Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Looking good! That grey ship could use a stronger, darker cast shadow and more occlusion shadows. Also I'd pay attention to light falloff and your forms/planes. If you look at the side wings they all the same rendering all the way around when parts of it should be darker as they turn away from the light.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    cranksaft, thanks for the tips and that is exactly what I've been doing with ellipses .
    I'll have to do a tons of rendering/lighting studies to get better.. but slowly.. slowly.. i hope that my skills will grow up.

Here few hasty sketches and plane study made today. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Great updates! That plane looks nice! Some critique: I'd put a stronger cast shadow/ground plane to help plant the plane in the ground better. You could also use that opportunity to place the cast shadows of the wings thereby giving more visual info about the shape of the wings. Eg Dihedral or anhedral wings.

Thanks
    crankshaft, thanks and thanks for the advice.

Here some new fresh stuff. Studies-sketches and one paint out attempt.

Thanks
    Great stuff! Some critique: Perspective in the red truck seems a bit off. If you look at how wide the engine/hood is compared to the cab/windshield there is quite a width difference. The cab seems a bit too narrow. Also regarding the snowy fields there should be a lot more reflected blue light from the sky and therefore deeper variations of blue tones. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    cranksaft, thanks for the tips! I have now the How to Render- book, but im still reading the first one How to Draw. Highly recommend!

Aerial study today. Cheers.

Thanks
    sunday thumbs!

Thanks
    Last night's paintwork. See ya!

Thanks
    Cool stuff! Regarding post 66 the plane feels static, like it's hovering in the air and not landing in motion. I'd add jet trails behind the plane and blur the rear just a bit to suggest motion. Also putting a blurry background/scenery would help. You could also put blurry details like lights around the plane to break the monotony and again suggest motion.

Thanks
    Thanks cranksaft! I studied that particular plane because it's so fascinating. It is really hovering in the air It is something like next gen Harrier, Locheed Martin f-35.
    Here is little vid about the plane taking of and landing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1YvwY
    Last edited by lekamie; May 2nd, 2015 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    Daily sketches...
    I think i'm going to take that BW doodle boat on the beach and work it further.
    1-point perspective practise, first line work and maybe paint it out.. Let's see... I kinda like it even it's a really poor sketch
    See ya!

Thanks
    Started to figure out the scene. Some character is needed for sure.. mm maybe misty or cloudy atmosphere so no hard lights. Don't know yet.. need to get some ref photos of a beach or harbor. Lets see how it goes. I'm thinking painting over the line work so some lines will be there in the end.
    So next;
    -some reference
    -decide main colors
    -paint big areas
    -figure out lighting
    -paint
    -detail

I hope the story and the character will pop out when I'm doing the paintwork..

Thanks
    Woooowwwww you really know how to construct. How long did it take you to understand how to go about it? I'm struggling pretty bad with it, and had to go back to basic boxes haha =(.
    I would suggest you try to learn how to add more depth to your pieces since you have such a good foundation (lines & construction) to work on, I myself would go in that direction next
    Pressure Points (Daily)
    Sketchbook

Goals:
    Improve Myself
    Improve My Art
    Improve My Life

Thanks
    Tetherball, Thank you very much. I didn't know that I know how to construct (<-odd sentence, Is that right?)
    You are right about the depth, I'm struggling! But that construct part I think has insidiously gotten into my head from dozens of youtube videos (fzdschool, scott robertson +++ many random tutorials) It's really hard for me to think first then draw and that is why I many times find myself doing just random sketching. I think I could add depth to my work if I work really hard on composition and overall-values. (sorry if the english is not right)

No paintwork today... just some sketching with pencil and PIGMA microns. See you again!
    (maybe some little paintwork before going to sleep ;D)

Thanks
    I see definite improvement - that frog in perspective is awesome... great work dude keep it up!
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent updates! Regarding the boat in 1 point perspective it feels more like a side view. I'd put rocks converging in the distant water to convey more linear perspective and depth. It also helps to add more interest for that part of the image since it's rather empty. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    cranksaft, thank you and thanks for the opinion about the scene.

Hello! I'm at this stage right now about the paintwork. Nothing here is final.
    I want to share my plan here (so maybe I will stick to it better when it's written down)
    -I will continue painting the lineart away
    -fix the boat design a bit to make it more interesting(hope i can figure it out)
    -adjust the colors and overall values (focal point at the boat)(overall scene now too saturated)
    -add few objects and a character to scene (little dock on the right side, birds, floating signs to he left side maybe, character? dont know yet, let's see what happens)
    And when the overall scene is figured out then detail few layers.

See you!

Thanks
    Hey!

Tractor is based on my old vectorart. I draw it thru and gave a quick marker color.

Painting update!
    I'm struggling with it and making mistakes and what is really cool is that I'm learning new things!!!
    I'm painting and redoing stuff and BOOM something hits me. Small things but helpful!
    Not giving up with this. Some elements are still missing... character and something to give more depth.
    When I figure those out I start to detail. See ya!

Thanks
    doodleday...

Thanks
    Looking good! Some critique: For the boat pic I'd change the size of the wooden planks and make some of them look weather warped to avoid that flat repetitive look. I'd also make some darker and some lighter to get rid of the monotony. Also the boat itself can use more "stuff" turned towards the viewer to avoid looking too mechanical. Eg have ropes along the side of the hull and open that door towards us.

Thanks
    crankshaft, supermuch thanks for your view about the scene. I tried to warp those planks to look it more real.

Hello. Mechsketch, speedpaint and the boat on the beach on this update.

Boat scene was a fun exercise. I didn't come as I wanted but made me realise that I need more understanding about composition and values, also colors.
    It lacks many things but what I'm happy about it is that this was a 100% from my mind, and if I look two years back I couldn't do something like this.
    So there has been some progress.
    I think I'm going to force myself to do some real-lifestudies and now it's time for some major portrait exercise.
    Supermuch thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment.
    See you!

Thanks
    Great pics! I think that white highlight on the spider mech is a bit too light and it looks too artificial being white. Also the boat pic is great! Critique: Try to vary the values more throughout the image because the top half is very blown out and the second half is much darker value wise. The silhouette of the white cabin also fades/blends a bit too much with the light sky.

Thanks
    crankshaft, thanks for the help and crit.

Here some sketchbookstuff...

Thanks
    Loving your creature and especially vehicle concepts! You've improved a ton since 1 year ago.
    Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

27. The Following User Says Thank You to freakmod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love your marker sketches! any tips for starting with markers? (tutorial, book)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to michin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @freakmod, Thank you very much! Your words means really a lot.
    @michin, Thank you. I think the best way to get to know markers is to buy a set and just fill your sketches with them.
    I bought a cheap set from ebay just to get started. First I just filled my sketches in greyscale and I'm still struggling with using colors.
    I could meaby put a little tutorial here in the future about how I use my markers. Just somekind of basics because I'm still learning myself

Here a sketch and marker version about the warrior seen previously.

Thanks
    cheers

Thanks
    Great work. For the last pic the objects all feel like they're floating in space. I think the pic would benefit with a grey graduation/transition for the lower half to indicate a ground plane. Also I'd darken the cast shadows a bit more.

Thanks
    Thanks Cranksaft. I think I will continue that piece in some point. Maybe with watercolors and add a street on it.

Hello.
    Sunday doodels.
    I bought Pilot Hi-Tec C pens (0.25.) it is quite thin but I kind of like it. Fun to sketch with.

Thanks
    good stuff! I recommend more line weights or solidifying busy intersections with solid black to make the images pop more.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast