Painting in Photoshop - Overcoming the Plasticity?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painting in Photoshop - Overcoming the Plasticity?

I'm generally new to art, and have been learning to paint in Photoshop. One issue I've been running up against is that, because digital tools do not have the inherent texture of traditional media, my results come out too smooth and plastic-y. I'm hoping people might be able to give me some advice on how to overcome this hurdle. To show you what I'm talking about:

I'm trying to avoid too much reliance upon texture mapping/overlays to make my work look natural or realistic. In general, I like a painterly, rather than photorealistic effect, so I don't necessarily need to show pores and freckles every time I paint a face--just as long as the result looks like a painting, and not a balloon. What makes this happen?

I'm not sure if it's my knowledge of Photoshop techniques, or my knowledge or art that's lacking here; that's one of the things I'm hoping you can tell me. What should I be studying in order to reach the next step?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe try some traditional-ish styled brushes.
    These are nice.

I've used some them quite a bit.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're not using reference. You're asking too much of yourself to early. Set up references (fruit, bowls, etc...) and paint what you see. DO NOT get caught up with some other artist does. Go at your own pace.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is combo of many things. Let me break it down for you.
    contour
    tonal
    variation in family of colors
    color temperature
    contour_ the outline you have right now is too perfect. What a commenter mentioned is correct. A) you need ref because you don't have enough visual information about this subject.This is due to the fact you don't see enough terrain variation thus looking to perfect.
    Tonal- this is related to terrain also because tones describe the unevenness of a surface. You simply don't have that here thus again
    is too perfect.

variations in colors- In a real painting, esp painterly approach, there are many variation of family of colors not just one to describe the "TURN" of a form. You lack that here. You need to select say yellow orange, red orange and the darker and lighter counter part of them.

color temperature- As a surface turns, it also changes in temperature from warm to cools. The form side need cooler colors to show it is cooling off too as it turns away from the light. We can say warm light are almost always the situation here, thus cool violets and green should be apparent as it rotates away. Think in the image of a planet. I hope this helps. If not email me
    mvstudios.vinhmac@gmail.com
    or visit my site www.zhibit.org/mvstudios

Members who have read this thread: 34