Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Is copying others work is legal ?..I found one

    IS copying other wrk legal?and how to protect your wrk?
    Last edited by fmaedal; September 1st, 2013 at 02:39 PM.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Scandinavian - Denmark
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    copy the work of others is wrong no doubt about it. but if it is used for training, I see nothing wrong in using it as an example. The best thing you can do for yourself is to write (copy) on the image you copied, and then write the title of the photo and the original artist name
    That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stranger

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    what if the copied art is published as if his own art ???..copied image is published as the schools forum image and the making video was also released along with it ...and the original image can be found in jamie jones gallery ...

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 164 Times in 106 Posts
    Then it's illegal, unless it's used with Jaime's permission or he himself is a co-author..
    Who is that teacher? Source link?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    will it put me in any danger position if i announce the school or artists name here?......
    Last edited by fmaedal; September 1st, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 164 Times in 106 Posts
    I don't see a reason why it should. It's on Internet, therefore millions of people could do it anytime. But don't listen to me, I don't know a thing about legal matters.

    Just put a link on the stolen image, I'd like to see it whole

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    any cheap way to copyright ur images?
    Last edited by fmaedal; September 1st, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I just want to know whether this is accepted ????taking a part of design from other art and use it in yours?..CAN PPL DO IT?

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,504
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    All original images are automatically copyrighted by the artist. You can register them with the copyright office to help better protect yourself but copyright law states the rights to any original work of art reside with the creator. Notice it only applies to original work created by you and not copied work.

    Its slimy, lazy and wrong to steal other people work. You can't use other peoples work to make money off of. You can't claim other peoples work as your own. You can copy anything you like for practice, you just can't profit from it directly as in selling it making prints or videos or anything that puts money directly in your pocket.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    3,426
    Thanks
    2,994
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    The only way you can lose your copyright is if you sign them over in a contract.
    Plagiarism in visual art is very easy to prove. But unfortunately your ideas and concepts are up for grabs. Just because you drew a ninja with a mohawk does not mean you own the rights to the idea of a ninja with a mohawk.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    256
    Thanked 967 Times in 579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fmaedal View Post
    what if the copied art is published as if his own art ???..copied image is published as the schools forum image and the making video was also released along with it ...and the original image can be found in jamie jones gallery ...
    Come on, out with it, which school/image are we talking about? You got me interested. Doesn't sound like anything a respectable school would do.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 164 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Come on, out with it, which school/image are we talking about? You got me interested. Doesn't sound like anything a respectable school would do.
    Animation and Art School Goa: http://www.aanda.co.in/Image_Gallery.aspx

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 31 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword95 View Post
    Animation and Art School Goa: http://www.aanda.co.in/Image_Gallery.aspx
    So which image are we talking about?
    Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

  16. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 164 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Tragedy- View Post
    So which image are we talking about?
    First one.
    Here is the original concept (third row from below) http://www.artpad.org/gallery/2005-2007/

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    India,Bangalore
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword95 View Post
    First one.
    Here is the original concept (third row from below) http://www.artpad.org/gallery/2005-2007/
    I don't agree that's copied.
    Must be a coincidence if you think it is.
    I've seen them making that concept art from scratch and they even made a video based on it.
    They're really good with Creature Design and Concept Art. And among all Indian Art Schools, they're the best. (Done my homework on that)
    Plus the artists there who teach, one of them was part of the judge panel in CTNX and went to San Francisco too.(He's friends with Will Terrell too!) There's a video on that on their site: http://www.aanda.co.in

    Here's the video below showing the Concept Art's making:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpem5x_luzQ

    If you have any shred of doubt you can ask them directly. They're not people who steal and sell like most tracers or copiers who disgrace the art world with their miserable acts.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midgard
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 164 Times in 106 Posts
    Great video, thanks!
    I don't care who copied who, it's all the same to me. Although there are too many identical details to be a coincidence. Outline of the head, rows of teeth, placement of the eye and a scale beneath it. Looks like Jaime got inspired by that painting and (over)painted a sketch based on it.

