Sketchbook: BlindLynx Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BlindLynx Sketchbook

Well, happy to be here. Here I will post my stuff. I'm a pro in traditional art since 2006, but I've just bought my first wacom this month (October 2013), and I wanna get better in digital. So here I will post all the new stuff.
    BlindLynx Sketchbook

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BlindLynx; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome

I'd be interested in seeing some of you traditional work aswell
    As far as digital is concerned I think you'll find it difficult to use hatching or crosshatching to any great effect in digital. At least it won't be as useful as with a pencil. It's best to start getting used to using big brushes and big brushstrokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let start with some fast skatches I made last week, with "The Great War" (by M. Monicelli, 1959) as reference. Just for exercise hand to the new medium and try some signs.

Name:  la grande guerras.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  583.6 KB

And this is another I made for a friend

Name:  dide08.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  314.1 KB

@Jondawo - Thanx =)
    You can find my traditional on my work site: www.lasalandra.net
    About what you said, well, I feel confy and satisfied at the moment. Actually in drawing, my hatching is very similiar to what you see here (the b/w especially), strong and caotic. I didn't draw for years from when I paint for profession... In fact using big brushes is more fun, but I wanna buckle down on tiny gesture... We will see )=) I'll take a look to your stuff, I already saw a couple of you work for challanges and they were grand.

Last edited by BlindLynx; October 28th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, isnt' right a sketch, but almost finished work, anyway I wanna post it here.
    I make it digital but I’ll put in on canvas soon. Inspired to Rembrandt self portrait in costumes I weared this basco (the old hat for painter) and this Nepal wool short cloak. Is a 3 hours work using photos as reference.

Name:  04j.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  426.8 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Lynx, looks great. I think the foundations you have in traditional will make picking up the Digital art really quick. You already know about edge, light/shadow, color theory, and composition. I think your move to digital will be a pretty easy transition from what I've see here.

The best thing I think you will get from the Digital side is being able to produce works very quickly once you find some techniques that work for you. Just like having the right brushes, knowing the right buttons to push and how to customize the digital process to fit you will eventually make you able to produce works very quickly.

Also thanks for Stopping by my sketchbook! Drop in anytime, and I'd love to have critiques from one of your caliber, but I don't discourage any critiques from any level, they'e all welcome.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats BlindL! Hope the baby is healthy and well!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aissa78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too much time I do not update stuff here. In 8 months I'm already changing. Crits are always appreciated.

Name:  AchabWIP.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  182.2 KB

Name:  Achab04.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  134.8 KB

Name:  tombwip.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  235.4 KB

Name:  tomb03.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  247.3 KB

Name:  oniwip02.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  234.6 KB

Name:  oni02 legs modfinalsmall.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  248.4 KB

Name:  babysitter01small.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  304.6 KB

Name:  babysitter03.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  372.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another massive upload.

Name:  02sublime1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  330.9 KB

Name:  gazer01.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  sun01s.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  253.8 KB

Name:  sun05 (ritaglio)small.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  398.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ujjalloh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice paintings, I do prefer your concept directly done from brush strokes than the sketchy lines, but in both we could a great dynamism.

lepetitgroin on facebook
    Behance Portfolio

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lepetitgroin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys.
    @lepetitgroin - I agree with you, that's because I'm a pro traditional painter since 2006, and I didn't drawn for YEARS, but focused on colors and composition, always with reference. My goal in next year is to reach a good level of drawing with no reference at all. But with a wife, two children, and my work time for exercise isn't much. Anyway that's my direction. Thanks for your crits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is The Sunken Village, an environment I made for EOW challange. The first EOW I won. So honored!
    Here under an intro I written for this piece.

<We lost everything, my son. Our family, our homes. War devastated the country, and Sister Death brought dears with her… But The Grand Wave was even worse: she tooks away our land. Every single stone, and path we called with a name, forever gone with our children, brother, and wifes. That’s true: the old manor survived. The bell’s tower’s still there too. But in the silence of those bells all I can hear is… The Grand Wave’s laugh>>

Name:  sunken04.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  325.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And do not forget to visit us at http://wizardsduelgame.wordpress.com/

Wizards’ Duel will be a tactical turn-based RPG with an heavy focus on emergent gameplay and procedural generation of levels. With a 2d graphic design based on pixel art mixed with textures, ispired by masterpiece as Sword and Sworcery, Hyper Light Drifter and Transistor.

Wizards’ Duel is about two wizards battling each other for their own motives. In this game magic comes from making pacts with powerful spirits to harness their powers. The game is then about exploring different locations to fight powerful spirits and acquire new powers while your rival is doing the same.

The gameplay will be centered around using and combining the powers that you have acquired. For example you could use “ice” to freeze a path under the feet of your enemy and then use “wind” to push them to their death at the bottom of a pit or join them together to cast a power blizzard that will hurt and slow down enemies in an area of effect.

This mechanic joined with the impossibility to get all the spirits on the same run will hopefully create a game where strategy and tactics blend together to form a deep and replayable experience.

