Sketchbook: back from the dead - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are some nice studies. lots of movement.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MisterJC - Thanks dude!

Here's another of those, and a SP and still life I did for figure drawing class.. I think next week we actually gonna start drawing figures or learning about them. The still life is cropped a bit at the top because I didn't feel like scanning this huge page 6 times but if anyone's got some good crits on it please hook me up, cuz I have another to do for homework.

back from the dead

back from the dead

back from the dead

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! You really have been making some progress, dude! My favs of the latest are the figures tho, I have to admit. I'm jealous of those awesome dynamic poses! I'm always so freakin' stiff with my stuff. You're getting good fast, just keep at it! Thanks for the post on my thread. Hope you'll be back. I'll definatel keep my eye on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit , that self portrait is awesome. very nice work. dont be afraid of those eyes, look at them a bit more when you re drawing. eyes are just condensed forms.
    sorry for not being around when you were chillin. (work sucks) maybe we can do a bit more drawing and a little less "me getting fucked up" next time. i'll give you a call when i m in the area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Teenie Weenies!!!

Intense SP really like it ____ assume you are using mech pencil _____ line quality is more difficult with some media but it is always extremely important _____ try putting a harder surface between the pages of your sketchbook _____ like a very thin piece of mylar or plastic!!!

The teenie weenies are great _____ it is a great way to do lots and lots of little studies <><><><><><> it really forces you to look for variety and points out the how important movement is in a pose.

One of the traps a great many artist fall into is working only with what they see_____ unfortunately life does not stand still and if you really want to put life in your drawings it has to come from you! That is way it is so important to be able to capture the movement in a short post and be able to finish it without the model anyplace and anytime!

Photos are not the same, even though many artist rely on them____an experienced artist come spot a rendering from a photo instantly_____

Keep doing the teenie weenies with and without reference to expand your understanding of movement and simplified figure structure ____ it will pay off big time_____try to do some with the same pose from a lot of different viewpoints~~~~~~ it will stretch your brain a little

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz - Thanks dude! Yea these figures are a lot of fun, took me a few days to get into them .. I think the biggest thing that I picked up out of the workshop was to let loose and keep it loose.. tighten up in the key spots. That and flex kind of set me off with the idea of posing with skeletal landmarks. I will be dropping by again.

Flex - Yo thanks man! The portrait was kind of rushed mentally.. I need to get bolder quicker and get my value relationships correctly in there much faster.. its still really kind of grey. But I'm glad you guys like it, I will watch out for those eyes next time. And it was cool chillin with ya man we can do more than just be artists all the time right?

Mentler - Thanks! Man you always just drop the kind of posts I have to read 5 times over. Yeah I started it off with a mechanical and had to finish it up with a good old fashioned pencil because I ran out of lead. Good suggestion I will have to do that next time I work out of my pad.. I think when I work this big I'm gonna just need rip the paper out and use a board. Also thanks for your tips on the teenie weenies I will start incorporating some more reference and try the multi-viewpoints thing also.. I noticed that when you draw this small it really forced me to pick up on the whole idea of rhythms.. use what you can to communicate because there is not much space.

Well I got a challenge with Canuckwithapencil for the US vs World thunderdome - topic is "A world of all times" - basically a world that has no boundaries between any histories/fantasies/futures.. heres some thumbs just trying to feel out the idea.

back from the dead

back from the dead

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup mike. was good meeting you at the workshop, albeit wet and briefly. one thing i notice, especially in the still life and the self portrait, you need to think about the edges more. think about the way the forms are rolling away from the light, and your eye. if they are rolling quicker, give them a harder edge. if they are rolling gently, like a sphere, give them a softer edge. cast shadows always are a hard edge, unless they are farther away, and they diffuse as they get further from the point of casting. Look at some of fredflickstones work to see what i mean. manipulating the edges properly will go a long way to giving your forms dimension.
    cheers!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the work, bro! These latest doodles are lookin' nice! I can't wait to see the finished concepts bloomin' outta these. And BTW, you really oughta share what Flex taught ya. lol I struggle all over the place with the figure. Any chance you could pass along some of that info to the rest of us? Maybe a demo?? Thanks in advance.

Ry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jetpack - Hey Mike, it was good meeting you too. I have been trying to be more edge concious since seeing Ron's demo, but still didnt really get it completely.. I'll try and experiment with them some and apply to my next still life. Thanks for the critique/info dude!

