Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks

4/9/2014

CarmelW: Did you change your username or am I just imagining it …. Okay another reason why I’m not using oils is because of the price haha. Thank you for the tip I’ll be sure to remember it when I get into oils and I will definitely try oils one day! Another question about acrylics, does flowaid work better than this retarder stuff?

Grumpysaur:
    No I haven’t tried gouache!! I want to it looks sooooo great. But if you dilute acrylics a bit can it act the same way? ( I am cheap over here lol ) Thank you I hope so as well

EliseClaes: Thank you ^_^

Buxu: Yeah I haven't really dove deeper into perspective other than the basics so I forget how to think about it when not doing it for awhile, and then I have to restart at the beginning T___T but not anymore. I’m going to be doing some different harder stuff and thank you buxu

--

I’ve been so busy with other responsibilities and life poo that the only time to draw was to cut from my sleeptime so I’ve gotten 4hrs avg a night for the past week or so. Except on my birthday ( I slept 13hrs on that day ). Pretty much running on fumes and it’s why I don’t have much to show. That’s all I’ll go into talking about that because noo one likes a whinerbaby. I did however come up with a way to try and fit more art time in. Gotta kick my ass in gear!
    ---

Imagination… lots wrong with it that I could change, but I saw a little sliver of potential haha. Straight to color this time

Name:  wer.png
Views: 700
Size:  373.3 KB

Quick animal perspective studies, not exactly fengzhu but I’m finding it more comfortable with elipses currently. I’ll try the other way soon

Name:  form ref'd creatures.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  191.9 KB

self portrait. I don't even know what I look like anymore XD

Name:  selfie copy.png
Views: 704
Size:  358.5 KB
    The proportions are off… gotta learn how to make better judgement when not using lineart

Name:  1hrstudy.png
Views: 705
Size:  418.1 KB

I have a bit more time to art later today. The next post is going to be pretty interesting I think

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yaaaaaay SELFIEEEE!

Haven't been here for some time, needed a big fat ass break from CA! But here I am, and gurl, you be working as hard as usual. Very nice traditional stuff lately i must say. That charcoal figure drawing on the last page is very atelier'y, such wow, much like. I like your new ways of experiment with Photoshop brushes! Keep testing stuff

About your selfie, what works for me is that I just do a super fast lineartsy, not really lineart, i just point out roughly where everything is, but that's probably just super basic stuff. But making portraits that look similar to the person IRL is so hard. If I paint a portrait and one milimeter is off somewhere, that gets noticed soooo bad even though it's so ninja sneaky and subtle and silent. #Shgsuhishuf_rage. Would love to see more selfies coming!

And yeah... As far as much you're doing and different stuff always I don't really have anything constructive to say. (Sorry!!!) But yeah, love the dedication and motivation! Keep at it pou! Also late happy BF!! *gives invisible virtual cake*

Thanks

4/10/2014

Uiriamu: Welcome back!! Yeah I noticed you weren't updating but you did say in Buxu's sb about taking a break and all.
    taking time off is often necessary but glad you are back Ahhah, thank you for the advice, been experimenting without line start for the quicker studies... I agree I think I'll go back to lines. Too frustrating without. In fact I think I will draw more constricted lines. Thank you Uiriamu

---

Name:  100_3430.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  51.4 KBName:  100_3431.JPG
Views: 663
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  100_3428.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  71.5 KBName:  100_3427.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  61.4 KB
    Name:  100_3426.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  62.5 KB

quick-ish imagination. was a full image but kept changing things, disliking it.
    Things can be way more refined but theres a bad structure in the whole piece
    I must start with a goal! Think I will do constricting line art
    ( I did the lines afterwards, it's all one layer lol )
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-04-09 at 8.47.25 PM.png
Views: 669
Size:  326.9 KB
    15min study
    Name:  eye1.png
Views: 669
Size:  141.0 KB
    photostudy
    Name:  colorstudy.png
Views: 690
Size:  358.3 KB
    2hr total of masterstudy. Original http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ay-28-03-17-14
    Name:  frank t zumbachs study.png
Views: 691
Size:  665.0 KB
    Name:  form.png
Views: 654
Size:  493.9 KB
    first model made * ___ *... No clue
    Name:  form1.png
Views: 649
Size:  281.4 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha interesting thing doing the line work AFTER the painting. Try to plan the whole composition in the beginning before you paint. Even though you can just have fun and paint whatever you want, wherever you want, you should at least have some idea where things would look good etc. If composition was your problem, that is!

You did very well on the master study Colors is spot on! Also I'm impressed with your values on those fishies, they're so good. When I due value work everything gets so tame and not very.. exciting.

Thanks
    Hey Pou,

yeah I was Toffeeliz but I've had that username since I was 12, felt it was time for change. Great studies in here as usual. I would suggest, looking at your value studies, that you read "Oil Painting Techniques and Materials" by Harold Speed. Chapter 6 'Elementary tone exercises' suggests a procedure that you might find useful. The book is public domian so you can just read this chapter online.

I'm glad that you managed the self-portrait; you did great I think!

r.e. 'flowaid'some possibly useful info here. I've never used it though. I'm an oils fan through and through

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 908 Posts
    Hey

You're doing so many things ! can't critic ! tooo much :: brain melting down ::

First, your construction in the fish + values are impressive

i hope this will give you motivation to begin with a solid drawing
    (of course beginning with color is still badass)

photo study and master study are pretty good too
    for the master study:

-the drawing part is still important (seems you're not interested in XD)

- it seems you gave more colors to the skin than in the original, the hair lacks a bit of saturation no ?

- her hand and face seems important in the original, i suggest you give them more time

hope ith helps

good luck with your nexts

Thanks
    XD GRIMES! that face. very nice captured, i can almost hear her strange voice. the fishes are cool, some hardcore highlights would fit well. the values are nice, especially the right one, very well "connected" values, this makes it look 3d and bleivable. some clean value exercises would be helpful, even if its just something little but precise. hm and slow down sometimes when you draw, it helps to understand complex things. have fun ¦D

Thanks
    Wow, Pou! I really like your latest updates. They seem... less forced? I guess "more experimental" or "more free"? I don't know what word it is I'm searching for, but it somewhere along those lines

Your animal studies are really awesome (especially the fishes - I'm in love with them). I haven't checked with the color-picker, but I'm getting the feeling that the highlights in your masterstudy are a little bit too dark (maybe it's only that their glow is too small), they just don't pop as much as in the original painting.

I'm actually really impressed with your quick(er) gestures. They have such great lines and liveliness, yet they are kinda minimalistic in style. You're using a lot of ellipses in building your figures. I somehow can't do that at all, ellipses give me a very hard time to think of them as 3D-forms.

Thanks
    Very much yum ^^ . Especially Mr Fishhead hehe. It's nice that you're tackling with perspective too, very essential and handy skill.
    Master study is nice too! I agree with Zou tho when comparing with the original. Her face and hand seems to be more in focus in the original.
    Keep that in mind, what is the focal point? ( says me when I don't ever think about that myself lol. Hypocrisy much ). I think it was Marc brunet I heard it from over at youtube, the 30/70 ''rule'' ( Art is a lawless town ). 30% highly detailed and fleshed out and the other 70% slightly '' out of focus '' and not so detailed.
    Last edited by Mrkolsyrad; April 11th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks

4/13/2014

Uiriamu: Q__Q yeah everythings my problem. Especially composition. I need to study that. Thanks for the advice and compliment buddy. Values are fun once you smack them a bit…. Then some more.

Carmel: Oooh I see! I didn’t think you could change your username on here, nice to meet you carmel . I thought my values are better now nuuu. The fish are underwater so they have non extreme values and no shiny reflect scales in the photo. Unless you mean something else?? I still need to improve them lots youre right. Thanks for the links so much. I purchased some flowaid

Zou: You are the best yes T___T thank you. Yeah… No rebuttal! Thank for earlier really you are the bestest. you really helped me ALOT i teared up at how much I appreciate it.

Yuni: GRIIIMMEEZZZ!! Haha I actually did some highlights in my unref painting ( in this post ) Ahhh I will try to slow down. I need to! Thanks yuni

Ecki: Thanks for all the compliments. Yeah I was in a nonforceful phase. It’s fun to experiment but it is time to go back to a bit more discipline as well. Youre right about the masterstudy thank you! Thanks, elipses are my favorite over boxes they are more organic and fun 8D

Mrkolsyrad: Thanks! I often forget the rule haha and yessss youre correct about the masterstudy as well XD Everyone is! Thanks for the comment

