Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: back from the dead

Thanks
    WOW!!!! Geez Mike, inSANE progress with each page. You are on such an amazing path right now. Don't stop. You seem to be tackling any faults head on. Keep it goin man. I can't wait to see what you've got next.

It was great meeting you at the workshop man, we gotta do an OC session. I gotta give that a shot. Talk to ya soon man.

Mike
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey mike, I'm glad we were both able to make it out to SF, it was good times man.

you drawing is coming along nicely too, I really dig your improvement.

Thanks
    damn, how are you making so much progress so fast. i remember seeing you stuff before the workshop and then after, soooo much improvement.very cool to meet you, finally, after all those oc sessions. we have to chill again sometime soon.

Thanks
    Guys I dunno how to explain it but all of you people have inspired the hell out of me.. all I can think about is how bad I want to open my mind up to new possibilities and keep challenging myself to work at this. The workshop was so incredible its all I've been able to think about really. I've been doing a lot of exercises and stuff and then trying to ask myself some bigger questions - I feel like I'm gettin lucky most of the time - I dont want to stop drawing because I'm afraid I'll lose the ability or something. Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement!!

Capprotti- YOO Mike. Dude was great staying with you man! Thanks so much, hit me up on AIM if you can and we can OC - I am usually up pretty late so thats a good time for me.

Joe - Yea me too dude. You were right to say that we'd be seeing each other again a few months ago. Thanks to you and cody for giving me that little taste of Austin! Hope your new gig goes well!

Pat - Great meeting you too dude! Yea man we gotsta hit up sometime. I'll call you/call me or something.

Some more Paintchat stuff, somehow got stuck on this shaman idea.. need to work on these hands

back from the dead

back from the dead
    Last edited by Mike Frank; January 16th, 2005 at 10:45 PM.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Some more paintchat things -

back from the dead

back from the dead
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    nice stuff you have here.

one thing, make sure your hair line follows the rest of the features when your doing different views of the head. because in most of the ones that are not face forward, the forehead is way too big.

ok then.

Thanks
    MisterJc - Thanks man! Good spot on that, I hadnt ever noticed but you're absolutely right, I'll have to watch out for that.

Hanging out over at Niko's paintchat quite a bit -

back from the dead

I've been doing these figure exercises for the past couple days - they are somewhat Mentler/Hogarth inspired - think I am going to keep at them and hopefully get a better handle on foreshortening and also start injecting more anatomy study into them. Lot of the poses are from watching some gymnastic videos, but just watching them, then making some drawings with their influence.

back from the dead

back from the dead

back from the dead
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    those are some nice studies. lots of movement.

Thanks
    MisterJC - Thanks dude!

Here's another of those, and a SP and still life I did for figure drawing class.. I think next week we actually gonna start drawing figures or learning about them. The still life is cropped a bit at the top because I didn't feel like scanning this huge page 6 times but if anyone's got some good crits on it please hook me up, cuz I have another to do for homework.

back from the dead

back from the dead

back from the dead
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow! You really have been making some progress, dude! My favs of the latest are the figures tho, I have to admit. I'm jealous of those awesome dynamic poses! I'm always so freakin' stiff with my stuff. You're getting good fast, just keep at it! Thanks for the post on my thread. Hope you'll be back. I'll definatel keep my eye on this one.

Thanks
    holy shit , that self portrait is awesome. very nice work. dont be afraid of those eyes, look at them a bit more when you re drawing. eyes are just condensed forms.
    sorry for not being around when you were chillin. (work sucks) maybe we can do a bit more drawing and a little less "me getting fucked up" next time. i'll give you a call when i m in the area.

Thanks

The Teenie Weenies!!!

Intense SP really like it ____ assume you are using mech pencil _____ line quality is more difficult with some media but it is always extremely important _____ try putting a harder surface between the pages of your sketchbook _____ like a very thin piece of mylar or plastic!!!

The teenie weenies are great _____ it is a great way to do lots and lots of little studies <><><><><><> it really forces you to look for variety and points out the how important movement is in a pose.

One of the traps a great many artist fall into is working only with what they see_____ unfortunately life does not stand still and if you really want to put life in your drawings it has to come from you! That is way it is so important to be able to capture the movement in a short post and be able to finish it without the model anyplace and anytime!

Photos are not the same, even though many artist rely on them____an experienced artist come spot a rendering from a photo instantly_____

Keep doing the teenie weenies with and without reference to expand your understanding of movement and simplified figure structure ____ it will pay off big time_____try to do some with the same pose from a lot of different viewpoints~~~~~~ it will stretch your brain a little

Thanks
    Zebz - Thanks dude! Yea these figures are a lot of fun, took me a few days to get into them .. I think the biggest thing that I picked up out of the workshop was to let loose and keep it loose.. tighten up in the key spots. That and flex kind of set me off with the idea of posing with skeletal landmarks. I will be dropping by again.

Flex - Yo thanks man! The portrait was kind of rushed mentally.. I need to get bolder quicker and get my value relationships correctly in there much faster.. its still really kind of grey. But I'm glad you guys like it, I will watch out for those eyes next time. And it was cool chillin with ya man we can do more than just be artists all the time right?

Mentler - Thanks! Man you always just drop the kind of posts I have to read 5 times over. Yeah I started it off with a mechanical and had to finish it up with a good old fashioned pencil because I ran out of lead. Good suggestion I will have to do that next time I work out of my pad.. I think when I work this big I'm gonna just need rip the paper out and use a board. Also thanks for your tips on the teenie weenies I will start incorporating some more reference and try the multi-viewpoints thing also.. I noticed that when you draw this small it really forced me to pick up on the whole idea of rhythms.. use what you can to communicate because there is not much space.

Well I got a challenge with Canuckwithapencil for the US vs World thunderdome - topic is "A world of all times" - basically a world that has no boundaries between any histories/fantasies/futures.. heres some thumbs just trying to feel out the idea.

back from the dead

back from the dead

back from the dead
    What the Sketchbook

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast