Art: Orc pig man thing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Orc pig man thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Orc pig man thing

Working on my rendering and trying to get some more depth across in my work, please, some tips and help on getting better depth and the like would be much appreciated!
    the work is a paint over of one of my orc sketches from the orc thread and my inspiration was guys like Promethus and John Mueller and Dark Horizon.

Painting:

Initial Sketch:

PS:yes, the teeth/tusk suck.

Tastes like eye candy
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    already told ya my thoughts on the jaw... other then that I love how you finished off the skin. Mmmmmmmmm slimey flesh :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those look really awsome...great job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you're on a good way ! continue like that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice rendering, but for some reason, the top, colored one seems like a relief sculpture. While there is a good feeling of three dimensions, there isn't the feeling that the head is actually roundish (with the nose being at the same distance from the viewer as the cheek). Maybe it's the structure of the cheek and eye, because it all seems to be correct upon close examination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I don't have anything to say about it that hasn't been said. It's a great piece with a couple of minor depth and anatomy problems. It's damn good considering how, apart from skinning, you've only done two or three paintings like this over the years.

Your depth problem probably lies with the fact that you're primarily a game texture artist, a medium where everything is supposed to be flat or in relief.

But anyway: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: < These are awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey~!!! thanks everyone

does anybody have any cool elaboration and run rambling on what i can do to make it more depthfull?

samurai: yea, but this even tho it is star trek i think is pretty cool, the red disapears, wtfCOOL

Tastes like eye candy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the white outline in the first picture, flattens the head A LOT. I would get rid of it, and maybe replace it with bold white paint strokes going diagonal, or just nothing. I like crazy tooth and shading

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey HyPer,
    I think the reason why your picture is missing depth, is that the average luminance value isn't varying enough. You modeled the orc in detail but not in overall. I did an overpaint to explain:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Does he have teeth on the bottom of his tongue? if so... never seen that before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

your iusse on depth

hey cool idea depth is easier to get and under stand by using a pose that isn't profile is hard try somthing like 3 quarters good luck

Inspiration come from seeing others create[I][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya, thanks again everyone.

sketch: yes! its the new model of orc with the teeth on the bottom of the tongue, SWEET

smabee: yea, i thought about that afterwards, i figured that profile probably wasnt the best way to go to get it 3d looking

hermchen: i can see some difference that helps with depth, biggest thing being the darker underside of the jaw, in my version everything is relatively that exact tone, so it all looks like its in on the same angle or something, which doesnt help

i think more importantly where i went wrong was with the muiscle on the neck for example, where the lightsource just stays the same across it and has dark hard edges on the left and right of it, i should have had a bright edge on one side and dark on the otherside, especialy near the bottom.
    things like that

Tastes like eye candy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I look at it, it looks like the jaw and the upper head are facing different directions. It looks like you can see under the jaw a little bit, so the head is facing away from us... but then the upper portion of the head is slightly facing towards us. You could cut off the upper right portion of the head at that fat dark red diagonal line between the fang and the ear... and render it as if he were lookin away from camera, because the lower portion of this drawing has plenty of depth it just needs to be continued in the correct direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hypahahahrryaha. As i mentioned on icq, the edges dont feel like they turn at all - and thats probably due to that white border, and the contrast of the edges-sillouette of the model to the background. All of your edges are consistently sharp and really crisp too - which works when something is flat, but not when showing depth. did a little paintover:

hacked out that white border, added some shadows to make the face seem less flat in profile, and some other tweaks. After looking at it for a while, the brow-nose area didnt look like how a head should (even on a fantasy char), it looked like a skin. maybe its the angle of it, but it didnt make much sense to meh eye.

you've meticulously detailed this sucker, heh i think its badass and kinda cool flat. but if you want to experiment with more depth, mo powah to ya! do some mo foo. i do like the white border though, adds some cool flair, despite itnot "turning" properly

Last edited by moose; July 27th, 2004 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man that is just sick....
    I am going to have nightmares now.,...
    But i like it...good job
    ________
    volcano digital vaporizer

Last edited by tgfx; January 18th, 2011 at 06:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what someone else was saying about the average luminance not varying enough or whatever. Anyway, Im sure you know what a basic key lit sphere looks like and you know the theory- i think you just need to be more agressive about how your light source affects the head as a whole.
    Heres my botched attempt, i dodged and burned it to shit and screwed up all your color values but i hope you get what im saying. Wish i could have done a better job, but im still learning myself.

This concept rocks btw. The ears are very cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some things that flattens it is the dark cheekbone shadow (in the middle of the main shape), the eye pointing at the viewer and the gradients that pretty much stops at the same value regardless of where it is on the overall shape.
    Consider the 'mother shape' more when you pick a value.

The sphere in the post above illustrates this, however, it goes to white, which probably will be bad for your color identity (which works pretty well on your painting).
    It's better to use shadows to describe shapes than to keep pushing hilites, I think.

Speculars can be used to, and remember even dull surfaces look a little different from different angles. You often get a hilite where the 'normal' of the plane allows a bounce from the lightsource. Sometimes edge planes will be a bit darker even if you think the lightsource should light it.

I've made a habit of using blue speculars on planes pointing up, to suggest a sky reflecting.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hyper. nice seeing you and your art around. i remember you from the polycount days

i think about the main problem everything has been said - i just wanted to add that it seems to be a skinners' problem
    we are used to work out detail while the game does the major shadowing of the figure. now, with painting, we have to learn to get the large planes of light and shadow done before falling in detail frenzy just what prom said about the "mother shape".

maybe adding some reflected light to the shadows helps, too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.