Oil Painter Going Photoshop? Advice

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Oil Painter Going Photoshop? Advice

Hi, for the first time ever, I'll be using photoshop to make a painting instead of oils! I can use any and all photoshop advice geared for an oil painter!

So heres what I'm doing so far, I've set aside a portion of the image to be my mixing palette. Im even using a grey background to help me with mixing, otherwise the white is invisible! Ive started playing with the brushes, setting it to pen pressure.

But, I could still use some advice as to which brushes are best for "oil painting". Right now, I'm having trouble duplicating the finesse and flexibility of a classic round brush. Also, I feel like I'm having to press really hard to get full paint flow. How can I fix that?

Also, is there any easy way to access your favorite brushes? I really only use about three types of brushes when painting. thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smellykitty View Post
    Hi, for the first time ever, I'll be using photoshop to make a painting instead of oils! I can use any and all photoshop advice geared for an oil painter!

So heres what I'm doing so far, I've set aside a portion of the image to be my mixing palette. Im even using a grey background to help me with mixing, otherwise the white is invisible! Ive started playing with the brushes, setting it to pen pressure.

But, I could still use some advice as to which brushes are best for "oil painting". Right now, I'm having trouble duplicating the finesse and flexibility of a classic round brush. Also, I feel like I'm having to press really hard to get full paint flow. How can I fix that?

Also, is there any easy way to access your favorite brushes? I really only use about three types of brushes when painting. thanks
    But why did you go for Photoshop?

If you want to preserve the traditional media feeling, then Painter and Artrage are much better programs to be honest.

I own Artrage myself and also tried the trial of the New Painter X3. It´s amazing (much better performance now) and I am saving up cash now to buy it later.

I think in general, artists who use Photoshop daily, approach the software as an entirely new unique medium and artists that want to preserve the tradional media feeling go for Painter and Artrage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Easy, economics!

A friend gave me an older version of photoshop that they don't need, so I got it for free. Painter is way out of my budget, I did play with the free trial though and it is an awesome painterly program.

Artrage economically is do-able. I'm playing with the free trial now but I'm still having some trouble figuring it out. My biggest problem so far with artrage is opacity problems. Like for example, I had a dark blue background. Then I decided I would brighten up that background a bit. But no matter how much new paint I was adding to the dark blue, not much was happening, it was still dark blue. The new paint was just disappearing into the dark blue and not doing squat! So I had to start a new layer.

I figured it shouldn't necessarily be that way. I'm assuming I should easily be able to control the opacity of my colors. But I was having trouble figuring that out with artrage. Unless its a wacom pressure problem, again Im all new to this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smellykitty View Post
    Easy, economics!

A friend gave me an older version of photoshop that they don't need, so I got it for free. Painter is way out of my budget, I did play with the free trial though and it is an awesome painterly program.

Artrage economically is do-able. I'm playing with the free trial now but I'm still having some trouble figuring it out. My biggest problem so far with artrage is opacity problems. Like for example, I had a dark blue background. Then I decided I would brighten up that background a bit. But no matter how much new paint I was adding to the dark blue, not much was happening, it was still dark blue. The new paint was just disappearing into the dark blue and not doing squat! So I had to start a new layer.

I figured it shouldn't necessarily be that way. I'm assuming I should easily be able to control the opacity of my colors. But I was having trouble figuring that out with artrage. Unless its a wacom pressure problem, again Im all new to this!
    Just check out some tutiorials on Artrage. It blends colors just fine. The artrage forum is also full of helpful People that gladly help out.
    You just have to give yourself some time to get into a program and learn it´s features! Especially for someone like you who is completely New into the digital realm.

Photoshop is actually far more overwhelming then Artrage. Trust me. Especially if you want to achieve that traditional feel.
    It´s much easier to learn the ropes of Artrage. It also has a much more friendly and very clean User Interface.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to keep practicing and learning artrage then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can try photoshop and a plugin for blending colors - mixcolors.. does its job very well! yeah.. photoshop is overwhelmed that's true but it's the most featured graphics software out there..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Centauro View Post
    you can try photoshop and a plugin for blending colors - mixcolors.. does its job very well! yeah.. photoshop is overwhelmed that's true but it's the most featured graphics software out there..
    Ehmm no. Photoshop is and will always be a Photo Retouching software foremost and artist software secondary. Sure they have improved the brush engine and added more and more features over the years. But it is still a photo retouching software at it's core.

Both Painter and Artrage for example, are dedicated art software With the artist in mind and so try to recreate the traditional Tools digitally.

Just that Photoshop has been the "accepted" software to use among many digital artists, doesn't mean it's the best software out there.
    The reason for this goes back many years when digital art was at it's beginning and Photoshop being the only decent software out there at the time.
    So lots of digital artists have invested a lot in Photoshop over the years and so reluctant to switch to other software.

Yet, you see today that more and more digital artists actually combine both Photoshop and Painter for their work and make use of the best of both worlds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two legendary plugins from anastasiy: Magicpicker & Mixcolors (http://anastasiy.com/panels) make Photoshop just like corel's Painter....Painter is so easy but Photoshop has more features so I work in two

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, If you like to emulate digital media and get a cheap software I would definitely recommend Manga Studio 5, is very similar to Photoshop, but made for painting.
    I know that the name isn't appealing, but is the best software for digital painting to date, fast and light on the system, I even use it on a 6 years old a Motion Computing C5 tablet without any problem or slowing down, and you can easily move from Manga Studio to Photoshop to adjust curves, brightness contrast and so on, plus the pressure curve and smoothness of the lines are incredible, especially coming from Photoshop and the slightly jittery lines problem that the software have.
    The standard brushes aren't great, but you can easily find more brushes online and also make your own brushes.

I like Painter and Artrage brushes, but they are not smooth and flawless software as Photoshop and Manga Studio 5 are, and sometimes they crash doesn't matter how powerful is your set up, which is something you don't really want to experience after working on a painting for 5 hours or so :-)

Manga Studio 5 is also called Clip Studio Paint, I believe, older version of Manga Studio are completely different software,

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, If you like to emulate digital media and get a cheap software I would definitely recommend Manga Studio 5, is very similar to Photoshop, but made for painting.
    I know that the name isn't appealing, but is the best software for digital painting to date, fast and light on the system, I even use it on a 6 years old a Motion Computing C5 tablet without any problem or slowing down, and you can easily move from Manga Studio to Photoshop to adjust curves, brightness contrast and so on, plus the pressure curve and smoothness of the lines are incredible, especially coming from Photoshop and the slightly jittery lines problem that the software have.
    The standard brushes aren't great, but you can easily find more brushes online and also make your own brushes.

I like Painter and Artrage brushes, but they are not smooth and flawless software as Photoshop and Manga Studio 5 are, and sometimes they crash doesn't matter how powerful is your set up, which is something you don't really want to experience after working on a painting for 5 hours or so :-)

Manga Studio 5 is also called Clip Studio Paint, I think... older version of Manga Studio are completely different software, so look for the 5

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by azelll View Post

Manga Studio 5 is also called Clip Studio Paint, I believe, older version of Manga Studio are completely different software,

Hope this helps
    Ehh I am sorry. Don't want to troll you here. But who in their right mind Paints for 5 hours straight without saving work regularly in the meantime?

Any piece of software can crash for any number of reasons any time! There is not a single piece of software that saves you from that!

That you haven't crashed yet in Manga Studio 5, doesn't mean it will never happen.

I never personally crashed With Artrage myself (so far), but did so several times with both Photoshop and Painter. It happens and always does when you least expect it!

That is why it is ALWAYS important to save Your work regularly! ALWAYS! No matter what software you use! It's the number one rule!

And it's not just in Painting programs. The same applies for working in Office or any other piece of software!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another vote for MagicPicker and Mixcolors here. I teach art and students get it immediately how the color painting and relationships concepts work in oil and as well as in digital painting. They turn Photoshop into the painter's canvas really.
    BTW they have a great black friday sale of their color picking/mixing products now, we got a lot of licenses for our class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guys you rock! thank you for the hints! This thread just saved my day and Mixcolors now is my essential plugin for PS CC (I'm a long time MP user. but never knew that they have other plugins).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guys I'm stuck with Magic Picker in Photoshop CC... When I change colors on the color wheel it changes only the background! I wrote to their support and they didn't answer. Do you know how to fix it?

UPD: nevermind just got the answer from their support. FIXED!

Last edited by DeEsArch; May 2nd, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeEsArch View Post
    UPD: nevermind just got the answer from their support. FIXED!
    Would be interested to hear what the fix is,DeEsArch? Others who have the same problem would probably benefit too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, you have to double click on the rectangle with foreground color...
    Name:  here.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  88.3 KB

if you double click on background it switches to background color picker... Quite handy! They also told me they're putting together documentation on their site (www.anastasiy.com)... Magic Picker is packed with lots of features that are hidden behind those tiny buttons (like Photoshop)... Lotsa learning!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DeEsArch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anastasiy has the new versions by the way....For Magic Picker and Mix Colors... Mix Colors has a better mixer and Magic Picker now assigns keyboard shortcut to color wheel...

Members who have read this thread: 24