America and the need to own a weapon - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you'd willingly cede control over your life to a centralized bureaucracy? What happens if someone has different ideas regarding the relationship of person and property?

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    well its been about 500 years without a constitution and that hasnt happened so far so im not too worried. how would having a gun under my pillow make difference exactly? i guess i could shoot some schoolchildren as a protest or something, but thats about it..

if by cede control to a centralized bureaucracy you mean have a government, yes i am in favour of a government, most especially one which bans handguns. ive seen mad max and it not great. lots of guns tho! and boundless freedom too come to think of it!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep your crappy colony you're all nutters who think god is real, climate change isnt and guns = peace.
    fucked in the mind the lot of you.

None of this equals me or most of the people I know. Painting with a pretty broad stroke VK. And calling someone a twat. Name calling like a little teenager?
    I remember some discussions involving you before the latest crash where this came up and then I thought you grew up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not American and I don't own a weapon. But right now I wish I've got one. A neighbor upstairs has been "practicing" "Smoke On The Water" riff for the, literally, last 5 hours...

Anyway... Owning firearms is a privilege. I don't understand why would anyone want to plead to the legislature to write off an existing privilege. You might never get your privilege back again. Is this a part of the popular "here, take our liberty but give us security please" bandwagon?

But let's assume the ban is indeed in order. Wouldn't you say the organization calling itself "the military" should have to be included too. This organization owns lots and lots and lots of assault rifles. Lots. And all other kinds of dangerous weaponry. And they engage regularly in... well... mass shootings. The fact that this shootings do not take place on your front yard, doesn't make them any less atrocious.

"The military" consists of the same type of potentially dangerous homo sapiens material "the general population" does. In fact, "the military", given its repressive hierarchical nature, is disposed to attract high percentages of sociopaths and myriad other dodgy mental profiles. I can't see a single valid reason to exempt "the military" from such ban. Save for maybe one thing; their self-proclaimed magically exclusive right to operate weapons on the basis of dressing themselves in silly undiversified clothes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Actually Canada has way more guns per persons than the USA but their gun death rate is minuscule compared to us.
    We don't really think of guns as weapons so much as moose sausage acquisition devices. And coyote deterrents. Gun ownership here is mostly high in rural areas, and those are mostly long guns for obvious reasons. Handguns are restricted, few people own one, few people have a license to carry one, and when at home all guns have to be stored properly.

So no one really gets guns for "protection" the way they do in the States. You aren't allowed to kill a guy just because he's making off with your Xbox anyway. And despite the occasional mass shooting, the highly populated areas have little in the way of violent crime. The best protection is to live in an area where the people are not poor, depressed, AND have easy access to hunting rifles. Look at Alberta and Saskatchewan. We have twice as many guns as Saskatchewan overall but you're way more likely to die in a violent crime in Saskatchewan.

It's not so much about whether people own guns or not, it's whether they feel that they are part of a fundamentally antagonistic society and whether they react to that aggressively. If you're in a negative mental state and you feel your community is against you then you probably want access to weapons (and you probably shouldn't have that). If you're in a positive mental space and feel good about your community then it doesn't really matter that your house is full of potentially deadly stuff because you're not going to use it against other people.

Last edited by vineris; August 14th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    well its been about 500 years without a constitution and that hasnt happened so far so im not too worried. how would having a gun under my pillow make difference exactly? i guess i could shoot some schoolchildren as a protest or something, but thats about it..

