Sketchbook: Pou's Sketch Snap - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always find it so hard to think about all that stuff while you're drawing. For example: Of course eyes are round, but sometimes I just forget it while drawing. It's the same with every aspect of drawing. I think mostly it's just practicing until your subconscious takes care of all the thinking and you can just draw and it works

Nice update and crazy eye study – I love it

Last edited by ecki; February 1st, 2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Wow, I just noticed that there is another post on page 6! Somehow, the link i clicked dropped me off at page 5, yeah whatever
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still updating, craaazy!

Good stuff, but on the last portrait the skin could be a little smoother. It takes a lot of skill to pull off a painterly style flawlessly, if that's what you were going for? But yeah, you were right need those hard shadows. And I assume you are a lot younger compared to your picture and your skin is a lot softer! :p

As for the rest I love the concepts and your lines are improving, your legs from imagination are good, way better than the top half, so maybe work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just didn't get that you have a page 6, because CA dropped me off at page 5 and not it won't let me edit my comment. Why am I unable to edit shit?

I like your anatomy studies, they seem very deliberate and helpful. I can't quite say why, but they just feel good – Keep em up!
    The heads you're drawing suffer from "Loomis-eyeplacement-strangeness". That's a term that I made up. Usually, the eyes tend to be about halfway down the head, or at least somewhere in that proximity. When beginning with the Loomis construction method, the eyes are wandering somehow too far up. I think I fixed that over time with just drawing heads a lot (or at least I think I fixed it, ehehe).

I really love the subtle textures and layering you've used in that no-ref piece. I also got to say that your values are getting better and better

I also love that you've shared a self potrait with us – I think you did a great job on observing the values. I think you should do some more of them, they are a great practice.

So... This time I copied that text, so I don't have to smash something if CA eats it again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah I have hard times doing portraits, especially selfies, too! Looks good yeah.
    Do you squint your eyes sometimes while you're painting? Helps me a lot getting the values and forms a bit better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The self portrait is awesome. There's somethings that don't quite read, but for the most part, you've separated light into two major masses really well. The two main areas that I see a bit off would be the lighting on the hair and the jaw line/neck area:

* The face seems to be lit from the upper left hand corner while the whole mass of the hair seems to be lit from above and over the viewers right shoulder.

* The bottom (on the dark side) doesn't seem to 'round off' and seems really flat. Adding some reflected lighting towards the bottom would give a better impression of it rounding under and towards the neck. Keep in mind edges: sharp = 90 degree turning, firm = cylindrical type turning, soft = spherical, lost = idk yet, im still noob as hell.

* The neck sees kind of odd for two reasons: no reflected light going up in there from the bright t-shirt or scarf, and the edge of the cast shadow from the head onto the neck is lost. The cast shadow from the nose onto the upper lip looks like a more typical cast shadow.

Anyways, you did a awesome job! The last two imagination pieces are gorgeous and that one loomis head that the viewer is looking down on is solidly constructed!

Click it and make me happy (or sad, both are welcome and appreciated)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/2/2014

Sudafreekan: Dude! I had no idea ahha. Thanks so much I'll make sure my skins are super smooth, and work on the top half of my legs?

Ecki: Oh! I actually practiced heads yesterday youll see. Sorry about CA eating your messageÖit actually does that everytime with mine as well. I just copy everything I say to make sure ( it also duplicated what I say ) Thanks as always Ecki

Charmer: Well I donít know if itís because Iíve got monolids or Iím not doing it right, but squinting is really difficult for me? Iíll definitely be trying to improve form and shadows though. Thanks Iíll try more squinting haha

Skawt: Thanks man, honestly I donít quite see everything you said ( which means I need to practice more ) Itís also harder to analyze along with you b/c thereís no reference picture were both seeing. Yeahhhhhhh. Iíve saved your comment though so hopefully Iíll be able to get back to you on this one.

---

I worked on facesssssss. I swear I did more than this...cept somehow this is all I've got to show? o_o Ah well

Name:  100_2907.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  51.8 KBName:  100_2908.JPG
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  100_2909.JPG
Size:  43.6 KBName:  100_2910.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  100_2911.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  54.1 KBName:  100_2912.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  55.1 KB
    Name:  100_2913.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  50.2 KB

Unrefs, forgot to scan the last

Name:  2.png
Views: 280
Size:  271.4 KBName:  3.png
Views: 277
Size:  282.5 KB
    Name:  1.png
Views: 281
Size:  412.0 KBName:  100_2916.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  55.7 KB

Unref shit. Gah I'll make skin smoother in the future

Name:  hjk.png
Views: 269
Size:  144.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook! Great studies with the faces and portraits. I see you've got your values down pretty well, and your non-reffed stuff is getting good!
    Also with regards to blending, try decreasing the hardness and opacity of the brush. It might help smoothen out the rough edges.

Very nice work. Keep it going!

Cheers!

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
    - Marianne Williamson

Say "Hi" on DeviantArt!
    Or.. Drop by my Sketchbook and Help me Out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are so awesome, yooou had been working haaaard!!! ahhh, thx for the boost!

alraight time to to critique that final piece, you asked for it...

I suck when it comes to finished pieces but maybe i dont screw it up too much.
    i think it improved alot comparing to the older version but here is what i think could be improved:

- first, the lady (focal point)
    needs to demand more attention, you can do this by
    giving her more bright and more darkness to the background, this way you
    have a clear and clean focal point wich i think its cool. ( i used levels wich created ugly contrasts but i hope you get my idea).

- second, i think you was trying to give little importance to the background to dont distract the viwer from the focal point,
    so you are a bit messy and slopy in the roots things,
    but thats bad, for some horrible reason, our eyes like to go where
    the mistakes are, if you make strange edges in the forms of the background we are gonna look there.

- third, you see the arm? i think could be improved if you add more elegance to the gesture.
    wich appleas you more, the curvy line in the example or the straight one?

Pou's Sketch Snap

Pou's Sketch Snap

by the way, i do this because is fun and im learning too by doing this, so i might be saying bullshits,
    if anyone wanna critique my critique is more then welcome.

and damn those unrefs are so cool, keep rocking you damn Pou!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Pou, those head and facial studies are really paying off. I see improvement in that area as you have been applying it to your paintings. It seems like you are also getting a better sense of color and light. Have you been studying those things as well?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Pou – you are really killing it! Your face studies are just insane and you improve like crazy.
    Your really motivate me to go back to some anatomy studies, you'll be kicking my ass in that respect pretty soon if I don't work harder

I love the line quality in your no-ref sketches. They look really pro! Keep up that insane drive – even though it's a little scary!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew.. honestly, I have been dropping by your sketchbook for quite a while now, yet I never knew what to say and decided not to say anything in the end. You do not seem to share ecki's problem.

Anyhow. Just looking at this current last page in your sketchbook I'd say you have trouble drawing hands. Well you've got hands yourself and they are pretty convenient to look at. Really easy to put them in front of your eyes If you want to "skip" drawing them(which is not even a bad idea since you can set focus to stuff that you care about and leave the rest a little more vague) you should probably focus on getting the highlights right in your paintings since those pop out the most.

I think you have a bit of trouble with composition, too. Leaving out some detail deliberately is one of the aspects of composition. It is a rather bad idea to just leave out all detail however.. try to spend most of your time on what is most important. Then about the other stuff in your paintings. It really helps to try and have it point to the focal point. Uh.. The point that is most important(the one you want the viewer to look at), not just the one that the lines converge to. Now.. you see that won't be possible a lot of time, but then try to make those lines point to other lines that then in turn lead back to the subject. Having people face a certain way is a good trick to make people look the same way, too(that sort of leads the eye in the same way a line does). Your subject will probably lead the eyes of the viewer somewhere from itself uless it is looking at the viewer.. in those cases you should try to lead the viewer right back to it. It does also help to have the most contrast in terms of everything around the thing you want the viewers to focus. Now.. it is not necessary to actually have the most contrast in terms of overall contrast, but you should try to get it be the most busy. (Highest local contrast)

So.. really. I myself have just started working on composition and stuff, but I thought it might help you as well. I would have redirected you to some tutorials if I knew any that made sense to me. Sadly I don't, so you will have to put up with my try of explaining something I haven't got a full grasp on myself. It should help though(I hope it does).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/3/2014

Falconess: Thank you :3 Cheers to you as well!

Buxu:
    I love you man. I’ll be sure to think about what you’ve mentioned into future pieces.

Grumpysaur: You betcha. Whats been uploaded in my sb is what I've been practicing. Thank you

Ecki: Yeah you better watch out. Cus I’m gonna beat you bahaha.

Edit: Nysta: Thanks, sorry uploaded at the same time as you commented I suppose XD. IT REALLY REALLY HELPS SO THANK YOU. And yes I've got a hand problem. It's pretty difficult to balance what I'm worst at haha! I'll get to hands again asap though. Thank you again and I'll keep that composition noting in close proximity for my next pieces

---

Twas practicn light/shadows

Name:  6.png
Views: 252
Size:  145.5 KBName:  1.png
Views: 255
Size:  147.9 KBName:  4.png
Size:  142.6 KBName:  5.png
Views: 253
Size:  178.3 KBName:  pgphpttptptp.png
Views: 254
Size:  242.1 KB

Working on a masterstudy ( WIP ), bouguereau.
    Like 1/5th what the original is in quality.

Name:  bou study1.png
Views: 258
Size:  473.3 KB

Unref. Spent 5mins makin the world's crappiest animation.
    Yeah it sucks b/c theres no reflective light don't kill me lel

Name:  sdft.gif
Views: 262
Size:  1.29 MB

Annnd some color studies. 10 min ea

Name:  01.png
Size:  218.1 KB
    Name:  04.png
Size:  224.1 KB
    Name:  02.png
Views: 254
Size:  148.4 KB
    Name:  03.png
Views: 259
Size:  261.9 KB

-sighhhhhhhh- The week is here again Goodbye free time for art

Last edited by Pou; February 3rd, 2014 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see you have improved with your lines Lovely self-portrait by the way I'm so envious of your skills, I need to work harder too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's so impressive, the amount of work you're putting out. This is some serious dedication right there

The value studies look great, the bouguereau study looks promising as well. (Wow... I really needed to copy that name, I can't even read it... Damn, what a boss!)
    I like the brushwork on the clothes in that no-ref painting, everything else is just not finished enough to say something about it. If I had to crit something, I would say: "The frontal upper arm is too short & study some face profiles: the mouth would be very wide, the browridge should curve around the eye, the forehead recedes too steep and the hairline is too low" – yet, what needs to be said: The value-grinding is paying off! The values in this piece are pretty nice already! Great job there

For the color studies, I think you should allow yourself a little more time, to also get some more subtle differences within the color palette.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah your rocking again! love your motivation, you are in college or something?
    hm well for your faces there is one thing that helpe me, this method works really wel for me, http://zeronis.deviantart.com/art/Al...rial-430287547
    but if your gonna use solid brush full opacity be carefull with the block ins, simplify all you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook and nice drawings. My main complaint is only in your colors and values in your digital work. It's just that the colors and values are so muddy that it doesn't correctly show the form of the objects and the light hitting it. Try thinking of all this stuff in big chunks of value ad color and try doing some studies where you limit the amount of gradient between values. It really helps making things look solid and real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everybody's already said a lot, and you already have a long list of stuff you're working on and planning to work on, so i'll leave that for now. your studies are paying off a lot, so keep up the production, keep working like you do. looking good.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

19. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm speechless... That amount of work. Great stuff , superb value studies, great bouguereau study and unreff'd work is alot better! Keep this flow of work !

Check out my SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Pou! This thread is blowing up! Glad I'm your friend now before you get too famous

I see what you mean about the B and W portraits, gonna do some of my own I think! Sleepy time now tho ...Also the Master study is great, going to do that myself! Just a crit again about the splodgy brush style you sometimes use in your portraits, especially that top right one in the B and W section. It's totally possible to use hard brushes and show form, but sometimes yours is kinda split splat, try learning the planes of the face. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/7/2014

Minella: Ahha yes you do!! And I gave you a little push advice towards what I think would help you. Thanks

Ecki:
    YEAH HES AWESOME AF. Could you redline for me and send it to me on fb or something? :I I kind of want to see it, I was having trouble with that. Okay Iíll try longer color studies~

Buxu: Thanks for the tip, I donít know Iíve tried that method so many times and it just doesnít work for meÖ Iím not good enough yet I think. And yep, but not studying art boo... General Education x____x My last semester though!!

Tristan: Thank you so much! Haha yeah theyre very gross right now and unnatural in a bad way. Iíll definitely try for that in color studies

Purb: Thank you purb, yeah itís all awesome advice!!! But it is a lot haha XD Itís difficult to juggle all my worst drawing problems at once ( I try to tackle one at a time )

Bato: Thanks as always :3 Itís difficult to b/c always busy( EXCUSESSS ) but Iíll try

Sudafree:
    Thank you about the critting that. Itís actually the hard round opacity. I just donít understand how to use it fully! Iím more of a block brush kind of person I suppose. Iíll try bigger areas and see if it helps my spongies

---

NOT MUCH AHHHHH. SO BUSY I HATE IT GAHHH

Views: 208
Size:  131.7 KB
Views: 207
Size:  153.7 KB
    Name:  4.png
Size:  169.0 KB

Masterstudy "finished" I don't know. I feel not learning much now so I'm just stop on this one

Name:  bou study1.png
Views: 209
Size:  480.9 KB

The stuff I did over a little span ( No I didn't do this all last night ; ___ ; )

Name:  100_2950.JPG
Size:  67.3 KBName:  100_2951.JPG
Size:  73.8 KB
    Name:  100_2920.JPG
Size:  42.6 KBName:  100_2919.JPG
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  100_2918.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  40.9 KBName:  100_2917.JPG
Size:  41.1 KB
    Name:  100_2949.JPG
Size:  44.6 KB
    Name:  100_2948.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  100_2956.JPG
Size:  82.8 KB
    Name:  100_2952.JPG
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  100_2954.JPG
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  100_2955.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  74.9 KB
    Name:  100_2959.JPG
Size:  94.3 KB

tried traditional still life...uhhhh

Name:  100_2947.JPG
Size:  46.7 KB

Also i got to mix paint on cardboar...LIKE HOW COOL. I've no idea what acrylic medium does or any other stuff though..
    This was seriously the highlight of my week.

Name:  100_2922.JPG
Size:  80.4 KB

---

Hey guys....I feel stuck. And I think I need to go back to the fundamentals BECAUSE I feel as though I'm not learning anything new and I lack understanding the basics so I can't properly construct stuff ( like figures, shadows etc ). SOOOO I'm going to go to the very butt basics. I never really studied them to begin with. o___o

I'm sorry there will be no pretty digital completed artworks from me for awhile BUT there will be imagination/ anatomy sketches. This is what I feel I need to do right now ( no more going around bushes ) so I'm going to do it. I'll definitely get to the advice you guys have given me because it's amazing and so helpful and I'm very grateful, but later :I. Thanks for understanding!!

What I'll be approaching:
    Shading/lighting basic shapes, trying to see shapes/ give shapes depth in space,and grid drawings. This will be for a month max. It's what I've gotta do! Hopefully you'll see a massive improvement to my understanding of fundamentals because right now I suck and I'm not gonna settle for this!!!

Bye for now, wish me luck ;D

Last edited by Pou; February 11th, 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish you good luck, you have a specific goal so yeah go for it. also i think thats exactlly what you (me too) need, even if your in college doing other stuff if you keep on the road and stick around im sure youl get there sooner or later, i believe in you so yeah, good luck.

recomendation: had you seen level up here on concept art? i highly recomend doing the excersises and seeing jason videos.

Last edited by Buxu; February 7th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhhhh pouuuu you made a Bouguereau study. I f****** love Bouguereau, excuse my language but words can't even describe my love for that guy! You did well! And I like the other stuff you put here as well!

We all go back to basics now and then, it's something we can't avoid. And one thing to remember as well it's not a bad thing. It's not a backstep in terms of learning either, quite the opposite. We can't be surfing on that perfect wave forever, right? If you feel that you're stuck, going back to the basics is a great move. I feel you, going back to basics is something I would really need as well haha. Good luck!

Oh and yeah, like Buxu said, Jason Manley's new Level Up! and Start! stuff is really neat. Daily master studies, daily value/color studies! Great scheduled exercise right there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/9/2014

Buxu Thanks buddy~ I believe in you as well let’s get there together on the road. And no I haven’t, but I’ll definitely see what its about then

Uiriamu: Haha! I actually found him via your sb, then saw someone else do a study so I was like, I’ll check this guy out! Thanks uiriamu :3 And no but since both of you are advising it o____o it must be great and I'll take a look.

---

So I don’t have much to show since I was mostly trying to get my head around concepts and not concentrating on output. I didn’t do tooooooo much, but I learned a little. Anyway here

Name:  brushcontrol01-a.png
Views: 185
Size:  86.7 KB
Views: 183
Size:  279.5 KB
Views: 181
Size:  272.9 KB

Was proud of this. then came back 10 mins later and hated it.
    I see the colors are wrong, so wrong now. + her face is flat and weird shaped.
    unref

Name:  treecolor.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  433.8 KB

Also did some hand studiesbut felt no point in showing those ( they are copies of basic construction, not real hands)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah daaamn, you start to complain and then you kick my ass? ah no way dude.
    thx for the quick in the butt with that last piece...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2/11/2014

Buxu: Hah like that even happened

---

im sick

Name:  100_2976.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  73.2 KBName:  100_2975.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  68.0 KB
    Name:  100_2961.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  79.0 KBName:  100_2969.JPG
Size:  62.6 KB
    Name:  100_2962.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  66.7 KBName:  100_2966.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  100_2968.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  68.3 KBName:  100_2965.JPG
Size:  62.9 KB
    Name:  100_2964.JPG
Size:  61.1 KBName:  100_2963.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  62.8 KB
    Name:  100_2972.JPG
Size:  59.0 KBName:  100_2971.JPG
Size:  73.2 KB
    Name:  100_2970.JPG
Size:  71.2 KBName:  100_2979.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  57.2 KB
    Name:  100_2978.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  72.0 KBName:  100_2977.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  75.6 KB
    unref
    Name:  100_2974.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  73.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou good job with all the hard work! I kind of feel like you could be getting more out of doing all those studies though. Switch between study and imagination more often. The pain of not being able to remember the study makes us 10x more observant next time. It is so easy to fall in the study trace, where we aren't even thinking. Also when you do a study, just pick one thing to focus on and really observe it. It is better to get one thing perfect, instead of everything "meh". Keep it up, I love seeing all that determination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    POUUUUU! Damn, you're SICK indeed! Those studies blow me out of the water. You do all the stuff I should be doing!
    Those plane studies of the hips! Your understanding of form and shapes is slowly starting to dwarf mine – I gotta do those studies too before you wipe me off the face of the earth!

But I got the second Kathleen, it's always a good idea to immediately apply the studies to imaginary stuff. I can use that advice as well
    Also, did I mention that your linework is getting better and better? Because it is!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff Pou, you are doing better everytime i come back ^^ o damn you too? everyone is sick wtf xD q.q hope youll be fine soon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi pou

Hard working

post 174, last post.

very nice !

I think you should think of strokes direction and size more (economy of lines)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nah seriously, i think that piece is cool, the colors and mood, deign etc. is nice, just unfinished. basics are a pain in the ass arent they? just keep at it and get better soon.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 255