Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

SmilingMountain's Sketchbook

Hi everyone! My first post here on CA.org. I've been struggling to get better with my 2d art for quite some time, I really love drawing and painting and I'm really eager to improve. So any crits or general advice any of you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm used to receiving harsh crits so please don't hold back! I think I have a fair grasp of some of the fundamentals but there are definitely some chasm-like gaps in my knowledge. Really looking forward to hearing peoples opinions and improving my artwork!

To start with here are some examples of my recent sketch work so you can get an idea of where I'm at.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; December 7th, 2013 at 09:58 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think you're doing very well! I'd love to see some more studies and life drawings and paintings. More please!

Thanks
    Moved post 1 stuff here so that I could update my sketch book icon:

Name:  LandscapePractice1.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Painted Swords3.jpg
Views: 2295
Size:  192.9 KB Name:  armychick_colour3.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  221.8 KB

Name:  paintedknives.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  76.6 KB Name:  miniknight2.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  84.6 KB

POST 2:

Thanks celadon! Checked out your sketchbook, really great stuff! Here's a small something. Some weapons I painted for a challenge on Polycount.com

Name:  PCweapons1pluscontrast.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  203.4 KB
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; November 17th, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
    "Knowing is not enough, you must apply, willing is not enough, you must do"- Bruce Lee

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    DELETED
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; October 25th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
    "Knowing is not enough, you must apply, willing is not enough, you must do"- Bruce Lee

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Whoops sorry for the double posting, problem with my browser I think. Here's a couple more things from me. Practicing rendering some basic shapes using Scott Robertson's techniqes. Also experimenting with painting faces in colour C&C always welcome!

Name:  facesheet2.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  practicerender.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  151.8 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Lineart for something I may or may not finish. Actually used a reference for once which certainly helped! I want to try to do some more studies from life and imagination, though I'm not really sure what I should be focusing on right now. Anyhow any C&C is always appreciated!

Name:  samurai4.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  189.3 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Man I need to try and post here more often, not had much time for art this week. As per my previous post here are some pencil anatomy studies from reference. Haven't done this kind of stuff for ages so I'm sill pretty rusty. Hoping to get some more up soon!

Name:  torso1.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  211.4 KB Name:  torso2.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  187.6 KB

Name:  torso3.jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  221.8 KB
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; November 8th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Some more pencil anatomy studies, slowly getting to grips with traditional media again. Hoping to do some lighting studies as well as more anatomy next. As always C&C is appreciated.

Name:  arms1.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  307.5 KB Name:  torso4.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  233.0 KB
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; November 9th, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    hey, cool stuff is going on here :3 think, you learning right.
    Don't forget to draw the hole body, to get a feeling how the proportions are working together. Keep on *ö*

Thanks
    Thanks rupini! and thanks for the tip, I'll definitely start drawing some complete figures.

As I mentioned previously I was planning to do some lighting studies from imagination. The ones below were created using the techniques in Scott Robertson's intro to matte surface shading which is awesome. Really looking forward to getting his new drawing book. Planning to do some more stuff too but I've been ill over the last couple of days so haven't had much time for art unfortunately.

Name:  locallightcubes.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  158.9 KB
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; November 14th, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Changed the background

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Nothing too exciting I'm afraid. More basic forms from imagination, cylinders this time, again I used Scott Robertson's matte shading DVD's to learn this. Really trying to get a good grasp of the fundamentals.

Name:  cylinders.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  132.8 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    More basic geoforms, cones this time. Getting there slowly. Need to work on getting more polished renders

Name:  cones.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  150.0 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Really nice studies, I love your weapon concepts!
    I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks V3T!

Haven't posted much recently, been busy with work so sadly not much time for art. Anyway I've been having a go at doing some master copies in my spare time. They took a while to finish, and I'm not sure I've captured the original paintings that well, and the rendering could be a lot more polished. Even so I learned a hell of a lot by doing them so I'm counting this as a success.

Name:  masterscopiesrembrandt.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  205.5 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Linework for a baroque style portrait (from imagination), it's a bit messy but I don't plan on having the lines in the final piece anyway. I really need to try and actually paint some of this stuff

Name:  baroquesamurai_lines.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  111.5 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    More random linework from tonight:

Name:  elfqueen_lines.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  99.0 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Hey, nice work with your studies. There are some anatomy issues with this last drawing. I'd say go back and check the upper torso anatomy. It's kinda squished vertically. Her neck is also a little too long :p Do you have a version of Loomis' figure drawing for all it's worth? You should check it out if you havn't already

Keep it up man

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice jondawo! Yeah I thought something was off there but couldn't quite put my finger on it You're absolutely right the neck is too long and the torso looks squished. I have read through Loomis' drawing the head and hands, but haven't read figure drawing that extensively. I'm better with the male proportions generally as I've studied them more. I'll definitely take your advice and give it a good read though.

I actually started blocking in some paint for this last one, unfortunately before I read your post . I actually ended up cropping out a lot of it because I couldn't get it to look right, now I know why :p. it still looks wierd because the breasts are too high up will be sure to fix that later. Still trying to get to grips with this stuff.

