C.O.W. #300. Biodiverse Colony Creatures - WIPs Thread - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woooo GoldenSerpent is back! Good to see ya around, even if it's just crits.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Warrior. I'm so close to throwing in the towel. I just have no clue how I'm gonna finish these. Aside from a couple all nighters. Work and life are getting in the way of fun!

Name:  warrior-ss.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  133.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSerpent View Post
    @Moirae
    The shell collapsing under it's weight isn't coming through to me right now, what material is it made out of? Maybe you could have the bottom area look almost like one of those sand drip castles maybe even have some pieces oozing of?
    I was sort of going for a hermit shell twisty design, but wanted it to look like a mud dauber hive or swift's nest. (the kind made out of dried saliva and other things built up in layers and far from symmetrical in most cases.) My original idea was that it would be built by the builders (who use the dried spit technique. I'm sure there is a technical name for it.) but thought that would be more of an accessory, so went with the idea that it has been built upwards in awkward stages as the creatures grow. Should I give it more of a sandy texture or something do you think? Like a termite mound?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneseeker View Post
    Warrior. I'm so close to throwing in the towel. I just have no clue how I'm gonna finish these. Aside from a couple all nighters. Work and life are getting in the way of fun!
    Don't quit now! You're so close to finish! Judging from your most recent posts, your creatures appear a little bit flat and they lack gradient. You can change that the same way you added textures: add a layer mask with overlay, pick a large, soft brush and highlight important areas with light colors while pushing insignificant ones back with darker colors (remember color temperature and surroundings!). Doing this on an overlay layer also adds extra color to the otherwise gray-ish creatures.

It's a super quick method for adding some last minute touches. Here's an example, I used blue and purple for shadows and orange for highlights:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 785 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    stoneseeker, why dont you try what I did? start on the final render and finish the creatures in that. it's definitely got me back into it.

here's where I'm at. still need to add the harvesters, mostly on the top. and there's a lot of depth and stuff to be added, but im getting there.

Name:  thumbbuildupc.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  768.3 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eep, Everyone has progressed so far so quickly. Not sure if this has been asked already but maybe some might need some more time. How's everyone doing?

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbinn View Post
    Don't quit now! You're so close to finish! Judging from your most recent posts, your creatures appear a little bit flat and they lack gradient. You can change that the same way you added textures: add a layer mask with overlay, pick a large, soft brush and highlight important areas with light colors while pushing insignificant ones back with darker colors (remember color temperature and surroundings!). Doing this on an overlay layer also adds extra color to the otherwise gray-ish creatures.

It's a super quick method for adding some last minute touches. Here's an example, I used blue and purple for shadows and orange for highlights:

Dude! I love what you did with it with such a simple fix. It makes it pop so much more. Your causing me to realize I am rendering way to equally across the painting. I should be choosing a focal point and keeping the rest looser, I am rushing these and not thinking enough. Thanks for the great tips, I'm gonna go and apply that tip to all them now and then see if I can find time to do the rest with less rendering the needless stuff to save time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  COW300f.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  821.0 KB

ugh. so close, and still so much to do. is there a particular timezone the deadline is set to, or can I just say whatever, and use my Saturday night?

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Timezone is GMT-4 EST...

to make it easier, at this time (approx 4:00 for me give or take a few minutes) which means deadline is about 32 hours from now...

I may give a little bit of a grace period after deadline, I'm only gonna make that decision close to deadline to see how everyone's doing. No matter what the new topic will be up tomorrow night.

Last edited by Rob Powell; September 6th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's where I'm at now. All line drawings/designs done except Miner. Only 4 are painted.
    Did the tweaks Arbinn suggested to the existing creatures I had finsihed to keep things consistent... I'll post the results of that plus the lineart I have finished. Just gotta design the Miner now, and then try to see if I can paint them all before tomorrow night! I'll be pushing it if I finish, but either way a rad exercise.

Name:  taskmaster.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  breeder.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  183.1 KB

Name:  hunter.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  scout.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  warrior-ss.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  127.3 KB

Name:  builder-ss.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  153.8 KB

Name:  healerfix-ss.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  155.8 KB

Name:  Monarch-ss.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  133.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go go go Stone! Looking awesome!

