Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
Results 1,711 to 1,718 of 1718
    Thanks
    Awesome news Pind - and well deserved too. That Pathfinder cover is sensational and I'm sure your first MTG art will be too.

As Paco-Judge says above, thanks for sharing your experience. I've noticed that the art scene on social media is a pretty well contained circle-jerk of "top" artists who don't venture far from their circle of industry friends. It's very much like this on Artstation too. I think if I ever shoot for MTG again (perhaps a few years down the line) I'll do what you did and see if I can get my portfolio under the eye of an AD or somebody else in the loop.

Again, congrats.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Congrats, man. Shame on them for not noticing you sooner. Your art seems to have always been MTG material.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    edgarej - thanks

fantasy - hey, what goes around comes around. when i first joined this forum there were so many inspirational people (that have moved on)... so I am just paying it forward

ShinyGray - thank you. well i am glad it is happening now.... i think i am better equipped to handle an MtG assignment now then before. so in hindsight, i am happy with the timing.

PacoJudge - well here's the thing, there are only a few ways to be "seen" by an AD. Meet them at a convention, email them samples of your work, get a portfolio review by them, post your work all over the internet and hope "someone" see's it, submit to the company they work for. All of those are going to have various levels of success, but by far meeting them in person is going to be the most successful. Please don't get me wrong... posting online is important to varrying degrees as well for exposure.... I have gotten soooooo many freelance gigs from Artstation and Deviant Art. Ultimately the point I was making with my story is that if you aren't going to post online you are going to have to find out some other ways to get your work seen. Many foreign artist fly overseas for portfolio reviews... when you are finally at the required skill level and producing the quality work that a company would want you are just going to have to make the hard sacrifices to get that "meeting" or "exposure." If I were you, I would start a small "art fund" and start putting smalls bit of money away so that when there is that one online course you want to take or there is a mentorship class you'll have the resources to invest in yourself. If you are in Europe I would make some serious efforts to go to Trojan Horse Was a Unicorn.

Dave - yeah, it's a bit of a popularity contest unfortunately, and I didn't want to play that game any more. Agree about getting it in front of an AD... but hey look at Kimonas, he posted on reddit and Cynthia Shepherd just happened to see it; so everyone is going to have a completely different experience. I fully admit I took this mentorship because I knew Dawn was going to be the special guest in Donato's class... and luckily for me the gamble paid off. That being said, if it wasn't for Donato helping me take my art to the next level I don't believe it would have panned out it did.

pilgo - thank you, the stars finally aligned.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man congrats! Totally deserved, and really should have happened a long time ago i reckon. So happy man, you made my day!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Was supposed to spend the morning working on a freelance piece, but forgot the files at home. Sooooo... I started messing around with the Air Supremacy piece... and it evolved into something more personal and visceral. Also thought I would challenge myself with MtG card dimensions again. I have the habit of wanting to draw all the "elements" of an image for instance in the previous WIP the whole dragon and angel were visible.... I don't NEED to show the "whole" thing all the time which is what ultimately led me to this challenge: what is the bare minimum I can show and still deliver the message. It's not perfect (that dragons hand needs a lot of attention!) but I like the direction.

Also this is essentially another fan art piece... really love Michael Komarck's angles... so yeah.... the angel design is an homage to that.

Name:  air-supremacy-wip.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  171.0 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes!!!! I'm so happy for you pindurski! You accomplished you goal!!!! Thanks for sharing that long post describing how you got there and lessons learned. I can't wait to see the work you do for MTG, it's going to be awesome. I hope you have time to keep posting personal work here! Some of us learn a lot from you, and most importantly, really really enjoy looking at your art!

Thanks
    alvaromartinlop - Thank you. MtG was a goal but not the goal. The goal is to ultimately quit my day job so I can do art full-time. This goal puts one more good paying client into my list which brings me closer to that

I've nothing to show, but this post cast/vlog from Matt Rhodes is a great example of how all those shitty and rough wireframe mannequins and rough sketching and blocking-in start to all come together to create an illustration. Notice he doesn't just start drawing out of nowhere... there's much thought about story and composition... that actual drawing happens after a lot of work has already been done. You can watch it here.

Thanks
    Congrats man! I honestly thought with your caliber of work that you were already a professional! Thanks for sharing your advice and journey! I agree with the whole social media thing, I feel like its counter intuitive and just a rat race. Once I'm done with these projects I'm gonna go crazy with mentorships and online courses ie learned squared etc. Going to re read some of your posts, thanks for sharing!

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58