Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimonas's Sketches. Practice, for realz!

Thanks

Kimonas's Sketches. Practice, for realz!

April 12th 2015

Hi! I'm a self taught artists trying to skill up. I've been trying to get more serious for the past 18 months, and hoping to one day find some employment in character scifi/fantasy illustration. Currently i'm working on my my drawing skills, as i felt i jumped the gun a little, with the result of a lot of my illustrations lacking life. The plan after this is to get back into tonal work, more still lives, landscapes,design and composition, and after this have a shot at working on a porfolio to harrass art directors with. I think this might take another 2 years or so.

I hope you enjoy looking at my art as much as i enjoy making it.

My old stuff can be found at http://kimonas.deviantart.com/

Click on the last page of this Sketchbook to see my most recent stuff!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kimonas; June 21st, 2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Uploaded thumbnail - hope it works this time!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looking good! It's clear you have a lot of skill. I took a peek at your DeviantArt page and really liked your MultiPass one!

One thing I'd say here is to add more contrast (punch the darks a little)? The images look rather faded.

Keep studying facial structure . . . you're getting there! Aren't we all? If you don't already, work from life as much as possible.

Thanks
    These are good studies for the most part, and it seems that you understand what all you need to work on, so it'll be kinda redundant to tell you the same. Just keep pushing your fundamental studies, perspective mainly, and you'll grow exponentially. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback celadon - will try and use harder shadows and maybe have more hard edges. Your portraits are great! I do oils but haven't figured out how to mix them well yet. Maybe ill pick your brain about that one day, if you'll let me! Thank you also Mr Frenick - ill look at perspective in more detail. Hopefully another post after the weekend!

Thanks
    So, week six of training. I've mostly been trying to use darkened tones to punch shadows as suggested and trying to focus on perspective, especially with the distant eye on a portrait. Trying to wrap it round the skull.
    Ive noticed that I'm struggling to nail the shape of the skull, and have ordered a resin replica of a skull to practice! I think I'm also weak to defining the neck, but i hope to practice body anatomy lots, after I've tried introducing colour to portraiture. No small feat! So, here are this weekends studies:
    Eyes too far apart, oops!
    Poor facial shape/skull definition
    Took a bit longer with this one, trying to bring it all together. Eyes too big! Schoolboy's error!

Crit appreciated, See you next week!
    Last edited by Kimonas; September 28th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    So I've has some time mid week to do some facial feature study. Trying to work those core shadows, and figure out planes. The last set of eyes were done without references.

Interestingly, when trying to find references for ears on google search, they were all blurred on the three-quarter views. Hmm, should use that in photoshop to create more depth.

Ultimately id really love to be able to draw faces without reference - I'm almost anxious to try incase all this practice has been in vain. Being afraid of failure, keeps you going but sometimes it holds you back!

I'm still waiting for that skull Ive ordered, then i realized its being shipped from China. Lame.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    yow, kimonas. nice stuff. really enjoyed the facial features; they've become objects of their own; a very rare thing. lol, I'm inspired to try my own now. I think I will.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Well this weekends results were mixed.

I powered through two color portraits, shown below, with reference, and thought i did an okay job.

Then i felt so cocky, that i thought i could do portraits without any reference!

Man, i got my ass KICKED! I guess i just need more practice.

I might go back to greyscale for portraiture without reference, to try and nail form a bit more.

Im desperate to have fun with anatomy though, i think i might come back to portraiture in a few weeks, and look at expressions in detail.

Any tips appreciated.
    Last edited by Kimonas; September 30th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    These last two portraits are excellent! Looking good!

Thanks
    They're looking good, man. Keep pushing!

Thanks
    Hey thanks guys

I finally got that Skull! Here are a few 3-5 min sketches, i hope this helps with the whole facial structure thing!

More to come this weekend hopefully.

Thanks
    really good stuff here,good observations (lucky you have a skull ) and good features . For your digital work perhaps play with the soft brush ( the soft round pressure opacity brush ) to make a soft texture in your faces

Thanks
    Hey Thanks Laureline! Means a lot to me, I will deffo have a bash with the soft brush, esp for rendering female faces. Might make things look a bit more delicate.

Today i was fiddling about with female facial features, still not figured it out yet. What proportion and shape of female features brings the most beauty? I think i have little knowledge on this and it showed when last week, i tried to render two female faces with no references in colour. What a disaster. POW, right in the ego!

Practicing this way I'snt fast enough so I've gone back to line drawing for a bit.

I tried various profiles and proportions today, then went on to draw a few faces with the loomis method, no references this time. Was tough, but some turned out ok.

Blast away with crit or advice, Its appreciated!

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast