Thanks

Twitch-based MMOs?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...atency-records

Seeing as optical data transfer might really give long distance data processing a major push and reduction in lag time, I could see a market open up for a twitch-based MMO. And when I say twitch-based, I'm thinking along the lines of Dark Souls' style of combat, where milliseconds matter. The reason there cannot be an MMO like this at the moment is because of longer distance data travel. It's one of the reasons that EVE Online has such a clunky (in my opinion) combat system and a limited speed. If you're playing World of Warcraft, and there is a delay, you'll be off by a few feet of where your opponent is. If you were playing a twitch-based space game, you'd be off by several kilometers at realistic speeds (though even if the delay was zero, there would be problems in that).

When you play games like Dark Souls or Call of Duty on multiplayer, the matches are largely local because of transfer speeds. WoW can be farther away because the melee range is flexible and there are a wide range of abilities that allow for a slightly slower lag time, since you have to react with the right combinations of abilities in which a delay of a tenth or twentieth of a second is fine. In situations like raids and other PvE situations, a delay of 300 ms is doable.

If everyone was on a local server with local people, this could be done. Given that this is a forum with myriad imaginative people (some of whom may actually be working at studios), I'd love to hear more of your knowledge, thoughts and opinions on the future of MMOs.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Who cares?
    MMOs are the happy meals of the game world. This is about as interesting as a chemist telling us that gov regs are changing to allow a 0.025% increase in trinophosphoglutawhatever content in patties.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    Who cares?
    MMOs are the happy meals of the game world. This is about as interesting as a chemist telling us that gov regs are changing to allow a 0.025% increase in trinophosphoglutawhatever content in patties.
    It would be interesting to you if you liked MMOs. And no, it isn't like your example. It's about more along the lines of pushing something past a critical threshold to allow new changes.

Basically, the bottom line in connection speed is what is making the MMO genre stale. It's the same game over and over again, and this is what will be required to change that paradigm.

If by "Happy Meals," you mean "cheap, high endorphin garbage that gets old fast," then yes, I actually agree right now. But instead of changing the content in the patty, it's more like giving you the allowance to make a wide variety of things with a much higher range of quality and subtlety.

Couple this with the consistent improvement in computing power (now that we have the next gen consoles, we'll see PC games improve dramatically), and the MMO genre should find itself completely transformed.

Thanks
    OK I'll bite. Assuming no lag at all, what improvements would there be in MMO game experience?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkan View Post
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...atency-records

Seeing as optical data transfer might really give long distance data processing a major push and reduction in lag time, I could see a market open up for a twitch-based MMO. And when I say twitch-based, I'm thinking along the lines of Dark Souls' style of combat, where milliseconds matter. The reason there cannot be an MMO like this at the moment is because of longer distance data travel. It's one of the reasons that EVE Online has such a clunky (in my opinion) combat system and a limited speed. If you're playing World of Warcraft, and there is a delay, you'll be off by a few feet of where your opponent is. If you were playing a twitch-based space game, you'd be off by several kilometers at realistic speeds (though even if the delay was zero, there would be problems in that).

When you play games like Dark Souls or Call of Duty on multiplayer, the matches are largely local because of transfer speeds. WoW can be farther away because the melee range is flexible and there are a wide range of abilities that allow for a slightly slower lag time, since you have to react with the right combinations of abilities in which a delay of a tenth or twentieth of a second is fine. In situations like raids and other PvE situations, a delay of 300 ms is doable.

If everyone was on a local server with local people, this could be done. Given that this is a forum with myriad imaginative people (some of whom may actually be working at studios), I'd love to hear more of your knowledge, thoughts and opinions on the future of MMOs.
    A small thought experiment. Imagine traveling back in time, say 13th century, and reciting this loudly at a medieval town square.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    So why can people play MMOs (I don't) with the tech used in Call of Duty or Gears of War? Seems like the tech is there already, but not being used.

LaCan, I do that all the time in my head.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    So why can people play MMOs (I don't) with the tech used in Call of Duty or Gears of War? Seems like the tech is there already, but not being used.

LaCan, I do that all the time in my head.
    They match those based on connection speed, and likewise, the matches tend to be nearby, as opposed to an MMO where you're going to be 4000 miles away sometimes.

This is also how Dark Souls multiplayer is. It matches people who are generally a lot closer, and it's even more important there because the weapon swings are all location based.