Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1429
    Thanks
    Can someone explain what I'm supposed to take away from "gesture drawing"? I've been trying to look for a solid answer but so far I've come up empty-handed. I'm trying to learn how to draw characters and poses but gesture drawing has not helped. In fact, sometimes it's pretty frustrating to try to see form in the poses when they're in impossibly foreshortened angles.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Also trying to get the hang of gesture! will try posting every now and then! This are 4-6 minutes poses! I'm just starting and the 2 minute and 1 minutes poses make me very annoyed cause i can barely figure it out the shapes! I'm starting to see the value on 1-2 minutes though forces you think quickly capture the shapes very fast but everything else go to shit my proportion go to hell! Would appreciate some insight on this! the quicker the pose more it feels I'm drawing from my head so it becomes a trick thing! so atm i'm doing 5 minutes! will try to drop as time goes one!
    Name:  gesture 01.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  131.2 KB

Thanks
    Name:  qwe.jpg
Views: 4337
Size:  140.4 KB

~30-40 min for one, pen and markers
    Still have problems actually with everything so practise, practise practise!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 931 Posts
    Can someone explain what I'm supposed to take away from "gesture drawing"? I've been trying to look for a solid answer but so far I've come up empty-handed. I'm trying to learn how to draw characters and poses but gesture drawing has not helped. In fact, sometimes it's pretty frustrating to try to see form in the poses when they're in impossibly foreshortened angles.

The purpose of gesture drawing is to analyze and understand how the body functions to perform various actions. This understanding will enable you to invent believable poses from imagination. I've been at the place of frustration too. If you're not getting the necessary information to pose your own characters then you most likely need a more effective approach for gesture drawing. If you post some drawings here I'll be able to help.

Thanks
    Also trying to get the hang of gesture! will try posting every now and then! This are 4-6 minutes poses! I'm just starting and the 2 minute and 1 minutes poses make me very annoyed cause i can barely figure it out the shapes! I'm starting to see the value on 1-2 minutes though forces you think quickly capture the shapes very fast but everything else go to shit my proportion go to hell! Would appreciate some insight on this! the quicker the pose more it feels I'm drawing from my head so it becomes a trick thing! so atm i'm doing 5 minutes! will try to drop as time goes one!

I hope this helps
    Name:  gesture 01_feedback.jpg
Views: 4281
Size:  181.5 KB

Thanks
    Here is my first attempt using drawing tablet. Need to sort out my lay out !
    100%x
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Okay so this first image is of my two minute gestures. They have been resized and the color deepened for better viewing.

Name:  gestures all.png
Views: 3165
Size:  383.3 KB

You see the two that say redrawn? I struggled with those poses so I spent more time on them.
    Name:  try 1.png
Views: 3167
Size:  247.8 KBName:  try 2.png
Views: 3143
Size:  106.2 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecod View Post
    There is so much you can get from gesture drawing. First, find the time level that is right for you right now. I wish I could do a gesture in 30 seconds, but I'm not there yet. It took me awhile to be able to get a full picture finished in two minutes. I still fail sometimes.... See my post with my gestures.... but my speed is increasing. I am getting better at recognizing form. At first when I started off my proportions would get way off. I still have a problem with that but there has been noticeable improvement thanks to the practice. My flow and the dynamicness of the gestures has gotten a lot better. Since I am not going for realistic likeness, but trying to capture the essence of the pose sometimes my gestures look a little cartoony, or an arm is depicted as a giant cone (once again, see my gestures). I kind of dig it though. I am really rough and messy now, so I try to use less lines. I believe the more I practice gesturing the better I will get at this.

Then there is the speed! When I become comfortable enough at the two minute mark I will switch to 30 seconds. And it will be TERRIBLE at first. I will fail so much! but I'll get faster. I won't be able to focus on the details as much just the most basic shape. that means that when I go back and practice the two minute ones I will finish with the base form quicker and be able to focus more on things like how the knee looks, the triangle under the arm that connects to the torso. All those little details that great artists have in their pics, that really bring it alive. I am already doing that when I finish a pose with time to spare. Or I focus on the shading.

If you get a picture you don't think would be helpful to learn or is too hard to draw in the time you set, you can skip it. Or you can try to draw it... and then later when you are finished with the set, go back and redraw those difficult poses while taking your time, like I did.

