Thanks

Which languages do you think a comic artist should study?

Which languages do you guys think a person should study?

My list of languages I personally think I should study are: Portuguese,French,Spanish,Japanese,Chinese.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    I recently read that if you are fluent in Mandarin and English, you can communicate with half the world's population. So in terms of efficiency, those two seem pretty obvious.

But you probably also want to consider your material and target audience. If you're drawing from or aiming at a particular culture or country, having the material written in that audience's language could be very beneficial to you.

Here are some wiki pages that discuss the number of speakers of various world languages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ative_speakers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...er_of_speakers

Thanks
    Study a language that will be of some benefit to you and enrich your life. If you study Mandarin the only outcome is that you could go and live in Mordor (oops, I mean China). So probably not worth studying your brains out in all your spare time for 5 years just so you can live in a crummy, primitive shithole of an apartment in an ugly , polluted, hostile mega city.

Study a language because the culture has something to offer you. There are plenty of beautiful cultures and places in the world, China is not one of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    pigeon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I have a tiny bit familiarity with Portuguese (should be fluent in it, but not), some decent beginner knowledge of Japanese, considering learning Vietnamese, and having some interest in Kimundu, a Bantu-family language due to this beautiful piece of music.

Thanks
    Depends where you going to live/work, english is the main stuff I guess. But if you are going to Germany or France, you need to learn their languages, because these 2 countries aren't going to speak in other languages. Can't speak for other countries because I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks
    Yeah, just English unless you work somewhere where English isn't the main language. I think studying different cultures is pretty important.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karta tajba View Post
    Which languages do you guys think a person should study?

My list of languages I personally think I should study are: Portuguese,French,Spanish,Japanese,Chinese.
    Honest question: Do you know any languages besides English?

I know English, German, and Spanish. Just those three languages alone let me understand many other languages without too much struggle, particularly if I'm reading. There's not much of a need to learn French or Italian to complete fluency (unless you really want to, of course) when you know Spanish.

Also, if you don't already know another language, be prepared to be shocked at how difficult it is to learn even with consistent practice. The time dedication required is even worse than drawing.
    Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    He estudido Español desde hice un año pero yo he lo sido un poco antes tome la idioma en serio.

Ich hatte Deutsch seit fur zwei jahren im realschule aber jetzt ich glaube es ist scheisse weil ich nicht viel deutschesprachesender sehe. Obwohl Ich wohne in eine DeustcheAmerikanischen stadt oder stadt das hat/habt viel deutsch gesichetelich.

I had studied Spanish for a year but I knew a little bit before i took the language seriously.

I had German for two years in High School, but now I believe it's shitty because I don't see a lot of German speakers to practice although. My city is German or i Had/have Germans historically. *

* I forgot to put uben in the German paragraph.