Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 1760
    Thanks
    I wasn't going to use photo textures, but I am running out of time... have to paint over them to make them blend properly and not make it look like texture are just slapped in, but at least the finish line is in sight.

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  225.6 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  179.1 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Damn, Daniel! (」゜ロ゜)」 Your compositions and rendering are getting better and better! I've noticed that you don't have any problems with placing the figure into the environment, that's a skill))

Thanks
    This just got spoiled so I can show it. This is the second of six and my favourite one out of the lot... My only regret is that I only did this at 4000px wide which is why it's fuzzier then I would like... with my later covers i did them at 10,000px wide I'll post the process image tomorrow.

Name:  PZO90128.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  175.8 KB
    Name:  PINDURSKI_WarForTheCrown_2_small.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  230.8 KB
    Name:  PINDURSKI_WarForTheCrown_PrincessEutropia.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  110.1 KB

Thanks
    Dat fabric man, just delicious. Cant wait to see the rest of the set!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey you might not have heard this handy cheat for making photo's look more painterly quick it's blur and then choose smart blur

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EliClaes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's the process on that last Pathfinder images. Like I said, I wished I had at least doubled the canvas size on the half page illustration..

Name:  Eutropia_process1.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  127.8 KBName:  Eutropia_process2.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  145.7 KBName:  Eutropia_process3.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  168.9 KBName:  Eutropia_process4.jpg
Size:  111.7 KBName:  Eutropia_process5.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  116.0 KBName:  Eutropia_process6.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  126.5 KBName:  Eutropia_process7.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  canal-battle_process1.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  201.4 KBName:  canal-battle_process2.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  212.8 KBName:  canal-battle_process3.jpg
Size:  165.7 KBName:  canal-battle_process4.jpg
Size:  187.2 KBName:  canal-battle_process5.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  201.3 KBName:  canal-battle_process6.jpg
Size:  205.6 KBName:  canal-battle_process7.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  219.1 KBName:  canal-battle_process8.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  227.0 KBName:  canal-battle_process9.jpg
Size:  239.7 KBName:  canal-battle_process10.jpg
Size:  242.6 KBName:  canal-battle_process11.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  271.7 KB

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks great, the dress on the lady especially...wow

The cover is good, it has a lot of things happening and a lot of characters, good stuff.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is so sick Pindurski. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing your process it's super helpful, you are super talented! Those materials on the skirt, you can see the silkiness. Quick question: how do you plan these scenes? You probably have a spec from your client, they probably told you about the swamp and stuff, and in your previous environment scene it you had the same archer and knight, which makes me think you designed them individually before working on the scenes. How do you brainstorm and think/design poses, story, composition, and move forward? Do you do a lot of thinking without drawing?

Also thanks for answering my last question!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaromartinlop View Post
    This is so sick Pindurski. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing your process it's super helpful, you are super talented! Those materials on the skirt, you can see the silkiness. Quick question: how do you plan these scenes? You probably have a spec from your client, they probably told you about the swamp and stuff, and in your previous environment scene it you had the same archer and knight, which makes me think you designed them individually before working on the scenes. How do you brainstorm and think/design poses, story, composition, and move forward? Do you do a lot of thinking without drawing?

Also thanks for answering my last question!
    Alvaro, yes I am given a design brief by client. I believe that brief said it was to take place in an old ruined aqueduct/canal with the main characters in a small boat being attacked by ghouls. Merisiel (the elf) is being pulled into the water by a ghoul and the Cavalier is holding on to her hand whilst, the Psychic is using a blast to drive another ghoul away.... something like that. The rest was up to me to decide the time of day and to try and make it as intense as possible. Those characters in the illustration are Pathfinders Iconics... so they already exist and have been painted hundreds of times already so that makes my life a little easier!

Thanks
    Absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing all your wip's it's always interesting to look at how others work

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And calling this done! On to the next project.

Name:  full-image.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  209.0 KB
    Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  272.3 KB

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Turned out really well, great job!

Thanks
    Thanks Denis. Still struggle with getting enough midtowns... I think that it turned out a little too dark.

A study to break things up.

Name:  study.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  198.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanks again for those process shots. I'm stealing that shit!

Thanks
    rau - I hope some of it is helpful!

SmArtschool starts next week and the first assignment leading up to the initial class has been handed out. I ended switching classes for various reasons, which they graciously let me do, to Donato Giancola's class... and the guest instructor is Dawn Murin, the Senior Art Director over at Wizards of the Coast... so it should be an excellent experience. Anyways the first assignment is to pick a domestic event from our everyday life and then put a fantasy or sci-fi spin to it. We are to start with super sketchy thumbnails and then ultimately pick 3 to do rough comps of. For my topic I chose events revolving around my 3 year old daughter and the one comp (I haven't decided on the other 2 yet) involves a battle hardened dwarf trying to bath his unwilling child. I wanted her to appear beast-like and make him look like as if he would rather be out be fighting an undead army with his bare hands.

Name:  thumb2.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  196.2 KB
    Name:  thumbs.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  247.4 KB

Thanks
    Dude! This whole Smartschool thing sounds amazing, and i'm sure you'll find it really useful! I hope that you can share any tips, tricks and feedback they discuss there!

Cant wait to see updates!!!!

Thanks
    Just had my first session with Donato Giancola where the topic was "Composition" and we ultimately discussed the thumbnail process. In one example he used a Mondrian painting and discussed how and image can be broken up into sections where the small details can be grouped together and the larger focal areas require room to breathe. In the example I included in my thumbnail below you'll notice how the dense clustered areas are grouped together and the larger focal area has lots of negative space around it. If those clustered areas where brought closer to the yellow mass then the image would have been unbalanced. He then used this example to walk us through some of the old masters paintings to demonstrate this principal; it's one thing to know this then it's another when it really explained in depth through multiple examples. It's really not ground breaking knowledge but it's just one of those small foundational things that need to done rightly so the image can be built up on it. He then walked out though Gregory Manchess thumbnail process and his own and the amount of iteration was eye-opening. My advice to anyone reading this is if you haven't done least 10-20 composition/lighting thumbnails then you are shooting yourself in the foot by closing yourself off to so many possibilities that you might not normally consider.

Anyways for a while now, this one painting has been haunting me because I didn't know how to finish it because there were so many issues with it. There was a lot I liked about it, but structurally I believe it's wrong and overly complicated. So using what I think I learned I've resisted the thumbnail process and did some more iterations ultimately landing on a close-cropped version using a Mondrian painting as inspiration for the underlaying structure. I believe by cropping off his head the painting becomes more about the action going on then it does the characters... further to that point I am going to explore what it looks like if she is hooded so her face doesn't become a distraction - although I think it might be fun if she is casting a 'fuck you' look at him. I also chose to simplify the perspective so the angles aren't so awkward. Finally, rather then having shit going on all over the background, I'll limit it to just the one area to the left now creating lots of breathing room around the main characters. I hope this is the re-boot needed to get this image done.

Name:  old.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  143.9 KB

Name:  thumbs-1.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  thumbs-1.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  127.6 KB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh bloody hell.... attached the wrong image which i am unable to edit...

Name:  thumbs2.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  249.0 KB

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Its cool that posted more rougher even if it was accident try to go to edit, advanced, manage attachments, then you have to press X on posted images, you have to hover mouse over it in order to see it

Thanks
    stonec, hmmmm... that seems like too much work and I am far too lazy

more on the recent drawing -- blocking shit in and "trying" to keep my shapes simple.
    Name:  drawing.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  163.2 KB

some more stuff I can show from last year.
    Name:  PZO90129_Martella-Lotheed_FINAL.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  179.3 KB
    Name:  PZO90129_Savannah-Battle_FINAL.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  198.2 KB

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

rau

Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 929 Posts
    Wow awesome stuff man! I really like the illustration in post #1626. Great composition, lighting and color. I look forward for more

Thanks
    Working more on the sketch after some feedback from Donato where he encouraged me to explore values more in this rough phase. Fuck, I can honestly see the value of putting a shit ton more effort then I ever have into these early drawing phases. I still have more work to do pushing and pulling edges but this is already way more readable then my previous efforts. It also feels way more professional then anything I have ever done before, maybe because I have a sense of control over the image whereas normally I'd be recklessly scratching about hoping for happy accidents to get me through. Also he loved the idea of cropping the dudes head, but not hers; his explanation was that although she is not the primary visual, she is the essentially the main character and having a fuller silhouette will aide in her readability. One big thing I've become more aware of is how much more I need to pay attention to the light vs dark and dark vs light edges within an overall shape/object to subtlely push and pull small details more effectively without having to rely on a light source. For example in reality, the monkey shadow and the money bags around his waist probably shouldn't be that dark.... but creating an effective image isn't about reality (I've been told), it's about selectively breaking and bending rules so that they work within the context of the image... that was one of his main talking points in the first class. And now that those areas are as dark/saturated as they are they pop a little more whilst still fitting within the silhouette of the main figure... admittedly I still have to refine those areas, but the idea is there. I also hope this will ultimately help me from having to over render shit all the time in an effort to make them readable.

Enough of my rant... maybe it helps someone.... or at least confuses the hell out of you

Name:  rough.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  170.8 KB

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Wow incredible work. I've save on my dekstop most of your picture as inspiring and motivational pictures.
    How does it feel to work for paizo ?

Thanks
    That is a gorgeous sketch. Not just the composition and the lighting, but even the style it's done in is really nice. I agree about cropping the guy's head off. It seems counter-intuitive given how relevant he is, but looking at it now it seems to put more of the focus on the girl while still conveying the idea that the guy is distracted. There's something really elegant and concise about how it's composed; no bullshit, just the relevant detail to tell the story. Looking forward to the final image!

Thanks
    I've worked some more on this piece, and even tried to glaze in some colour. I like where it is heading, despite feeling a little lost at the moment. And I think for the purposes of making the image more concise, I might revise the background.... I just feel the left and right sides are disjointed like they are 2 different backgrounds... I am thinking less might be more in this case... despite how much I wanted to create a background with atmosphere and story... it just may not serve the main narrative here.

Name:  hpindur_midweek_01.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  278.0 KB
    Name:  hpindur_midweek_02.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  276.8 KB

rau - thanks a lot. I feel the same way about it. I just hope I don't screw it up! But to your point about just relevant detail, I might simplify the background just to make the image more concise.

Guillamedelor - thanks for stopping in! My last couple jobs (can't show them yet) have been pretty cool... I've kind of worked my way up to work on some book covers now so the pay is better and I get more time to work on a single image as opposed to working on several images in the same time window. Hope that makes sense - my brain is fried

TheBigItch - Thanks, I feel like it could turn out to be my most solid piece to date.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Pindurski.

This is awesome. It's really great to see how you are spinning the monkey painting in so many ways. I love those lighting thumbnails, your draftsmanship and style are great even when working on thumbnails.

All right here's some feedback:

One thing I liked about your previous idea was how I was more distracted by the monkey-bald guy part of the painting and the thief felt more in the background. I even smiled at how the monkey was messing with him, then I looked at the thief and pieced together the story, the painting was tricking my attention just like the monkey is tricking the bald guy. The lighting and the color gave me a feeling of the space being busy in a normal day, I didn't get a "something bad is about to happen" mood, which is great, because I had my guard down and finding about the thief was more unexpected and enjoyable.

In the new painting, I see the thief right away, the monkey-bald guy part doesn't feel as prominent, I don't empathize as much with the bald guy because I can't see his face. I don't get a busy environment feeling anymore, the colors and lighting make me feel something bad is going to happen it has a darker side to it which makes me look for unexpected stuff right away. The brothel idea (it felt like it's a brothel) make's me dislike the guy and gives a more honorable reason for the girl, but he'd be a lot more alert, specially having in mind that it feels he just run across the thief based on her pose.