We have just opened our blog and started to build the game. You could consider to follow us and live with us our adventure: we need smart supporter as you!

http://wizardsduelgame.wordpress.com/

Name:  mages-duel03.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  229.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sabralor, The Nightmane. Prince of Nirigale, Instinct’ son. He dances to the last sun, while the falcon flys his last flight.
    <<I’m a betrayer, and I deserve death. But just a privilage is what I ask for: to die not for nothing, but lose my life for protect my people>>.

Begining of April 2014, about 8 hours (too much!) with body reference. This was for a Chow, with a classic D&D theme, the sword dancer. I tryed to not twist it at all, and just give the clichè as much style as possibile. These are the first fantasy sword I faced, and I'm quiet proud of that. And the japanese style tatoo, and the pants are all made with my first attempt to use other brush than the brushes preset. A funny note: I was SURE to win that Chow round, but than a bunch of better artwork came out, and I just got 4th.

Name:  BladeWIP.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  240.2 KB

Name:  Blade06final02st.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  390.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some COW ago...
    The Anklet Alien Biters, some lesser enemies for a FPS. This was a real challange for me. Creatures, sci fi, thumbs project: totally out of my comfort zone. I've learned a lot with this, especially on thumbs and silouettes. I'm not very satisfied with the final, but this one is one of my first works colored in overlay on B/W.

I'm producing a lot for our new game http://wizardsduelgame.wordpress.com/ so, I cannot show my new stuff at the moment, but soon I will post it.

Name:  Alien Biter.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  Alien Biter01.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  310.1 KB

Name:  Alien Biter03small.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  472.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And all what a concept artist need is boost with moody thumbnails.
    From some EOW ago, Aracnid's Lair... I've learned a lot from this exercise. Thumbnails are life.

Name:  Aracno01.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  558.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A nightly middle state I was so angry with and the final for the Aracnid's Lair.
    <<Today, everyone who see a big spiderweb and a wanderer with a spear, understand what’s going on. Darkness, fullmoon, torch’s light: that was too much clichè. I prefered to clean off all the fake romanticism, and just keep it bright. If it was a game or a film, this would help to change the mood, when you in the lair, facing the enemy>>

Name:  Aracno02.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  422.0 KB

Name:  Aracno05.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  493.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple months ago after lunch, when my children and wife were sleeping, I used to pick up at daily masters' studies posted by Black Spot and past in that way one hour or two. Here some results.

Name:  Vasily_Dmitrievich_-Polenov_Paesaggio2hour.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  471.5 KB

Name:  Frederick-Edwin-Church-Coast-Scene-Mount-Desert02.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  484.5 KB

Name:  man_with_gloves-large Titian01.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  501.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh woah neat master studies
    So yeah probably should write a big critique here but I don't have anything to crit here XD
    Good thing you avoid clichés (with that spider web and such)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sushy You're sweet =) There woul be a lot to crit here, as the lak of B/W studies for value. But thanx for stop by. Oh, and about clichès, I really like them, and I think all art is about em and their twist. A big hug

All right, tday I will post another old work... Soon the newst will come!

Another master study

Name:  moonlight-larges.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  1.09 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was my second serious attempt on a sci fi. I was satisfied with that, but in a couple months I see all the weakness... Gotta work more!

This was a Chow on this premise:

Some people who have money or power are usually targets for some sort of crime and usually hire a body guard for protection. Boris, is known in the criminal as someone not to mess with. If the price is right, he will protect any scumbag or royalty willing to pay him enough. He is imposing, dangerous, but something about him is just so charming! Physically intimidating, but somehow relate-able and approachable.

and under that you can find a short story I wrote as presentation.

Name:  boris wips.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  Boris06.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  521.8 KB

The Client was shaking on the chair.
    - Are we sure, he is the right man, Arcane?
    Arcane the Vendor smiled.
    You doubt because he never worked for you. Boris is able to tear down those Ukkamon heads with a bite.
    - This is my worry. This time we’ll not break in and make their brain blow up with a shotgun, mi spiego? This time are buisness. Accurate and rigorous matters.
    - You already explained – the Vendor said. But he known the italian would have continued his talking.
    - A present mind is requested, more than a hair trigger, mi spiego? There will be the Black Emperor’s family. There are rules, etiquette, capisci? I would not make a bad impression! There are wifes, fiancèès, and the children…
    - That’s why you need Boris.
    Than Arcane’s eyes got attracted by the holoscreens. The full armored figure cross on the intercam’s monitor. Metal steps reverberate on the ante-room’ synthwood floor. Than the door opened like a steel flower and Boris came in, trample over the blu carpet with his spiked soles. He got a plasma minigun with him. Shielded by the neonvisor, his eyes rest on Arcane, than on the Client.
    The italian man frown, looking at the red titanium armor. It was furrowed with many colored traces… The client stare at Arcane with interrogative face.
    - Is a pleasure to see you again – the Vendor smiled. – I heard you came back on Earth for Easter.
    - Ya – was the bold colossus’ answer. – But now me is here for job. Wanna hear about the mission.
    - Hey, hold on, hold on… – the Client jump on his feet, hands taut forward. – Is this Boris?
    Arcane assented with a smile. The italian open wide the eye, astonished.
    - Are you kidding me? Is this the giant mercenary? The atrocious bodyguard? – The Client had a laugh, and claps his hands. – Did you find him at the nursery school?
    The smile on Arcane’s face disappeared. Was never a good idea to laugh at a Contractor. – Boris, listen to me, the Client, he doesn’t know you…
    Boris let the minigun fall with a rumble. He advanced towards the italian untill the neonvisor tint his round sweaty face.
    - It’s just curiosity, eh! – the Clint tryed to explain. – They said you were a tough one, then you came here all doodle’up…
    Boris freezed. He step beckward and look his own arms and the breast. Colored cholk’s draw whirled on the armor glaze. A little monkey face was smiling on his left arm, and a big heart on the right one. He smiled. – This are not doodles.
    - Aren’t they? – the italian Client ask ironical.
    - No. This are warpaint!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Major improvement over the last 6 months.
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx Wilkerson! Even if I'm not sure about it... If I look at my very first concept here, the Zombie Ahab, and the last one, Boris the Loveble bodyguard, well, I do not see all that difference... Sure I've learned things, and I acquired speed, but there is some freshness and rage in the first work that got lost with technic... In last 2 months I had to past all times with my childrens so was hard to spend time to work, but with next September I will start again with serious concepting.

