Thanks

Making friends with a random stranger in the middle of the night?

I was in mc donald's buying a drink and sketching some things in the restaurant. Then I saw another older dude, happens to be doing the same thing. So I thought cool another artist, so I decided to just chat with the person to kill some time. We end up talking for 3 hours, the guy then asked to change information so we can chat some more and wanted to see if he can meet up at the same time around midnight. And that kind of struck me uncomfortably, so I just told him probably better sometime through the day or just chat through the email.

I felt that was pretty weird, why would some random stranger would just ask that? Do some people make friends like that? I don't think he is gay but I guess I felt intimidated because this person is much older than me.

Or im just overthinking
    Last edited by PeteJ; August 12th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well I can't speak for that older dude, since it wasn't me, but
    personally I tend to end up in long conversations with total strangers quite a lot.
    Thing is, for me it usually ends after that one single conversation and I go my own way.
    Feeling enriched by the experience, and kind of hoping a little the other person feels the same way.
    Although they might just think that I'm a total weirdo haha.
    I did end up with friends that way although I lost some of them over time, them and me being in other countries and such.
    I think you're overthinking somewhat, but you just gotta do what feels comfortable to you.
    If you figure, what the hell, meet the man again. If you feel that it's going too fast or getting too
    close in your personal space, well, then that was it.

Life's a surprising adventurous ride, if you keep an open mind. Have a good one.
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    It's not completely unreasonable that someone you met at midnight might want to meet again at midnight. Maybe that is the only time he has free.

Or maybe he wants to kill you and make a little hat out of your skin. Who knows. If you meet him again, do it in a public place.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Drawing in Starbucks after work is how I have met many of my current friends. They usually come over and ask me about what I'm working on... usually they are artists as well... or photographers/designers/writers/directors/etc...

Thanks
    During college I used to attend alot of gigs, and oftentimes I would meet people at those gigs who I would chat to pre show/ have a couple of drinks with and then that was it, I guess it is like having a one night stand, it is what it is.
    A word of caution, if you do meet this guy do so in the day time in a busy public location.

Be safe

Thanks
    I have a habit of doing something like that myself. Especially if it someone i am starting to like. Just meet him at the same place.

Thanks
    The thing is: Im a straight guy, and this person is also a straight guy(or so it seems)
    That didn't feel normal. I never met anyone making platonic friends that way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    It's not completely unreasonable that someone you met at midnight might want to meet again at midnight. Maybe that is the only time he has free.

Or maybe he wants to kill you and make a little hat out of your skin. Who knows. If you meet him again, do it in a public place.
    Wow that little hat thing made me laugh hahahahhahaah.
    But yeah! Life is a mystery. Personally, I -love- when random encounters like this occur. But definitely be safe!!!
    And maybe he is on here feeling ashamed as he reads about how we are warning you to be careful. He is an artist too, after all.
    sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'