I have to say however, I love every single one of your paintings around this concept including the last one. Can't wait to see how this painting comes together, you are awesome.. Man would I buy gumroad tutorials or a book from you.
    Last edited by alvaromartinlop; March 5th, 2018 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    About an hour ago I had a phone call with Donato (he let's us call him to talk about our work as part of a mid-week check-in... how fucking cool is that?!)
    Anyways, he asked my why I had abandoned some of my previous versions of this painting, and my response was, "I felt like I lost control of the painting and didn't know how to salvage it. Perhaps I was working on it for too long and became blind to it." He liked my previous versions as well, and with some feedback I might be able to go back and finish them... but now I am currently engaged in this current image and I have to see it through to completion so I can move on to other working piling up in my brain. But regardless, that is really nice feedback, thanks Oh God... I don't even know what I would do for a gumroad.... I truly feel like a hack 99% of the time that throws shit on the canvas and prays for a miracle

Quote Originally Posted by alvaromartinlop View Post
    Hey Pindurski.

This is awesome. It's really great to see how you are spinning the monkey painting in so many ways. I love those lighting thumbnails, your draftsmanship and style are great even when working on thumbnails.

All right here's some feedback:

One thing I liked about your previous idea was how I was more distracted by the monkey-bald guy part of the painting and the thief felt more in the background. I even smiled at how the monkey was messing with him, then I looked at the thief and pieced together the story, the painting was tricking my attention just like the monkey is tricking the bald guy. The lighting and the color gave me a feeling of the space being busy in a normal day, I didn't get a "something bad is about to happen" mood, which is great, because I had my guard down and finding about the thief was more unexpected and enjoyable.

In the new painting, I see the thief right away, the monkey-bald guy part doesn't feel as prominent, I don't empathize as much with the bald guy because I can't see his face. I don't get a busy environment feeling anymore, the colors and lighting make me feel something bad is going to happen it has a darker side to it which makes me look for unexpected stuff right away. The brothel idea (it felt like it's a brothel) make's me dislike the guy and gives a more honorable reason for the girl, but he'd be a lot more alert, specially having in mind that it feels he just run across the thief based on her pose.

I have to say however, I love every single one of your paintings around this concept including the last one. Can't wait to see how this painting comes together, you are awesome.. Man would I buy gumroad tutorials or a book from you.

Thanks
    Starting on the final drawing now working out final details and resolving areas that I know would give me seizures if I started painting on top of my last drawing. Going to have to get proper ref shots of hands (my hands!) since they play a major role in this image... I can't fake that shit anymore.

Name:  wip.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  57.4 KB

It's become clear as day that at no point in ANY of my previous illustrations (except for the most recent Pathfinder cover I just completed where I drew the hell out of nearly everything and it was the easiest painting from start to finish I've yet made) that I have not done nearly enough work up front before painting to resolve issues and make proper planning. I fault the mindset of jumping into work too early by watching speed painting videos when I first started this art journey. In the end those really aren't finished illustrations... they are concept pieces... the furthest thing away from what my personal goals are. So for several years rather relying on a solid drawings I was relying on some ill perceived luck of the brush to get me through. Now, I am of the mindset my paintings are only going to be as good as the foundational drawing and research I put into it. I recently acquired Paul Bonner's book Out of the forest where every painting has its related sketches and underdrawings alongside the final piece. Fuck. What an eye-opener. This, alongside with paying more attention to the preliminary drawing process of Greg Manchess, Micheal C Hayes and Donato Giancola has really made me aware of how ill-prepared I've been in the past. In all honesty, if those guys dump a shit ton of work into the preliminary phases what makes me think that I can get away with not doing it when my skill level and experience is eclipsed by them – I think this should be a wake up call nearly every young artist should have. So now that I know what a lazy piece of shit I've been by saying to myself, "I'll figure that part of the painting out when I get to it," I will at least try my best with my current skill set to prepare the best I can. Art on everyone!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Pindurski, I'm loving the latest sketch! can't wait to see it finished.

What you've said about putting all you can into your preliminary work is really solid advice. The more work you put into figuring things out in the design stage the less issues you will have when your 20 hours in and you've realized that the hand you drew is way too big haha. I think putting all that work into the sketch stage will help your work look that much more realistic and grounded, and should take you work to a whole new level.

Keep up the good work.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter.JT For This Useful Post:

Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast