CHoW#338 :: Oni

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#338 :: Oni

Thanks

CHoW#338 :: Oni

Name:  ChowBanner2013rev02.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  354.1 KB

Character of the Week #338
    Oni

Deadline - Sunday, November 3rd 10PM GMT

For our final Halloween/Horror themed CHoW we are going to explore Japanese folklore, more specifically Oni, variously translated as demon, devil, ogre or troll. Depictions of Oni vary widely but they are usually portrayed as a hideous, gigantic ogre-like beings with sharp claws, wild hair, and two long horns growing from their heads.

They are humanoid for the most part, but occasionally, they are shown with unnatural features such as odd numbers of eyes or extra fingers and toes. Their skin may be any number of colors, but red and blue are particularly dominant. They are often depicted wearing tiger-skin loincloths and carrying iron clubs.

For this final Halloween themed CHoW we would like you to design Oni. Happy Halloween!

The Guidelines:
    • Gender is male
    • Genre is Japanese folklore/horror
    • Include the iron club

The Rules
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
    • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible
    • Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
    • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work
    • At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
    • Background is optional
    • Have fun!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Site come back with a big nice challange! Great theme! I'll start soon to work on it!

Thanks
    already did my sketches! ill post something later

Thanks
    Glad the site came back in time for the new projects to start I'll do my best to pull my weight on this one!

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    This one sounds like fun. I will definitely try my hand at this.

Thanks
    Quickie sketches for pose ideas.. thoughts?
    Name:  OniSketches.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  79.8 KB

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    I really have to do some research about japanese stuff, but today I was just sketching for warm-up...
    Name:  oni sketches copy.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  348.4 KB

Thanks
    Grotski: Really like the upper left pose where it's like he's jamming the club into the ground. Bottom right is also an interesting take, though--looks more like an impish prankster than an outright, horrifying threat.

z01ks: Yeah, I feel like this prompt is really going to take a lot of research for me as well. Great sketches--is that some kind of noise brush you're using on the bottom left? They all have more or less the same face/proportions though so I'd say go a little more wild in the next batch of designs, try out some radically different things. Bottom middle pose is a personal favorite so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Edit - version #1 for the dumpster bin. Looks too much like a clown.

Name:  Oni.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  371.3 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PxelSlayer; October 21st, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks
    I wont burden you with my crappy paper sketches. I picked this one out of my thumbnails.
    Name:  oni.png
Views: 1832
Size:  137.6 KB

Thanks
    PxelSlayer - that's nice! You could add some cast shadows from the horns, to make them come in front...

Noun - Thanks! I guess you're right about the faces being similar. That brush is just a charcoal brush I made. It has some default grainy texture set to hard mix. It doesn't let me get too detailed, so I sometimes sketch the initial poses with that. I can share it if you'd like, but it's actually nothing special I think

Thanks
    Guys you all bring here quality stuff. This round will be awesome!
    @Z01ks - bottom middle pose forever. It's like a portrait of the Oni. Bring the figure real like that and you'll win this round.
    @Grotski - upper right, as Noun said. It's so a japanese pose!
    @BansheeSix - THIRD EYE. Hell yeah!

Thanks
    played around with it a bit.
    Name:  oni2.png
Views: 1760
Size:  184.2 KB

Thanks
    yay! My very first CHOW. ^^
    Here's a WIP.

Thanks
    onicorn

Thanks
    @Grotski: I LOVE the fourth sketch, though he might be a bit too impish for an Oni? Second fave is the first sketch you did, shows weight and I love the sumo-like outfit!

@z01ks: Awesome faces! I love the meanie on the top right.

@PxelSlayer: DUDE how can you churn out such awesome designs so quickly? Skill envy. I didn't see clown until I saw what you wrote, but maybe just change the hair- that's the only clownish thing that stands out to me. Besides that, I think he needs more Japanese influence.
    But I love your work. Can't wait to see what you cook up for the finals.

@BansheeSix: OMG we went for almost the same freakin design! Pointed ears, third eye, GAH. Knew I should've checked the entries before I started sketchin. I'll have to see if I can mix my dude up a bit!

@Villes: Love the way you've shaded your forms! Everything I paint is so flat.

@Ded: Lol Onicorn, love it! He's actually kinda cute! Have no idea what the round thing under his arm is; can't wait to see him finished.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Name:  CHOW-338-oni-01.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  101.1 KB

I'm not terribly happy with his arms, I think I goofed on the slight perspective or something (the arm on the left, which should be the closest thing to us, looks further back than the arm on the right). I'm thinking I might have to repaint them. I'm thinking about putting the club in his other hand too (or maybe have two clubs in the picture)?

I went for the third eye thing too, not sure if I'll keep it after seeing Banshee's entry. ;D I'd like to try to get a bit of japanese influence in his armour, but I need to hunt down references. He's wearing one of those japanese warrior masks (well, loosely based on them anyway), though I still need to paint the values in so it's not the same as his skin.

I figured most folk would draw a typical ogre-ish body, so I went with a more "normal" body shape/weight, but instead I'll just make him ginormous. So an average height person would come up to about his knee (I'll have to paint in a person there for size reference I think). I'm giving him a big claw for a middle toe and big clawed hands. Thinking of having human skulls hanging from his neck chain, but depends on how much time I'm left with (fiddly details, agh!)

Critiques/paint overs/anything are welcomed!

