Sketchbook: Lydia's Quest for Artistic Competency!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lydia's Quest for Artistic Competency!

Hello! I'm Lydia, 18, and going to college to be a teacher. I've been drawing since I could hold a pencil, but only semi-seriously for about two years now. I've never taken an art class, so my fundamentals are probably really poor. I do hope to make it into the professional art field some day, but I don't know how feasible that is.

I've been trolling the sketchbooks and other threads here on CA for a while now, but I've never made a post! Now I'm going to change that. I have seen some amazing critiques and improvement in others' sketchbooks, and I'd love to see the same in my own art!

Right now, I'm hoping to improve:
    1. Anatomy
    2. Expression and emotions through body language
    3. Colors and values

Also, there maybe be periodic artistic nudity. Justsoyouknow.

And can anyone tell me how to add an icon to a post?

Newer image for Icon

Name:  CA_Icon3b.png
Views: 134
Size:  195.7 KB

Last edited by Lydiamay; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Welcome to CA. And bring in the art.

And to add an icon go to Attachments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her are some of my drawings from the last year or so, to give you an idea of my current skill level. All of these were done digitally with a tablet.

Some lineless, more realistic attempts:

Name:  beauty_lies_within_the_eyes_by_lydiamay-d5ngukw.png
Views: 1083
Size:  245.5 KB Name:  details_by_lydiamay-d5ngxw7.png
Views: 1085
Size:  316.2 KB
    Name:  the_last_morning_by_lydiamay-d5nvchr.png
Views: 1201
Size:  178.3 KB Name:  district_12_speedpaint_by_lydiamay-d5noazj.png
Views: 1088
Size:  311.1 KB
    Name:  maiden_by_lydiamay-d5zqhg9.png
Views: 1200
Size:  252.6 KB Name:  a_little_something_by_lydiamay-d6hwkws.png
Views: 1061
Size:  226.7 KB
    Name:  mega_dump_by_lydiamay-d67g0u8.png
Views: 1093
Size:  1.24 MB

And here is a self-portrait I did as practice. It was done using a mirror in two sittings, late at night.

Name:  self_portrait_by_lydiamay-d5uhpmx.png
Views: 1179
Size:  168.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cojac: Thank you!

Here are some more of my works from the last year or so. These are in my more cartoon-y, disney-ish style. This is how most of my sketches and lined works look.

Name:  anatomy_sketches_2_by_lydiamay-d59oee6.png
Views: 1181
Size:  52.8 KB Name:  anatomy_sketches_1_by_lydiamay-d59oe4h.png
Views: 1053
Size:  67.8 KB
    Name:  william_for_jackofalltrades0097_by_lydiamay-d6gxdsx.png
Views: 1015
Size:  229.3 KB Name:  helen_sketches__again_____by_lydiamay-d6ght4e.png
Views: 1069
Size:  287.5 KB
    Name:  speedeh_trade_by_lydiamay-d60015d.png
Views: 1008
Size:  291.5 KB Name:  helen_again_by_lydiamay-d5zvscm.png
Views: 1015
Size:  317.3 KB Name:  helena_rosa_by_lydiamay-d5qkm3a.png
Views: 1000
Size:  231.8 KB
    Name:  new_dress_by_lydiamay-d68wkjw.png
Views: 1010
Size:  167.8 KB Name:  mad_hatter_costume_by_lydiamay-d5id7xd.png
Views: 1017
Size:  191.3 KB Name:  marie_by_lydiamay-d6j1rmc.png
Views: 995
Size:  176.7 KB
    Name:  character_by_lydiamay-d67kerf.png
Views: 993
Size:  169.3 KB Name:  helen___by_lydiamay-d67pnju.png
Views: 990
Size:  116.9 KB
    Name:  hg_character_development_by_lydiamay-d6izv1l.png
Views: 995
Size:  424.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lydiamay, great work.

I feel something about the eyes. In some of the portraits they are too big and too close. But I like you choice of colors and the smooth touch of the brush. My favorite piece is that one with eyes closed. The face is gorgeous. You have talent. Keep posting here.

When I post something in your Sketchbook please return the favor visiting my Sketchbook also and tell me what you feel about my art. The link to My Sketchbook is in my signature. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cojac: I definitely agree, my eyes can get too big. And thanks!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

So, here are some quick doodles I made today while doing school work. They were all sketched in pen, so they're not super neat. I tried to use my own dogs as reference for the dog drawings, but they wouldn't sit still. So they're mostly sketched from memory. Then there was a picture of an owl in one of my textbooks, and they sort of took over!

Name:  doodles_by_lydiamay-d6kxuuo.png
Views: 1131
Size:  944.1 KB

And then, these are all from the last couple of weeks. I don't think I used any refs (minus my own hand for the hands), and the purple ones were all sketched in pen too.

Need to keep practicing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome paintings, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies from yesterday and today, based on photos I found on http://www.hel-looks.com/ . Not much, but I've been busy with school.

Name:  studies0905.png
Views: 1085
Size:  367.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to give a shot at drawing a couple page comic, we'll see how it goes. Right now I'm only part-way through the sketching of the pages. If you notice any perspective or composition/layout things with this that could be improved, please let me know! I'm posting it here in the hopes that I can get some good advice. This is the first comic-ish thing I've done in years. I'll hopefully keep posting as I go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much this time, super busy with school. I was trying to do another self portrait, but this is as far as I got. For some reason, photoshop has decided it is going to crash every time I open its file. ):

Name:  SP090113.png
Views: 931
Size:  241.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! In my thread, you commented that your colors were weak, but I actually love the handle you have over yours. I would suggest that the values could be pushed more, but at the same time, I LOVE the soft quality you have to them I think you have a style going on. You're an inspiration to me to keep up with art, although schooling won't allow for doing it as more than a hobby for now. You're so talented for being so young, as well. Your sketches are full of energy and personality. Keep up the great work!

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Emerson
    - deviantart - sketchbook -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking the female portraits, you seem to fall in the trap of drawing the same type face tho, its muscle memory me thinks, i like
    your rendering and color, for years and even now me struggles with me colors lol not sure why, probably not enough practise still lifes
    anyhow, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook I appreciate the comment, also your drawings are great and paintings to post more!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! You have some really great work in here so far. I really love the mood in your color works. They feel very rich and comforting but with a touch of delicate melancholy.

I'm going to echo magicnmyth a bit here and say that your colors are very nice, but your values are lacking. It's possible that's actually the problem you're seeing with your color because you just can't get the right range of color if the values are off. The key problem is that you're only using a small section of the value range, specifically the lower half. The result of this is that your colors feel very saturated (because more saturation is possible in the middle of the value range than at the top or bottom), which is nice, but your images feel a bit flat and the subjects are blending into their surroundings. Consider making the subject a different average value than the background (ie a light figure on dark background, dark figure on light background, light figure surrounded by dark foreground shape against medium background, etc). You could also handle more form shadows to make the objects feel rounded.

Also consider whether the edges of your objects should be soft or hard, depending on the material, if the plane is rounded, how close it is the viewer, and how it's lit. In particular I see that you tend to make the jaw or edge of the face very hard which flattens the form and makes it feel more like a flat plane (like a piece of paper) than a rounded plane curving away from us in space (like a sphere).

I have for you here today not one, not two, but four little paint-overs! Okay the second one I just used auto-levels but I did do some painting on the first and last one. Hope that's helpful!

Name:  Untitled-1.png
Views: 900
Size:  882.4 KB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really love paintings. I can see a lot of potential though, so keep up the practice.
    At this rate you have a very good chance of going pro with your work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all so much for your kind and helpful comments! I'm learning a lot already!

Mr Tokoloshe: Thank you!
    magicnmyth: Thanks you! And yeah, after looking at yours and others' comments about my values, I can definitely see that I need to work on the range of my color values. Geez, you say so many nice things, I don't know what to say! But thank you, and I wish you luck as well!
    Adrian: Yes, I do believe I do have sameface-syndrome. Maybe I'll do some studies to practice some other face shapes and structures. You're welcome, and thank you as well!
    dierat: Wow, that is all very useful, thank you for taking the time to do it! I love how you explain the mood of my drawings too. And I can really see the value problem now. I'm going to remember to turn my paintings to B&W throughout the process to see if the values need to be adjusted. For some reason super dark and super light colors scare me! Also, I notice the jaw thing to on my people, but I'm not quite sure how to draw a proper jaw without that hard line. Still trying to figure that out. Thanks for all this advice! I'm going to try to apply it to the painting I'm working on right now.
    catghost: Thank you! Fingers crossed that with a lot of work I can!

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Okay, so to put to practice all this lovely advice, and my fabrics, I started a new painting! (And thanks to muddy and the google hangout group for the advice!) I've tried making the foreground the darkest point, the background the lightest and the figure at the mid-point, with the main light source coming from the window. I think I have all the composition and perspective things fixed at this point, but if you see anything I've missed, please let me know! I'm trying to decide which of the bottom two color moods I like more... Plus, I feel like I need something hanging in front of the window to break up all those structured lines, like a small curtain or some fotos hanging from a string.

Name:  seppaintingWIP1.png
Views: 880
Size:  617.0 KB
    /Edit: here's another possible color scheme. (I hate this part!)
    Name:  seppaintintWIP2.png
Views: 856
Size:  224.2 KB

Last edited by Lydiamay; September 15th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should do some more developed value versions before getting into your color palette. If the window is the lightest point it may act like a focal point and draw attention away from the figure. If it's a problem, you could dim the window like it's a rainy day outside and have an interior light source illuminating the figure (like an oil lamp, for example). But I think you should figure that out now so you don't have to fix it later if it is a problem.

For the color palette, my advice is to do a bunch of quick variations. Just try stuff out. It's good practice and you might come up with a totally different selection that you like much better. Keep in mind that anomalous points will attract our attention - that is, if the image is mostly purple, small bright green points will jump out at us (like the pillows). Think about how you're going to highlight the focal point and also move our eyes around the image. It's like leaving a trail of visual breadcrumbs for us to eat up.

I agree it could use something over the arch, maybe something hanging in the top left. I'm imagining a kind of string with ornaments hung from it and it attaches to the top of the arch and on the wall to the left off-screen. Just an idea.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like she should be looking out the window. I keep thinking "what is she doing, she's not reading, she's not sleeping, what is she doing?" and I keep looking around the image for clues. If she were looking out the window, it would give her a wistful mood, like she wants to read but her mind keeps drifting to other things.

P.S. Love the fabric so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dierat: I really appreciate all the help you're giving me! I agree with all your points. I'm terrible at values! I'm doing some value practice now before working any more on this painting. Also, I do need to work on my color palettes for painting. I do fine on little portraits and such, but you have to put a lot more planning into bigger paintings. (In other words, I need to work on everything!) Also, ornaments are a good idea. I had also thought of those white christmas lights. As for where she's looking, you might be right. I just find it terribly hard not to draw a face, does that make any sense? And I'm glad you like the fabric! I really want to work on my fabric rendering skills with this one.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

So! Here are some value practices from my imagination! Might paint one or two of these eventually, I really like a couple of them.

Name:  917sketches.png
Views: 835
Size:  181.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely sketchbook! I love your colors in your paintings, so beautiful! I know that cartoon-ish is more of your style, but I think your characters could use a bit more mass and more accurate proportions. You're doing amazing though for never having taken classes before! It would totally benefit you to do nude studies, that's what helped me a lot. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love what you've done nice style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GypsySwan: Thanks! Yeah, I'm working on doing some studies and bringing more realism into my stuff. I've just recently found some good sites for nude studies like that, so I hope to do some soon!
    Laurelineparis: Thank you!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I don't have much (again, thank you school), but here's a quick/really bad attempt at another SP from memory and some 15 min Lefebvre studies.

Name:  sketch920.png
Views: 804
Size:  197.4 KB Name:  studies1.png
Views: 796
Size:  211.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff, I will be back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook! You've definitely got a lot of potential. Your colours are great, but they're all very warm looking and saturated. I realize for some of your stuff this could be a stylistic choice but don't forget to try and add some cooler less saturated colours (especially to shaded areas) to add a bit more depth and contrast, and really make those focal points 'pop'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lydia, beautiful work here! I really like your style. It seems really conducive to soft flowyness. I think in the first posts there is some blockyness in shapes and line that interrupts that and makes it less pleasing. There's a way to use straights to make your curvyness even more pleasing, and I think that once you get that to work as well as the softness does now, that will be awesome. I love the progress on that window piece! So dreamy. And great thumbnails too! More more more!!

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spudonkey: Thank you, that means a lot!
    Vezarez: No, I agree totally! I really need to work on my color variations, especially in skintones. Cooler colors are scary.
    the-muddy: Thanks muddy! I have lots to work on, most definitely. And I agree that my stuff can get a little chunky or too blended together. Got to work on my edges and the flow of my paintings. Thanks, thanks! Here's some more!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

I had some free time this weekend!! So I got to draw for more than ten minutes for the first time this semester! So excited. Okay, first to amend for the atrocious SP in the previous post, and to work on my jaw lines, I drew a portrait from imagination. It's sort of a remake of a portrait from 2011.

Name:  Winter921 copy.png
Views: 779
Size:  372.2 KB

Clouds are fun. So I did some color studies.

Name:  studies922 copy.png
Views: 912
Size:  749.6 KB

And now I'm planning another painting. Want to work on movement in this one! I used this as a reference. I'm still trying to decide what to do with her clothes/dress. Also, I haven't drawn a horse in probably 4 or 5 years. xD

Name:  RiderWIP1.png
Views: 773
Size:  267.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Style is very nice, it looks a bit like modern disney artworks. You should already knew posemaniacs.com ,but if not, its a pretty nice exercise for anatomie
    greets alex

My Sketchbook Critique&Comments are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! Looks like your fixing alot of weak points. Really cool to see, keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alex: Yep, I have posemaniacs on my list of sites to check out. And thanks!
    Joseph: Thank you!
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Ahhh, I've been so busy I haven't hardly had time to draw! I feel so guilty.

But LOOK WHAT I GOT!!

Name:  cintiq_by_lydiamay-d6pl12k.png
Views: 732
Size:  326.2 KB

I am so excited, I can't even begin to tell you! It's my first big purchase as an adult, and I spent the better part of the year weighing the pros and cons. When I finally got the money together, I went for it! I've only used it a couple of times, but I think I'm in love! It's so much easier and more comfortable! If anyone would be interested, I'd be happy to post photos of what it looks like in use?

When I have had free time, I've been busy developing characters for a creative OCT (Original Character Tournament) on dA, so I mostly have a ton of lame concept sketches of them. I have to apply before I know I'm in. It's Hunger Games themed, so the girl, Risa, is selected as a tribute, and each round I have to do something different to keep her alive. First, it's the reaping, the training, and the parade. Then she'll be pitted against other characters and I'll have to use my creative skills to keep her alive! I was fine, until I got attached to her. T-T Now I really don't want her to die. But here are some development sketches of her and another character, Logan.

Name:  sketchdump109.png
Views: 856
Size:  622.4 KB Name:  snowy_eve_by_lydiamay-d6pnvsz.png
Views: 860
Size:  599.6 KB

And her final design:

Name:  hgapp.png
Views: 732
Size:  310.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a beautiful style, I really love the faces you draw. They have a sense of 'homely'.

The painting seems to be improving greatly, so I suggest you keep on praciticng with that and taking in everything that you can to improve. Keep studying that anatomy as well, that will help to loosen up your figures and give them a lifelike quality. Looads of potential, can't wait to see more so keep posting and showcasing your work!

P.S. OMG a cintiq. Please post a photo. I dream of owning one of these +_+

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops. Really long break, sorry! School got really hectic the last couple of months. I've had several 20-40 page final papers to complete, Spanish presentations, and exams to prep for. I'll be done at the end of this week till January, so I promise to post more soon! Until then I have some sketchy stuff to post.

Half-finished painting practice.
    Name:  olivine1.png
Views: 706
Size:  216.6 KB

And some sketches for costume designs for the Hunger Games competition. They're all pretty bad. D: I've never designed costumes before.
    Name:  Risa copy.png
Views: 707
Size:  443.7 KB
    Name:  parade_sketches_by_lydiamay-d6ty283.png
Views: 930
Size:  925.2 KB
    Name:  hgoct_paradesketches2_by_lydiamay-d6vj4ag.png
Views: 795
Size:  1.12 MB

Also, if anyone is interested, I posted some writing on my dA! http://fav.me/d6x5msl I'm developing a story for the blonde girl, Helen, that you'll see frequently in my art.

I'll hopefully be back in a few days!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope everyone had a Happy Holidays and a great New Year! I got some gorgeous art books that I've been reading like crazy.

Name:  ArtBooks1.png
Views: 673
Size:  541.8 KB

Name:  ArtBooks2.png
Views: 657
Size:  474.6 KB

Name:  ArtBooks3.png
Views: 649
Size:  404.6 KB Name:  ArtBooks4.png
Views: 662
Size:  506.9 KB

Name:  ArtBooks5.png
Views: 661
Size:  612.0 KB

Name:  ArtBooks6.png
Views: 663
Size:  391.5 KB Name:  ArtBooks7.png
Views: 656
Size:  453.1 KB

I'm absolutely in love with these books, I've been wanting that Tangled art book for about a year and finally managed to find it.

I've stayed pretty busy over the break, but I've managed to draw a few things! Most of them were in my sketchbook with my new brush pen, but I still haven't figured out how to work the scanner.

Name:  helen_by_lydiamay-d701rbf.png
Views: 774
Size:  283.8 KB Name:  mina_by_lydiamay-d709vgr.png
Views: 766
Size:  232.4 KB

And, I don't know if these ever get posted here on CA, but I thought it'd be fun to do a 2013 Summary of Art Meme. So little improvement. D: I need to make more time for my art next year.

Name:  2013_art_summary_by_lydiamay-d70a5v3.png
Views: 666
Size:  635.9 KB

These are the previous two years, if you're curious. (It's always kind of horrifying to look at old art.) | 2012 || 2011 |

Last edited by Lydiamay; January 2nd, 2014 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 135