Anyone know the Cintiq refresh cycle?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anyone know the Cintiq refresh cycle?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone know the Cintiq refresh cycle?

So now that all the Cintiqs are available it would seem to me like incremental refreshes are coming. This has been more frequent in the Intuos models but we did see a refresh of the 21UX. Do you think we could see something anytime this year? It's hard to believe the 24" and 22" are a year old already.

I think something like the AG coating and parallax improvement could be done with not much of a big deal.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still no thoughts? Surely with Yiynova, Bosto, Monoprice and Huion having decent offering Wacom will not sit still. Do you really think we wont see a new Cintiq this year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless they plan on making a Cintiq larger then 24 inches, I doubt we'll see anything more significant beyond a refresh of the same overall products.

With the Exception of Multitouch Added, the Intuo 5 and Intuos Pro from a pen standpoint is no different from the Intuos 4. Even if they bumped the Pen Specs up to 4096 Levels of Pressure and .01 grams of activation force...you wouldn't notice any difference from the Intuos 4 Pen tech.

At best the most substantial updates we could ever hope to see would be Thinner and Lighter Cintiqs with Better Screen Resolutions. And since detachable Desktop/Tablet Hybrids are becoming more common place, I would love to see an All-in One Devices...like a 21/24 Inch Cintiq with a Computer built into it like an Imac. Or like a Supersized Cintiq Companion.

However regardless of what Wacom comes out with next...I can almost guarantee that they could care less what Yiynova, Bosto, or any of the other vendors puts out. Wacoms at the top of the hill, and it would take a superior pen based system or a really incredible product for Wacom to even take notice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    and it would take a superior pen based system or a really incredible product for Wacom to even take notice.
    I think that with ~20 inches devices with decent digitizers for the price of the C13HD, Wacom will be quite challenged on the lower part of the market in 2014. At least Yiynova ond co's offers could have been of interrest for hobbyist like me ... if I weren't a Wacom thickhead fanboy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Likoum View Post
    I think that with ~20 inches devices with decent digitizers for the price of the C13HD, Wacom will be quite challenged on the lower part of the market in 2014. At least Yiynova ond co's offers could have been of interrest for hobbyist like me ... if I weren't a Wacom thickhead fanboy...
    If you look at least at recent history:
    The 21UX had a few revisions from Intuos3 tech to Intuos4 ending in the DTK-2100 in 8/2010 (along with a price drop)
    The 24HD was released in 6/2012 at $2499 although it was announced earlier, also based on intuos4 tech.
    The 22HD was announced an month later in 7/2012 and released 8/2012 based on intuos4 tech ($1999), you can find them for $1849 at a few places as of 1/2014
    The 24HD Touch was released 7/2012 at $3,699, the price dropped 12/2013 to $$2999
    The 13HD was released 3/2013 at $999
    The 22HD Touch was released 4/2013
    The Cintiq Companion/Hybrid were both released 10/2013

Anyway, the point of this little history lesson is Wacom has been pretty much active with their Cintiq and Intuos releases. Far more than before this list. I can easily see revisions to the 22/24 line. The original 24HD is already in its second year and can be slimmed down. It makes sense for them to just offer touch models like Intuos now. It doesnt make sense to offer touch on your Intuos line and have non touch models at the top. I expect a 13HD touch as well, looking at the history they release about a year later.

What makes the most sense is a 22HD Pro (with touch) at $1999 and a 24HD Pro (with touch) at $2499 although both will probably be higher. The non touch versions are all about pricing and getting people in at a lower cost but the touch price point is not really working for them. Look at the integration of touch into the Intuos line, it didn't really impact the price at all. From a brand standpoint, that keeps them competitive and offering a premium product as well.

Last edited by jhferry; January 12th, 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 20