jumping, not falling
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: jumping, not falling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jumping, not falling

Okay, this is really early days on this, probably too soon to ask for crit, but I'm looking for pointers on composition and pose.

As you can see, the design is nowhere near finished, she'll have more clothes on eventually, the anatomy is just rough landmarks at the moment. The idea is a magi jumping from above, background might be buildings or a giant forest, not sure. Oh, and the flying whale is her familiar, and hopefully composition device.

So right now she looks like she's falling, not jumping, and I'm not sure how to compose it so we don't trail off and get lost in the open space of sky at the top. I'm hoping to use her hair and robes to make a graphic composition that leads the eye.

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by maths82 View Post
    Okay, this is really early days on this, probably too soon to ask for crit, but I'm looking for pointers on composition and pose.

As you can see, the design is nowhere near finished, she'll have more clothes on eventually, the anatomy is just rough landmarks at the moment. The idea is a magi jumping from above, background might be buildings or a giant forest, not sure. Oh, and the flying whale is her familiar, and hopefully composition device.

So right now she looks like she's falling, not jumping,
    What's the difference? Jumping from a height necessarily means that you're... well, falling.
    I'm asking because I'm not sure what it is that you want to change since I don't understand your distinction between jumping/falling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess maths82 wishes the character seems more active and dynamic than suffering the fall if you get my meaning.
    For dynamic jumping from cliff you can find references like this ones: http://www.sandbox-network.com/wp-co...f-a-cliff.jpeg and http://stormynightpublishing.com/wp-...liff-diver.jpg very easily on Google "jumping from a cliff".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Benedikt - thanks for looking, yes I understand what you mean, and I think StefRob answered better than I could Yes, I'm aiming at something that looks more like a dynamic choice by the character rather than falling helplessly under gravity, but I do agree with your point that these are almost the same thing : )

StefRob - Cool man, thanks, I was looking at high-jumpers and volley ball players for ref, but cliff jumping looks more like what I'm after..

Back to the drawing board

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think to me the problem is that based on the background, she seems to be relatively close to the ground (like 50-100 meters, as opposed to like skydiving) and in general I would assume that she'd be ready to shift her pose to land. As in, turn her legs to brace for the fall, but she's falling basically headfirst and waving her arms around which gives easily a sense of panic (as opposed to say, diving down), which to me, based on this one image, gives more of an accidental falling rather deliberate jumping feel.
    I would look at some Spiderman comics, since he's a character that does a lot of controlled falling.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TinyBird - totally right.. that "preparing to land" pose helps her to not look like she's flailing / falling. I took a look at some spidey stuff; a quick re-think, still rough, but hopefully a slightly more successful shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for the pointers, I've a few more sketches trying to take on board those ideas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you just find your dynamic ... I think the best dynamic you have ( in my opinion ) it's the one of yersterday at 1h45

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those last sketches look good I think the first one in the last post (with the border) works best so far in my opinion. Though you'd have to push the whale behind her unless it's a tiny whale. The right one is a bit too warrior-like and the bottom looks like she could be swimming.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.