    PS: Original painting is done by Aditya Chari and Shiraj Mulla; if anyone want to know.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,504
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Jaime's work is from 2007 and that Indian site is from 2012, yeah they ripped him off and no its not okay to advertise it as their own.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pyrenees, France
    Posts
    1,462
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 626 Times in 451 Posts
    As usual, there's a difference between what is morally right and what is legally right - I don't think there's any legal play in this for Jaime unfortunately.

    I was expecting to see a straight up lift - i.e. they used the original image claiming it to be theirs, but it's not so clear cut. It looks to me like they based their head off what jaime did because the rest of the body is pretty poor and the anatomy is off. So yes it would have been courtesy to credit Jaime. However that's from the perspective of an artist making a judgement about what's going on with the rest of their painting... The fact is that they've changed enough things - they've painted a body, slightly different head frills, it's in a setting etc... so legally, I doubt they'd get into any kind of trouble. It's an easy case for them to argue that they came up with it themselves - vs Jaime or anyone else trying to prove that they copied it. It's a bit like sampling music or using code - it all gets a bit subjective with percentages, timings and in this case 'features' used.

    Also giving the benefit of the doubt - sometimes things just stick in your mind. There IS the possibility of coincidence... Jaime is an excellent artist but everyone draws influences from outside to some degree. To my mind for instance, it looks to me like he based his concept off a cormorant (fish eating bird) - an excellent idea but hey dragons are hardly original and sacred alas! I had a long argument with a friend once - he accused me of copying his drawings - which completely honestly I didn't BUT we were reading the same comic books and looking at the same artists - so hey presto we drew the same things.

    I wouldn't sweat it.

    Oh and I wouldn't sweat naming people etc... you have freedom of speech - they can only do you for libel if you published it as fact. You're not considered as publishing just because you write it in this forum even though it is defacto disseminated to everyone who uses the internet. This is in effect a private conversation between individuals as opposed to an act of publication.

    If you stuck it on your personal/professional site as fact or say if Manley stuck it as a headline on here, that might be libelous, but even then, if you live in the US - they'd have to prove you were wrong - in the UK it sucks - you have to prove you were right!

    Edit - I scoped out the work of some of the tutors - they seem pretty skilled/experienced to me - so yeah who knows whether it was just coincidence or not. Pretty hard to prove they didn't just do it themselves...
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; March 11th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

    Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

    LIVESTREAM

  21. #19
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,051
    Thanks
    4,223
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    they'd have to prove you were wrong - in the UK it sucks - you have to prove you were right!
    The reason for that is so people don't sue at the drop of a hat like in the US, but have to be sure that they will win based on facts. Saying that, suing anyone in a different country is hell (I did some research for a friend) and you still might not see anything even if right.

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pyrenees, France
    Posts
    1,462
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 626 Times in 451 Posts
    I understand what you are saying, but I think the libel laws in the UK are very one sided because the automatic assumption in court is that the defendant is guilty. For instance, in the case where that ex postie and green activist got sued by MacDonald's because they printed a bunch of things we all know to be true about them. Because of UK libel laws, they had to prove their case, instead of MacDonald's proving that the things they had written were untrue. The automatic assumption is that you committed libel and YOU have to prove you didn't. Even simple things like MacDonald's food is bad for your health, the defendants HAD to prove this. They won in the end because the EU courts ruled that the UK libel laws basically contravened human rights. What it basically amounts to is censorship because its quite easy for corporations who don't like what you say to basically sue you for libel even if they know you are right, the onus of proof is on you. It turns around the innocent until proven guilty principle completely. Its a great doc... Mclibel... But I actually learned about the laws because my wife is a journo.

    Of course what you are saying about people suing left right and centre may be where the idea originated from, but its the only law I know of where the assumption of guilt exists...
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

    Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

    LIVESTREAM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: August 25th, 2014, 10:04 AM
  2. "Studying" Your Favourite Artists? (Copying their work)
    By doodles-inc in forum Art Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 5th, 2011, 01:13 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
  4. Art: Does copying someone elses work help?
    By garg in forum Fine Art
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 21st, 2002, 10:02 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.