Sketchbook: Pou's Sketch Snap - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pou's Sketch Snap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Pou

good thing you're making goals, here 's one for u
    always finish my drawings :p (for me too)

For overlay mode, it can be used different ways
    one way is for coloring BW drawing, by applying flat colors on an overlay layer but also use these same colors on another 'Color' layer above. the combination of Color and Overlay mode will colorize your bw image pretty good

overlay can lighten your image (like screen) but also darken (like multiply) depending on value you're using

that winged girl is nice, the unfinished effect is pretty good with it

take care and keep up

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/4/2014

Yuniken: Hey Thank you!!! I would really really really really appreciate that. What would you suggest for studying the most basics besides geometric shapes? Thanks for looking out for me

Phoenicorn: O____O Wow! Thank you, it'sno problem at all. Ahhah I feel you were too kind on me 7/10, I checked out the other artists reviews as well. Such awesomness!! Thank you for taking the time to do that You've raised my spirits.

Zou:!!!!! I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE. It's recently become very very apparent my inability to complete imagination pieces . I actually tried the color technique yesterday, you'll see the failure in this post. I might just be acting childish ahha. Thank you for the advice and I'll work on completing an imagination piece today...all day from start to finish Ooh man.

---

Managed to fix my scanner...Will scan future drawings after I complete this edgebound sketchbk
    Practiced arms. Pretty difficult

Name:  1.png
Views: 317
Size:  180.2 KBName:  100_2768.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  31.4 KB
    Name:  100_2767.JPG
Size:  29.0 KBName:  100_2766.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  24.3 KB
    Name:  100_2765.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  29.2 KBName:  100_2764.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  31.0 KB
    Name:  100_2763.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  24.4 KBName:  100_2761.JPG
Size:  24.5 KB
    Name:  100_2760.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  22.5 KBName:  100_2770.JPG
Size:  27.3 KB
    (unref) Name:  2.png
Views: 312
Size:  432.3 KB

Tried something new

Name:  hgjgpale.png
Views: 321
Size:  526.0 KB

Attempted to apply what I learned from the study above
    Felt very disappointed at the results, moped around ate some chocolate then got over myself
    unref ( using color tech. )

Name:  Screen shot 2014-01-03 at 3.29.06 PM.png
Size:  247.8 KB

And so practiced these since I don't understand them

Name:  nosieposies.png
Views: 320
Size:  149.3 KBName:  nosieposie2.png
Views: 318
Size:  122.0 KB

---

ALRIGHT. ONTO IMAGINATION

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/6/2014

Aoowwwwhh I was very very bad these past two days. Just look at my stuff Pou's Sketch Snap

Trying to understand color. So challenging. Also tried new brushes... I don't know how I feel about them

Name:  loveleeo.png
Views: 304
Size:  417.1 KB

Skintone studies

Name:  skins1.png
Views: 302
Size:  275.1 KB

Then unref attempting to use what I learned... Looks alot like amanda bynes huh.

Name:  gurrrrramandabyne?.png
Views: 299
Size:  209.5 KB

Afterwards studied eyes

Name:  eyebpractices.png
Views: 302
Size:  385.9 KB

Quick Photo study + Wips

Name:  Screen shot 2014-01-05 at 7.39.31 PM.png
Views: 299
Size:  47.6 KBName:  Screen shot 2014-01-05 at 8.14.11 PM.png
Views: 296
Size:  68.1 KBName:  limawet.png
Views: 298
Size:  194.8 KB

Then I try another unref color...How far off are my lighting and colors? I can't tell one bit

Name:  sdfsdf.png
Views: 300
Size:  227.9 KB

---

My digital skill is now lacking behind of my pencils. So I will work to improve my digital rendering ablities...( It's not going to be pretty for awhile. Sorry ahead of time!!)

Last edited by Pou; January 6th, 2014 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,
    You mentioned somewhere that you don't see any improvement since page 1.
    I just took the time to compare page 1 and page 4.

I gotta say that I see a lot of improvement in your stuff.
    - The line quality has improved. They look more secure and weighted now.
    - Your studies have improved. It looks as if your observing more closely and getting more information out of what you see.
    - Your anatomy knowledge improved a lot. Just look at the stuff on page 1 and you'll see.
    - Your no-ref stuff improved. Although you struggle with it the most at the moment, you already have a lot more depth and a better usage of color.

