Sketchbook: Dina's sketchbook for y'all to enjoy

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dina's sketchbook for y'all to enjoy

Hey there, I'm a very lazy art student from Spain. I'm not exactly sure where I want to take my art yet, but I love graphic novels and painting pretty girls in pretty dresses.

I'm 18 years old right now and I started painting last year but since I'm lazy as hell I might have done like twelve unfinished paintings in the full year. Now I'm trying to learn the basics of color theory and anatomy.

I've been sketching in my class notebooks for a long time but only began to take art seriously as a career last year. I'd like to focus on learning proper anatomy.

Please critique me so I can improve my skills! Be ruthless!

--------------------------------------------------------------

October 2014 update: Wow, so much has changed about me. I am a professional illustrator now, and "lazy" is the last word I'd ever use to describe myself. I guess something clicked along the way.

Name:  oldmanthumbnail.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  353.0 KB

Last edited by Dina2342; October 4th, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting to know that strange thing called "texture". Apparently, every object in the world isn't made of the same stuff!
    Name:  Ejercicio4.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  300.6 KB

Last edited by Dina2342; August 13th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two color sketches, the first one from imagination and the second one from a photo reference.

Name:  whiteballoonsandtutusmall.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  152.5 KB
    Name:  magicalswing.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  194.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some 90 second poses and a portrait. She looks a little sick, I suck at painting skin Back to the apples and oranges.

Name:  Poses90seg1.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  358.0 KB
    Name:  Ejercicio5.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  147.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cartoon versions of the Flashman and John Carter covers. I think everybody should put a little Flashman in their lives!

Name:  johncarter.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  325.7 KB
    Name:  flashmancover.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  203.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really have some great sketches, and good eye for color and form. great start to your sketchbook, looking forward to see more

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stranger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin J Intarat View Post
    You really have some great sketches, and good eye for color and form. great start to your sketchbook, looking forward to see more
    Thanks Martin! You got me motivated to draw more sketches!

I tried the 60-second poses after I noticed I always got a few seconds left on the 90's. Bad idea, these are so hard! How do people even manage with 30? Am I putting too much detail into these? Too little?

Name:  Ejercicio6.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  330.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again Dina! Love that Flashman drawing. It's funny seeing that cover together with John Carter since Flashman's such an anti-hero. I've only read the first book, but my brother's a huge fan of the series and is constantly updating me on what trouble Flashy's got himself into this time.

Oh and there was something I forgot to mention in your Crit thread - your issue of "dirty" skin comes down to low saturation in the midtones and shadows. Light skin is partially transparent, so as light travels through it we can actually see that happen from the exterior, and it creates a warm orange glow. It's called subsurface scattering and it's the same effect that you see when you hold your hand up to a bright light and the skin between your fingers glow orange. In the context of painting skin, that means you want to add a bit of orange on the terminator line and warm up the shadows a bit as well. (Here's a tutorial with a lot of great tips that also has a quick illustration of this point in particular: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#hues )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Your issue of "dirty" skin comes down to low saturation in the midtones and shadows. Light skin is partially transparent, so as light travels through it we can actually see that happen from the exterior, and it creates a warm orange glow.
    I honestly thought everything in shade should always be super-desaturated. I watched in awe as my skin gained a third dimension with the orange glow and the saturation! Thanks for the explanation

I have a long way to go before I can paint skin that looks natural, but I think today I gave a step in the right direction. I should probably start studying fabric too...

Name:  ejercicio7.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  113.5 KB

Last edited by Dina2342; August 14th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funnily, light skin is usually most desaturated or cool in the lit areas. In outdoor settings in particular, the lit areas of skin with take on a bluish hue (except when in direct bright sunshine), but we don't notice it because the values are so light. Also keep in mind that the color of skin changes depending on how thick the skin is and what is below. Fleshy areas (like the thighs, upper arms, stomach and hips, cheeks, butt, etc) will be warmer and have more saturated terminator lines than areas with bone directly beneath (like back of the feet and hands, knees, elbows, forehead, etc). Varying the color temperature throughout the face and body can really help make the figure feel natural and organic and less like a doll with a rubber skin that's all one color.

Here's a post by James Gurney about varying the color temperature of the face: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.nl/200...s-of-face.html He's just talking about the face there, but it's the same general principle behind varying the color temperature of skin throughout the body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all thanks for the good words that you left at my sketchbooks ^^ .
    You have a really good looking sketchbook. I really like the digital painting from imagination of a blonde girl. The painting has a really pleasant mood. About the female head you tried to paint. Don't expect amazing results in the beggining, skin colour is a really tricky matter and it takes time to start getting the right colors without color-picking them from the reference. I would advice you to keep drawing fruits and vegetables but try to find images that have more than one dominant color. (For example your first study has only red color in it. find ones that have more colors). You said you're an art student ? If so i gues that you should have classes in traditional painting, which helps A LOT to get a good understanding of color.
    Oh and when you're going to do a painting of a human or whatever but especially in portrait paintings you should really focus on having a really good linework, so that you focus on the painting itself rather than on a lot of things at once.
    And if you really really want to become an artist one day, don't ever stop ! And know that - work hard because somewhere, someone works harder than you, shoot for the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ivan4oto: Thanks for stopping by! I had traditional painting classes last year but I'm ashamed to admit I mostly wasted them. When I arrived on the first day I had never picked up a brush before and everybody else had been painting for 5-10 years. The teacher simply ignored me for the most part and spent all her time with the most advanced students, and I was too shy to interrupt her to ask for help. We switched teachers midway trough the year and the new one was much more helpful though. Next year they're going to ask me to paint live models with real paint and I'm really scared, I barely managed to pass last year and I don't want to waste the classes again.

I'm going to so some still lives from life tomorrow with real paint, which I handle a lot worse than digital. Let's see how they turn out

Dierat: Here's my new attempt. I think this one looks a little more natural. I want to really thank you, you have no idea just how helpful you're being! I know it's far from perfect but a week ago I though this level of "realism" was actually years ahead of me

Name:  Ejercicio9 .jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  94.8 KB

Last edited by Dina2342; August 16th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The attachment's not showing up for me D: And no problem for the info; this is the kind of thing that I wish people talked about more often. It's easy to get anatomical critique, but color is harder to get a hold of for some reason.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    The attachment's not showing up for me D:
    I re-uploaded it, is it working now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! I see the backgrounds add a lot in the way of mood. Some good reading concerning the use of color too, thanks for the tip.

If you're interested, here are some of the sources I've used during my studies (although I'm a complete rookie when it comes to color theory...)

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=148355
    I found links to both over at http://www.sycra.net/, so they deserve a link too, of course. They've got plenty of other cool stuff too.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, I can see it now!

I think you're definitely headed in the right direction. It's warmer than your earlier studies but it also has more variance of saturation than your last one. I think adding varying color temperature would help as well, adding some blue or yellow depending on what area of the body it is and what kind of light that area is receiving. That will make the skin feel more organic and emphasize the warmth of the skin through contrast. Also giving your light source a color can add another dimension of realism as well as having a secondary color from an atmospheric light or bouncing off the evironment. (I know I mentioned that in one of your crit threads but I think it bears repeating.)

In this particular image, I think you could intensify the lighting to push the values on the figure. You have a nice contrast between the figure and the environment (framing the figure with dark hair and attire also really helps), but there is very little value range on the skin's surface. You have a hard cast shadow on the arm but nowhere else and no dark form shadows. It's hard to play up the saturation from the subsurface scattering effect if you don't have a strong light to produce that effect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see your new start here, looking forward for often updates from you , especially the girls

OH, and DON'T BE LAZY !!!! WORK HARD, STUDY SMART !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matija Vuk: Thanks for stopping by! Here's one more quick study of a girl.
    Dierat: I did this before reading your last post, I'm off to do some more studies with varying temperature and secondary colors... also I want to try different skin tones but I fear that it might be too difficult since I'm not used to seeing them and I can't reference from real life (I took an habit of looking and my skin every time I'm under different light conditions to see how it changes).

Name:  Ejercicio10.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  68.4 KB

Last edited by Dina2342; August 19th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! As it turns out, I'm not dead just had very little contact with computers for almost a month now. I've drawn a lot and painted very little due to lack of supplies. I'm getting into anatomy now so expect a lot of studies. In a few days I'll start my classes again so they're going to have me painting naked ladies and dudes in class with REAL PAINT! So scary!

Here's some figure drawings from imagination trying to use the box method. It... it works!

Name:  randomposes1.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  281.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great, keep it up! My only suggestion is that it might be helpful to work in some gesture studies as well that focus more on the overall shape the figure is making so you can also work on balance and dynamic, expressive poses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something to let you guys know I'm not dead! =)

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two portraits from imagination. I think the redhead guy is the most solid painting I've ever made, and it only took like 20 minutes tops. Sadly I couldn't do the same with the other one, which took like three hours and it's not nearly as good. God I suck so hard I can't even copy myself properly =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man some great sketches here! I love those characters in post 21 sweet stuff man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Toshi: Thanks for stopping by! =D

Here's some more sketches and a little painting. All from imagination. I'm having fun while drawing again. What else could I ask for? =)

Btw... That's not a fancy paper texture in overlay mode... I'm really THAT messy when drawing. Believe it or not I used my charcoal eraser because my backpack with the clean one was on the other room. I need a new brain...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your art is really cute! ^_^ I'm looking forward to see more.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more sketches from imagination plus two little figures from Singin' in the Rain I couldn't resist drawing when the video popped up in my playlist.

I'm working mainly on line economy (a huuuuge problem of mine, my teacher says my drawings are trapped in wool thread), cleanness and gesture these days. These are actually for school. When I finish I'll get 100% set on anatomy.

I guess I'm not the only one but when I try to make an anatomically correct drawing it turns out stiff, and when I try to make a very expressive drawing it doesn't have any kind of structure. I feel I've been able to balance the two in some of the sketches here (taking into account my poor knowledge of anatomy), but ultmately I'm only able to focus on one or the other. Any tips on dealing with this?

Cristina: Thanks! Your comment made me happy =)! Check out your SB I made a little paintover for ya!

Last edited by Dina2342; December 26th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 2,488 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I have a feeling like I was here before, but I wasn’t. Or was I? My mind is in a
    terrible state lately. You are young with a new fresh sketchbook, lots of potential
    with a bright future. Faith have promised you a big success, now all you need to
    do is not to give up on your drawings and paintings. As I am looking at your
    graphite drawings I am telling to myself; “this is the way I want to draw” cause
    you have this style that I very much like, and I like the way you do the exaggerations
    on your sketches. Those digital portraits are looking cool in the post #22, the only
    thing that looks maybe wrong is the hair, you have problem with the hair placement
    on the heads, so it looks like a bit off, like they are wearing wigs. Other than that
    you are on the right track to become a superstar, just keep on posting and evolving.
    Thank you for your kindness to visit my book, I wish you all the best for the holidays.

Sketchbook
    [last update; 12th September 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    DeviantArt
    blog

...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lt. Plissken: You have no idea how happy this made me! When I look at my drawings I think "I'm getting close to the way I want to draw". One of my biggest influences has been the french comic book artist Denis Bodart. Also I love watching Will Terrell's videos on youtube. Oh, and this italian guy. They're all able to put so much love and expression into their drawings, it makes me happy just to look at them. I want to be able to do that too someday. If you're into this style they might be of your liking!

You're right about the hair, I have trouble rendering different materials in general, everything looks the same: putty

I wasn't able to draw much today but here's the best of it anyway. Did I mention I love superheroes? Here's Tony Stark, Thor and the pretty little Wasp (I was so sad she wasn't in the new Avengers movie! I love her!) From imagination, as always.

Last edited by Dina2342; December 27th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some nice figures here, keep nailing it, once you get the hang of 3d form drawing, it will be so much easier for you through your whole art career.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, some cool progress here. I especially like the sketches posts 24 to 28. It looks like you had a lot of fun with those.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook