Art: Painting techniques

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painting techniques

Hi everybody!

I'm finishing a Stuart Little sculpture done with supersculpey, and I'm looking for tips and techniques on painting it... any advice or any link to tutorials?

Best regards, I will keep enjoying these great forums!

Ramiro

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had some experience with painting sculpey, First of all, you might want to prime the surface with the sculpey glaze stuff, or use acrylic water-based paints. I would be careful of how you finish it, I painted some of my sculpey projects with acrylics, and then sprayed them with a spray finish, and it made them sticky to the touch forever. So to finish them off you would probably want to use the Sculpey glaze.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your using acrylics look at getting vallejo paints.
    Also, try looking at miniature gaming sites, since there is a lot of painting information there.
    In short: get a spray primer(games workshop makes a decent one, but if you are in need of a quick solution without a games store nearby, there are usually spray primers at hobby stores, they might be a bit gritty though.

The primer color matters as well, white will make your colors pop more, but some small details might be obscured, while black will emphasize texture, but your colors might be a bit darker, and require more coats.

You probably also need a clear coat once you are done.

I don't know how much you know about painting, but there are a few quick tips:
    Use lots of thin layers of paint to achieve your gradients, it's a lot simpler in the end then wet blending(atleast in my opinion)
    Washes can also help pick out crevices or other details, try some dish soap if you need to break surface tension.
    That's really all I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't know much about air brushing though :/
    hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your using acrylics look at getting vallejo paints.
    Or Any other paint designed specifically for miniatures since they are self leveling, super fine particles,highly pigmented and dry relatively fast. Another option, which is what I use, is Reaper Pro Paints.
    http://www.cyberdungeon.com/Generated/GameSystems/172561.html

Do NOT..not not not use any primers not meant for use on polymer clay and to my limited knowledge there is no such thing. Every primer I have used, or that any one that I have heard about from others, are enamel based and will not dry properly on PC. If you feel you need something like this, use a flat acrylic paint instead.

Lots of painting info at following links. They are for tabletop miniatures but they do appliy to any figure painting.
    http://www.mini-bart.com/index.php
    http://miniature-painting.net/

Members who have read this thread: 1