Cintiq Companion issues

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cintiq Companion issues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cintiq Companion issues

Hey there fellow skribblers,

My Head of Art just popped in today to hand me a fresh Cintiq Companion we got for trial reasons. I was pretty excited ofcourse, though I realized pretty soon, that this stylish piece of hardware doesn't exactly work the way I expected it to ...
    But to make a long story short, this is supposed to be a thread for people that have problems with the Companion in general and the place to share possible solutions.

For me it starts with not being able to activate the touch function within the tablet settings. Whenever I click on the checkbox, the tick disappears again after a split second. Meaning I'm not able to use the zooming strip for example, which unfortunately is not available as an external interface element on the cintiq itself, but has to be blent in on the display. And using the zoom by clicking on the icon in the PS toolbar really shouldn't be the alternative ...

Suggestions are highly appretiated!

Cheers

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently received my companion on Tuesday and have had some time to really mess around with it finally. I've been setting up my express keys/pen/radial menu for Photoshop first and have now gotten into the habit of painting to try out different approaches and styles. The only big issue I have encountered is that the two finger touch for panning around isn't working. There seems to be some kind of conflict, it automatically throws my image in the lower right of the screen after I finish panning which is very frustrating, so I've set up an express key for space until I find a solution. I assume this could be a problem that all intuos/cintiqs with touch have with photoshop. Sketchbook pro works perfect with touch controls. If anyone knows how to correct this, please let me know

Now lets talk about the Companion itself and what I think of it so far:

-The design all over is amazing. I am a Product Designer/Concept Artist/Illustrator and am very impressed. My one knock would be on the stand that you can attach for the different positions.It feels cheap and is annoying to set up, I am always afraid I may snap something so I rarely use it.

-It does take a little time to get used to where things are located. I found myself accidentally hitting the power button on the lower right and locking my screen to where it goes into sleep mode a few times while using it. After looking into the issue, you can change the way the power button works so when you hit it by mistake it won't do that. I just don't hit it anymore thanks to muscle memory, but its nice knowing that option is there if it became a big problem.

-The case that comes with it is very nice and has space for everything including the wireless keyboard I ordered with it. It does not however have room for the Power Brick/Chord. Now, they are really small but I wouldn't place it in the bag it came with. I think I will be getting a hard Samsonite type case for it where I can cut and customize the foam pads for it and to also have room for the chord and accessories like keyboard and mouse. If someone sits on it with the case it comes with.....I'll cry a river and drown myself in it.

-Another minor annoyance with the touch controls is sometimes if your pen gets too far away from the screen while working, some of your palm or other knuckles might "touch" and that screws you up. The solution I have found for this is the Smudge Guard glove sold for cintiqs. At around $15, it's a great investment as it covers the lower palm and two last fingers. Plus it also prevents your palm from sticking if you are sweaty. Most just turn off the touch all together, but I like pinching and for zooming in and out, etc.

-Windows 8 is something I didn't like at first on my desktop, but now I see why. It was made with touch interfaces in mind. Works way smoother on a tablet! Now I have been learning the nuances of windows 8 little by little as i run into something annoying and research. One such situation was the on screen keyboard. It was missing so many keys that I wanted to bind to my express keys! In windows 8 settings, you can go toggle on the full keyboard option. At first I thought it was a wacom issue.

-The battery life is awesome! I turned off pretty much all the battery saving options and it can still run for a while. I've used sketchbook pro/photoshop cs6/internet for music streaming and get about 5 hours of use. I'm sure as you work on heavier files and programs that could vary greatly and if you used some of the power saving features, even more. Even if it were 3 hours at max power settings I wouldn't complain. How often are you away from a power source? I could take this thing out to a park or on a flight and have enough time to sketch and get something going. It also charges pretty fast once plugged in. I clocked it at around 30 minutes for almost a full charge.

-I have yet to install Zbrush on it so can't talk about that yet, but I will let my friend at work who is a professional modeler give it ago and ask him for his thoughts. Given the specs, I wouldn't do my product design nurbs modeling or rendering on the tablet much. I have my desktop and office machines for that.

-The solid state drive is great. Loads up so fast.

-A lot of people are up in arms over the price. Wacom being one of the few companies that provides this tech very well, they can over charge as they see fit. Being a poor college student in art school I would have never been able to afford this device. Now that I am 3 years out of college and working in my field I can give myself that luxury. It's like buying a high end sports or luxury car. I can hit the same speed limit and get to places with a cheaper car as well. But are you going to bitch and moan about the prices of the higher end cars? End of the day, this device won't make you a better artist, only you can and the more foundation you have under your belt, the better your work will be with anything. This is not a shortcut. This is only a shortcut to your digital workflow. For me, working a cintiq before and then going to an intuos sucked. Once you get that feeling back of looking at what you are drawing directly, it makes all the difference to me. But that wouldn't matter if I didn't know how to draw and paint in the first place. So back to the topic, if I were Wacom I would probably charge the same, if not more for their tech. Stop complaining about the price and trying to knock them. You don't like it, don't buy it. They have enough people that will be willing to pay the price.

-The hard drive space seems to be enough for me. The $500 difference in price for double the hard drive space didn't seem worth it to me. You can use an external or microSD card. Oh, I also think the other difference on the higher priced tablet was that it has windows 8 pro. Also something I don't really have a need for. Now....if it was 1TB hard drive, then I probably dropped the extra $500 for it.

If you guys have any other questions just ask. I may start a blog soon to post some of the work I've been doing on it. Also, any solutions for the photoshop touch issues would be awesome. I think it may be up to adobe to fix that one, or maybe there is already a fix for it.

Oh, as for the touch issue mentioned in the above post. I thought the default express keys have the option to turn touch on and off? If not, you can set it to do so. I kept mine until I feel I will want to keep touch on for good.

Cheers.

Last edited by dortega; October 18th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most problems I've found a work-around for, and they are mainly physical like the strange lack of buttons of the tablet itself.

One thing that has bugged me recently is that if you go to life drawing or just want to sketch in portrait mode with the screen rotated.
    In photoshop, the windows and layout will only stretch so far portrait screen mode, its impossible to size the windows to match the vertical length of the screen, even in full screen mode. I really want to find a solution to this problem if i can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLemonyFresh View Post
    Most problems I've found a work-around for, and they are mainly physical like the strange lack of buttons of the tablet itself.

One thing that has bugged me recently is that if you go to life drawing or just want to sketch in portrait mode with the screen rotated.
    In photoshop, the windows and layout will only stretch so far portrait screen mode, its impossible to size the windows to match the vertical length of the screen, even in full screen mode. I really want to find a solution to this problem if i can.
    Unless I'm reading the problem wrong...rotate the Tablets orientation to Portrait mode before opening Photoshop. Then when you open Photoshop it should scale accordingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That worked just fine, thankyou for taking the time to answer, much appreciated

Members who have read this thread: 24