If you are really struggling, maybe try giving yourself extra time.
    Last edited by DisruptedMatrix; January 4th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DisruptedMatrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehecod View Post
    I firmly believe that gesture is advanced material, which comes after one has a firm command of the human form. So, it is very well possible you are not ready yet...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gesture is the essence or abstraction of the pose, which holds everything else together: anatomy, form, proportions, etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to onemax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I firmly believe that gesture is advanced material, which comes after one has a firm command of the human form. So, it is very well possible you are not ready yet...
    Nah, they are way more advanced than me, but I'm improving a lot with gesture.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aallen View Post
    Here's a few 1 minute gestures I've done:

I also decided to do a session of random poses with increasing time spent on them:
    1 minute sketches:

How are my proportions for my sketches? How well is the value portrayed in the two paintings? Any critiques on these drawings is much appreciated!
    I really like your one minute sketches, that's great! As for proportions... this isn't your fault, but it looks like in the picture of the redhead with the long pale limbs, that her arm was actually photoshopped abnormally long. So it looks long in your pic too.

Thanks
    Hi, all drawings are around 30-60 seconds, im struggilng with with adding depth and making gestures feel 3d and habing depth, c&c welcome
    Name:  gesture1.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  267.3 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cptliberalism For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wowww......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cptliberalism View Post
    Hi, all drawings are around 30-60 seconds, im struggilng with with adding depth and making gestures feel 3d and habing depth, c&c welcome
    excellent!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cptliberalism View Post
    I think that 3d feeling and depth are not that important. It's more to get the feeling for the swing and I think that's what you got. very impressive!

Thanks
    I hope this helps
    Hey dude! Appreciate a lot your advice man! Thanks for taking the time!! I do want learn this but it's being a while since I'm trying to do this and my progress oh god, I don't know, not really sure if this is coming together or not. Like I watched some classes (steve huston, villpu, charles hu) and sometimes I can see them doing one stroke and it all comes together I do mines feels like its all broke! this past month was pretty rough! I was feeling really bad about drawing. Sometimes I draw something it comes out ok! then you go for a second pose and disaster strikes! nothing comes together, i got so pissed that I dropped drawing for a couple weeks! atm frustration levels are pretty high! But I'll see if can commit to post more often, maybe sharing and talking about it might help! Thanks again! for the help! Btw it's amazing how many lines you do and and how much energy your drawings have!
    Name:  gesture.jpg
Views: 3486
Size:  333.1 KB
    Last edited by citrosalt; January 22nd, 2018 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Hey dude! Appreciate a lot your advice man! Thanks for taking the time!! I do want learn this but it's being a while since I'm trying to do this and my progress oh god, I don't know, not really sure if this is coming together or not. Like I watched some classes (steve huston, villpu, charles hu) and sometimes I can see them doing one stroke and it all comes together I do mines feels like its all broke! this past month was pretty rough! I was feeling really bad about drawing. Sometimes I draw something it comes out ok! then you go for a second pose and disaster strikes! nothing comes together, i got so pissed that I dropped drawing for a couple weeks! atm frustration levels are pretty high! But I'll see if can commit to post more often, maybe sharing and talking about it might help! Thanks again! for the help! Btw it's amazing how many lines you do and and how much energyThe Official Quickposes Thread your drawings have!
    I understand your frustration citrosalt. You should keep in mind that improving at gesture drawing starts with acquiring the right knowledge. You won't improve much by just doing a lot of gesture drawings everyday. That's just one part of it. If you keep thinking the same way you'll keep getting the same results. When you see guys like Vilppu or Steve Houston drawing, there's a lot of knowledge and practice behind every stroke. So you should seek to become more knowledgeable about how the human body is designed and functions to perform actions.

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned while studying with Mike Mattesi is to let go of the pressure of making perfect or beautiful looking drawings. Instead I learned to focus on communicating the ideas and the experience that I have when observing the figure. Let the drawing be about your curiosity to analyze and learn about the figure. A good looking drawing is a byproduct of you communicating your experience and ideas using the fundamentals that you've learned (perspective, anatomy, rhythms, shape design etc.). If you make mistakes you can always correct them. You just need the right knowledge to do so.

Name:  gesture_feedback.jpg
Views: 3463
Size:  165.1 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I understand your frustration citrosalt. You should keep in mind that improving at gesture drawing starts with acquiring the right knowledge. You won't improve much by just doing a lot of gesture drawings everyday. That's just one part of it. If you keep thinking the same way you'll keep getting the same results. When you see guys like Vilppu or Steve Houston drawing, there's a lot of knowledge and practice behind every stroke. So you should seek to become more knowledgeable about how the human body is designed and functions to perform actions.

