Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    Thanks
    Darkstrider's digital demesne

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Darkstrider; January 20th, 2015 at 06:59 AM.
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ooooo! The new thumbnail for your sketchbook looks sweeet. When I get around to anatomy study, this sketchbook will definitely be my go-to place for motivation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you! I'm a little flabbergasted because the new thumbnail is slightly squashed in on the sides - I didn't think that would happen since it's a square - but it did.

Anyway, this is all I got for today:

Darkstrider's digital demesneDarkstrider's digital demesne

.. and yes, eye know..
    Last edited by Darkstrider; January 23rd, 2015 at 07:48 AM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hi! Keep up the good work you're doing! It's hard to see the underlying construction on some drawings, maybe you should focus on it more.

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! Yeah, a lot of my drawings don't have any construction - some are pure gesture and some observational or just wild and loose, but I have been starting to work just a little construction in with the gesture ala Vilppu and Steve Huston, and I intend to keep doing more of that.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; January 27th, 2015 at 08:12 AM.

Sketchbook

Thanks

Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hi There Darkstrider! If you know how to clean it up it doesn't really matter how squiggly the lines get while observing, but one thing that keeps you from doing so would be just drawing in 100% black line.. So you force yourself to minimize them.The poses on paper in the reddish taint just would've looked a bit better without the searching lines in it. #569 the heads.. love it
    Last edited by TheBigItch; January 30th, 2015 at 08:50 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey thanks Gibier!! Yeah, I was getting frustrated with the red (supposed to be brown) ink and with fountain pens in general. I'm sticking with black now for gestures and most figure drawings (unless it's pencil or charcoal) and in fact just over the last 2 days I've decided to use a thick marker/brush pen. I came to realize part of the reason I scribble and add so many lines is out of frustration with thin scratchy lines. So using a bolder tip helps me to work more minimally. I'm still scribbling a little, I think it's because I just started doing timed gestures again and I'm freaked out about the limit. I remember I got used to it before, so it'll happen again, and then I hope to be able to do nice bold single lines!!

Meanwhile, here's this:

Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne Darkstrider's digital demesne

(yeah, that's a Kchen copy at the end there)

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey man! get your ass back here and draw man! Those gestures can be a pest - hard to know when you are doing them right. Most of the time i just do 20mins of them to loosen up and dont really care about the results - I think its just important to not worry about the end result - just get the flow and some vague landmarks in, some evidence of some foreshortening where needed, then you have that foundation to add anatomy. It will come man, keep going!

In your recent gestures - i think you might be worrying about the contours too much - get that head, chest and pelvic area in and make sure you know where the spine is. Your proportions are good too. I guess its muddy what a gesture draiwng should look like, but i think Hamptons method is the best for constuctive anatomy that ive seen.

Keep fighting the good fight!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey thanks for caring enough to drag my ass back in here Kimonas!! I'll be getting back into it soon. As for my recent quick figure sketches - I wouldn't really call any of them gestures. It's just me messing around drawing fast and seeing what happens naturally, trying out some different things.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; March 4th, 2015 at 06:09 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 893 Posts
    Nice progress Darkstrider. Your structure and shading continue to improve. The gestures are looking great too. Everyone has their own method for doing these, just make sure you capture the motivation for the action. What purpose is driving the figure to position it's body in that particular way? Keep it up.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Swen, much appreciated! Hmm - generally it's just models randomly posing, but maybe I could still think about a purpose.

Meanwhile I see my last post here was swallowed by the Nothing - here it is again:

Name:  02-15-15-13.gif
Views: 1075
Size:  184.8 KBName:  02-15-15-2.gif
Views: 1068
Size:  148.6 KBName:  02-15-15-3.gif
Views: 1081
Size:  152.2 KBName:  02-15-15-11.gif
Views: 1081
Size:  140.8 KBName:  02-15-15-8.gif
Views: 1072
Size:  175.1 KBName:  02-15-15-9.gif
Views: 1067
Size:  126.7 KBName:  02-15-15-5.gif
Views: 1093
Size:  194.6 KBName:  02-15-15-15.gif
Views: 1084
Size:  49.0 KBName:  02-15-15.gif
Views: 1083
Size:  150.5 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 893 Posts
    With purpose I mean the motivation behind the pose: stretching, jumping, crouching or whatever. Think of verbs. I hope this is clearer .