Zebzfree - Thanks dude.. well Flex didnt really do a lot of demo'ing for me but he did drop a few things here and there that got me thinking.. One was I noticed how a lot of people when they're drawing dont pick up their pencil very much.. Targete was roughing out his compositions like that.. it gives everything this nice fluid feel and lets you make mistakes but you are more able to search and feel out what you're doing. Flex and Mike pointed out that I would start a nice loose sketch like that, then tighten it up like say draw an arm nice and loose but then connect it together like a cylinder (really finite). Marko kind of touched on that too, he said when you look at an arm.. its not this straight form.. you have all these little bumps and things that are in there.. so he tries to keep his hand kind of "trembly" so that it has that kind of feel to it. Flex also mentioned something about how it got a lot easier for him to do gestures and posing once he knew the skeleton.. and I thought to myself .. well I kind of know the skeleton.. what am I missing out on here? So I posed a pic just using key landmarks and built on top of that and it worked out pretty well. So I started drawing little tiny frameworks kind of like mentler's teeny weenies only more simple and tried to just have the limbs and spine be represented as one line that would hold up the weight of the body. Then I started trying to add on the muscles I knew a few days later and thats pretty much where I'm at now. Another thing I have been trying to think about lately is getting some light direction and values established quickly in the drawing process, trying to build forms up with values along with line because not everything can be shown through line but a lot can be implied through value. I think thats the jist of everything I've been trying to do since I got back from SF.. I dunno if I am really that fit to be teaching but if you want to paintchat or OC sometime just IM me or hit me up in IRC.

So um heres a couple sketches and TD thumbnails.. I'm not really 100% happy with them.. battle scenes are f'n tough.. I started them pretty free form just trying to build up a ton of stuff in space and am trying to think more about composition.

back from the dead

back from the dead

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great pics !

show us some more !

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hurricane - Thanks man!

Been drawing like crazy still but got in a bit of a slump in the middle of the week.. coming back out of it now I think. Couple a teenies, I did the second one for show us your quick sketches thread, you can watch me draw it at http://artpad.art.com/?iayo4znps40

back from the dead

back from the dead

Gonna start working on the TD soon this is my last thumb.. I am thinking of going with either the second or fifth one on the first page. I might like this one too if I put some more action into the villain guy.

back from the dead

And my still life.. I think I gotta bit better idea about edges.. this got a bit rushed though in pretty much everywhere but the spheres. I need to do more of these.

back from the dead

Yoinked some recycled style paper from these boxes at work.. they just throw the stuff away and I've never got a chance to use it yet so played around with it tonight.. got a little crazy with the white conte.

back from the deadback from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Warming up for another SP assignment, found out I had this big flat pencil and tried it out and tightened up some with mech pencil.. digging the painting type approach. Fixed this a little bit with photoshop because the page was pretty badly lit and looks alright in low light but looks all messed up in direct light.

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I sure do admire your work ethic! Nice stuff, bro! I really love the last SP warm up. This one image really shows the progress you've made. Awesome work! I can't wait to see the finished SP. Make sure you post it when you're done! It looks like it'll be pretty freakin' great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike,

That SP is one of the best things I've seen you produce, you're starting to "see" much better. I think a big issue people have to overcome is the symbols we have programmed into us since we were kids- rather than seeing the real shape of an something, we think of what they are "supposed" to look like (like eyes for example, people who start drawing make these weird almond things, and don't take into account the real construction of what's happening there)... I think you're getting past this point that everyone goes through, and really seeing. Drawing from life is helping you tons.

Good job man, I can't wait to see what you make from this point on.

-cody

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Booya, that self portrait rocks! Try some more with that technique!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketches man, really enjoyed your dynamic figures! The new self portrait looks fantastic!

Only thing I noticed was a lot of your faces have the same shape... maybe it's just me!

Keep it up dude, really liked these sketches. I'll be checking back soon!

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good mr mike!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sp man, i recognized u from it. it could use some more darks around the cheek area i think, looks reallt flat in some spots, looks good tho. keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz - Thanks dude yea, I've been trying to do thumbs and smaller sketches first for class because I am kind of intimidating working at 18x24 and well I'm only taking one class so I'm trying to get the most out of it. So the finished one is just same ideas and approach only much larger.

Cody - Thanks man, yea I really agree definitely one of the better things I've done. I'm totally getting into life drawing man, just the little bit that I've done so far I can see so much that I've kinda knew already, but not really. So I'm gonna keep at it - after I finish my TD, I'm gonna do some more still lifes on my own and at least one self portrait a week for class, plus we're gonna start drawing people at some point, so its gonna be tight. Thanks for your encouragement bro.

Fukifino - Heheh that booya cracked me up : ) Thanks dude.

IanE - Thanks man! Glad you like em. You're right about the faces, they're all pretty much based on my conception of a skull form + features on top.. not a lot of variety, something thats kind of bothered me lately. I need to be more creative with them, sometimes I fall in the trap of just making a "head" and then they all really do end up looking the same.

Joe - Thanks man! How's the job dude??

Argh - Thanks dude. Yeah you're right I think the cheek could probably use a little more definition. Hopefully I get better at the flat spots with practice.. rendering is coming a little easier to me now but still got a long way to go.

So here's the SP assignment for class, I had to wear the hat. Took maybe 3 1/2 - 5 hrs , lost track.. its 18x24 so forgive the scan lines if you notice. I like the likeness better but I think it could use a bit better value range.

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    back from the dead

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude, that 2nd still life is a pretty significant improvement. keep workin the edges, and judging spaces, it's payin off already.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your second sp is the guy i remember meeting in san fran. i wish i could hav e associated hassleing you guys in irc with the actual people. thatsv how i met hito in austin. lol. any ways very strong stuff. i just went through your entire threads images and you hav e made quite the improvement since july. (excuse the random spaces in between letters my space bar is sticking)

just for some feature and anatomy things your figures all come out nicely. you have the same problem i had (still have but wont admit it) which is making the arms longer then they should be. this is only a slight thing in some of your sketches. i recomend picking up the bridgman books and vanderpoels human figure book(older editions are better but the cheap dover book is good too). i like the marko studies. between him and wes they have a great grasp on the different looks focusing on the race and culture of their characters. keep studying them.

bad ass man

-dinsk

Ottosketch.com
    LOTR, Halo, Heroes Sketchcards from Topps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jetpack/Mike - Thanks man and thanks so much for the crit before, I really been trying to look into edges a lot more had no idea what I was missing out on really. But it makes a huge difference, hopefully get in some more life drawing in the next week.

dns/Otto - Haha yea I had my eye out for the irc guys the most at the workshop. Thanks for the comments. I see what you're saying about the arms.. my proportions arent the greatest just making small improvements here and there as my understanding of how everything gets put together gets better.. sometimes its like one insight will change the whole figure. Hopefully I will work out a lot of the issues from life drawing. Need to get back into anatomy study too, its been awhile since I've got into that. Haven't heard of the vanderpool book, I'll have to check that out. And yea marko and wes kick ass at that.. I think I need to envy their knowledge more than their artwork and get into using refs more often.

Well totally changed gears on my TD idea on thursday, but still way too ambitious .. lot of issues happening in here, probably could've worked on this for another week or month hehe. But learned a lot trying to pull this off and had some fun, so its cool. Oh, topic is "a world of all times".

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there ya go man that looks great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks liam still a little drained from working on it.

Here's some quick sketches of people from work.

back from the dead

back from the dead

Wasn't really feeling this still life and it shows..

back from the dead

And some quickies of my dog..

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got more into this drawing today but gave up a little on the white cups in the back, really delicate tone shift + ellipse = not fun.. I need to draw these things more often. The guy at the bottom is playing Street Fighter.

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent mike, those of your dog are great.

youve got a good handle on drawing from reference and your life skills are improving like mad too.

I actually like the fisrt SP more.. it's a little more exaggerated, but that exageration gives it a more 'mike' look

more more more!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

great progress

i now know your name is mike! hahaha, i am chris. nice work you have been posting lately. sorry i haven't commented in a while but it looks like your development is coming along nicely. i like you gestures and you studies. keep up the great work and as joe says, "more, more, more!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joe - Thanks man! Yea I know what you're saying about the self portraits.. didnt really think about it but the second one has a more measured and exact approach which kind of takes the life out of it.

Chris - Haha yup.. I guess no one reads my signature Thanks dude, no need to apologize.

More is coming fellas! Worked all night and afternoon on a SP for class, teacher ended up keeping it.. might make it to a community college art show or something. But we drew some skulls in class and I was pretty stoked to draw from a skull model so put some effort into these. 300 pics in the sketchbook folder now, not including the crap that doesnt make it online.. 9,700 pics to go

back from the dead

back from the dead

What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    300 pics, nice dude, thats an effort to be proud of.. youre inspiring me to start posting my doodles again too.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.