I really like the direction your latest no-ref picture is going. To have an easier time with them, I'd suggest putting a clearer lightsource in. If you exactly define what's in the light and what goes dark, you'll be much more confident during the rendering. You should also try to apply the little color-hue-shifts that you've seen (and applied) during your photo-studies. Try to get them into your no-ref pictures. Skin can be very very tough to get right. It took me quite some time to build up the courage it takes to put weird colors into my skin

Also, try not to be too hard on yourself. Drawing is a real hard thing to do and you're doing pretty damn well already. Just keep on practicing and studying as much as you can and you'll see improvement. Just try to be the best you can be and have fun on the way

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ecki View Post
    Hey there,
    You mentioned somewhere that you don't see any improvement since page 1.
    I just took the time to compare page 1 and page 4.
    Considering that your thread, pou, was started just two months ago... I agree that you're being much too hard on yourself and perhaps unrealistic.

Drawing well requires mastery of many, many different skills. These take time, unfortunately. You can learn faster and more efficiently, but it could take months and possibly years. Don't be discouraged, though. In general you're working pretty well right now toward good progress. It may be difficult to see at times, but stick with it... especially when you feel like giving up.

Good luck, and keep going.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, those last digital paintings you got up here look real nice. I can't paint or even draw on my iPad so I'm always super impressed by those that can.

That being said, your work, all of it, has a lot of life to it. It's very noticeable and only getting better. It's all getting more solid and tight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for dropping by my SB, and thanks for the sweet comment definitely agree with you on what you said. I need to finish my stuff.

As p sage said, you need to think of mastery in a perspective of time. Is it realistic to master a given area in a few months time without prior knowledge? No. It's more realistic to think of it in terms of years. And from that perspective, you'll see that it's better to be consistent with small steps, than taking giant leaps, and then drop out of it until you build energy to leap again. As other people mentioned: you're doing great. You're working hard, and working a lot. That's all you need. You KNOW that if you keep this up your skill will grow and you will get results. They might NOT be visible in the beginning. You might not even see changes for a few months. Truly! and that doesn't mean that you're failing. Not at all. The knowledge you gain will start expressing itself in the work you do. It's a promise.

Aoowwwwhh I was very very bad these past two days. Just look at my stuff
    Bad compared to what or whom? Algenpfleger? Bumskee? No, you were awesome. You've posted more drawings in your latest post than I have done these past 2 weeks. Applaud yourself for your effort man. You're pushing yourself consistently. You need to see your actions as a part of a long process. And as long as what you do is contributing to that process you are doing the right thing. Bad doesn't exist.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/8/2014

Ecki: Thank you so much for taking the time for your comment,
    is this perhaps the comment you were referring to? ( #61 post)

Name:  Screen shot 2014-01-08 at 6.40.14 AM.png
Views: 259
Size:  13.6 KB

This comment was about me wanting to show some of my older works that were completed before this sketchbook was created, but there wasnít much improvement until I began the sketchbook ( so no use showing ) Sorry if the sentence structure was confusing XP. Although I think my improvement speed isnít exactly fascinating, I can see at least a little improvement since the start of this Sb! ( Yay )
    HrmÖ how did you best learn how light and shadow react with form? From photo references, still lifes, etc? I still need better resources for this so Iíd appreciate all and any advice whenever about anything :I Thank you! And I am being tough on myself, itís tough not being hard on yourself, you know? Hhaha. Thank you so much again Ecki

Psage: Glad my comment could help you! Youíre right Iím having unrealistic expectationsÖand the reason why they are unrealistic, is because I just am not putting in the amount of work thatís needed for the kind of results I wantÖ In addition to considering the amount of time needed to harness these skills, Iím such a mess with planning things out bah. Thanks for the encouragement Psage and helping me realize that I had never put in that certain amount to attain it. So Iíll try working harder since I know Iím not working the most I can currently.