if by cede control to a centralized bureaucracy you mean have a government, yes i am in favour of a government, most especially one which bans handguns. ive seen mad max and it not great. lots of guns tho! and boundless freedom too come to think of it!
    What difference does having a gun under the pillow make? Aside from poor storage, it's the difference between a media-created lynching and getting carted off to the morgue. You've mentioned Mad Max. What is it about government stops that from happening? Laws? In case you haven't noticed, criminals don't seem to really care that much about the legality of certain actions. And it might just be me, but a governing authority who hesitates to respond to an incident in a crowded area because of the possibility of suicide bombers doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Most places in the States, it's not legal to plug somebody making off with your Xbox, either. I think Texas may be the only place you can legally fire at someone fleeing with your property.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, gun control...
    There are a lot of factors left out when discussing this matter, like gun crime in relation to drug laws/prohibition and what not. The media blows up a few isolated incidents and everyone is fucking gung-ho on both sides.
    I say let these red-eye dead-eye rootin' tootin' gunslingin' weekend warriors have their malibu barbie fantasy playset accessories, take them away you'll just create an even bigger black market for it and I guarantee that nothing will change in regards to gun related crimes. Sure you could compare the U.S to other countries that are more reserved with their gun laws and you might even make an agreeable point or two, but not a lot of countries have over 300,000,000 guns just lying around either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The more fast cars a country has, the more road fatalities you will have.
    The more swimming pools a country has, the more likely people will drown.
    The more British soccer teams a country has, the more riots it will have.

I understand guns can be a public hazard. That's too bad. I feel sorry for anybody effected. It's still just a petty narrative.
    Nobody cares when an icy road kills dozens of commuters. Or the thousands of doctors out there that accidentally prescribe the wrong medication and kill their patients. Nobody acknowledges deer kill more people than every predator in the animal kingdom combined. The media pushes a provocative narrative to grab your attention. THAT'S THAT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The more fast cars a country has, the more road fatalities you will have.
    The more swimming pools a country has, the more likely people will drown.
    The more British soccer teams a country has, the more riots it will have."

... go on, complete the set... the more handguns you have in circulation the more... go on the mooore people will be shot and killed..

"I understand guns can be a public hazard. That's too bad. I feel sorry for anybody effected."

well good maybe youll feel sorry enough to look at some of their faces then and imagine what happened to them. too bad i guess! nothing to be done tho eh? too fucking bad? is your soul broken or something?
    btw the ones that arnt named were saved by the teacher on the left.

America and the need to own a weapon

"But let's assume the ban is indeed in order. Wouldn't you say the organization calling itself "the military" should have to be included too. This organization owns lots and lots and lots of assault rifles"

dont be so silly. is that really the best you can come up with? the difference is utility. there is a utility for the military, they attack our enemies and defend our borders. there is very little utility in every nutbag having easy access to guns. theres not a lot of good that comes from classrooms of little kids with their brains blown out.

i consider living in a country almost completely free from the scourge of handguns a much more positive freedom than the freedom you get from being able to shoot at eachother for whatever absurd quarrel you or they dreams up.
    maybe you dont realise just how nonexistent guns are here. you never see them. maybe the odd policeman at big train stations watching for bombers. thats it. unless youve pissed off a serious coke dealer, you are a seroius coke dealer or youre about to arrest a serious coke dealer, you wont see a gun for years at a time. one thing you can be pretty sure of each day, no one is you to shoot you. its great!

people who live in places where long guns are agricultural tools are clearly exempt. they dont bring them into the city any more than they bring their combine harvester. no one else needs guns apart from to defend against other people with guns or shoot people. take away guns and as the statistics you seem happy to ignore show, homicides decrease. less dead kids killed by psychos and a LOT less people killed at stoplights, hold ups, robberies, petty arguments.
    like crackheads youre trying to justify your contry's habit any way you can even in denial of the stats. sad.
    guns /= freedom they are a drug that makes you feel lethal, powerful, dangerous and strong. not good when people have to live together in huge cities one on top of the other practicing smoke on the water.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 14th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The more British soccer teams a country has, the more riots it will have."

wrong, the further the median age of the county' population is under 30, the more riots it will have. look it up if you dont believe me.

dont just talk and talk with your opinions, look up the actual facts. saves so much gabbing. and to anyone who says oh you can make statistics say anything i say yeah i guess you can prove anything with facts.