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned while studying with Mike Mattesi is to let go of the pressure of making perfect or beautiful looking drawings. Instead I learned to focus on communicating the ideas and the experience that I have when observing the figure. Let the drawing be about your curiosity to analyze and learn about the figure. A good looking drawing is a byproduct of you communicating your experience and ideas using the fundamentals that you've learned (perspective, anatomy, rhythms, shape design etc.). If you make mistakes you can always correct them. You just need the right knowledge to do so.
    \

Hey Man thanks a lot! I can totally see this, it's being a fun journey but as you said even the slightest change of mindset can screw everything! it took me a while to understand what the gestural line was, now I can see it but need to develop a mindset and skills to put in practice while using the idea of weight, and a bit of anatomy! Like for example anatomy I got the the grasp of the basics like the proportions of how things bend where they should be, I dont know all the muscles but I wish I would a better grasp on how to simplify things. I'm really interested in this idea of the rhythm that's is being mentioned, but I get the idea but the application still feels a bit abstract! I googled the guy you mentioned! I'll order his book this week! and will sign on his website see if I can get some insights that will help me out!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to citrosalt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    First Session, after reading drawing force!! It's taking sometime to understand the whole rhythm thing! But I'm really glad to see and understand what it means, it's making me see images in a new way!! Still struggle to find some rhythms like for example the arms as sometimes they seem very symmetrical! Need to try clear up the lines and practice more and hopefully I'll see how things all get connected! How long you guys practice gesture drawing a day and how you guys balance gesture/anatomy practice!?
    Name:  poses.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  305.3 KB

Thanks
    First Session, after reading drawing force!! It's taking sometime to understand the whole rhythm thing! But I'm really glad to see and understand what it means, it's making me see images in a new way!! Still struggle to find some rhythms like for example the arms as sometimes they seem very symmetrical! Need to try clear up the lines and practice more and hopefully I'll see how things all get connected! How long you guys practice gesture drawing a day and how you guys balance gesture/anatomy practice!?
    And indeed, it takes time to learn to feel the flow of energy through a pose and see its rhythms. If you're looking at the figure in a new way that's a really good signal!

As for gesture drawing, I practice it for a minimum of one hour every day. For anatomy, I'm always using it when drawing the figure so it's a constant practice. If I have doubts I just grab some reference. Just make sure you know the avarage proportions of the figure and the major muscles, where they attach to the skeleton and what their function is.

Thanks
    And indeed, it takes time to learn to feel the flow of energy through a pose and see its rhythms. If you're looking at the figure in a new way that's a really good signal!
    As for gesture drawing, I practice it for a minimum of one hour every day. For anatomy, I'm always using it when drawing the figure so it's a constant practice. If I have doubts I just grab some reference. Just make sure you know the avarage proportions of the figure and the major muscles, where they attach to the skeleton and what their function is.

Thanks a lot dude! Pretty sure this will be very helpful, it makes all connect it up!!Before I was drawing bit by bit blocking out the shapes one by one! But this is way easier to remember the poses or anatomy like there's a flow to the process! I'll try to keep sharing the results!

Thanks
    Before I was drawing bit by bit blocking out the shapes one by one! But this is way easier to remember the poses or anatomy like there's a flow to the process!
    Exactly!

Name:  FORCE demos 33.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  270.8 KB

Thanks
    Nice work dude! Do you have some sort of a collection where you keep all your sketches? I for myself still have struggles with moving figures, how to draw their muscles, where they bend,... etc.
    Nevertheless, just recently put my sketches together in one flipbook like: https://fineartdoc.net/big-3-publish...es-like-issuu/ so that I can clearly see the development of my sketches. It did help me a lot especially when I made a series of moving bodies, so I was able to see how the moves changed from one page to the other and how well they did fit together/ where it started to look unnatural.

Thanks
    Nice work dude! Do you have some sort of a collection where you keep all your sketches? I for myself still have struggles with moving figures, how to draw their muscles, where they bend,... etc.
    Nevertheless, just recently put my sketches together in one flipbook like: https://fineartdoc.net/big-3-publish...es-like-issuu/ so that I can clearly see the development of my sketches. It did help me a lot especially when I made a series of moving bodies, so I was able to see how the moves changed from one page to the other and how well they did fit together/ where it started to look unnatural.
    Thanks chriswhite! Yes, I have an eBook of 350 pages of gesture drawings on my website.

Thanks
    Cool, what is your website? Would love to have a look at it and get some inspiration!

Thanks
    Cool, what is your website? Would love to have a look at it and get some inspiration!
    Here you go
    http://www.swendly.com/gesture-drawi...strations.html

Thanks
    Thanks! You got a great website here!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to chriswhite125 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    HI everyone ! First time posting here ! Here's today sketches from quickposes.com, all of them were done in 1min, it was hard to finish them. I have to work more on volumes ! Very inspiring to see everybody's works !
    Name:  QuickPoses01-01.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  78.8 KBName:  QuickPoses01-02.jpg
Views: 1926
Size:  89.2 KBName:  QuickPoses01-03.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  79.0 KB

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy.A For This Useful Post:

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast