Sketchbook: Jakkrobbit's Pile o' Sketches
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jakkrobbit's Pile o' Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jakkrobbit's Pile o' Sketches

Hey, everyone! I've been lurking in CA for a while and it seems like a great place to post sketches and drawings for feedback. I studied Sequential Art with a minor of Concept Art for Games at SCAD for two years, but left due to financial reasons. I've spent the past 2 and a half years saving money, and next week I'll start school at a college in my hometown with a major in Animation and Game Art Design.

Truth be told, I'm sort of stuck in a crossroads when it comes to deciding what I want to do with my career. I know I want to make art for a living; I want to entertain people with my drawings and I want to tell stories, but I don't have a specific job position or company in mind like most people seem to. I attended a portfolio review with a Disney recruiter back in May, and when he asked me what I wanted to do in animation, I bullshitted him for a few minutes before finally being honest and saying "whatever gets my foot in the door." He laughed, so I guess what I said wasn't horrible, but he did tell me to pick a specific position, which I haven't been able to do.

This is a long-winded way of me saying I need to get my shit together. Anyway, less talking, more drawing! These sketches are from last month. I plan to post more in a couple of days. Hopefully these files don't turn out to be insanely huge. One of them is a negative space study and the others are gestures I drew while it was slow at my second job (which I quit this week thankfully). You guys are gonna learn how much I fucking love gestures. I also threw in a drawing of Lust from FMA so you can see I'm not avoiding faces. I swear I have no aversion to drawing them; it's just that I concrete more of the body when I make gestures.

Again, I'm praying these files aren't too big.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Jakkrobbit; December 25th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I almost forgot I made this post. Whoops! Well, I've started school since I made this thread (which is why it's taken me 3 weeks to post an update). Despite passing Life Drawing I and II at SCAD, the credits didn't transfer over to my current school. So, I'm taking Life Drawing I this semester, along with a couple non-studio classes. I don't mind taking it again, though. Truth be told, I didn't fight the faculty as hard as I could have because I wanted to take Life Drawing again. I still I need to do a ton of work when it comes to anatomy, but I think my professor disagrees. He seems to leave me alone a lot when it comes to classwork. I have to track him down for advice otherwise he just says "great, you've got it" and walks off to help someone else. Earlier today he gave me permission to approach drawing a model my own way rather that use the diagrammatic(if that's the term) method he was teaching because "that's more for people who haven't had much training at you have."

I don't mean this to sound like bragging. I remember being jealous and resentful any time a professor I had visibly picked favorites, and part of me always wished I was in those students' shoes. But now that I'm in that position -or fairly close to it- I just feel weird and nervous...like I can't screw up, now.

Anyway, I'm so busy drawing I might as well upload a few pics.

These first 2 were a homework assignments. The original assignment was to draw 5 hands, but I drew 7 because hands have always been a struggle for me. Funny thing is that when we turned in our sketchbooks the next week, he announced that everyone who drew only 5 sketches got a C. Then, he carried on to say that if you only do what's expected of you, that's average- a C. You earn A's and B's by going above and beyond. I lucked out in that case, but I think I want to apply that line of thinking to the rest of my classes from now on.
    Name:  hands1_small.png
Views: 721
Size:  491.2 KB

Name:  hands2_small.png
Views: 731
Size:  393.8 KB

This one is an unfinished drawing from our first class with a model. He let us do our own thing the first time we drew him, showed us a demo on siting and measuring, then told us to draw the model again using siting and measuring. This was the result of the second drawing. I wish I'd taken a photo of the first one for comparison.
    Name:  LDstudy.png
Views: 764
Size:  371.0 KB

This has absolutely nothing to do with life drawing. I'm going through a phase with ballpoint pens and watercolor markers right now. I have 2 more sketches in my sketchbook similar to this one.
    Name:  Morgan concept-real_small.png
Views: 756
Size:  823.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice gestures! love the looseness which still hints at structure. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your gestures! You've got a really fluid style with a great sense of weight.

Welcome to CA and good luck with school! You've got the right attitude; no such thing as too much lifedrawing. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightball_ View Post
    nice gestures! love the looseness which still hints at structure. keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revidescent View Post
    I really like your gestures! You've got a really fluid style with a great sense of weight.

Welcome to CA and good luck with school! You've got the right attitude; no such thing as too much lifedrawing. =)
    Thanks guys! Sometimes, I can't tell if the gesture drawing I do shows in my sketches. So, I'm glad is does. And yeah, I can't imagine ever saying to myself "no more life drawing." I'd take Life Drawing 3 if my school offered it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These first two were actually drawn before school started. I wanted to practice pushing my designs a little bit more, so I literally scribbled a few lines on paper and tried to draw portraits based on them.
    Name:  annoyedman_small.png
Views: 762
Size:  251.6 KB Name:  grumpyman_small.png
Views: 823
Size:  432.5 KB

More life drawing homework. We had to draw skeletons based on poses from either real life or our anatomy books. I chose to draw a few based on pictures on our books. I realize now that I drew way too many ribs. I've always hated drawing rib cages. I get lost in all the bones as I'm drawing, and next thing I know, I've lost track of which one sketching.
    Name:  skltn_small.png
Views: 823
Size:  639.8 KBName:  skltn2_small.png
Views: 938
Size:  520.3 KB

Last edited by Jakkrobbit; December 25th, 2013 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Our last assignment from Life Drawing. Our current assignment a value study. It's been a day since my last class, and I still have charcoal in my figure nails. DX

Name:  LD-linedrawing_small.png
Views: 618
Size:  252.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your gestures are wonderful and there is a lovely fluidity in your work.

Yes, a lot of times teachers will "leave you alone" if you're more advanced. There are so many students these days that need more work, so the teachers focus more on them and leave the other students to their own devices. It gets kind of boring after a while.

But fortunately, a place like CA won't have that problem, since there are so many AMAZING artists here, there's always someone who knows their shit and can give you tips. (That artist won't be me this time, though! LOL.) I think you're doing fine and just keep on working hard the way you are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice features, love the movement you describe on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by celadon View Post
    Your gestures are wonderful and there is a lovely fluidity in your work.

Yes, a lot of times teachers will "leave you alone" if you're more advanced. There are so many students these days that need more work, so the teachers focus more on them and leave the other students to their own devices. It gets kind of boring after a while.

But fortunately, a place like CA won't have that problem, since there are so many AMAZING artists here, there's always someone who knows their shit and can give you tips. (That artist won't be me this time, though! LOL.) I think you're doing fine and just keep on working hard the way you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelineparis View Post
    nice features, love the movement you describe on it
    Thanks guys!

Going to other students has helped me out quite a bit like you said, Celadon. Even when the teacher doesn't help, I can usually chat with other people in class during breaks. Everyone's pretty comfortable giving each other advice. In the life drawing classes I took at SCAD, I remember most people being too terrified to do critique.

I guess it's a good thing I enjoy drawing people because I'd go crazy otherwise, lol. The other day, he walked around the room asking each person where the brightest part on the figure was. I figured I'd found it so, like a nerd, I was excited to give my answer, but he walked over to me, said "good job" and walked away. I stood there going "WTF???"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkrobbit View Post
    I guess it's a good thing I enjoy drawing people because I'd go crazy otherwise, lol. The other day, he walked around the room asking each person where the brightest part on the figure was. I figured I'd found it so, like a nerd, I was excited to give my answer, but he walked over to me, said "good job" and walked away. I stood there going "WTF???"
    What the heck? He can't even put in the effort? If I were you I'd feel very cheated.

Have you seen the teacher's artwork? Do you feel that he is very advanced or accomplished?

I've had teachers (at the community college level) who weren't super good. Not that they couldn't have taught me anything, but just not super good. Some of them didn't give me a lot of critique because . . . I dunno . . . maybe they thought I'd get offended or maybe they were insecure? One teacher was actually pretty good, but I could tell she was insecure around me for some reason.

I like it when I'm in a class where a lot of the students are more advanced than me. Then I know I'm going to get some good instruction. It's very exciting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by celadon View Post
    What the heck? He can't even put in the effort? If I were you I'd feel very cheated.

Have you seen the teacher's artwork? Do you feel that he is very advanced or accomplished?

I've had teachers (at the community college level) who weren't super good. Not that they couldn't have taught me anything, but just not super good. Some of them didn't give me a lot of critique because . . . I dunno . . . maybe they thought I'd get offended or maybe they were insecure? One teacher was actually pretty good, but I could tell she was insecure around me for some reason.

I like it when I'm in a class where a lot of the students are more advanced than me. Then I know I'm going to get some good instruction. It's very exciting!
    So sorry for replying so late. I'm getting swamped by work and school. I worked 6 days last week. DX Anyway, his work isn't too bad. He actually has a website here. http://johndaviscarroll.com/home.html Landscapes are definitely his strength, though. He's definitely not shy about critiquing people, at least not in my opinion. There's a guy in class who I consider miles ahead of me, and the teacher always has tips for him when it comes to his drawings- normally telling him not to overwork his stuff. The guy draws pretty fast and has a tendency to start adding things he doesn't need to draw.

I like having classes where a lot of people are more advanced than me because a little competition motivates me more.

Last edited by Jakkrobbit; March 9th, 2014 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once again, I disappeared from the face of the planet. Well, school's out for the semester so I'll be more active for the time being. I had got straight A's for the first time in...ever. My professor kept one of my to hang in either the hallway or the student gallery (the notice in my final portfolio literally said "gallery and/or hallway"). So, that was a confidence boost for me. All in all this semester's been a surprisingly good start to school. I thought since I'd spent the last 2 years working, getting back into the swing of things would have been harder.

Anyway, here are a few gesture drawings I did a while back. I didn't get a chance to scan these (or the other hundreds of drawings I've made over the last 4 months) until now.

Last edited by Jakkrobbit; December 25th, 2013 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided I liked one of my life drawing assignments enough to make a colored illustration based on it. So, here's the WIP for that. This is much more stylized than the original, of course. I'm still deciding on the colors I want to use right now. I've still haven't figured out a process for digital paintings. Each time I make one, I use a slightly different approach. Critiques are welcome for this.

Name:  junglechick-WIP_small.png
Views: 404
Size:  251.1 KB

Everyone else hid under your bed, so I'm in your closet.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those recent gestures are starting to look pretty good, keep it up .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambiguity View Post
    Those recent gestures are starting to look pretty good, keep it up .
    Thank you! I've had a lot of fun drawing gestures. We had a class entirely dedicated to gestures later last semester, and I was in paradise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the last day of my life drawing class, I found out one of the models wanted to buy a drawing another student made of her. The guy in question was exceptionally good- I'd be following his work if he had some online presence (trust me, I looked), but I have a tendency to...invent rivalries with classmates when it comes to art. Nothing extreme, but the competition motivates me to put my all into a drawing. The downside of inventing rivalries is that I get embarrassingly bummed out when I don't "win," which was the case when that happened.

But instead of sulking, I decided to step up my game. I now have a 6x9 sketchbook I take with me almost everywhere I go, but I have 2 rules for this sketchbook: 1.) everything I draw in it must be something I see in front of me and 2.) I must fill up one sketchbook a month. I consider it a jump-start on my New Year's Resolution.

Anyway, here are a few of them so far, drawn in a moleskin sketchbook I bought a while back to see what the hype was about. I drew my hands pretty often because they're the most interesting thing I see sometimes. Most of these were drawn while I was getting my hair done a couple of weeks ago. I got braids, which means I had a lot of time to sit and draw.

Name:  mskin hands2- small.png
Views: 377
Size:  499.1 KB Name:  mskin hands- small.png
Views: 499
Size:  820.2 KB

These next 2 drawings were done later at night. A woman and (who I'm a assuming was) her son knocked on the door and said she was locked out of her apartment and needed to call her grandparents. In the midst of my sleep-deprivation and paranoia, I decided they might be trying to rob the shop (the only people there at the time were me and my stylist). I decided I should draw her in case anything happens to me. That way the cops had a sketch of the culprit...they would have been fucking clueless if they only had my gestures to go by. Why I thought a pregnant woman was going to rob me, I have no idea.

Name:  mskin gests2 - small.png
Views: 353
Size:  729.0 KB Name:  mskin doodles2- small.png
Views: 345
Size:  422.4 KB Name:  mskin chair- small.png
Views: 344
Size:  424.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking the start of this sketchbook. I also would like to recommend some things. You already seem to have a nice anatomy book for starters and you are on the right track of setting up yourself with your sketchbook But my recommendations after looking at the flow of your gestures are reading up on Glenn Vilppu, and Glen Kean. Both are amazing artist and animators in their own right. And I think you'll find their lines to be quite enticing.