--
    Chronological order I think..well generally

unref

Name:  fish.png
Views: 628
Size:  444.7 KB

studies
    Name:  leg value study.png
Views: 597
Size:  85.1 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-04-12 at 6.44.06 PM.png
Views: 612
Size:  101.3 KB
    a couple of the gesture pages are from imagination
    Name:  100_3436.JPG
Views: 589
Size:  39.7 KBName:  100_3455.JPG
Views: 589
Size:  36.7 KB
    Name:  100_3452.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  36.9 KBName:  100_3450.JPG
Views: 594
Size:  27.7 KB
    Name:  100_3451.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  34.9 KB
    these are bad. I tried something new and I don't like it
    Name:  100_3435.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  100_3438.JPG
Views: 596
Size:  29.6 KB

now that I remember, the colors are kinda off but it's good that I noticed for later observations from life

Name:  apple.png
Views: 616
Size:  283.0 KB
    Name:  bannanu.png
Views: 616
Size:  217.5 KB
    Name:  potato.png
Views: 620
Size:  354.8 KB

Sooo uh, I barely did anything these past three days ( cept work, school, a lil sleepin ). But then last night I decided I didn’t need sleep and I did 100 heads. I’d say 1/5th are imagination. These are out of order. I need my 2 hrs of sleep for the day XD....
    I learned ALOT and they look bad but I think this is one of those situations where you just need to crank out a billion while observing the process

Name:  100_3432.JPG
Size:  31.0 KBName:  100_3439.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  100_3440.JPG
Views: 598
Size:  32.5 KBName:  100_3441.JPG
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  100_3442.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  35.9 KBName:  100_3443.JPG
Views: 599
Size:  36.1 KB
    Name:  100_3444.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  36.8 KBName:  100_3445.JPG
Size:  35.9 KB
    Name:  100_3446.JPG
Views: 596
Size:  31.5 KBName:  100_3456.JPG
Size:  29.5 KB
    Name:  100_3457.JPG
Views: 598
Size:  30.5 KBName:  100_3449.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  38.9 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great stuff Pou! Lot's of work being done, I love it. That 'new' thing you're doing is really good, you can a sense of 3-D and form from those portraits, do more! Also that potato still life is fantastic, I'm still trying to figure out how you did the plastic! Fish head is nice, you're learning from your studies, though I think you need to paint more bodies and figures to match your fish skills . And 100 heads is good, always try and do these, but just try and get the construction phase down as well as you can, that in the end will set you on your way.

Thanks
    Hi Pou! Love how you paired the fish with the pose. You captured the wet fishy-ness very well. I'm thinking the top edge of Mr. Plastic Blanket Potato could be softened a little to give it more depth?

About gouache- I only used it a few times, but from what I can remember it feels pretty different from acrylics. No worries though, ain't nothing wrong with just sticking to acrylics. Just remember to thin it with a medium rather than water when you need it to be archival.

Thanks
    Great work !

doing those 100 heads in small amount of time is a great achievement !

the two sketches of the bald guy is good, why do you think they are bad.

you color studies are clearly real life reference.

Keep up the good work and don't stop being crazy XD

Thanks
    good practice makes better. lots of good practice here, lots of improvement. keep up the great work. it's nice how your drawings and paintings are looser (more lively), and yet tighter (and better executed) at the same time. you're on a good path; keep it up.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks

4/16/14

Sudafreekan: Thanks buddy . haha it was my first time painting plastic, I guess with plastic I found that it carries the hues of other materials and especially the lighting. Makes it a tad darker and duller while strictish reflecting bright light on the surface creases. I will work more on construction thanks again

Grumpysaur: Thank you I’ll be sure to observe the potato more closely next time! Thanks for the acrylics tip too, yeah I think I’ll stick with acrylics for the time being

Zou: Yep I can’t stop!! I got 6hrs of sleep last night and I feel crazy guilty for falling asleep instead of drawing more loooollll. It’s terrible

Purb: Thank you that means a lot to me, youre the same. I appreciate our discussion as well

--

I could whimper about other stuff in life. But heres the art
    ARGHHHH only one more month until I can draw freely. T____T

imagination.
    Name:  100_3471.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  45.2 KB
    I worked awhile on this... doing construction and everything underneath
    Man I'm tired of being a bad artist
    Name:  head imagination.png
Views: 556
Size:  183.0 KB

stuides
    Name:  100_3472.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  100_3469.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  100_3467.JPG
Views: 538
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  100_3466.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  53.7 KBName:  100_3463.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  42.5 KB
    Name:  100_3465.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  58.6 KBName:  100_3461.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  53.2 KB
    Name:  100_3476.JPG
Size:  56.1 KBName:  100_3475.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  100_3474.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  51.9 KBName:  100_3479.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  100_3478.JPG
Size:  59.2 KBName:  100_3477.JPG
Size:  44.6 KB
    Name:  100_3473.JPG
Size:  53.8 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow POU! You did the 100 heads challenge - And you've done great.

You could have alternated the head shape a little more often: skinnier, fatter, more/less cheekbones, etc.
    But I know how much of a drawing marathon that challenge is, so yeah - great job

The potato looks great, especially that plastic wrap. The potato looks a little wet, though. I think that's because of the very grey highlight.

Your anatomy is coming along nicely. What I don't like in your recent update are the necks. Take another look at the muscles within the neck and how they create the shape of the neck. This stuff can be really tricky

Keep up the great dedication and work

Thanks
    Great to see you working hard, that's a lot of drawing that you have been doing.

Here's a little paintover I did with some notes on one of your recent head drawings. It's mostly a case of paying attention to detail, even if it's a quick sketch and you want to keep it loose.

cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Hope this helps. Overall you're progressing pretty good. Just keep pushing. Also try to get away from painting/drawing symbols & paint/draw as they appear.
    Name:  100_3471.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  290.1 KB

Thanks

4/20/2014

Ecki: ooooh!! I actually practiced necks a little bit…still need more. I’ll pay more attention to highlights. Thank you really ecki means a lot.

Fireblade: Q___Q Thank you man, thank you. You can never really tell how poor your version is until someone just punches it in the face with their awesome fist of skill. And then it’s magically beautiful. Im going to try and recreate your version oohhh so magnificent

Punkhead: Thank you so much for taking the time for the critique!! I will keep these things in mind and practicing hands is a must for me soon.

--

This entire week I’ve felt down about everything… and the end of the week is here and I still feel the same way. Ugh it’s affecting my art and and no ☹ ☹ ☹ ☹ I hate feeling sad and complaining about it ( yet here I am a weak pathetic thing) Need to overcome. goorrraoooarrr I will now

Imagination… colored that one head, must go back to practice structure with fireblade’s version.
    Name:  imagaintion.png
Views: 417
Size:  382.6 KB
    BOOOBSS. Her torsos a bit long... mmm realized afterwards. Needa practice that as well XD and to not hide hands ( theyre so scary )
    Name:  siulhouette.png
Views: 398
Size:  200.2 KB

tried a different monitor...and the colors look like I was blind
    Name:  finger study.png
Views: 398
Size:  354.0 KB

Practiced shoulders/necks a tad. Next onto hands necks… then feet. blah blah
    Name:  hsoulders 1.png
Views: 396
Size:  147.6 KB
    Name:  100_3482.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  78.7 KBName:  100_3483.JPG
Views: 399
Size:  81.2 KB
    Name:  100_3484.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  76.6 KBName:  100_3485.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  77.3 KB
    Name:  100_3486.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  72.5 KBName:  100_3487.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  80.9 KB
    Name:  100_3488.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  84.2 KBName:  100_3481.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  74.3 KB
    Before I forget to mention, zou was a big inspiration to me earlier yeah!

Thanks
    Everthing looks good. Only thing I can suggest is to put those skills to the test in some illustrations.

Thanks
    Greeaaaat, i'm very glad you're doing making a habit of the 100 / 50 drawings.

I suggest you try to use only straight lines in some drawings. This is the best way to do structure/construction. And the less lines you do the better (to simplify more)

I think you're doing good for someone feeling down, I hope you'll feel better and keep this way.

Thanks for motivation too , i'm glad to draw with you

Thanks
    hey pou cool stuff, im liking that head from imagination, specially the nose is so damn cool, you can see all the planes.

and dont be sad sometimes is hard but well art is hard right,

cheers

Thanks
    Pou, i would like to see some (turn off the dirty-mind-part) "full bodies" xD... just some people doing stuff, like skating, cooking, jumping over SOMETHING- yes something because the exproession will be much more alive... i mean, just to see where you are. you are studying a lot, so as not to explode and loose hope or what ever, just put studies aside (not to far away xD) and do some gesture drawing from mind. just draw some figures that are doing something, not only sitting and staying there. "if you can have lively characters, they will make the story themselves" by Takehiko Inoue Q_Q so it isnt a bad idea to look at some mangas/comics for gesture and expression. anatomy is only one part of figuredrawing. give them some face expression and stuff so they dont look like zombies who wants to draw zombies for ever? except you work as an illustrator for the resident evil games XD (you would also learn a lot about the form of the muscle, how they are connected and in which ways they can be moved, like "form follows function".) have fun and keep drawing and do whats best for you.

(#345 is that a fu king dildo in her hand going to the other girls ass!!? °_°')

- - - Updated - - -

Pou, i would like to see some (turn off the dirty-mind-part) "full bodies" xD... just some people doing stuff, like skating, cooking, jumping over SOMETHING- yes something because the exproession will be much more alive... i mean, just to see where you are. you are studying a lot, so as not to explode and loose hope or what ever, just put studies aside (not to far away xD) and do some gesture drawing from mind. just draw some figures that are doing something, not only sitting and staying there. "if you can have lively characters, they will make the story themselves" by Takehiko Inoue Q_Q so it isnt a bad idea to look at some mangas/comics for gesture and expression. anatomy is only one part of figuredrawing. give them some face expression and stuff so they dont look like zombies who wants to draw zombies for ever? except you work as an illustrator for the resident evil games XD (you would also learn a lot about the form of the muscle, how they are connected and in which ways they can be moved, like "form follows function".) have fun and keep drawing and do whats best for you.

(#345 is that a fu king dildo in her hand going to the other girls ass!!? °_°')

Thanks
    Hey POU

Great updates! I see you've spent a lot of time on necks, they really need some time to sink in.
    In the b/w painting in your latest post, the girl has a really dark face. I feel that the face should really be a focal point in there, a little like that, maybe even brighter:
    Name:  siulhouette.png
Views: 363
Size:  93.3 KB

beside that, I really like how you play with light and dark values. Your values and brushwork is getting pretty awesome!

I don't know what that still life shows, but I really like the colours that are going on in there.

I need to second yuni, some drawings of people with a purpose (/that are doing something) would be really great! (Also, I find that dildo-comment very funny )

Thanks
    Sweet! Was going to comment about the edges but Fireblade did a freaking awesome paintover!
    You're tackling dem necks real nicely ^^, soon you will be a neck master. I agree with Yuniken tho, try to tell a story, even if you're just drawing a simple pose . I kinda feel like that's the single most important thing about art, to tell a story. Damn me and my opinions tho.

Now come back to us with the most awesomezors update of all time!

Thanks

Heyyyyy guys. Uh I hit a really bad time, won't go into it too much...
    Ill just say that I was extremely busy with real life combined with feeling very lost/negative with art.
    Let's just call this past week the week you get off for vacation once a year from work. I wish I wasnt such a wimp it really sucks

Anyways I didn't do much, only messing around with acrylic paints
    cept for a couple digital things like tonight

Name:  100_3509.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  67.4 KBName:  100_3492.JPG
Size:  80.7 KB
    Name:  100_3508.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  101.1 KBName:  100_3512.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  90.8 KB
    Name:  100_3501.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  122.5 KBName:  100_3499.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  123.7 KB
    Name:  h.png
Size:  142.5 KB
    Name:  exp.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  23.0 KB
    Name:  screen1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  60.4 KB
    Name:  fish2.png
Views: 297
Size:  477.8 KB

Also you guys made some really awesome points Ill keep them in mind for my practices

Thanks
    Cheer up chick, it's a great update - the black and white painting of a hand (digital) is great - some gorgeous transistions

Thanks
    you are such a great inspiration for me! I hope I get as good as you some day

Thanks
    Oh dw, everyone has art blocks. Some of us have them daily xD. You'll get through it! There's a ton of people on here that wish they were even half as good as you.
    I like the portrait you did! ( the 4th you posted ). Something id hang on my wall!
    Tis' really cool and brave of you to tackle real paints too, wish I was that brave hah...

You just gotta have the eye of a tiger and look your art blocks in the eyes!
    Last edited by Mrkolsyrad; May 1st, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    HI Pou

I Like the acrylic effect very much. Very painterly and full of life !

Also the 1 hour study (green mood) is very interesting

Imho, you have to find a balance between method and freedom in painting. Beginning with a light structure/gesture will make it safe to go crazy after. You won't worry about proportions later. The first two study seems having some proportions issues.

I hope it make sens

good luck with your nexts

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast