Thread: 0% connections

Thanks

Cool 0% connections

I'd like to hear some stories/ opinions/advises of someone coming from a family with no artistic background (say, your parents are engineers/ teachers/ managers and etc), whose friends are also not in the same field as you are. Literally, it's like you against the world. You definitely have no connection of someone-same-field-as-you in social circle. It's until you find the job
    "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint, then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

sketchpad x art blog

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You start from 0. It's hard, but that's what some people do. In fact, most artists here probably were and are in the same situation as you. I sure was. Very few I would think come from a background with both parents and familes with siblings and cousins who are all artists, good or bad.

I had no one in my entire family back for how many generations on both sides that had zero background in the arts, excluding when people say, "He/She had a creative side too!" which is obviously a distinction that doesn't matter. Zero, zip, nada, Big 0. Not one who could draw stick figures, photographers, painters, or anything like that. Father was a businessman/go-to-guy, into electronics, middle man, very skilled and and apt for anything. Mom was a simple woman and hard worker. Rest of the family on both sides were just going through life doing what they do.

As for friends, nope, none of that either. Growing up/In highschool I was perhaps the 'best' guy in my year for art (Although there were 2 girls who were insanely good/better than me). Isolating? Yeah sure. But it was something that I got used to and/or never thought about. My friends were my friends what few I had. Their 'job' was theirs, be it <x>: Consulting, waitressing, telemarketing callcenters, lawyer, musician, singer, teacher - whatever it was it didn't quite matter. As me being an 'artist' was pretty much a non-factor as well as much as theirs was to mine. It was 'stuff' we did to earn a living or as a trade/profession.

As far as connections, you make them yourself, slowly and starting out from zero. Here, on the forums. Get to know people, talk Join them on Facebook, improve your artwork, approach them - like literally everything else in life, 'art' is really no different. It's still a skillset that you work hard in just like any other.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    I feel you there. No one else in my family has any visual artistic interests themselves. They're all musicians! As such, it's been really hard to find good honest opinions of anything I do, because as far as they're concerned everything is the BEST PICHUR EVAR. Frustrating.

So glad I found this forum.

Thanks
    I guess that is why these forums and other communities exist. I am not from an artistic environment either, though my mother sort of likes art. Some local art friends would be great, but unfortunately I haven't really found those yet.

Thanks
    Yes guys, same here. Both of my parents are Chemical engineers. I have a few cousins who have an interest in art; they know how to draw but they aren't taking it seriously. It's indeed hard, especially when you ask for critiques or some tips/ advises but they keep on complimenting.

Local art friends, I don't have one although I am enrolled in an art course. The relationship of me and my classmates are only "classmates". We don't really talk about art since we are having different interests - street art, print media, comics and etc. The reason (aside from possible thefts) why I don't like sharing my art here locally is again because of compliments when I need only critiques.

Now, literally, I have 0% connections except here in CA

I'm also thankful I found this forum!
    "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint, then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

sketchpad x art blog

Thanks
    Yes guys, same here. Both of my parents are Chemical engineers. I have a few cousins who have an interest in art; they know how to draw but they aren't taking it seriously. It's indeed hard, especially when you ask for critiques or some tips/ advises but they keep on complimenting.

Local art friends, I don't have one although I am enrolled in an art course. The relationship of me and my classmates are only "classmates". We don't really talk about art since we are having different interests - street art, print media, comics and etc. The reason (aside from possible thefts) why I don't like sharing my art here locally is again because of compliments when I need only critiques.

Now, literally, I have 0% connections except here in CA

I'm also thankful I found this forum!

sketchpad x art blog