Here is another work from the last 3 months:
    Made for a COW challange, it was a Pokemon's remake. I've gone for Arceus, the Pokemons' god, but I twisted it like a sci fi mecha (read the bg hereunder). I was pretty satisfied with it, because I'm not confy at all with sci fi stuff and hard surfaces despite the fact I really love em. I plan to work more in this direction in the future. So, here is:

A.R.C.E.U.S.
    (Ambulant Research Center for Evolution of Ultimate Species) from damaged matrix of Tajiri Inc, year 207 after Last War.
    <<The development of A.R.C.E.U.S. by Tajiri Inc. have the purpose to build a mobile laboratory for synthetize artifical life. After the terrorist squad known as The Rocket conquered the United States of America and the Two Russias, the Corporation of Orient need to find the same tecnology. A.R.C.E.U.S. will be controlled by our AI, and commanded on remote. Equipped with most advanced components and sophisticated fire weapons, AI will experiments for find the Ultimate Species, creatures able to confront The Rocket’s monsters.

Fatal error. Matrix corrupted.

Name:  Acheus01.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  278.3 KB

Name:  Acheus7.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  493.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steampunk Storm Chaser

I’ve worked on this for 4 hours, and I’m quiet happy with the final. I’ve choose to upload a bright simple animated gif, for a sure eye capturing effect. Oh, and the man’s face is inspired on Nicola Tesla portrait, the body is a study on Velazquez “portrait of Don Diego de Barberana”. The apparat on his pack it’s based on Tesla Coil, in this days built in Ohio for new study on thunders.

Name:  steam01.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  176.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glemourous Gripphin for a COW. I wanted to paint it in a D&D 3.0 style, you know what I mean.

Name:  glam griph.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  225.1 KB

Name:  glam griph03.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  377.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your work. Your characters are really interesting and intricate. Especially love the character in #15. Keep up the awesome work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @stripeyshirt - thank you, I love that character too, his name is Sabralor. I had a pause from characters' design, focusing on environmental (is simpler if you need as me to get familiar with digital brushes).

Hereunder my last finished CHOW. This time I was very near to win, but at the end I just got second (if I remember well). I tryed to stick to clichè but with the maximum quality I can. I'm satisfied, especially because I did not used any references for this one but my imagination. As my wife, Silvia, use to repeat me: <<you are better than your references>>. This time she was right, but still the road is long and hard… Anyway, from now on I’ll begin to send my portfolio around for freelance works and maybe something will happen.

Name:  fallen angel03.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  333.6 KB

Name:  fallen angel04.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  426.1 KB

Name:  fallen angel09.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  693.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a CHOW I didn't finished. I wasn't happy with last results, even if the starting thumbs was not bad. This is a sketchbook, so I mean to share not only the best.

Name:  bullriderthumbs01.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  313.2 KB

Name:  BullRiderGeneral.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  314.7 KB

Last edited by BlindLynx; August 27th, 2014 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the second character I painted with the Wacom. I was quite satisfied, but I choosed to study more, and then I find this wonderful place for learn.

I love clichè. They give you opportunity to be creative with overused tropes and characters and try to overturn em. I’ve painted this one today with my new Wacom. He’s Niordheim, a warewolf orphan. As a ranger (if we are talking about D&D classes), he’s peculiar, in fact he can’t step nears animals because his licantropy. In addiction he’s not the classic “ranged ranger”. He’s not good at bows, neither use the two weapons style. He just have a simple sword for everyday, and the “Drajersker” for bosses. He dislike to chat (obvious) but he love to read(overturn!). He's misantropous, but still is a very good friend for who can stand his long silence. By the way in fullmoon he kills anybody =).

Name:  niordheim2013_01.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  167.6 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 141