For structure you can look up Bridgman's books, his anatomy books are great structurally and help you understand form pretty fast

That's all for now, keep it up

Kill it it's moving! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SolitariusScriptor View Post
    I'm liking the start of this sketchbook. I also would like to recommend some things. You already seem to have a nice anatomy book for starters and you are on the right track of setting up yourself with your sketchbook But my recommendations after looking at the flow of your gestures are reading up on Glenn Vilppu, and Glen Kean. Both are amazing artist and animators in their own right. And I think you'll find their lines to be quite enticing.

For structure you can look up Bridgman's books, his anatomy books are great structurally and help you understand form pretty fast

That's all for now, keep it up
    Thank you! Glen Kean's one of my favorite artist and I love Bridgman's books. I didn't know a lot about Vilppu, though. I'll definitely check out his work. Thanks for the tips!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gestures! These are from an old homework assignment. We had to go out in public and draw 5 pages worth of gestures. I drew most of mine while in the upstairs cafe area of a local grocery store- yes, the grocery store is that big- and a few during one of my other classes.

Last edited by Jakkrobbit; December 25th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More life drawing homework, this time drawing torsos from master paintings. One after Lactrec (who's sketches I adore) and the other after Klimt.

Name:  lactrec copy_small.png
Views: 260
Size:  940.3 KB

Name:  klimtcopy_small.png
Views: 269
Size:  934.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gesture drawings - this time done in black conte, ballpoint pen, and ink - plus a random sketch of a character I came up with for my final in Writing for Interactive Media. We had to write the first few pages of script for a game intro. I wound up developing the entire story and designing characters even though 99% of what I came up with never went into the final project. It was easier for me to come up with the entire story, then write the intro. I couldn't write a random intro without knowing where the story was going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another WIP for that painting again. I decided I liked the color scheme enough to go forward with it, but I'm already feeling that urge to scrap it and move on, which is frustrating since I know I need more recent pieces for my portfolio. The only recent drawings I have in their right now are life drawing assignments. I also wanted this to be a commission example in the future. Her face is pissing me off right now. I might work on other details and then come back to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more drawings to end 2013. Happy New Year, everyone!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First submission of the new year....in March. Oops!

Started off the new year in school, so right away my time was eaten up. The only art class I'm taking this semester is Concept Art for Animation, which means I get to draw a ton.

Here's a little sample of what I've been up to, the first to pics being the aforementioned school projects.

Last edited by Jakkrobbit; March 9th, 2014 at 02:30 AM. Reason: my teacher is going to see this and I don't want him to know that I've been complaining about him

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i graduated from SCAD's sequential department in 2009. xD That was quite some time ago. T_T I really like your ballpoint looking sketches. Your perspective drawings seem a little too clean. It looks like on the first one your vanishing points are a little too close in as the side of the building on our right starts to get kinda distorted. The cupboards on the second one don't match the ones that are open. Otherwise, I like the sense of movement in your figures and your gestures. Keep at the anatomy studies.

n e n 念 .
    where flash becomes word and silents selfloud.
    incapax . devArt . sketchbook
    MASCHINELL || ISCARIOT

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I think I was finishing up freshmen year when you graduated, haha. The cleanness of my environments is something that's bugged me for a while. I want the places I draw to look "lived in," if that makes sense, and I can't seem to do it. I think I got closer with the kitchen than the outdoor drawing, but it's still not where I want it. I guess it'll take more practice!

I'll try to remember to keep my vanishing points further apart. I taped 2 pieces of paper together for the kitchen drawing (to get a vanishing point that wasn't inside the composition) but forgot to do that with the outdoor environment, and that poor building on the right paid the price. Thank you for the advice, again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress. Here's my criticisms of your colored environment: The water needs reflections - it looks like green sand. The green mist in the air should be much more apparent and affecting the ambient lighting and shadows of the whole piece. The wood looks too saturated and detached from the environment at the moment. Don't be afraid to grunge things up a bit and draw extra linework details in some of the flat planes!

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Members who have read this thread: 101