Leopard-Warrior, Value render

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Leopard-Warrior, Value render

Hi guys!
    I'm student at FZD and will soon have finished my first term, where we covered all the fundamentals. While our teachers do critique our work from time to time, they don't do it with every piece and I hoped the forum could fill that lack. ^^
    We have some really awesome students in class and I'm desperate to catch up to them, so please show no mercy.

The Leopard's Design is influenced by Apocalypto's Maya warriors, done in about 16 hrs. I know the dropshadow is a bit too rough.

Thank you very much for checking!

Attachment 1833942

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well lets do it then.
    There are some mistakes with the anatomy for a start. The arms don't seem to be the same length, the legs seem weird (especially the one behind the spear). I'd say you either need more practice or at least more work/planning on the basic anatomy. And is it me or does he have 6 fingers on his hand ?
    Values need work too. The values aren't really consistent with the amount of light each part should get. Some parts are just in some shadow and are very dark, while others are even hidden from occlusion light yet aren't as dark. Also, don't be scared of having small areas either very dark or very light. It looks like he's in some shadow rather than direct sun/other light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Stephou, thank you very much!

True, the legs and arms are wierd, some mistakes were probably created cause at some point I thought of Leopard's anatomy and then switched over to human, so they are kinda mixed. The back arm is supposed to be foreshortend, I admit I'm not too sure with how its precisely done, I've tried the cylinder method but I need a lot more practice with it. And wow I actually painted 6 fingers on his hand, I could slap myself for that one. ^^ Dunno how that could happen...
    Anyway could you please specify which parts have inconsistent value? I think a reason why it looks kinda wierd is because most of his legs are hidden by the coreshadow of the torso and hand, and also darkened by a black bottom to top gradient for top down light. I'm not sure if it's supposed to look like that.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, (never too late you're welcome.
    About the 6 fingers thing, I've seen a much more embarassing case of it, so don't worry.
    As for the legs and arms, just do simple lines to represent the bones. It's simple yet very effective because it forces you to go on until you get things correctly.
    Well even though there is a main light source, it will bounce all around. Everything around your character becomes a new light source, which obviously has much lower intensity. Even your character is a light source. This light causes a whole new set of lights and shadows, that are much softer of course. Areas that are hidden from it will be darker, while areas exposed will be lighter. You did it for the shadow on the ground so you seem to know about it.
    What is also to be taken into account are things like fur that reflect light alot. You did get the whiskers correctly, but they aren't the only "hair" that will reflect light strongly. Fur in direct sunlight will tend to have at least small parts of it that will be very bright. It just requires the correct angle.
    Here's some paint over to give you an idea. The - areas are too dark, the + areas are too light. Also gave a suggestion for the arm.
    Name:  overpaint.png
Views: 247
Size:  595.2 KB
    So what I'd recommend is searching for pictures online (or using some real subject) to find out different light effects that can happen. Then just try and recreate these effects yourself. You can use this picture to try different light sources for example.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since you are at Feng Zhu's school, I'm sure they teach you an approach like this. Try to just do a simple wireframe over it, like just using basic forms. It will make your job much easier, and tell you how to render it. Right now you are losing sight of the larger masses and are too busy with the spots and hairs. Get the big forms in. He is posed a bit awkwardly, and he has no real neck. Try to resolve these issues first, then work on detailing. Be careful with things like his tail looking like a part of his weapon too. Hope this helps!

Name:  146.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  276.9 KB

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much both of you for taking the time!
    Yeah they did indeed teach us an approach like this. The difficulty for me sometimes is to keep up the priority line eg. Perspective>Anatomy/Proportions>Design>Detailing, especially under time pressure.
    Anyway your corrections are very helpfu1!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.