Anyone is a member of New Masters Academy?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone is a member of New Masters Academy?

Heard about this site recently: http://www.newmastersacademy.org/

I would like to know if anyone here is a member. Because at $19 / month, it's so cheap! But more shockingly, they say there's instructor feedback???
    I mean, the folks there include Vilppu and Steve Houston!!! We get crits from these legends at only $19 a month? They say "If something is too good to be true, maybe it is".

I can sign up for the 7 day trial, but would like to hear reviews and feedback from anyone who joined there.
    If it's true, heck, I don't mind paying $50 a month, considering these guys charge hundreds of dollars per session elsewhere!

Tks!
    Xeon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a member. Its a great site really.

Vilppus videos are Amazing as usual. There are alot of videos of him doing drawings, showing the procedure etc. The longest is a bit over an hour, i Believe. Vilppu also have a series of anatomy videos,they are good but not as good as the anatomy dvds from vilppustore. Vilppu even have a portrait painting demonstration on there! I Believe i read somewhere that master copies done by Glen will be available as well.

Steve Huston is an Amazing artist and human. His videos are, to me atleast, the best on the site. Painting demonstrations of features, color lectures, value lectures, drawing lectures. He works from the masters alot. He talks about concepts such as "box logic" and "different tone different plane", its all very clear and easy to understand.

There are bunch of other instructors such as Danny Galioete. Most of his videos are drawing demos, at least for now. Hes great. Joe Weatherly got a bunch of animal anatomy videos, they are a bit unstructured and maybe not Amazing but decent anyways.

The only critique from me would be that its a bit unstructured at times.

Its probably important to mention that whats available right now is only a fraction of what will be available in the future.

Im sure i have forgotten to mention alot of other great things about NMA. If you have any additional questions, just ask.

Forgot to talk about the instructor feedback. Im not sure about this one, for now i dont think there is any "feedback section" or such. Maybe it will be implemented in the future. I do know that some instructors answer the comments on their videos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Disegnia View Post
    Forgot to talk about the instructor feedback. Im not sure about this one, for now i dont think there is any "feedback section" or such. Maybe it will be implemented in the future. I do know that some instructors answer the comments on their videos.
    The site claims "Get personalized feedback from instructors and peers". If that is not true, this deal is smelly, at best...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If thats what they say im sure it is possible to get feedback. I mostly Watch the videos. Maybe you can ask them on their Facebook page?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are several such online classes - New Masters Academy, Classical Art Online, Drawing Tutorials Online, Creative Triggers......

I can't tell about the content and the value since I'm no member of any of these.

But what I can say is that everything you need to know about how to [whatever] is available freely in the web (no I don't mean copyrighted material).

No matter how much money you spend or what the instructor's name is ..... in the end it is you who has to make the exercises, it is you who has to take a very close look at your work and it is you who has to take the next step each time.

BTW Xeon: just visited your blog and I must say you have improved soooo much. Your tenacity pays off!!

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bjoern and Disegnia! Actually, yeah, most of these stuff are available on the web for free etc, and add to that, I'm also a paid member of Stan Prokopenko's new site (proko.com).
    I'm thinking of joining NMA purely for the instructor feedback and not videos LOL It's so hard to get proper feedback from guys who really know their stuff. I do get feedback from peers now and then but they can't really tell you what's wrong, what to improve etc, cos' they're kinda shaky in their foundations as well LOL. Now, if it's any of those instructors at NMA, then it's different LOL.

Will try to ask about the feedback thing on their facebook. Tks!

@ Bjoern: Funny, but I haven't seen any improvement in my art since 2 years ago and am stuck at this stage LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been a member of New Masters Academy since beta and hopefully I can shed some light with my New Masters Academy review...

It's amazing! The best art resource on the internet. The site has grown a lot since this original post. There is a ton of new content and the technology that powers the website has been improved constantly. Now the price is $29/month and I read somewhere that the videos are up to over 400 hours. The instructors themselves are all top artists. My favorites are Steve Huston (legendary), Juliette Aristides, and Glenn Vilppu. I have recommended this to my friends and colleagues and so far everything has been thrilled.

There really aren't better people to learn art from anywhere. All this for a fraction of the price of workshops/art schools (I should know having spent 10's of thousands of dollars on my own education).

The 3D content is really cool too (I bought an annual pass with access to the 3D). There's great anatomical reference as well as scans of sculptures and real people. You can move the figure and move lights around with your cursor all in your internet window.

I don't normally geek out about products or services but this is one exception. I think that every artist should have a New Masters Academy subscription as a resource. For how much they charge it's really not a hard choice to make.

Anyway, I'm available to answer any questions.

As for the "instructor feedback" this is offered. Each video page has a comment thread. You can ask questions and the instructors respond regularly. As cool as this is, it isn't real draw for me. The sheer amount and quality of content is why I stay subscribed.

Members who have read this thread: 38