Name:  lizzard_colony_final.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  364.3 KB

Gonna be a late night xD

Personal Blög - About my life as a game designer, wannabe artist and feminist!
    Sketchböök - I love to draw! Feedback is always welcome!
    Twitter - Join me and talk game development!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's it! I've had enough! I've posted my final up and am finally free of little yellow frogs.

Good luck everyone, I'm looking forward seeing the results. From this thread over the past month it looks like its going to be one hell of a round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moirae: Congrats on getting it done!

Just gonna throw this here before I sleep. I'm gonna try adding some detail in tomorrow, clean it up a tad. do some diagrams for her like the others and if there's time do a diagram of their environment.

Name:  Monarch-preview.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  607.3 KB

Last edited by Tchuk; September 6th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I'm submitting my piece to the "finals"-thread now : ) I wanted to create a bigger. new illustration, but after working all night on it, I decided to refine my original "zoo"-image showing my lizards next to each other.

Just wanted to take the time to give you all a big thank you! This was my first COW ever, and nine creatures was a lot of work, but I'm happy I made it. Thank you all who gave me feedback, who commented on my lizards, helped out or just posted awesome inspiring art in this thread! You rock!

Stoneseeker I love your small creatures. They look so cute, like something from a Gibli movie!

Ashess Dude, the perspective in your final image is neat! I think the concept of ocean snakes is very original. Keep it up!

Rob Thank you for running this competition! I've looked trough your art book, and you have developed so much! Inspiring!

GoldenSerpent I'm sure everyone is appreciating the time you put into giving feedback < 3 < 3

ArbinYour loose forms and use of color gives you a very unique style! Looking very sweet ^^

Tchuk Very nice work! Your creatures look very solid and believable to me : D Very nice work!

MoriaeLove your style! Your creatures are both nasty and very imaginative! May I suggest you try to get more sharp edges into your images? It has a tendency to look very very smooth. Keep it up!

Alkan Don't give up, practice makes perfect, and I've learned tons myself from this competition.

bchaffin Nice creature design! The jelly-fish-like creatures idea was very fresh and original : D

Grotski Maybe next time? : )

Si_Swe Thank you for sharing your technique earlier! Hope to see your works in the "final"-thread soon!

JanJager How did it go with the bunnies? The rabbit far out to the right made me laugh xD

DefiledVisions Will you post anything in the finals-thread? : D

Dayle Nice of you to stop by!

Christoffer How did it go? Did you finish your designs?

JsscSprngr Nice experimenting! Did you make any final image?

scorge I love your use of color ^^

BansheeSix Very nice design and cool use of color. I would love to see your final image : D Your creatures look a bit like advanced Pokémons to me : )

b.cesar Nice job! May I suggest you mix some sharp brush strokes into your work? Right now everything looks a bit too soft.

Killer Napkins Nice sketches. Did you make any more creature concepts? I'm curious xD

MrSun How did it go with your creatures?

aberrant85 Yours Bushmen looked so nice! I loved the face expression of the Emperor, looking at the healer xD Are you gonna submit it to the finals?

tsabu Did you make any more creatures?

Matija5850 Hey! Did you make any more creatures?

EllisQU How did it go? Did you make any more insects? : )

Alex Parent
    You are never "too noob", just give it your best shot and participate in the next round! I consider myself a noob, and I still learned tons from doing this COW 300 : D

Personal Blög - About my life as a game designer, wannabe artist and feminist!
    Sketchböök - I love to draw! Feedback is always welcome!
    Twitter - Join me and talk game development!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nextra- congratulations on finishing! love the colors of m all. and yeah; a whole illustration is really still a lot of work huh? haha. glad I started on it when I hit my first dry spell. hell, sorry I didnt start on it as soon as I did. could use those extra days now!

aah, and ye im pretty happy with the perspective on mine thanks ^^
    im almost done with all the creatures. now I just need to push the values. maybe show a scout with a warning light. or maybe I'll have the light on when it's save. that'd make things easier. and also, it would make sense. its not like my creatures require stealth. they eat sea-weed, and if predators come by, well they might hide in their structures, but they will not flee...

Name:  COW300f.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  529.0 KB

Last edited by ashess; September 7th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nextra, sadly no, I don't have time to finish

hey everyone, just dropping by to say that I won't be finishing. Started school this week and just didn't find the time to continue painting this. I thought I'd atleast show the sketch before throwing in the towel.

Here's my final composition, throwing the different creatures of the colony, with the monarch in the middle. Really wish I didn't get swamped with schoolwork from day 1. Good luck everyone!

Name:  defiledvisionscow300-finallineworksmall.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  301.6 KB

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad DefiledVisions. I hope you find time to attend the future rounds! The sketch looks great, but it's a little bit busy and difficult to read. What are you studying?

I'm almost finished. All my creatures are pretty much done, but I'm still going to spend 2-4 hours on the monarch. That has to wait till midnight though since I've already worked on the topic all day and I really need to take a break for few hours. Even though everything is coming together I'm worried about the final presentation. The monarch is going to be its own illustration, but I still need to put the others together and come up with some kind of simple background for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DefiledVisions: Yeah, have to agree. Such a shame you couldn't make it. I love the sketch, wish I'd thought of it, looks like it would've turned out beautifully. Hopefully you'll finish it up at a later date?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Arbinn, thanks! I agree that it looks a bit busy. I was planning on fixing that with atmosphere and contrast so things appear to be placed differently in space to give it a more pleasant read. I've started studying a program called "Game Art" at a school called The Game Assembly here in Sweden. Its main focus is 3d graphics, so they won't really delve into 2d. But hey, that's what conceptart.org is for! I haven't done any 3d before, so I'm excited and I feel it can really help me understand form in completely new ways and level up my paintingskills. So far it's really good. The only tough thing is we have 8-9hour days, every day, which is a bit exhausting right now. But I'll get used to it and so far I'm loving every minute of it. Looking forward to getting back into creating regularly again.

I've really been liking your work in this round. Looking forward to see it in the finals!

Tchuk, thank you! yeah, I'd definitely want to finish it some day. I'd really like to pick out some of the designs I have and make stand-alone illustrations with them.

I've really been liking your work too. I love how you present your concepts with a fleshed out render, and some smaller simpler concepts explaining your creature. As for the latest wip of the monarch, I think the striped details around the head take too much attention from the whole. You should soften them down a bit and lower their contrast so they don't stick out so much. Good luck in the finals

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work, guys. Too bad you don't have time to finish, Defiledvisions. Those are some killer sketches.

Nextra - Nope. :p Seems a whole month just isn't enough for me to finish in time. Been out of the game for too long. Letting my personal issues get in the way doesn't help either.
    Congratulations on finishing up. I saw your final piece and I couldn't quite make out the monarch as they all have the same size and are pushed together on one canvas. It's importance to the colony would've been better emphasised if it had its own illustration. They all still look very nice, though, especially since you've given them so much color. For a first try at COW, you've done a great effort. Very fun to follow you progress and your dedication is inspiring.

I've made a couple more sketches. Trying a different presentation.
    Hopefully this topic gets more leeway so I can finish up. I just need to focus more.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn deviled. the creatures look great. just with a little more space and a few differences in shade i'd think you could turn it in.

just called mine finished btw. its not really, but I cant really look at it any longer right now :/
    beat!

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post
    Tchuk, thank you! yeah, I'd definitely want to finish it some day. I'd really like to pick out some of the designs I have and make stand-alone illustrations with them.

I've really been liking your work too. I love how you present your concepts with a fleshed out render, and some smaller simpler concepts explaining your creature. As for the latest wip of the monarch, I think the striped details around the head take too much attention from the whole. You should soften them down a bit and lower their contrast so they don't stick out so much. Good luck in the finals
    Sounds good man, I'd love to see it when it's complete!

And yeah I think you were right. Just saw your comment as I was putting the finishing touches on it so caught it just in time. Thanks

Ashess I feel your pain! I just handed mine in too and genuinely had to sit down and listen to this to really appreciate it:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tchuck- lol. what the hell was that? are you trying to retro me into feeling good? haha. anyway, yours look great to me. just oozes all the work you put in there. and it really pays.