i think there are now so many guns in america, youll never be free of them, so you should buy them. you have no choice now. youre trapped with 300million guns and youre trying to convince yourselves its not a horrible problem but a wonderful symbol of freedom. you fear government oppressors, but you oppress yourselves. its an ongoing tragedy that breaks the surface of public consciousness after each school shooting before being pressed back down to fester again.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/fi...uns-and-death/

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide
    2. Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide.
    3. Across states, more guns = more homicide

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review).
    Our review of the academic literature found that a broad array of evidence indicates that gun availability is a risk factor for homicide, both in the United States and across high-income countries. Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US, where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide.
    Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature.Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.

We analyzed the relationship between homicide and gun availability using data from 26 developed countries from the early 1990s. We found that across developed countries, where guns are more available, there are more homicides. These results often hold even when the United States is excluded.
    Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries. Journal of Trauma. 2000; 49:985-88.

Using a validated proxy for firearm ownership, we analyzed the relationship between firearm availability and homicide across 50 states over a ten year period (1988-1997).
    After controlling for poverty and urbanization, for every age group, people in states with many guns have elevated rates of homicide, particularly firearm homicide.
    Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. Household firearm ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states, 1988-1997. American Journal of Public Health. 2002: 92:1988-1993.

4. Across states, more guns = more homicide (2)

Using survey data on rates of household gun ownership, we examined the association between gun availability and homicide across states, 2001-2003. We found that states with higher levels of household gun ownership had higher rates of firearm homicide and overall homicide. This relationship held for both genders and all age groups, after accounting for rates of aggravated assault, robbery, unemployment, urbanization, alcohol consumption, and resource deprivation (e.g., poverty). There was no association between gun prevalence and non-firearm homicide.
    Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. State-level homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003. Social Science and Medicine. 2007; 64:656-64.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 14th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Nobody cares when an icy road kills dozens of commuters.
    Well not in California they don't. Around here icy roads are a perennial hot topic, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat
    Most places in the States, it's not legal to plug somebody making off with your Xbox, either. I think Texas may be the only place you can legally fire at someone fleeing with your property.
    Well that's a relief. Sometimes it feels like Texas speaks for you all and that's not exactly reassuring.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VK- You seem to be under the impression that murder is a common event. It's not. Point to all the stats you like and I'll keep ignoring them. I live here, you don't. I grew up in a city with serious gang violence. I know much more about the subject from experience. I'm not making up excuses. I know prohibition only causes more violence. Assault rifles are only used in movies. Gang bangers use cheap throw away pistols from the black market. It's about 5 years a bullet if you get busted with one of those.
    Sandy Hook was a tragedy. But every once in a while a bus driver will get into wreck and kill all of the passengers. That's just as tragic. Should we ban buses.
    Many families of victims of these tragedies are against assault weapon bans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The more British soccer teams a country has, the more riots it will have."

wrong, the further the median age of the county' population is under 30, the more riots it will have. look it up if you dont believe me.

dont just talk and talk with your opinions, look up the actual facts. saves so much gabbing. and to anyone who says oh you can make statistics say anything i say yeah i guess you can prove anything with facts.

i think there are now so many guns in america, youll never be free of them, so you should buy them. you have no choice now. youre trapped with 300million guns and youre trying to convince yourselves its not a horrible problem but a wonderful symbol of freedom. you fear government oppressors, but you oppress yourselves. its an ongoing tragedy that breaks the surface of public consciousness after each school shooting before being pressed back down to fester again.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/fi...uns-and-death/

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide

1. Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review).
    Our review of the academic literature found that a broad array of evidence indicates that gun availability is a risk factor for homicide, both in the United States and across high-income countries. Case-control studies, ecological time-series and cross-sectional studies indicate that in homes, cities, states and regions in the US, where there are more guns, both men and women are at higher risk for homicide, particularly firearm homicide.
    Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature.Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.

We analyzed the relationship between homicide and gun availability using data from 26 developed countries from the early 1990s. We found that across developed countries, where guns are more available, there are more homicides. These results often hold even when the United States is excluded.
    Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries. Journal of Trauma. 2000; 49:985-88.

Using a validated proxy for firearm ownership, we analyzed the relationship between firearm availability and homicide across 50 states over a ten year period (1988-1997).
    After controlling for poverty and urbanization, for every age group, people in states with many guns have elevated rates of homicide, particularly firearm homicide.
    Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. Household firearm ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states, 1988-1997. American Journal of Public Health. 2002: 92:1988-1993.

4. Across states, more guns = more homicide (2)
    Using survey data on rates of household gun ownership, we examined the association between gun availability and homicide across states, 2001-2003. We found that states with higher levels of household gun ownership had higher rates of firearm homicide and overall homicide. This relationship held for both genders and all age groups, after accounting for rates of aggravated assault, robbery, unemployment, urbanization, alcohol consumption, and resource deprivation (e.g., poverty). There was no association between gun prevalence and non-firearm homicide.
    Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. State-level homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003. Social Science and Medicine. 2007; 64:656-64.
    Statistics are often ambiguous for a reason and can easily conform to any narrative if you leave out enough details. The gun fluctuation could easily be a response to the homicide rate or other factors as opposed to simply being the direct cause of it.

I know this might surprise you, but owning a gun doesn't make you wack-a-doo-batshit-trigger-happy; shooting anyone you please. A responsible gun owner will likely never have to discharge his/her firearm outside of a shooting range. That said, nasty people get a hold of weapons and want them more than anyone, that's just a fact. If we got rid of guns or instituted restrictions it wouldn't do much to change that fact. Maybe suicides or crimes of passion, but that's a big if.

Besides, according to some statistics gun related homicide and violent crime in general have actually gone down significantly over the past 20 years or so, but then again details are everything. This might be anything from better medical training to more ambulances, perhaps social changes might have something to do with it. *shrugs* Either way, things aren't necessarily as doom and gloom as the media likes to portray it, that's their job. School shootings are just a blip on the radar however tragic they may be.
    http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...-crime-1-2.png
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...sa-since-1990/

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; August 15th, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main thing that comes to mind with owning a gun 'small dick syndrome'. Makes you feel tough in that crazy world out there.

Seriously though, guns will always be there, so will mental people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Point to all the stats you like and I'll keep ignoring them. "

Mmm yeah see thats kind of the problem with america on a lot of issues isnt it?
    who cares about reality when youve got an opinion?

"
    Sandy Hook was a tragedy. But every once in a while a bus driver will get into wreck and kill all of the passengers. That's just as tragic. Should we ban buses."

nope we need buses, although we will make them all automatic and self driving.

"Besides, according to some statistics gun related homicide and violent crime in general have actually gone down significantly over the past 20 years or so"

vaguely alluding to something isnt the same as showing it to me. it carries no weight.

"
    The main thing that comes to mind with owning a gun 'small dick syndrome'. Makes you feel tough in that crazy world out there."

exactamundo. theyre a symbol that creates a powerful sense of being dangerous and able to control anyone to any idiot that picks one up. not good. people shouldnt be allowed, and i dont just mean by the law, but by the reality of the place they live, to just carry machine guns around. they shouldnt be available to anyone. the counter is always oh, well, theyll get them if they want them, wont they, ay? which ill address next.

"
    I know this might surprise you, but owning a gun doesn't make you wack-a-doo-batshit-trigger-happy; shooting anyone you please."

it doesnt surprise me at all, but spread enough of them around and as we;ve seen nutters and idiots will get them and shoot people at batman. am i wrong? you cant get a handgun here unless youre an armed cop or you know some seroiusly heavy people and can give them a great deal of money. and hide it, and if anyone sees it the cops immediately attack you with guns and if you live they lock you up... and thats just a pistol.. a machine gun? seriously? you might as well try and buy a nuclear bomb here. schoolkids the age of the ones at collumbine, the batman movie, sandyhook dont know hardened gangsters and dont have thousands in cash lying around. in america, you only need to sneak into your moms gunbox..

"
    None of this equals me or most of the people I know. Painting with a pretty broad stroke VK."

Bill to all americans who dont just ignore statistical analysis, who think machineguns are evil, god is imaginary, gays can marry if they want, the war on drugs failed and that women have the right to manage their own reproductive biology, i apologise. the rest of them? fuck em.
    i bring that up because a lot of republicans who love guns and say its their right to have one seem pretty happy to take away womens rights, and gay peoples rights, immigrants rights, poor peoples rights, the rights of future generations of people whod like not to live in a world wracked with climate problems... which kind of sinks their view below the waterline on rights rather.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 15th, 2013 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vaguely alluding to something isnt the same as showing it to me. it carries no weight.

>.>
    <.<
    You dropped this. : /
    It's no Harvard, but it'll do.

it doesnt surprise me at all, but spread enough of them around and as we;ve seen nutters and idiots will get them and shoot people at batman. am i wrong? you cant get a handgun here unless youre an armed cop or you know some seroiusly heavy people and can give them a great deal of money. and hide it, or they lock you up... schoolkids dont know hardened gangsters and dont have thousands in cash lying around. in america, you only need to sneak into your moms gunbox..

You're not wrong in that regard, there are some crazy fucks out there.
    But they're also isolated incidents. School shootings happen maybe every 6-8 years. That's nothing compared to how many kids we blow up overseas, but I don't see anyone mourning for them.
    It's pretty fucked.

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; August 15th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "That's nothing compared to how many kids we blow up overseas, but I don't see anyone mourning for them."

go overseas.
    remember that place thats not america? it exists! its massive! and its full of people worried the most powerful country on earth has gone insane and will eat itself and everyone else.
    what you do and say matters globally, and right now youre not doing a very inspiring job. at all.
    you used to be the good guys. everyone is sad about that.

"Point to all the stats you like and I'll keep ignoring them. "

insane.

that graph shows the rate of firearm death dropping from 7.0 in 93 to 3.6 in 2010. not exactly great as that still loads of people shot to death.
    it was actually part of a larger trend, the end of a huge spike in gun murders from the late 80s to the late 90s.
    it then settled back to what seems to have been the prevous rate.
    be interested to know whats going on there. you guys on the ground, what happened there?
    note the other lines are low and flat.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...weapon.svg.png

in 2010 it was 3.6 people per 100k. in the uk it was .05. thats 72 times less.

thats thousands of people a year of all ages getting their lives ended not randomly by some tragic accident, but because someone decided they should die. or someone near them or behind them should die.
    just get rid, its one less shitty thing in the world.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 15th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go overseas.
    remember that place called the rest of the world? that place thats not america? it exists!

NOW YOU LISTEN HERE YOU LIMEY RED-COAT COMMUNIST! THERE ARE ONLY TWO PLACES IN THE WORLD, 'MERICA, AND NOT 'MERICA! AND I KNOW YOU AIN'T SPEAKIN' NOOOO STARS N' STRIPES!
    I believe like 40 kids got blown up the same day Sandy Hook happened or maybe after, it got almost 0 coverage over here.
    It's a little different I figure, these things hit closer to home.
    in 2010 it was 3.6 people per 100k. in the uk it was .05. thats 72 times greater.
    note the other lines are low and flat.

thats thousands of people a year of all ages getting their lives ended. just get rid, its one less shitty thing in the world.
    If it wasn't handguns, it'd be something else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "NOW YOU LISTEN HERE YOU LIMEY RED-COAT COMMUNIST!"

hahaha FREEDOM IS THE ONLY WAY!!!

"If it wasn't handguns, it'd be something else."

No thats exactly my point. the data suggests it really wouldnt!
    idiots just punch bottle brick and stab eachother and other people, which is a lot more difficult to do fatally or in sprees.
    people are dicks all over, but not giving them guns is a good thing on the whole.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha FREEDOM IS THE ONLY WAY!!!
    Courtesy of everyone's favorite buddy UNCLE FUCKING SAM!

No thats exactly my point. the data suggests it really wouldnt!
    Handguns are pretty convenient for killing people though I think throwing an improvised explosive or a canister of mustard gas into a crowd of panicked people would be a lot more effective and far less costly. You know, for the more frugal mass murderers out there.(Considering that it'd be planned)
    I hear stabbing is more common in the UK. Get rid of the gang related gun violence and we're actually pretty close.

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; August 15th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep that sounds right. all other things pretty much are. we're both mature (in theory) democracies with broadly similar age demographics and wealth spectra. by banning and destroying all handguns you literally remove a big load of deaths with no other changes. its a win.
    except for people who make guns. but machinists of that caliber can make something else no problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep that sounds right. all other things pretty much are. we're both mature (in theory) democracies with broadly similar age demographics and wealth spectra. by banning and destroying all handguns you literally remove a big load of deaths with no other changes. its a win.
    except for people who make guns. but machinists of that caliber can make something else no problem.
    Therein lies my initial problem with gun control.
    There are a whole lot of guns out there, a whole lot of people unwilling to hand them over, and a HUGE profit margin for the illegal gun trade.
    Prohibition almost never works, mind you. And I assure you, the vast majority of those who commit most of these homicides never had any intentions of registering their guns to begin with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prohibition almost never works, mind you.

youre imagining its some theoretical concept, even after seeing the us gun ( i keep writing gnu) murder rate was 72 x that of the uk where they are prohibited. it works fine.
    the us tho has had so many guns for so long youre right youre stuck with them forever. gutted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

youre imagining its some theoretical concept, even after seeing the us gun ( i keep writing gnu) murder rate was 72 x that of the uk where they are prohibited.
    Good for Brittan. You guys don't like guns, we get it. That's not our thing. I don't have a gun. I don't want one for that matter. I appreciate that I have the choice though. It's worth it to us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

youre imagining its some theoretical concept, even after seeing the us gun ( i keep writing gnu) murder rate was 72 x that of the uk where they are prohibited. it works fine.
    the us tho has had so many guns for so long youre right youre stuck with them forever. gutted.
    Yes, well, there was this little thing that started in 1971 called the "War on Drugs" that continues to ravage our pockets and foreign lands to this day. Fueling the violence of street gangs like wildfire, filling our prisons and the wallets of cartels alike, I think it's fair to say that it was a HUGE success, right?

There was also that thing in the 1920's, the prohibition era? Yeah, we all know how that panned out.
    Considering the other previous IMMENSELY successful attempts at prohibition I would have to say that it would be a huge waste of time, money, and resources.
    Because if there's one thing America's infatuated with more than drugs or booze, that would have to be its guns. I'm not a fan of it. I absolutely abhor guns, but I know the consequences of prohibition.

I think you're a smart guy, I can see where this idealism comes from, but I just can't agree with you on this one.

Last edited by HarbingerofIllRepute; August 15th, 2013 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh. The UK has two times more violent crime per capita than the US. Oh, but it's not gun crime. Yay for getting glassed in the face!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the uk also has a different definition of violent crime leading to a distorted comparison. look it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know. Using the oranges-to-apples comparison, the UK has five times the violent crime. Attempting to impose the same definition brings it to two times. Not remembering where I read that, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a lot of homicide using guns that were not legally obtained. if you say ok now all guns are illegal you only take the weapons away from people who are licensed and legal to own them. criminals still obtain weapons anyway illegally regardless. Its like drugs they will always be around no matter what. making guns illegal wont make them go away.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.