BillW: Haha I havenít tried drawing on an ipad before, but Iím sure itís not an easy task! Thanks ☺

DefiledVisions: Duuuudeee but you should draw more, push yourself if you can ;D!! My issue and why Iím feeling so down is because my standards are repeatedly not being met, and Iíve realized why with the help of your guysí comments. Thank you Iíll try to take each day as individual building blocks, I always have the problem of viewing my future as a whole and not breaking it apart in steps. I know Iíll improve in the future, but itís just not at the speed I wantÖ.and YEAH ahhah man, comparing myself to algenpfl. Heís probably the first idol I actually want to be like. * ____ * So cool I swear.

---

stuff, legs, feet for the first time, and eyes!

Name:  100_2777.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  28.6 KBName:  100_2773.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  32.5 KB
    Name:  100_2789.JPG
Size:  36.1 KBName:  100_2788.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  38.0 KB
    Name:  100_2787.JPG
Size:  33.9 KBName:  100_2786.JPG
Size:  33.0 KB
    Name:  100_2785.JPG
Size:  33.6 KBName:  100_2783.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  100_2781.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  31.5 KBName:  100_2780.JPG
Size:  30.8 KB
    Name:  100_2779.JPG
Size:  30.9 KBName:  100_2778.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  30.3 KB

unref

Name:  2.png
Views: 257
Size:  151.4 KBName:  100_2782.JPG
Size:  60.4 KB
    Name:  100_2776.JPG
Size:  56.2 KB

color study, skintone from imagination

Name:  skins1.jpg
Size:  40.9 KBName:  sdf.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

unref piece, and then showing it before auto corrections and sfx.
    Thinking I'm gettin a hang of greyscale...now I just need to learn how to draw 8D

Name:  kjdf.jpg
Size:  61.8 KBName:  sdfsf.jpg
Size:  68.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have I ever told you that I adore the way you draw faces? No? Well I do! Your unreffed stuff is getting much better. And I agree with others, you're being too hard on yourself, but I am guilty of that too... xD I always feel unworthy if I have not drawn something.
    Keep rocking and having fun!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,444 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Going through your sketchbook I see you as a very special person with lots of talent
    and great potential on your hands, the amount of motivation and will to improve
    is just unbelievable. You are also a very focused precise individual who takes great
    track of its own progress and achievements. I mean, just the way you reply to people and
    the way that you describe the things that you did on a certain drawings and paintings
    is for a great example to others, just how a quality sketchbook should look. The most
    crazy thing is that you are only 22 years old, I mean just compared to myself, when I
    was that age, I was rarely even thinking about art, I was doing like one or two drawings
    in a month, or spent a whole year without doing any art. You are so much better then
    I was back then, and I am absolutely sure that if you keep on going like this, if
    you really put your mind up to be an artist or illustrator, a sky is the limit for you.
    This is only a few months old sketchbook and there are already large steps
    of improvements, you already know tons over the basics, it really questions ones
    mind, is this the new generations of artists, is this the new breed? 20 or so years
    ago there was no internet, no google to look up for things, to find online books and help,
    but with todayís technology all the resources that one can get, all the contacts, advices
    and friendly help, combined with your will power and dedication to achieve and to
    succeed is just beyond any ones imagination.
    There are some great members of this community,
    and friends already visited your sketchbook and they already left many
    great advices and instructions, analyzed your work, and guided you in the right direction,
    so I really could not know what to say, to leave you as an advice, except that you should keep on going
    and you never give up doing art, draw, paint do many many studies and you will see
    that only in a few months from now, not to say years, your improvements will
    be something more than amazing to see. Trials and errors are ok, we all have them
    in our lives, we live to learn, so donít get frustrated too often. The only thing that you
    could do wrong is to give up on art and not touch a pencil again, that would be a great
    shame of course. I already feel very good cause you choose to visit my humble sketchbook,
    I am really not of a caliber to be tracked on, I am pretty chaotic and plenty of times I
    am not sure what I am doing and where am I heading. Thank you for letting me near
    your artistic circle, hope that we will stay in touch and keep exchanging our opinions,
    till our next meeting I wish you all the possible best, be good and let this year to
    bring its prettiest to you.