Name:  elfqueenblockin.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  77.2 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Arrgggg, calling this one done, I've been looking at it for too long Re-drew the torso as recommended, making sure to compare with Loomis proportions. Lighting was pretty much educated guessing so it's probably not that uniform. Basically tried to apply some of what I learned from the masters copies to the painting. Blending is pretty horrendous, but I couldn't be bothered to do a really tight rendering, might clean it up some more if I get the time. Might drop it into the critique center tomorrow and get some additional feedback. Next I'm probably going to have a go at rendering that samurai, or else just get in some more practices.

Name:  elfqueenfinal.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  81.2 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Had a go at painting the samurai dude. The drawing wasn't great and the final painting ended up looking pretty rubbish as I was trying a lighting scheme I don't usually use. Really not very happy with this one but thought I'd put it up anyway as a reminder of why I need to keep practicing the fundamentals.

EDIT: Managed to correct some problems, mainly lighting stuff, the quality of the original drawing means it still isn't great but at least it's looking a little better.

Name:  baroquesamurai_paint.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  45.0 KB
    Last edited by SmilingMountain; December 19th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    A few bits and pieces, a repaint of an old piece of work, some practice placing specular highlights, and a little painting I created for my sisters Christmas card.

Name:  facesheet_repaint2.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  specpots2.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  fancypig.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  122.8 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook. There's a good understanding of value that is evident in your paintings.

Really nice master-studies too. They're invaluable in understanding colour. To bring your paintings to the next level, mix up the colour variations as seen in Rembrandt's pieces.

Keep at it

Thanks
    Small update, some bits and pieces I created using the techniques in Scott Robertson's new book. There's a bunch more in my paper sketchbook but I can't be bothered to scan them all in at the moment. I've also recently been replaying the mass effect trilogy which inspired me to create some starship silhouettes.

Name:  mirrorcurves_practice.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  ship_sillhouettes.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  90.0 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Jpoy!

Apologies for the lack of updates been busy with other things lately, here is a model sheet/ ortho view for a character I've been working on, some torso sketches as part of Matt Kohr's paint 100 technique, as well as a more finished concept for a sci-fi cabin. Trying to apply some of Scott Robertson's techniques.

Name:  scificabin_start.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  139.3 KB

Name:  elf_orthov2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  147.7 KB Name:  torsosketches_male.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  129.7 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    I think one problem with my work at the moment is that I'm not setting myself specific goals for what I want to be learning, and I'm also not drawing regularly enough. With that in mind with the start of the new year I'm planning on setting myself a specific weekly challenge to improve my artwork. Obviously a week isn't long so I don't expect to see massive improvements but I plan to spend about a month on one subject area eg. environments, with a different related task each week.

Week 1- (Jan 13th-19th)

Goal: Improve landscape paintings

Task 1: Produce several color studies of different landscapes
    Task 2: Produce color studies of old master landscapes
    Task 3: Produce three detailed master copies of landscapes
    Task 4: Apply knowledge gained to a full landscape painting from imagination.

Update 1:

To begin with here are some color studies from photo reference, at the moment I feel my understanding of color is really lacking so that's something I definitely want to improve upon.

Name:  env_colourstudies1.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  283.2 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Update 2:

Squeezed these in between work. Colour studies of master paintings by Turner and Arthur Parton. Next some more photo colour studies and then onto detailed master copies. Trying to focus on colour rather than detail so used a big blocky brush.

Name:  env_colourstudies2.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  194.1 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Yeah! Good job with the goal-setting, having specific stuff scheduled helps a lot. Those colour studies are good, though I think in a couple of cases the shape of the brush you're using is hurting more than helping. =)

Thanks
    You're putting out some really great studies, dont try to rush into final pieces because you can be working on something for hours that has the wrong anatomy but you wont see it yet, you could be using that time to understand anatomy and save yourself hours of correction time in the future. Remember no matter how much you render a character or anything else it wont get any better if the anatomy isn't correct. Check out Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist if you can and take a lot of notes, it'll help you out a lot. Otherwise, you have a really great eye for colour!

Thanks
    @Revidescent: Thanks! Yeah I think I'll probably stick with the hard round brush from now on! Trying to stay on track with my schedule, need to be more organized.

@JackGriffin: Thanks for the crit, anatomy is definitely something I need to work on, I find it really hard to apply the knowledge gained from anatomy studies to my finished pieces but I think I just need to study more. I'll definitely check out that book, it's one I've been meaning to get for quite some time, that and Bridgeman's Guide to life drawing. I'm trying to learn a bit about environment painting at the moment, as it's a subject I know very little about, but when I return to studying people I'll definitely take your excellent advice! Thanks!

Update 3: After several days of pointless procrastination I finally started my first master copy, laid down some very rough linework to get a sense of proportion. Finding it really hard to get motivated at the moment for some reason. I've watched a few artists' (Noah Bradley, Feng Zhu etc.) processes for painting environments so I'm basically just going to try painting it and see what happens. Here's what I have so far, the original painting is by Arthur Parton, not sure what its called.

Name:  env_mastercopy1.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  216.2 KB

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast