Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 683 Posts

EOW Round #217: Graveyard for Villains

TOPIC: Graveyard for Villains
    topic suggested by OchreHand

Deadline: October 23, 2013
    *will be two days longer than usual, I will be out of town on the 18th and 19th.

Brief:
    1. Design an environment that adheres to the topic/theme.
    2. You must post at least once in this W.I.P. thread to be included in the finals thread for the voting poll.

Congrats to 5ofnovember for winning EOW Round #215 The Pagoda!

Post your final entries in the 'FINAL BURNING' thread which I will be posting about a week or so from the deadline. If you need more time to get your finals in, let me know and I'll extend the deadline. Good luck!
    Last edited by Vulgar`; October 21st, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Sharpen your environment design skills at Environment of the Week.

Sketch everyday at Daily Sketch Group.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I dont know how to draw this subject
    Name:  EOW217_incinerated.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  180.6 KB
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart

Thanks
    great subject

I did some thumbs , will do some more before committing to one :
    Sketch Book :
    My Sketch Book

Thanks
    LnF don't ignore monkeybread's advice, go for a ratio between 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. Not that you're required to do so, but it will help your work until you can consciously make a decision to use a square canvas for a specific purpose

Also, for thumbnails try to limit yourself to just 3-4 values. Use 100% opacity and no opacity jitter on your brush if you're using that. It will help define sections of your composition.
    Concept Art | Photography
    http://eidobunny.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    eidobunny : i won't ignore his advice , didn't know that 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 are the most common aspect ratio for films

As for the thumbnails , i changed the opacity manually so yeah i didn't use 100% opacity.
    tried to use 4 values like in muddycolors forum link explains and used black,near black,near white and white
    but i find it hard to separate between layers , like a mountain further back than the other closer one because they have the same opacity , i will keep practicing

I'm trying to create a high slope lane going way back into the distance into a large valley with tombstones in the distance
    and there is a very big moon , maybe trying to go for a cartoon like image :
    Sketch Book :
    My Sketch Book

Thanks
    I feel like I could probably find the time for this one, but to be quite honest, this one leaves kind of a blank page in my head because I keep hitting a paradoxical pattern:

I want to design cemetery for people who are the worst people, but no one would want to have any monuments for them or anything. They'd want to make the cemetery as plain and simple as possible, since these are the worst possible people. Then, I started thinking along the lines of keeping the souls from escaping, but that keeps giving me images that don't look at all like a graveyard.

Thanks
    tryin'.
    Name:  graveyard.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  119.8 KB
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    http://jonathanguziart.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    @LnF: Look how much better those look already! The bottom left is really good. Keep going that direction and try to keep away from the way you painted the bottom right one.

The idea is to get the major shapes, then later you can make little adjustments to separate certain elements

Thanks
    This is really hard...It's discouraging and embarrassing, but if I'm going to make a comic I can't have my characters living in environments that looked all warped and mishaped.
    Name:  testss.png
Views: 2591
Size:  36.6 KB
    They aren't detailed at all but I did use 4 values and tried to keep to that ratio!

Thanks
    @Nyvivanv: Keep working on it! I suggest before putting down any ink, imagine the entire space, perhaps even from the top-down. Then take the camera and put it in your world and come up with a compelling composition. If you're just starting out, or even if you're a professional, try doing about 50 of those little black and white doodles, then pick your 10 favorite and add just a little bit more detail, then choose your 3 favorite and add a bit more, and then pick one to finish. It's a lot of work but the more you do it, the better you'll become and the quicker you can reach those compelling composition.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eidobunny View Post
    @Nyvivanv: Keep working on it! try doing about 50 of those little black and white doodles, then pick your 10 favorite...
    Dear lord 50 environments. Almost had a heart attack.

I love the concept though! Thank you so much for that and I'll definitely try doing it next time I try this. Thank you so much.

Thanks
    Incinerated: Call start! liking the colors, just run with it!

LnF: liking the tilled angle view with the last thumbnail bottom left corner, looks great.

Jo2morrow: love the bottom right one, great camera shot, i wish i thought of that!

Nyvivianv: Thats a good start just take in stages, and refine as you go also when i started out like that i copied and pasted photos, it sort of helps figure things out and then you can paint over that, just never give up.

Sunday morning sketchin . . . .

Name:  Scan10024.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  156.1 KB

Thanks
    @Incinerated: Will this be a dragons grave? Base colors look good

@Jo2morrow: Thumb no. 6 bottom right looks interesting.

@ Nyvivianv: Try a broader composition like in a movie, for example 500 px high and 1200 px wide. Your thumbs are very different which is good, keep trying different things. Keep in mind that everyone's drawings look shit at an early stage even those of the masters. If you go on, the drawing will inevitably get better

@AdrianNagorski: There are coffins flying through the air and there is some creepy guy welcoming you to enjoy the show. It all looks very happy like in a theme park. "Hey kids, wanna go see some really nasty guys?" "Yayyyy daddy, we wants!"

My sketches below: The graveyard holds a "dead" Artificial Intelligence Entity which has done some not-nice things in the past, maybe an Ai-Dictator. The circular thing in the middle of each pic is the "coffin". The Ai is held in place there, optimaly for eternity

Name:  13_09 eow #217 sketches.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  65.5 KB
    Last edited by Neldrion; October 6th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    First Sketch

> Name:  Villains Graveyard WIP.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  204.0 KB

Thanks
    You guys pul off som pretty damn fun topics to draw wish I didnt need to sleep or work so I can get to it hehe. I might just find me some time. Great thumbnails morrow. Go for top right, look like its undergournd. Makes sence since they are villains they are hidden from open world.

Nyvivianv, think were would u put this graveyard if you had some villain coffins? I think I just might send them out to space Even though im nov villain I would like being slung out toward the sun when I die hehe. Keep it simple.

Neldrion, cool idea man, I love to see it finished. I like 3 and 6. Make it like a corridor leading to the A.I. (hal from 20+1 space odessey alike )

Discorave, the atmosphere is thick! Very moody. A place were few ppl live, looks very distant wich make sence.

Thanks
    Some quick thumbs
    Name:  thumbs.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  263.9 KB
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Ok so here are my sketches. It was difficult to think about, like Alkan pointed out, I had a hard time coming up with a place where you would bury/honor villainous scum. Anyway, I think I'm going with the upper right sketch. I'm thinking that it's a scene of a grave yard traveling through space, possibly heading towards the sun to be disposed of. I think the concept could be better but I'm liking the composition.

Name:  Villian_cemetary.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  248.4 KB

Thanks
    Question: Can an Artificial Intelligence die and can it be burried? If its hardware components are destroyed or fail to function, one would think that obviously its spirit would cease to exist, but can you tell for sure? What if it isn’t confined to one piece of hardware. Does it have to be caged then, so every part of data that exists of it, has to be pulled to a source alias the “coffin”. Would you have to attract it? Lure it into his own grave? On the other side, what about data deletion? Can you be sure that data is deleted. What if the Ai gives you a false readout and says “ya ya, there is nothing here on this harddrive, honestly”

Counter question: If a human dies, his body (hardware) stops functioning an his soul is gone, but can you tell for sure? What if he just ignores you Do you have proof?

Next Sketch:
    Name:  13_09 eow #217 sketch 02.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  72.1 KB

Thanks
    lol Neldrion. But yes I think some alien race may have forged an AI in the core of a planet or even a STAR! And thus being unbreakable. you cant disassemble it either. Only way to destroy it is through a super-hyper nova or just buried somewhere in the intergalactic space.

I don't believe in soul but I can't dissaprove it either...but he may still exist, in a parallel world.
    Last edited by Aissa78; October 7th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neldrion View Post

Counter question: If a human dies, his body (hardware) stops functioning an his soul is gone, but can you tell for sure? What if he just ignores you Do you have proof?
    Wait, are you actually asking this question or are you just bouncing around ideas for sketching/concepting?

If the first, I'd have to reply that all evidence we have points towards the fact that "you" and "me" (a scientist will call it consciousness, you may call it soul although the term does have a transcendent, spiritual/religious meaning as well) are nothing more than electrical activity in our brains. Once it ceases (as in brain death), everything that makes us what we are is simply gone.

Thanks
    Name:  villan grave thumbs.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  79.7 KB
    tow different thumbnails, cant yet decide which will be strongest for the theme, the top one seems a bit generic but more interesting, where as the bottom is a bit more original and and has some story elements that suggest the "villains" theme :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Name:  tumblr_mubq34hJ9m1rjx2rao1_1280.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  503.6 KB

Enviros - NOT my forte

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 401 Posts
    Double post

Thanks
    Last edited by Arden.; December 22nd, 2013 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Some 1 hour thumbs. I kinda like the first one. Its a cargo carying all graves of these vicious villains. The ppl living in the planet are a suspicious species who rather have them out of reach for everyone. attached to some kinda of inhabitant planet in orbit.

2nd is a cave with all these graves lined up and a walkway in the middle.

3rd, in the seen floating above surface with chains sunk to the deeps of the ocean.

4th, a graveyard in a cliff high up in the sky.

Name:  villian graveyard.jpg
Views: 3275
Size:  270.2 KB

Thanks
    Last edited by Arden.; December 22nd, 2013 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    nice work ladies and gentlemen
    me pretty exhausted from work today so just another quick 5seconds on this.... can't wait for the weekend.....
    Name:  Eow_217_VG2.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  165.5 KB

Thanks
    Quick sketcharoonies...
    Various vile villains expel their final vapid vapoours in a variegated manner of vile vengeances.
    Name:  2013.10.09_EoW_VillainGraveyard_thmbs1.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  126.8 KB
    Last edited by monkeybread; October 9th, 2013 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks
    Will give this one a shot I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    I dont know how to draw this subject
    hahaha same

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast