C.O.W. #301. Dragon Hatchling with Camouflage - WIPs Thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rob Powell is online now ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 589 Posts
    Follows
    Following

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ROUND #301: Dragon Hatchling with Camouflage

topic:

ROUND#301: Dragon Hatchling with Camouflage

I hope everyone enjoyed the benchmark round! Once I set up the poll we will then vote for the winning entry which will be used for the new mascot for Creature of the Week! So to keep us creature designers/entusiats occupied we will be looking at a brand spanking new topic! Just prior to round 300 we looked into a theme that related to death in some way, so I figured since everything (and by everything I literally mean just about everything, from new management of Cow to practically the website itself) is starting to be renewed, we will focus on something that relates to the opposite, being birth!

This species of dragon doesn't raise it's young like how most other dragons are usually depicted, but instead will abandon it's eggs once laid. After Hatching the young are ready to take on the new world fully independent and capable of hunting or foraging, of course such a world is very dangerous for any newborn.. Even a baby dragon needs to show a little extra caution. To give them a fighting chance they are born with some sort of camouflage that lets them blend in with their surroundings to help them avoid predation. This dragon you are designing is literally within a few hours from when it has emerged from it's egg. It can be native to any sort of environment you choose; whether it be in a forest, tundra, deep-sea, an alien planet...so long as it's camouflage corresponds to it's surroundings.

Round Requirements:

-must be draconic
    -this dragon is in the hatchling stage of it's development, but like some reptiles it is quite capable of fending for itself in the wild right after birth
    -its primary defense against predation is an elaborate camouflage of some sort

Deadline:

Wednesday September 18, 11:59:59 PM EST (GMT -4)

Finals go here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...13#post3721813

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Biji is offline Mega Orthadox Super Dragonslayer Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I've been a long time thread stalker, but in the old C.O.W rules it said no amateur art, I believe, So I would like to know, Idont do art professionally and I feel to nooby to participate, Would it be against the rules to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any skill level is allowed to participate, professional or beginner! This is a place for learning so there is no need to worry about how bad you may feel your art may look.
    Originally Fozzybar stated that he wanted as much art as possible to be of a higher caliber, though he never actually prohibited any entries based on someone's skill level, though he has rejected some because their art wasn't up to snuff. He is no longer the mod for COW, I am. I will not reject you from the poll if your work is of a lower level, but if your work is too sloppy and illegible, or rushed, then it will be rejected from the poll. I want people to try to push their work to be more presentable. Remember what you create here can be used for your portfolio, when applying for a job or schooling, but that's up to you. Presentation at times can be more important than how good your work is.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Biji is offline Mega Orthadox Super Dragonslayer Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay!! Guess I'll get sketchin' then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I should probably inquire about this before I get too invested in the concept but, does mimicking another creature count as camouflage? so as an example the way an octopus can mimic a sea lion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by N3rv4 View Post
    I guess I should probably inquire about this before I get too invested in the concept but, does mimicking another creature count as camouflage? so as an example the way an octopus can mimic a sea lion.
    For a little bit I was considering it hanging out with a bunch of bats... But then the same thing that eats dragons would probably have no problem eating bats.

Ultimately, I'd rather go for something that you'd find in the far north.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EllisQU: Try to give the facial anatomy some younger looking proportions; ie a smaller nose and mouth and larger eyes, and perhaps shorter, under developed horns as well...I'd also give it smaller teeth, as a hatchling although it would still be capable of hunting it's teeth are still under developed. For example, you'll notice for baby crocodilians, their teeth are very tiny almost needle like, where as the adults have the bigger stronger teeth.

N3rv4: I'd try to keep it more inclined towards mimicking it's surrounding environment rather than other creatures in the area, as Alkan stated mimicking smaller animals that would most likely be prey items for the same predators sort of defeats the purpose. My initial thoughts were for how crocodile and monitor lizard hatchlings tend to have different colourations from their adults which helps to give them camouflage, and I wanted you guys to try to push that sort of idea to a more extreme level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoo boy, in with a grin!
    Not started sketching just yet but I think I'll look at very small creature camouflage to start with (insects, maybe geckos, frogs, seahorses... gah so many choices!) Thinking about a dragon that starts off very tiny indeed! Looking forward to it, the 18th is already set into my calendar!

Edit : Wait, wait, I got this: crabs baby, crabs ... That sentence did not turn out how i expected.

Well here is my first (ever!) WIP for this project :
    Been looking at camouflaging the little blighter as a cactus, desert dragon time!
    Been wrestling with how to make his legs seem better, any advice'd be appreciated. Trying to make him look younger by giving him big feet and ears like a puppy too.
    Name:  HatchlingWIPtiny.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  215.2 KB

Last edited by Grotski; September 9th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what my design is going to be like yet, but I was playing around with some ideas and searched for reference. I wanted to do some kind of snow or winter dragon, but that idea felt so cliché that I decided to melt the snow a little bit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That answered my question. Thank you for clarifying sir!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just did a study on this eye (image is a blurry pencil sketch that I had to add contrast to due to the image quality), so I'm going to put a lot of focus on some nice looking eyes.

Name:  Crocodile-Eye-HD-605x453.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  3f50bc6d-4c2e-46ac-87dd-821f46232994_zpsc858a6f9.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  199.1 KB

Thinking along the lines of a rocky camouflage:

Name:  black_spinytail.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  100.7 KB

But, in an environment like this:

Name:  1024px-Ogilvie_Mountains_07.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  132.2 KB
    Though, I'm thinking colder in appearance, though perhaps with a few more trees around. I like frozen-north type stuff, so I'm definitely going with that.

Last edited by Alkan; September 10th, 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excited to get started on something, busy wrapping up environment of the week though. I'll definitely have an entry by next week though!

Concept Art | Photography
    http://eidobunny.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arbinn : Can I just say, thank you for introducing me to pangolins. No idea those existed, very cool.

All your posts with environments make me realise I stupidly haven't put any of that into my picture, seems important for a camouflaged animal really. That will be getting a revamp. Looking forward to seeing where this'll all be going!

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grotski View Post
    @Arbinn : Can I just say, thank you for introducing me to pangolins. No idea those existed, very cool.

All your posts with environments make me realise I stupidly haven't put any of that into my picture, seems important for a camouflaged animal really. That will be getting a revamp. Looking forward to seeing where this'll all be going!
    I'm surprised. It's rare that someone shows me an animal that I've not heard of. Then again, that's a good concept artist's job: find obscure lifeforms to draw inspiration from. I feel like I should have known about that one though.

My baby dragon is going to be a bit more like a baby crocodile:

Name:  Crocodile-facts-baby-crocodile.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  104.3 KB

The head will be a bit bigger in comparison to the body, but it will look pretty reptilian, with darker, earthier tones on its body, as reptiles do tend to emerge with normal looking scales, though color can change as they get to adulthood.

Hmmm... Also

Name:  248436918_52c154b28a.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  174.7 KB

And one more thing... I'm scratching my head on presentation, since the animal needs to be hidden, yet, we need the whole animal to be well visible for presentation... I mean, I have a couple ideas, but no solid solutions thus far.

Last edited by Alkan; September 10th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I started with some random dragon designs.

its just one creature this week. I bet I can finish that! :p
    Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  168.3 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few sketches...water, wood, and rock
    Name:  dragon hatchlings.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  203.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First up : apologies for the hideous quality of the image, someone is sleeping in our study (which doubles as the guest room) and i've had to take photos of hand-drawn things. That being said, with a seriously hectic week coming up I'm unlikely to finish (though I may try it with a hand-drawn one) but I'm gonna keep going anyway!

I've backpedaled a bit on my design, taking it to the inspiration and quick-sketches stage in order to get what I hope to be a better or more fleshed-out idea. Here goes :

Inspiration :
    I'm taking my inspiration from a number of places but it boils down to crab spiders mimicking flowers to catch prey and avoid predators. I've stuck with a desert theme cactus flower because I quite like the look and it lends itself to some nice colour schemes.
    Name:  Inspirations.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  123.4 KB

Here are my latest sketches (drawn at work in bic pen and then photographed with my phone, again sorry for the shocking quality, hope you can make out the ideas) I'm leaning towards the top left one (who coils his colourful tail over his body to mimic the cactus flower) but any thoughts'd be great.
    Name:  AwfulSketch.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  43.2 KB

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkan View Post
    And one more thing... I'm scratching my head on presentation, since the animal needs to be hidden, yet, we need the whole animal to be well visible for presentation... I mean, I have a couple ideas, but no solid solutions thus far.
    wondering the same thing. I was thinking of doing one//several more technical drawings of the creature, and then one final illustration of it camouflaged in action.

here's my next step. I guess its a pastiche?

Name:  cow301dragons2.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  75.9 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grotski I only found pangolins recently myself and instantly downloaded several of them to my reference folder. They are awesome!

I think 2 is the best Rob.

I've been feeling dull after the last round and didn't get any good designs going... I played around with few poses though. I tried some quick colors on the last one as well. I'm happy with the composition and pose now, but the design needs more work.

EDIT. Now that I took a second look, the middle left one has better flow to it than the one I tried colors on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cannonball Flower Dragon

Name:  cannonballflowerdragon.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  248.7 KB
    Name:  cannonball dragon.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  175.0 KB
    I decided that I wanted to do a dragon based on the cannonball tree in South America. I liked the idea of a dragon that lays low and eats bugs until its big enough to hunt real prey.

Critique is highly appreciated. Rip it to shreds!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arbinn
    You might get a better flow off the middle left one (I'm taking your word for that, bit too newbie to comment there) but i feel like you'll be able to show off more of the dragon's colour/camo/expressiveness in the one you did end up choosing. Also, I was kinda hoping you'd work in some of that translucent pinkness from the baby bird and the pangolins, it seemed like a really strong concept.

@Inksmith
    Love the flower camo! (hell I'm doing something similar ) Though at the moment the eyes look a little out of place (that may just be because they're rendered more than the rest however) I also think you'd want to have the final image with the mouth open as, by your little preview sketch, that looks like it'd be totally badass.

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arbinn
    +1 on the pinkness would be a sweet effect to see, really digging it so far and the alternatice designs too.

thinking about a mantis, potoo bird cross, camo as a plant like http://i.imgur.com/7kiQIU0.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  BadScan2.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  39.2 KB

Some WIPs for the head, yep, still terrible image quality.
    So far I prefer the top right one though I think I may enlarge the eyes a bit to make it younger-looking.

Damn. Colour is hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grotski: love the lower right one.. but then that's sort of what I was trying
    for too :p

rainbow hatchling, disguises as rainbow in a waterfall to fool insects. camouflaged from above against predators.
    Name:  rainbow.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  142.3 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

planning to add mucus and membrane, and more leaf esqe scales

Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 637 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WIP! Nice topic. And good luck to our new activity leader!

Camouflaged to look like thorny shrubs/plants. Might redo the entire head. Also should have worked out the design of the scales earlier. Lesson learned :|

Name:  thornedhatchlingWIP1.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  152.0 KB

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just seen this, and instantly thought of this topic. Hope it loads ok.

http://sciencefriday.com/video/08/05...e-octopus.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    WIP! Nice topic. And good luck to our new activity leader!

Camouflaged to look like thorny shrubs/plants. Might redo the entire head. Also should have worked out the design of the scales earlier. Lesson learned :|
    My thoughts:

Implement a bigger head to body ratio and a bigger eye to head ratio. It looks like a tiny species of dragon, not a baby dragon.

Oh, and for anyone who might be interested, this gliding lizard exists:

Name:  Draco_volans.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  46.4 KB

Last edited by Alkan; September 12th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying something a little different before committing.

Name:  dragonfisher.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  115.6 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    looking good guys.
    I really liked the thread and had a little time so I tried something out. This is my first contribution to COW.
    I see dragons as Dinosaurs with wings. So I made a baby winged T-Rex.

It's Smaug's hatchling so he's born in a nest of gold and gems. I will add more of those on the cave and bones, items, etc...

Name:  baby dragon by artanas 75dp.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  199.7 KB
    Name:  wip dragon by artanas 100dpi.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  323.2 KB

Last edited by Artanas; September 13th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1