Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Yeah, I partly got the idea from Gurney (I love his idea to collect rocks for texture), but before that I learned Richard Corben does the same thing. No wonder his work always looks so 3 dimensional (and in fact resembles claymation)! I always suspected Corben was a sculptor and claymation fan, then one day I ran across pictures of him holding up animal skulls with one hand while drawing with the other, with a desk lamp positioned carefully for dramatic lighting. He has a collection of animal skulls and also sculpts heads of his characters. I'm sure for his dinosaur stories he sculpted clay dinos he could pose however he wanted, just like Gurney.

And being a stopmotion animator/puppet maker myself, I happen to have the materials and skills to whip up these little maquettes. Heh, in fact I'm sorely tempted to do a little animation of this bad boy - but only after he's served his main purpose of course - animation can be very destructive, especially if something is made quick and dirty like this is.

Here's the pics I like best - I like elements of both so I'll combine them. My charcoal sketch didn't come out so good, this is a difficult shape! No wonder most of the paintings I see of these guys look bizarre and can be hard to make out!

Name:  DoubleBird.png
Views: 1146
Size:  236.3 KB
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That's really cool!! I like the creature a lot! It's cool that your art skills are extended into other fields that will aid your drawing progress... I mostly play with my kneaded eraser to create stupid shapes - currently my wood mannekin has got a cyclops face with a googley eye in it and is standing under my desk lamp, so I can use it as a reference for lighting if I want to =]
    looking forward to see what you're gonna do with that flying dude! =]

Hello! I really want to be a good artist... Being a girl who can draw some mediocre things just won't do anymore.
    Can you help me? I want MOARRRR!!

-* Fer

Thanks
    Here's my charcoal sketch of it:

Name:  Boidsketch.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  130.7 KB

Really rough - man, it was haaard drawing this from life!! I gotta start doing more life drawing.

Oh hi zerosete - didn't see your post there before I made mine. Heh - I do the eraser thing too..

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Charcoal sketch imported, colorized, and slapped in place to serve as a basis for painting.

Name:  BigBoidRed.png
Views: 1098
Size:  158.1 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks

Repositioning the little guy

Name:  Littleguy.png
Views: 1194
Size:  786.8 KB

Name:  LittleguyColor.png
Views: 1133
Size:  507.7 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Name:  faceoff.png
Views: 1085
Size:  194.9 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Maybe rotate him so he's a little more vertical; to me he looks like he just tripped on a rock and is falling over face-first D:

Thanks
    Tripping on a rock, seriously? I think it looks like he's spinning around, probably alerted by a shout from his friend, and in a moment of shocked realization that a horse-sized creature is hurtling directly at him he's either bracing for the impact or maybe even beginning to leap to meet it. I don't think in this moment he'd be quite sure himself which, but I think the other alternative, shrinking away, would change the tone from heroic fantasy to something like cowardly fantasy. And somehow standing flat-footed just doesn't suit the mood of the moment. He needs to be well off balance, like a sumo wrestler about to collide with an opponent. I tried standing him more upright and it looked silly, like he's doing ballet or something. Do you think I need to scrap the pose again and try for something else?

Name:  Leaning.png
Views: 1089
Size:  384.8 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    He does kind of look like he's falling, but with some minor adjustments he kind of looks like a jumping killing machine (excuse the quality… I did this at work in between projects

Attachment 1897185

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pindurski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well that would be a different scenario - in mine as I said he's only just spinning around and seeing it for the first time - in your revision he's already fully aware of it, apparently he's been facing that way, and has decided to leap to meet it. Mine is the moment of ambiguity before he makes that choice. I'll consider making it more apparent that he's spinning around, maybe that isn't clear.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Get out a mirror. Stand in front of it. Pretend you just heard something behind you and turn around to see what it is. You will probably have both feet flat on the ground, legs apart to brace yourself for an impact, arms out ready to protect yourself, etc.

Your current pose looks like he definitely is already aware of it and trying to jump at it but going to miss. He is obviously in motion off a very small ledge, but how is he going to catch himself beyond grabbing hold of the monster? Pindurski's alteration gives him intent; he is going to grab onto the monster to stop his fall, and he's going to stab it to death while he's at it.

If you do decide to go for more of a jumping pose, the legs could be better positioned. I think that's where you're getting the ballet vibe. Maybe look at longjumpers for inspiration:

Name:  art-longjump-620x349.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  67.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanks - I'll take your suggestions under consideration.

Wow!!! Where did the ugly pastel stripes come from all of a sudden??!!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Name:  Doublewide01.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  43.6 KB

I spawned off a clone version of the painting so I could just play with it - no sense of pressure or permanence. Completely redid most of the background, just having fun with it, and was really digging it until the first giant egg joke occurred to me --- aaahhahahahahaha!! Too funny! Ok, even though I kinda like the look of the dome, it's gotta go now - think I'll replace it with a ruined building (bigger than the old buildings, which looked like miniatures). Also need to re-do the pose of the flying reptile, and still considering re-doing the little guy's pose to something that reads a bit better.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; January 26th, 2014 at 02:30 AM.

Sketchbook

Thanks

Gestures (inspired by Stanchfield)

Sketchbook

Thanks

Karate Hottie

Fun little sketch from today

Name:  Waterson-01-27.gif
Views: 1133
Size:  319.9 KB

Sketchbook

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast