Portrait critic plz
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portrait critic plz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait critic plz

Here's a portrait I've been drawing for a very very long time 20hrs+ scratch that 30hrs+. Reference taken from http://portraitsfordrawing.tumblr.com/tagged/female

Critic welcomed(what works and doesn't)

Name:  Finally done 1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  92.2 KB

Reference Pic
    Name:  tumblr_mj0z5rKFMt1qguv2fo1_500.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  67.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good! You've given it so much time, I'd say you can move on to the next one.
    The only thing that is obvious to me as a difference between your portrait and the reference pic is the contrast of the grays. Look at the face and see how dark the shades are compared to the light areas. Don't be afraid to add such dark grays.
    Other than that, good job, and you've captured the likeness really well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You've reproduced the photo pretty accurately, so if you were doing this as a pure exercise in sharpening your eyeballing skills, well done. To see anything that is a little off, you can make your drawing a layer on top of your reference image and then take down the opacity until you see the differences.

I had a look around that gallery, though, and I think nearly all of those photos are lousy for portrait studies. They mostly feature girls looking straight into the camera, as above, with dead flat in-her-face studio lighting. I can't imagine a worse setup for observing and painting the face. (Oh, and what the HELL is that girl with the strings of pearls hanging out of her tear ducts?! Aiiiii!)

The best thing you could do is get a mirror and do a buttload of self portraits. Or have someone sit for you. But at the very least get better photos.

The classic Rembrandt setup is a three-quarter view and strong light coming from the upper left corner. That's because a turned view and raking light is the best for highlighting the shapes of the face. That's what you're trying to learn: the shapes that make up the face. Where is it hard, where is it soft, where is it round, where is it shiny.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    (Oh, and what the HELL is that girl with the strings of pearls hanging out of her tear ducts?! Aiiiii!)
    Don't worry, it seems to be just tiny body jewels pasted/glued to her nose

And as for the image, if you wanted to reproduce the photo, I'd suggest you pay more attention to the values of her face and you seem to have missed a few planes of her face too:
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20..._artofpros.jpg
    http://loveandhotsauce.net/HD1080/jo...softhehead.jpg

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critic really appreciate that you time to critic my work thanks ps I think I obsessed too much on perfection for this piece.

Members who have read this thread: 1