[last update; 21st June 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LtPlissken: Wow, you just touched my heart. I'm all teary eyed just by reading this. You're awesome man

@Pou:
    You're right... I misread that pretty hard, I'm sorry for that

Insane update! I love it. To get to your question: I think that I'm learning the most about light and color just by doing still lifes and observing the world in general. I've also watched a learning DVD once (Practical light and color, by Jeremy Vickery). It was pretty good, but I don't think that I would be behind if I hadn't watched it. Just try to observe the bouncing of the light as much as possible. You're totally on the right track, just keep on rolling. And to be honest... I'm also really insecure about light and shadow. That's something I'm doing a lot of studies lately, because I needed (and still need) them

I was just looking for some further tips that I could give you... but I just can't. You're tackling your weaknesses in just the right way, so keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the others have said already. You have improved A LOT from page one in a very short amount of time!
    Your sketchbook is an inspiration to me and I keep coming back again and again even when you haven't made a new update ^^. I agree that you're being way too hard on yourself, if you keep this up then you'll get to your goal in no time!

Only real crit would be that your proportions are a bit off in the first structure figure in post 99. Keep foreshortening in mind. Other than that you're doing the right stuff .
    Ps. Reading Ltplisskens respones ALWAYS brings a smile to my face. I could spend days just reading his posts on this site.

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/9/2014

Minella: Y-you like the way I draw faces? Thank you, try not to feel unworthy, SINCE YOU AREN'T. You just take your advice you've given me, and keep rockin it. Hard

LtPlissken: Dude. You must be the sweetest person on this art planet. Thank you for your encouragement. Yeah the internet really has made a difference, but there were still many artists who were amazing at younger ages even without the internet ;D This website definitely made a HUGE difference, there is so much support of each other. It has helped me keep goingÖ..and I really appreciate it. Ahhah of course!! Yeah definitely letís keep in touch if ever wished/needed Iíll tell you my full opinion and give hopefully helpful advice for you I enjoy giving back to others who give. Same to you!!

Ecki: Eckiiiiiii ; v ;7 letís struggle together! Iím sure we shall overcome the miles of hurdles in association with light and color. Thank you for your honest comment! NO YOU KEEP GOING aeheh, Iím sure you would without me even saying so. You have gained such momentum so it is difficult to stop drawing at this point right? It is for me now. Pretty much hooked with drawing and the process towards improvement pfft

Mrkolsyrad: Thanks Mrkolsyrad, I do hope so to achieve my goalÖgonna be a very tough road there, hope you stay along side me~. Glad I could serve as somewhat an inspiration ^ __ ^ Ah if itís not too much trouble could you perhaps redline my error? I canít see it now with my skill level I think and it would be a huge help if I could visualize it. And yeah ; _ ; hes so kind

---

Oh hey so school starts again in 5 days. I don't want to go back to that hole...but I must. Also my portfolio due date is actually about two months from now ( misread the directions lal ) so that's good news! for me XD

---

unref doodle, I see where I'm lacking so I'll work on that
    ( Yeah her arms are super flat ack )
    Name:  light-down-under.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  21.3 KB
    Studies
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  30.1 KBName:  adriana1.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB

More more more more more.
    Guess feet aren't something you can learn in a day or two.

Name:  100_2792.JPG
Size:  32.2 KBName:  100_2804.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  34.0 KB
    Name:  100_2803.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  35.3 KBName:  100_2802.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  37.2 KB
    Name:  100_2801.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  34.1 KBName:  100_2800.JPG
Size:  34.8 KB
    Name:  100_2799.JPG
Size:  31.9 KBName:  100_2798.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  100_2791.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  37.3 KBName:  100_2805.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  35.3 KB

---

Man CA is really glitchy for me right now. Making uploading and going on the site uncomfortable. Can't wait until switched servers ^ _^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update, Pou! And yeah, feet are a pain to draw, however poetic they look in stylised paintings, hehehe
    I like the look of the skins you paint... Do you have any special brushes that you can share?
    Dunno if I thanked you for commenting on my SB =] but thank you for the warm welcome!

Hello! I really want to be a good artist... Being a girl who can draw some mediocre things just won't do anymore.
    Can you help me? I want MOARRRR!!

-* Fer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello ! I've been checking out your work from time to time. It is inspiring seeing all that hard work, struggles, and such big determination. I think you are definately doing well. I like what LtPlissen said, you are very observant and critical. That is what it takes to become a great artist and you got it. You got a cool style going on and you are going to be a total bad ass in the future !

I noticed some of your figures are extra long. Be careful with the amount of space inbetween the rib cage and pelvis. Also remember that the belly button is in line with the bottom of the rib cage. Loomis has a great proportion diagram at beginning of his book. I like to just leave it open and refer to it when I am unsure.

Easy way to remember it is:
    from bottom of the head to bottom of pecs/nips = 1 head
    - from nips/bottom of pecs to bellybutton/bottom of ribcage = 1 head
    - belly button/end of rib cage to crotch = 1 head - this is the one you gotta pay attention
    - then 2 heads for top half of leg and 2 heads for bottom half

It's all on the Loomis diagram. Another good way to get it in your head is touch your body(lol) and feel that the belly button is aligned with ribcage and how there isn't that much space inbetween the ribcage and pelvis. Well actually, you can just look at your body when you are unsure of any proportions. Sometimes a diagram isn't enough for some reason and we just need to see it happen in real life to really have it nailed in our heads.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the proportions I wrote were for the male. I haven't paid attention to the female chart, but I'd assume it isn't much different. But ya check the books first !

Last edited by Kathleen Hang; January 9th, 2014 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Pou

glad to see updating

my crit would be reminders:

-when drawing go from big to small in everything: lines, shaped, 3D form...

wich means draw like chiseling on wood or stone.

-pratice your neck connections and proportions
    -if you get frustrated or tired, take a pause

keep working your nice rendering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow youīve been working hard yourself! youīre really improving on lighting and color! Some of those renders Very nice anatomy and gesture studies also,
    My only advice would be to do more unreffed stuff. Itīs when you see where youīre lacking you can really learn, going back between ref and imagination will help both greatly.

anyways. Keep up the amazing, awesome and inspiring stuff!
    Name:  sloth.gif
Views: 212
Size:  261.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pou! Thanks for the feedback you posted in my sketchbook, you really hit the nail on the head with your comment!

It's awesome to see how hard you work! There are so many great studies and drawings in your SB!

The biggest crit I have at the moment is to study and practice facial construction more. The end result of your studies look great (those Adriana Lima studies are beautiful!) but when looking at your work from imagination it's pretty clear that you don't fully understand the facial structure. At the moment your relying too much on rendering to make it look 3d. Hopefully I'm not too harsh, since it applies to me as well, it's a bad habit that I'm trying to fix.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god! You're just killing it! All those pages of awesome studies. Those photo studies are just lovely!
    You must be exhausted! No?

I'm still suggesting that you should give yourself a clear light source. Just draw one in the picture as a white ball, then image were the light would reach. Don't be afraid to add clear cuts between light and dark. At least that helped me a lot. You could also do some self portraits from a mirror! I think drawing that stuff from life is always great because you actually see it in 3D.

Let's keep it up together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/10/2014

Zerosete: Hello dear Thank you. You are going to dislike me for saying this but, there isnít really a special brush for skins that I use. When it comes down to it the specific brush doesnít matter all too much. Of course there are cases where this no longer applies, like individual styles/textures etc. But when it comes to fundamentals the defaults are perfectly fine and work well. However, I donít want to be that artist that gives a vague answer and avoids the question ( which results in absolutely no help to the person asking ). So here is my smudge brush I made myself that I used on the skins. You are going to want to delete this after you try it because itís so bad haha, but if you think it will help you. Go ahead
    My Smudge Brush: http://speedy.sh/drb74/Pou-s-Magic-SmudgeFudge.abr

Kathleen: Thank you for the information Kathleen, Iíll be sure to check it out. In fact Iíll spend a day devoted to just proportions. That day shall be soon. Soon

Zou: Hey zou~ Iíll work on both thank you for visiting again!

Stinkypanda: Youíre right. I shall try to do more unreffídÖI donít know why but Iím intimidated by it. But Iíll try to do more because I agree with you there!
    Ps. Sloths are really adorable, especially when they string their banjos

Rustveld: No problem, Iím glad I was able to help you. You are really not being harsh, in fact it was probably the kindest way you could have worded the advice ^ __ ^ Iím happy I thought the same and got started on learning basic 3D shapes today ( meaning like minds boohayahh ). Youíre completely correct. I appreciate you returning the favor of commenting back too

Ecki: YU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY THAT. You who did 100 heads. Yeah I saw that >___>7 Propropro over here. Yeah Iím really tired. Thanks, Iíll try some of thoseÖ I guess I donít really know how to do clear lighting source, which is embarrassing to admit. Oh I donít like doing self portraits too much. Iíve got asian face/features and so Iíd say Iím pretty flat and it will only confuse me more. Thank you though, sadly I think I learn more from photos of those with broader bone structures. Idk if I can keep up with you ;0

--

I donít know why I do these imaginary landscapes, itís not like Iíve been practicing or studying them haha. Auto color correct at the end

Name:  xkcgj.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  66.3 KB

Some quick color studies, resembling uiriamuís smooth technique a little because I think itís cool

Name:  frog-colortest.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  35.9 KBName:  aasdf.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  36.2 KB

I drew some hands but they were horrendous and I didn't learn much. I realized I couldnít do the perspectives so then I went and tried to draw a box and realized I couldnít even do that. So I have gone to the beginning started learning the point perspectives, which will hopefully aid me in everything. I get the idea of One point and Two point, but could anyone help me with Three point perspective? Iím really confused on how to start and canít find any helpful advices/sources on it. Thanks, much appreciated

Name:  boxi1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  24.8 KB
    Name:  dip1.png
Views: 182
Size:  52.3 KB
    Name:  pes.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  26.3 KB
    Name:  sdf.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  20.9 KB
    Name:  pes4.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.3 KB
    Name:  pes3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  pes2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  48.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pou. Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. I frequent yours, but I don't believe I've ever commented. I love the quality of your work so far, especially your drawings. There is something in them that is very compelling and full of life. You have an exciting sketchbook because I just can see that if you keep it up, you are going to produce exceptional work in the future. You've already got that somethin' somethin'.

If you've got $10 bucks to spare, I'd recommend the ctrl+paint perspective video series part 1. It is very basic, but it does cover 3 point perspective. It's good if you are intimidated with perspective, because he doesn't overwhelm you with too much info and you can see him apply the exercises step by step. He also included a few assignments and a working 2 point and 3 point perspective grid system you can play around with in photoshop.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Your sketch book is awesome. Really fast improvement, and I love your gesture studies as well as your shading!

Sketch Book
    Tumblr

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

~Last stanza in William Ernest Henley's poem "Invictus"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your improvement is amazing. not much to add that wasn't said already, you seem like you're in a good groove right now. keep pushing forward, and best of luck!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to see a self portrait of you. I don't think that Asian people tend to look "flat". I think it would really help you (You don't have to show it, but just do it )
    I also would have loved to see the hands you did! Just show everything, don't be ashamed – we've got nothing to hide O-O

To help you out with 3-Point perspective: The third vanishing point is for the vertical lines in your painting. Put it above the horizon line (for the "frog" perspective), or below the horizon line (for the "bird" perspective. Let me show you real quick:
    Name:  3-point.png
Views: 164
Size:  95.0 KB

I usually don't construct that point for real because It would have to be pretty far away from the painting. So I just drop in some converging verticals that roughly hit some point up or down.
    I hope this helped?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/12/2014

Grumpysaur: Ohhhhh that’s really sweet of you to say, it’s really encouraging. And thanks! I’ve gotten a Ctrl-paint video in the past and thought it was toooo basic, but I think it would be good now haha. I’ll check it out, thank you!!

Epoch: Thank you

Purb36: Thanks! I’ll try to get into an even better groove ahha

Ecki: Pfffffffffff if I don’t have to show the self portraits then you dont need to see the hands ;D ahhah. There's not tht many anyways. Okay okay I’ll try self portraits sometime in the future. I just think asian bone structures are a bit different, and the features are really far off from how I would like to draw. I’m sure I’ll understand that advice about 3PT completely eventually. Definitely a major help though. Thank you for taking the time to construct that for me ^___^ I'll be able to return the advice favor eventually

---
    A 30min study. Learned something new ;0 yay

Name:  adriana.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  62.0 KB

Idk what im planning with this

Name:  skechdf.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  69.1 KB

Bloop

Name:  100_2806.JPG
Size:  32.9 KBName:  100_2833.JPG
Size:  31.1 KB
    Name:  100_2832.JPG
Size:  28.8 KBName:  100_2830.JPG
Size:  30.2 KB
    Name:  100_2829.JPG
Size:  33.9 KBName:  100_2818.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  100_2817.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  32.9 KBName:  100_2816.JPG
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  100_2815.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  34.6 KBName:  100_2814.JPG
Size:  29.3 KB
    Name:  100_2813.JPG
Size:  35.2 KBName:  100_2812.JPG
Size:  33.6 KB
    Name:  100_2811.JPG
Size:  38.6 KBName:  100_2810.JPG
Size:  38.1 KB
    Name:  100_2809.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  37.0 KBName:  100_2808.JPG
Size:  41.9 KB
    Name:  100_2807.JPG
Size:  37.1 KBName:  100_2834.JPG
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  100_2815.JPG
Size:  34.6 KB

And poo unref. Yeah I'll be working on proportions soon.
    Name:  100_2819.JPG
Size:  45.6 KBName:  100_2820.JPG
Size:  48.1 KBName:  100_2822.JPG
Size:  48.4 KB

Alright guys, my school starts again tomorrow...and I'm taking even more than one class this time. Sooooo, it's going to get gnarly ( classes are 5 months long ). But I'm gonna be working a bit less as well. It evens out a little I think... Ah well, anyways just a heads up.

Last edited by Pou; January 12th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post 111
    nice color on the first image and the studies

good luck with your nexts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pou, thanks for showing the hand studies. i think there's a lot to be learned from them. i'm not sure if you've picked up the "Book of a Hundred Hands" by Bridgman, but i would totally recommend that over the Hampton stuff. i find Hampton's hands to look somewhat mushy by comparison, and how they connect to the wrist and how the muscles seem not as solid by comparison. he goes into what seems like a lot of structure, but it's more arbitrary construction (how he constructs the hand from a weird box shape) and misses the actual structure of the hand, like how the knuckles aren't all the same distance from the wrist, etc. anyway, i find Bridgman's book to be MUCH more helpful in studying hands. that's my 2 yen, hope it helps. i know there's soooo much you're working on right now, so i don't want to say too much, but keep up the good work.

Last edited by purb36; January 26th, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing progress Pou! I don't know whether u did this or not, consider watching proffesionals painting or drawing. Seing how they solve some problems can be real help in your progress. Keep up the good work!!!
    P.S
    I recomend watching: Dave Rapoza, Scot Robertson, Peter Stapelton, Feng Zhu

Check out my SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pou, holidays was great, but a bit tiring. I didn't get to draw as much as I wanted to. I have a bit of catching up to do, since seeing your sketchbook xP

I was going to say add some perspective, but it looks like you're already making the steps to apply that to your works. I cannot wait to see how those go. I think that it's gonna be great! Pou, as always, it's great to peek at your sketchbook. I'm going to do my best to learn to color so I can be as good as I can be with it. xD You motivate me to experiment!

Kill it it's moving! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1/15/2014

Zou: Thank you!!

Purb:
    No I havenít I will check that book out though! Yeah I thought Hampton would be good since I have such troubles with form and 3Dimensionality. I hope Iíll be able to see what you mean with the other book! Thank you thank you

Batonik: Oh I havenít, but thanks for the recommendations. Iíll give them a shot, I always fall asleep when just watching videos. Ugh. Iím sure it would be a major help though

Solita: Ah yeah the holidays are always tiring, but fun as wellÖ. Man people say I motivate them but Iím just a tired old bag of cheesy cheetos . But thanks Solita for your comment

---

WELLLLL I'm just going to go fall flat on my face and die now. Hoping the rest of the semester won't be like these past two days. But it probably will just get worse. Ah well, I know what I must do....and it ain't gonna be pleasant
    Gimme some motivations please people! I need someeeee ackkghhh gonna drown

Here take some poo and I'ma just go flop asleep now bye
    Everything I did was halfassed, sorry~
    ( But it's quite obvious )

SB pages

Name:  100_2843.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  36.1 KBName:  100_2842.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  31.3 KB
    Name:  100_2841.JPG
Views: 362