Thanks
    Ah yes, now I get it. Actually I have been doing that - stretching toward it anyway (see what I did there?) Often it seems to result in deformed lopsided figures, but then I've been getting a lot of those since I started doing them smaller and in felt tip. It's time to begin a new approach.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    DARKSTRIIIIIIIIDER! Where have you gone? I haven't posted here for a while and I return to find you missing...what's up?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wot up peeps! Long time no see. I thought I'd drop a few things I've done since I posted last. The main thing I've changed in my approach is to get rid of those nasty artificial "brushstrokes" I was so addicted to - and it makes a huge difference! Anyway, enough blather:
    Name:  07-06-17-quicksketch-1.gif
Views: 1043
Size:  266.2 KBName:  Meisha5.5.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  68.6 KBName:  faf-study4.6.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  96.3 KBName:  faf-study2.1.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  107.5 KBName:  Gestures-05-26-16.gif
Size:  168.3 KBName:  Gestures-06-02-16.gif
Views: 1043
Size:  226.2 KBName:  Milady-6.1LG.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  110.8 KBName:  wanderleiLG008.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  19.4 KBName:  Romanose2.9.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  93.6 KBName:  OldRedditBodybuilder.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  62.3 KBName:  P1010431-2.gif
Size:  240.3 KBName:  RegLats03.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  76.0 KB

One weird thing I noticed only after doing all these - all the eyes are either closed, downcast or shadowed. Paging Dr. Freud...
    Last edited by Darkstrider; September 6th, 2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Adding insightful comment... ?

Sketchbook

Thanks
    IS DOCTOR FREUD IN THE HOUSE?!?!

Welcome back Darkstrider! Love the way you portray the female form. You are onto something there, it's strong stuff. I've cut down on the brushstroke stuff as well. At the moment I try to stick to 1 or 2 brushes for a whole piece. Makes me focus more on the fundamentals, which I think it more important for me at this point.

Hope to see more from you, but I understand dry spells, so no pressure. I took a long break, had a false start, and then took another long break. Now I'm back. Hope you get back in sometime too.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Grumpy!! Yeah, on most of these I concentrated entirely on softness, using nothing but soft round brushes. I can see my art would benefit a lot from getting some hard edges in there, but I seem to want to work in stages, and this has been a softness stage. Learned a heck of a lot from it, and my paintings look way more solid and rounded now. It's time to start bringing in the hard edges for contrast though. And I'm hoping that posting in here again will help break the dry spell. Seeing these pictures all jumbled together like this it's clear my drawings look way better than the paintings because they have more clarity. Though I was starting to use outlines in some of the paintings and that's helping - definitely need to continue that trend. I can also see, now that you mention my female figures specifically, that I think more in terms of figure drawing with them, and when I do males I tend to get caught up just in the musculature and lose sight of gesture and the basic figure. I need to do some less muscular males, don't I? Of course they were all just muscle studies - or in the case of the 2 stages in the Fafhrd painting a character study - whereas the females were done specifically as figure studies. But I'm devolving into blather again, aren't I? Ok, soon I'm going to pop in again with some new art!

Sketchbook

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As far as the males vs females go, I think you are ok. I've seen you do more gestural males, and they looked good too. Nothing wrong with taking some time to just focus on muscles and not gesture. You'll be able to pull the two things together. Your warrior character for example (can't remember his name), you've got a nice subtle gesture with him, especially the one on the right side, where his pose is ever so slightly more relaxed.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoa! santa is ripped! Also I approve of bringing more hard edges in there. The cast shadow under the muscles guys chin is begging to be harder in edge.

The gestural pose of that woman bending back looks great. It reminds me of something you'd see in Force.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to shoebill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebill View Post
    Whoa! santa is ripped!
    Lol!! Well it's the off season - he has to get his gut back by Christmas.

And yeah, I studied from the Force books for a while. Agreed on the neck shadow - in fact I just sort of failed to define his neck at all! Was mostly concerned with the muscles and sort of let the head slide.

Sketchbook

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there Darkstrider, good to see you back! Hope your dry spell doesn't last too long, we've missed you (not that I've been much better about posting, lol)
    Your figures look good, I love that female gesture from 4-27-16

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dahlia, I appreciate the welcome! And I knew even before checking which gesture you meant - that's the best I've done yet.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; September 9th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Well it doesn't mean the end of the dry spell necessarily, but here's the first drop of rain spattering into the dust..

Name:  09-10-17-figure-1.1.gif
Views: 828
Size:  322.0 KB

The legs are definitely too big, and I should have thought more about the pose - maybe even thumbnailed a little. Hmm..
    I think the head's too big too, even though I shrank it down once already.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; September 10th, 2017 at 08:12 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Lovely to see you back dude! That figure drawing 4/27/16 is amazingly well done! Def seems like you haven't been idle since you left, your work has improved a lot! I look forwards to seeing more

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Kimonas! Well at least I'm drawing again, though it's all at various levels of suckage. Mostly it's been materials tests, trying different kinds of pencils on different kinds of printer papers to determine my new combo - I won't impose any of that on you. These suck as well, but they're the best I've done recently.

Envisioning the torso as a salad dressing bottle form:

Name:  09-13-17-Figure-1-small.gif
Views: 535
Size:  367.8 KBName:  Bottlefixed.gif
Views: 534
Size:  74.0 KB

The second bottle is a fix - I noticed my core shadow on the original was terrible, and that I need to learn more about how core shadows behave on forms more complex than the basic geometric solids.

EDIT - I want to add that the main reason for all the suckage is I'm trying out a sort of funky chunky drawing style. Making lines thick and chunky in places, and sometimes it really screws things up. It's fun though and if I get good at it it won't suck everything up so much.

Name:  09-28-17-16.gif
Views: 535
Size:  404.3 KB

This one could use some serious fixing too but it's not worth it - I'd rather just redraw it. After sharpening the damn pencil of course. An exercise in connecting up forms, and it failed pretty badly. Worst part is the cast shadow underneath.

Some warmup doodles:

Name:  09-28-17-17.gif
Views: 536
Size:  306.8 KB

And the one where I realized I really need to study the torso a lot:

Name:  09-28-17-15.gif
Views: 534
Size:  233.1 KB

As well as arms and head and everything else, but this was all about the torso - everything else was just an afterthought.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; September 29th, 2017 at 11:14 AM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Guess this one's worth posting too. Working on connecting up basic forms to build more complex ones. Also materials testing and some ideas about drawing thrown in as a bonus.

Name:  09-29-17-1.gif
Views: 526
Size:  293.2 KB

Results of my materials testing - I decided on either the conte pencil or a regular drawing pencil on my normal inkjet copier paper depending on the situation. For human figures and similar complex things I tend to use a drawing pencil because it glides so well over the paper I can literally think with it, whereas the conte isn't quite as responsive unless it's on smooth newsprint. But I will use the conte on printer paper for simple forms like these if I want some nice dark shadow work. One of the main problems I was trying to solve is glare - graphite will shine like crazy under most lighting situations when you take a picture (and my copier is broken unfortunately, so it's all photographs lately), but conte won't glare no matter how heavy you put it on. I really can't stand drawing with the Kimberly 9xxB or the Primo Elite Grande, both of which are super dark and rich, but they're made with some kind of new plastic resin technology and they feel weird and plasticy.
    Last edited by Darkstrider; September 29th, 2017 at 12:39 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Been almost 3 years since I last checked out your sketchbook and was said to see you hadn't updated in a while but now it seems like you're back at it! Studies are looking great and seems like you're experimenting with different ways of drawing and different mediums which is always fun to see. I read a little bit too much about things "sucking" but it seems like you know that it only takes a bit more time to get things to look great. I think you're already well on your way, hope to see more updates soon!
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21