for color or if I will need to go back to isolating value once more to get a better grasp ( boohoohoo D::: )of course I will do many B&W studies in the future and continue to try improve my strokes right now as well

Name:  boobsheaven.png
Views: 166
Size:  242.3 KB
    Name:  b.png
Views: 165
Size:  132.6 KB
    Name:  bb.png
Views: 165
Size:  286.5 KB
    I've got a few other things, but too lazy to take pictures.
    I'll do it tomorrow to save time

Why is CA soooo slow lately? It takes minutes and multiple clicks to load certain pages :I

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 429