I lied btw. just fixed mine 2ce again. and now imma going to bed. that way I cant look at it and fix it more :p

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DefiledVisions View Post
    Arbinn, thanks! I agree that it looks a bit busy. I was planning on fixing that with atmosphere and contrast so things appear to be placed differently in space to give it a more pleasant read. I've started studying a program called "Game Art" at a school called The Game Assembly here in Sweden. Its main focus is 3d graphics, so they won't really delve into 2d. But hey, that's what conceptart.org is for! I haven't done any 3d before, so I'm excited and I feel it can really help me understand form in completely new ways and level up my paintingskills. So far it's really good. The only tough thing is we have 8-9hour days, every day, which is a bit exhausting right now. But I'll get used to it and so far I'm loving every minute of it. Looking forward to getting back into creating regularly again.
    Sounds great! 2D will help you a lot if you delve into 3D. When I started doing 3D I found that the only difficulty was to learn how to use the new software. After that the 2D knowledge kicked in and the models were surprisingly easy to make. I started studying games art (or rather, game development) here in Finland 4 years ago. It was the first programme of its kind and we were the prototype students. Sadly we weren't really taught art that much since the focus was on developing games in small teams. We had graphic courses, but those were mostly theory and we got no homework or anything. If you wanted to improve your art skills you had to study after school. I stopped participating in CA activities almost completely after the first uni year because, like you, we had 8-hour days and I kept thinking that my skills would improve enough during those hours.

Last edited by Arbinn; September 7th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just spamming a little bit to let people know that I'm still in! I'm writing the descriptions and will upload the finals very soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbinn View Post
    Just spamming a little bit to let people know that I'm still in! I'm writing the descriptions and will upload the finals very soon!
    ME TOOOOOO!!! I will be done within the hour I promise! I've put 9 hours in so far today and my arm hurts, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to bow out I had too much going on this week and weekend didn't get to put much work in on it. But thanks to those that did give me some good feedback I think I'm going to take a few of my favorite ones and finish them to get more practice.

Also can't wait to see people's finished work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 652 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sorry to hear some of you guys drop out (especially DV, those creatures look epic), but then again I couldn't work on my creatures all that much for the past week, didn't help I buggered up my wrist while working last friday, but it's getting better...

anyways I know people have been working hard to get their stuff sorted, and the deadline is looming, so I will be giving a few hours grace for people to get their entries in, and to work on any last minute changes and upgrades if they feel up to it! I will close the topic at whatever time I happen to wake up at tomorrow so you guys are guaranteed, at least 7 or 8 hours! I admit that this was a heavy workload for cow even with a month (plus a few days), so I am willing to give some leeway in those regards, but in the future I do expect people to work for the initial deadline (I'll do my best not to give such a heavy workload in the future, but no promises ) In the mean time the new topic will be going up as planned in a few minutes so for a little while you guys can work on two topics at once.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm done. I've been putting everything together the whole night and I just posted my entry to the finals. I bet that I'm going to find 10 things I forgot to add/change/remove when I wake up and I'm already regretting putting the descriptions into the images... Oh well, it's 7AM so I might as well get some sleep now. Good job everyone! I hope to see some more entries when I wake up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel battered and haggard. I was worried the thread would close the minute of 12:00 so I was cramming my paintings in for the last 5 hours straight without even looking up from my screen hardly. It feels good to be done and have completed it, although I must admit I feel mixed about the rushed results on some of my renderings, but it was still a great exercise even if I'm not particularly proud of my execution.

Arbinn man, MAD respect. Your creatures are georgous. The rendering, design and colors are fantastic. The warrior is still my favorite, it just looks so dynamic and fun.

There is some really great and different designs from everyone in there. I'm really disappointed we couldn't see the final results of Defiled Vision or Cristoff though, great sketches.

Did anyone have issues with the uploader? For some reason my jpeg wasn't uploading so I had to use DA instead, and link directly into the post. Strange, because I didn't think the image was too big or anything.

Ok, its 4am now, gonna go sleep.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2