Sketchbook: Mako-chan's sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Mako-chan's sketchbook

Hi everyone, I'm Mako-chan. This will be my sketch book. Be gentle though because I am still a (unmotivated x_x) beginner. I don't update daily, well, because of my mood. Sucks a lot, but I totally wish I don't need motivation to do art, like, just go and paint. D: A lot of areas I need to work on.

Anyway, constructive criticisms, tips and guides are loved!

Last edited by mak0_chan; May 31st, 2014 at 06:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome! Wooh! Lets see some art.

My Sketchbook

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo

Thanks
    I got a few sketchpads but I think this is more ughhh fine? Anyway, I started with Loomis' Fun with a Pencil and a few scribbles

Name:  IMG_1508.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  493.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1509.JPG
Views: 413
Size:  486.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1510.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  464.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1513.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  458.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1514.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  509.6 KB

Last edited by mak0_chan; October 24th, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    @OakLeaf - Thank you for the welcome!

This was drawn the time I drew the Loomis (^ above post). Dated around July this year. Head study from my imagination and a bit from what I learned. Couldn't really grasp Loomis' method though I keep on reading and trying to understand

Name:  IMG_1528.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  502.0 KB

Thanks
    ^Ahh the images were flipped. They arent like that originally D:

Anyway, drawn this the time I drew the Loomis (^ above post). It's a kind of head study from memory or from understanding. Couldn't grasp Loomis' method though I keep on trying to undesrtand.

Name:  IMG_1528.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  502.0 KB

Thanks
    OakLeaf - thank youuu for the welcome!!

Thanks
    A few more scribbles of head and its parts, mostly eye and nose

Name:  IMG_1511.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  462.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1531.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  457.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1530.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  480.9 KB

Thanks
    Another set of scribbles! I guess I won't be moving on to the other parts unless I've understand the head structure. I think there are a lot of factors that'll be affecting this esp. on where the shadows/ light hits X_X

Name:  IMG_1533.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  453.1 KBName:  IMG_1532.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  457.8 KBName:  IMG_1512.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  433.7 KBName:  IMG_1534.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  483.8 KB

Thanks
    These drawings are from tutorials. Top two from Dragoart and the last from idrawgirls. I think I ruined Batman's image. He looks so gay here! Sorry!

Name:  IMG_1535.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  492.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1536.JPG
Size:  441.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1515.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  499.4 KB

Thanks
    Back to the thing I'm trying to understand lol

Name:  IMG_1516.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  595.7 KB

Thanks
    Started using a pen since it is sharper for me. Hehe. Anyway, I always have fun whenever I draw eyes! I also wanted to achieve a human body but I think mine turned anime-ish like. You can see there are curvy and straight lines. Idk i just feel like drawing them. lol
    These are of course, from imagination and what I learnt!

Name:  IMG_1517.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  645.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1538.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  565.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1537.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  624.3 KB

Thanks
    This time, I started using real life objects as references. I live in a commercial place, especially being surrounded by hardwares. Objects spotted in my drawing, just in case you can't distinguish (since i pretty much draw them anywhere. dont really care about overlapping or something hehe). There are also a few scribbles!
    Name:  IMG_1519.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  502.2 KB
    ^ stapler
    Name:  IMG_1503.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  541.5 KB
    ^ clip lamp, earphones hanging, keyboard button, and a cellphone (didnt use perspective on this one so it fails)
    Name:  IMG_1501.JPG
Size:  599.6 KB
    ^motorcycle, an umbrella (this is placed on the side of pedicab) a pedicab on 3/4 back view, and a streetpost with an ad on side view, and a frontal part of a motorcycle

Thanks
    I am back again on "From imagination" though there are a few unfinished still life sketches.

Name:  IMG_1506.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  537.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1505.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  505.7 KB

Thanks
    This is my mom! I drew this at night. Though my drawing says it's not really her. Haha~Name:  IMG_1543.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  468.9 KBName:  IMG_1510.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  508.2 KB

Thanks
    Back again to scribbles. There are few blank faces cuz I feel so disappointed lol *sighs* Wanting to draw human faces - the fashion designer way! Or those who dont shades in order to look human. Yep. There are also a quick figure study, from a photo ref.

Name:  IMG_1524.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  544.9 KBName:  IMG_1525.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  549.4 KBName:  IMG_1527.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  491.7 KB

Thanks
    Another set of scribbles! There are quick eye studies, lines, curves, and a face that I completely drawn (w/ a photo ref)

Name:  IMG_1545.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  527.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1513.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  541.5 KB

Thanks
    I did a value study (7 tones). This is by the way my very very very first digital paint (portrait). It totally doesn't look like the original (lol) but I'm satisfied nevertheless! Please don't mind the hair and the cloth. I had trouble with these two especially the texture. And the eyes, ah it's so flat ; u; /4.5 hrs painting/

Name:  h.png
Views: 224
Size:  286.3 KB
    Name:  x.png
Views: 230
Size:  1.17 MB
    Name:  22.png
Views: 215
Size:  244.8 KB

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint, then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    if you still have trouble understanding the loomis method I think I know something that may help you. Basically, the method (and pretty much any other approach to drawing a head that i've seen) relies a lot on understanding proper perspective.

http://crashdummynl.deviantart.com/a...-V1-1-80130317

pose this in various angles and draw it, watch how it gets affected as it moves from place to place. i still dont understand perspective THAT well but after doing that I got the hang of it a little better. obviously you should supplement this with books like Norling's (i forget what his book is called), there's also a thread on CA somewhere about the subject which i'll link to when i find it. you will find that when you understand perspective better a cube/planes in space positioned correctly solves a lot of problems.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271739 - my sketchbook, feel free to drop by

Thanks
    A quick silhouette study lmao w/c took umm around 15-30 mins

Name:  d.png
Views: 216
Size:  146.1 KB
    Name:  ss.png
Views: 252
Size:  477.0 KB
    Name:  xx.png
Views: 219
Size:  141.6 KB

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint, then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Escavalier View Post
    if you still have trouble understanding the loomis method I think I know something that may help you. Basically, the method (and pretty much any other approach to drawing a head that i've seen) relies a lot on understanding proper perspective.

http://crashdummynl.deviantart.com/a...-V1-1-80130317

pose this in various angles and draw it, watch how it gets affected as it moves from place to place. i still dont understand perspective THAT well but after doing that I got the hang of it a little better. obviously you should supplement this with books like Norling's (i forget what his book is called), there's also a thread on CA somewhere about the subject which i'll link to when i find it. you will find that when you understand perspective better a cube/planes in space positioned correctly solves a lot of problems.
    I had a perspective class before but the prof doesn't really discuss it and we're more into basics. I don't really know if you mean perspective like do I have to get materials (such as T-square and stuffs) or freehand? Anyway I am also trying to find a geometric structure of the skull. I think I understand better that way? Anyway Thank you for the tip!

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    Another digital painting I'm currently working. I'm focusing on the hair rn. I plan this to be detailed, but probably not exactly looking esp the face >_<

Name:  dddd.png
Views: 222
Size:  436.9 KB

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xnnmx View Post
    I had a perspective class before but the prof doesn't really discuss it and we're more into basics. I don't really know if you mean perspective like do I have to get materials (such as T-square and stuffs) or freehand? Anyway I am also trying to find a geometric structure of the skull. I think I understand better that way? Anyway Thank you for the tip!
    I mean freehand, you don't really need t-squares in most cases as drawing a relatively straight line should be something an artist is capable of doing. Perspective mostly means things appear smaller or change appearance depending on the angle you look at them from. We've more or less had that broken down into simple rules for centuries, in the renaissance people like leonardo or michelangelo were already very aware of it.

If you want another example of how perspective works that might be easier to understand try picking up a piece of paper with a drawing on it and then rotate it in front of you. Notice how the paper begins to converge to one point and how the drawings are affected by the angle you're viewing them from. that's perspective.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=271739 - my sketchbook, feel free to drop by

Thanks
    Name:  s102613.png
Views: 211
Size:  232.8 KB

Another study I made. Photo ref, a sculpture. Something's wrong with the angle thus affecting almost everything >.> I'm looking up now to the still life photos. Ahh I wanna try painting characters too! Soon soon soon

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Escavalier View Post
    I mean freehand, you don't really need t-squares in most cases as drawing a relatively straight line should be something an artist is capable of doing. Perspective mostly means things appear smaller or change appearance depending on the angle you look at them from. We've more or less had that broken down into simple rules for centuries, in the renaissance people like leonardo or michelangelo were already very aware of it.

If you want another example of how perspective works that might be easier to understand try picking up a piece of paper with a drawing on it and then rotate it in front of you. Notice how the paper begins to converge to one point and how the drawings are affected by the angle you're viewing them from. that's perspective.
    Thank youu~~ I'm bad with foreshortening (the root = bad at perspective too) so I think practicing diff angles would totally help

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    Name:  e.png
Views: 600
Size:  781.5 KB

figure & face practice. Need to look for more references esp in foreshortening, human body and bird's eye and worm eye's view

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    So i tried making a monster. Apparently, it didn't looked scary as what I thought lolz. This is from my imagination (momentum??) Just..uhh, randomly scribbling. Name:  ee3.png
Views: 197
Size:  282.1 KB

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    I did a scribbles of different characters' faces. Hoping to do some finished characters once I grasped enough of the foundation/ anatomy
    Name:  ef1.png
Views: 201
Size:  455.7 KB

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    Name:  f.png
Views: 278
Size:  243.0 KB

A dragon's head (skeleton/ skull) study. It's getting interested!! Going to find more references for study and visual library!! I also need to be consistent with the brush strokes and work more on blending

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks

perspective & light/ shadow quick and basic study

Name:  Bpx3d.png
Views: 188
Size:  281.2 KB
    Name:  23.png
Views: 175
Size:  253.6 KB

Done this to study the perspective and light/shadow. It is quick and super basic, but I needed this for a better understanding.

Last edited by mak0_chan; November 2nd, 2013 at 02:33 AM.

sketchpad x artblog

Thanks
    This is a quick study, however when I did this, I am slowly beginning to understand the structure of the nose & eyes, and the placement of shadows/ light. Thanks to my reference, who's sitting beside me; so you could say it's model-reference. The values are also based on the model. I'll keep on doing this unfinished profile/ faces paintings or study until it is human looking (lol)

Name:  ef.png
Views: 186
Size:  1.02 MB

sketchpad x artblog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8