Thanks
    Dont worry allysa my oni changed a lot since haha. Ive been redoing faces all night

Thanks
    it's a small drum

Thanks
    Hey all, thanks for the comments my personal favorite was the top right but it seems top left and botom right have won more people over. I think I'll work on the bottom right one, try to make it more menacing

@BansheeSix : I like the raised left foot pose aas it reminds me somewhat of kabuki dancers and martial arts poses, which i feel goes well with the mask-like face

@AlyssaCrow : be careful with the club, the straight lines on the handle's grip (among others) are making it look very flat. Love the face and the idea of the mask here too!

@ded : loving the drum and the mouth (or lack thereof?)The red and blue really make the face pop. Careful with the arm toting the drum, the foreshortening's a little off and makes it look very squat.

@ville 5, looking good! can't wait to see the colours

@pxlslayer : I wouldn't worry much about clownish-ness, looks like you've been taking the kabuki makeup and hair as inspiration. I think its looking good!

@ zo1ks : The poses are a little static but you're doing really well at portraying a dense, tough form. As far as japanese inspiration goes, check out hokusai woodcuts, kabuki theatre masks or clothing, kanabo clubs as well as the more obvious ones like samurai or oni in general.

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    @Grotski: Thanks for the tip! I really do struggle with a bunch of fundamentals, getting things to look like they've got volume is one of those things. I'll work on getting it look more real.
    I might totally rethink the club. Need to find some references, but I might go for something a little more rustic, like he's fabricated a club from a gnarly tree or something.

I worked on the face more (I'm trying to push lighting and shadows, but I always underdo it... how am I doin?), now it's time for me to call it a night. ;D

Name:  CHOW-338-oni-02.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  68.8 KB

Thanks
    Hey AlyssaCrow, though the gnarly tree is a neat idea, the brief does state "include the iron club" so I imagine that the majority of it should be, well, made of iron..

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Hello guys

I'll try to do this one since I never draw men. So, here's a sketch that I don't particularly like. I needs more japanese stuff, I'll be adding it later on if I decide to work on this sketch. Maybe I should start over...

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Color is hard. Good luck all

Thanks
    thinking going something like this
    will prolly turn looking more demonic as i go painting

Name:  oni.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  49.9 KB

Thanks
    Here are my sketch variations for the Oni, C&C welcome!
    Name:  oni_sketch.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  141.4 KB

Thanks
    @BansheeSix: Lol! Well I look forward to seeing what you cook up. Really liked the energy in your previous sketches!

@Ded: Dude your design is my favourite so far. Love the look of the wood armour. Love the colours and all the little details you're introducing.

@Grotski: Doh! Forgot that iron was one of the requirements. THANK YOU for pointing that out before I got stuck into the club.

@TheWhistler: That's a nice clean sketch! I don't think you need to start over, that's a really good devilish design with a good pose. The only thing I would personally change is to maybe tilt his head down a little. With the way his body is lunging forward at that angle, I think having his head that upright would be uncomfortable to hold. My newbie 2 cents! Kudos for taking a crack at guys too. I never really draw guys either, but I find that you can fudge a lot of the anatomy (by "hiding" behind the roughness of their form), though that's probably not what I should be doin.

@Smapel: Agreed! That's why I'm working in greyscale first, so I can focus on colour separate from value. The last time I tried CHoW, I launched straight into colour, and it was a lot more difficult than how I'm finding things this time around.
    I love the way his face is shaped like those Japanese warrior masks, except real!

I spent a bunch of time on this again today (excited to be making progress!), mainly on cleaning things up and trying to push the values a little more. Still fighting against my comfort zone.
    I'm still learning anatomy, and I think his arms are a major fail right now (gonna suck it up and try to find some reference pics), ESPECIALLY that totally flat arm on the right. I like having the arm raised, but more foreshortening/perspective= showing my lack of knowledge. I AM super duper happy with his legs and torso in general (please point out if there's anatomy issues I'm not seeing!) though I do need to find some refs for the muscles on the side and front of the torso so I can get that shadowing right. Need to check how the pecs connect around the armpit area too.
    Trawled through Pinterest to find photos of Japanese armour, hopefully the tied plate thingies is enough to lend it that vibe? Added decorative rope/ties under his chin (holding his mask on) as well as a thick fabric tie about his waist to bring in some more of the Japanese influence. I know leather straps aren't super Japanese-ish, but I'm fresh outta ideas for what to replace them with at the moment. From what I'm seeing on Pinterest, it looks like all armour was tied on with ropes, not straps, but I don't understand HOW. If I can find some better ref pics, I might change the straps.
    Also overhauled the club to a better angle (I think) and to a more angular design so it was something I felt a bit more comfortable with rendering in perspective.

Name:  CHOW-338-oni-03.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  66.7 KB

Sorry about all the yammering, just thinkin' out loud as it were. Treating every illustration as a learning experience.

Thanks

ONI WIP 1

Here is a quick WIP I did in pen. I think near the end, I started to go a little Kirby with the design, but rollwed with it.

Name:  OniCHOW1.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  63.7 KB

Thanks

WIP2

This, I admit, has retained some Kirby influences, and the elk(?) horns retain a bit more of a western barbarian influence, but ... I have to say I'm liking the design here. Maybe more iterations of this will get me what Im looking for...

Name:  OniCHOW2.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  13.2 KB

Thanks
    New wip, the right hand seem a bitt off overall design is there. need to add more details. Thinking a tatoo maybe to fill up the empty space in his body..

Enjoy.

Name:  oni.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  225.2 KB

Last edited by Aissa78; October 23rd, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    @AlyssaCrow Yeah going back to grayscale and hopefully adding colors later. Here's where I'm at atm. The anatomy feels screwed up and the foreshortening as well.. what the hell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5