Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Submit your art!!!

SUBMIT YOUR ART!!!

Submit your art!!!

The ORIGINAL, first and only art book created for Halloween.
    NOW AN ANNUAL BOOK EVENT!!!

SUBMISSIONS are now OPEN for VOLUME 2!!!
    (Please see below for rules and regulations)

Submit your art!!!

PLEASE ALSO VISIT THE OFFICIAL EVENT LINKS:

The Official FACEBOOK Page of Little BOOK of MONSTERS,
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Littl...11702202228487
    (LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!)

The Events Main Page,
    http://www.creaturefeaturebooks.blogspot.com/

The Official Activity Thread,
    http://www.digitalarttutorials.com/f...php?f=5&t=4014

You may also direct all your questions for answers and final images to:
    creaturefeaturebooks@gmail.com

And as always, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    So how much do the artists get paid to be included in the book. You understand that's what illustrators do they get paid for their work.

Thanks

Thanks
    exposure is great but only if I know what I'm being exposed to and only if I'm provided with at least a copy of the finished product. How many books were sold before? To who? What rights does the publisher want?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    exposure is great but only if I know what I'm being exposed to and only if I'm provided with at least a copy of the finished product. How many books were sold before? To who? What rights does the publisher want?
    I'm glad you're on our side dpaint
    -I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply...

Sorry for the late reply everyone.

The following is a link to the event that had hosted Volume 1,

http://www.monstermashbooks.blogspot.com

Volume one will be released this October 1st. 2013 and will be available world wide, as hard copy.

Volume two will be released next October 1st. 2014 in the same fashion.

These books are put together to have fun and help give exposure to the up and coming artist. The books also hold host to well known names from the comic book, animation and video game industries. These artists are co-stars of the book and help bring more attention to the unknown artists.

At the present time, Payment would be the inclusion into the book and a numbered copy of it. This is an ongoing project and as it's popularity grows, so will it's funds. When this starts to happen, more offers to it's artists will be given. It is also an event to have some creative fun in observance of Halloween. This is the first book of it's kind and will be an annual event for hopefully years to come.

As for the rights. All Selected entries for entrance into the completed book will be credited to with name of artist, city/country and a web address to his/her site. All copyrights are of the artists and images outside of the book will only be used to promote the project. I will hold no copyright over any of the art which will be used in the book.

Hope the information provided answers your questions and please let me know if I had missed something.
    Last edited by Rodneydollah; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Just to be clear, my comment was meant ironically.

Thanks

EVENTS PAGE

Please visit the newly created EVENTS PAGE, now available on FACEBOOK,
    https://www.facebook.com/events/220020951485728/

No worries, Benedikt.

Thanks

Guest artists' announced!

GUEST ARTISTS' ANNOUNCED!

Below you will find, just a few GUEST ARTISTS' (and more to come) co-starring in the up and coming
    VOLUME (2) of Rodney Dollah's Little BOOK of MONSTERS:

Dave Dorman: The legendary and most thought of artist from the "STAR WARS" franchise.

Dean Bhishma Rankine: Artist of the "THE SIMPSONS" and "FUTURAMA" and a bunch more great works.
    Get a load of Dean's work at http://aggressivecomix.com/?p=4792

Anton Emdin: An internationally known artist with work from "MAD MAGAZINE" and "ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE".
    You can view more of Anton's work at http://www.antonemdin.com/

Stay Tuned For More Announcements!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneydollah View Post

These books are put together to help give exposure to the up and coming artist.

At the present time, Payment would be the inclusion into the book.
    If you want to help artists, pay them, with money. There are a glut of free opportunities for artists to showcase their work, like this site which gets ten times the traffic your book could ever hope to raise. If you won't even give them a copy of the book for their time; then this is not helping young artists at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm going to be constructive here because I would submit art for exposure if the context was right. The exposure thing would only work if you sent free copies to the right art directors in the right places. Even then this takes great emphasis on curation ability. Honestly you're presentation skills on the submit banner says otherwise. It's all a matter of taste. If you had artists lined up and had a tasteful and cohesive and unique aesthetic established I could judge on those merits as to whether you're publication would be appropriate for me or not.

What dpaint said is right. If you want to hit the ground running you have to make the appropriate investments.

Thanks
    This ongoing project is a work in progress. Each year I hope to have more time and money to invest in it. This is something I enjoy putting together in my spare time and is not something to make a profit off of. Over the years I've seen some really great artists out there jamming out to online art forums and there challenges but they never see print? I thought by putting something like this together would rock most artists? There are a lot of known artists that are interested in helping out with these books but I don't want the whole book to be about them. I would like to have that artist that can't wait to get home from work to draw or paint. The one that would love to see there work in print. To tell you the truth, I thought people would love this idea and be happy to see something like it?

The books will be sold through a few specialty shops, a website, Amazon and through conventions. Each artist that will be in the book, will receive a limited numbered copy of that book.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 4,637 Posts

Thanks
    gee...what's next Black Spot? No using of the swear words? This thread is hardly uncivil and Dpaint is speaking the truth. One of the biggest issues as a professional artist is the fact that people want free art or cheap art and use "exposure" as a sales point. Although he has some more well known artists on board, I can't see how it would reach that huge an audience and thanks to the interwebs having stuff in print isnt really a big thing. There are far better publications to submit your work to that will be seen by art-directors and potential employers. Im sure the original poster has the best of intentions and just wants to do something cool but stuff like this is what kills our industry

And on that note, one of the good things about this forum used to be how you could speak your mind and call bullshit when you see it.... now we have to all hold hands and sing campfire songs it seems

Thanks

Thanks
    oh so now post you don't like get deleted... ok sure

Thanks
    No, posts that get personal. CA has always enjoyed robust debate, and long may that continue.

Thanks
    Well I personally think you're doing the "worst of ca" thread a big disservice with this.... and it really still comes down to deleting posts you don't like, I can't recall this happening much in the past,well only during the "drama" phases. I would prefer a scolding of the offending party, so that way you can at least see what is considered a "personal" attack. I also preferred the harder, edgier CA.org of old but considering I hardly post here and dont take part in any of the community things, I dont think my opinion should matter much. I'l just keep to posting in the SB thread

Thanks

Thanks
    Really? that's a shame, I always felt it should've been renamed to "New to the forums? Read here first" great resource for what not to do.... and hey now I don't post for ages but when I do it's derailing a topic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    These exposure, through book opportunities are a widely accepted generator of exposure if they are put in the right people's hands as Raoul said. There are plenty of examples of books. competitive and not, who I have been a part of because I fit the demographic and/or knew who might see it. One of the problems you might find is that professionals work very hard for their reputations and will be hesitant to be shown nest to work that is not up to par. I only participate when the work is juried or vetted by people I respect or if I know the work of a large number of artists.

In short I think that these book projects can be fun, if not really professionally beneficial, for a peer group in getting some kind of exposure and just having a great printed object to show. Books like "The Exquisite Book", "Sketchtravel", "Beasts" are all really nice books and keep sakes but they are all filled with great work. But including inferior work can bring the whole project down to just a novelty to show to friends. I've backed out of a few of these opportunities because of the work of some of the other artists involved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I'm sick of flaky ass e-beggars wasting everybody's time trying to crowdsource the industry. I just think the hostility towards the "exposure" offer in this case is unwarranted. These kinds of publicity projects really are just about exposure. I knew the guy that ran Color Ink Book. The gross revenue only covered convention expenses at best. Of course it paid neither jack nor shit to the participating artists, aside from free copies. But it was well curated and presented, so it successfully got the word out. Even with a warm reception, the margins are just too low to cover a full time income.

Thanks
    Hey bcarman,

I agree with all said. This all started just to jam out and have fun with some of my friends that are also artists during the season of Halloween some years ago. I had looked forward to it for years. I thought bringing more artists to it would help fuel more creativity within the group and amongst others. The book thing came about when the art started to get better and I thought that it should be shown. I started to give it more thought and being a huge art book collector myself, decided to start publishing an annual art book for Halloween.

The quality of submissions are most important. I find that some of the less experienced artists seem to learn more when they have a goal and sometimes over come there weaknesses when this happens. If this happens and that piece so happens to be candy for the eye and fits the book, it maybe in the book even if there past work does not meet par.

Hey Raoul Duke,

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your thought and your time for posting. This project is all about having fun and to tell you the truth, even if there was not a book, I'd still do it. I just thought with a set goal put forward, that more people would take to it more and create a much larger Halloween party. I am hoping to have more time to invest in a better presentation next year. I Just thought the creating idea would hold it's own. I am hoping to give who ever is interested, the opportunity to have some fun and maybe be in a book. I apologize if you feel like your time is being wasted, it really is not.

Thanks
    HAVE SOME NICE VIDEO

edit- deleted video
    Last edited by Black Spot; August 24th, 2013 at 03:10 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    edit: removed
    Last edited by Black Spot; August 24th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    HAVE SOME NICE VIDEO
    thanks for making me aware of this; the full video is worth the watch. While it is focusing on designers it applies to artists who work for design firms or any client really.

Last edited by Black Spot; August 24th, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: edited in error - returned

Thanks
    [QUOTE=dpaint;3716420]thanks for making me aware of this; the full video is worth the watch. While it is focusing on designers it applies to artists who work for design firms.

edit : removed

Mike Monteiro is great and he has a picture of some wrinkly buttcheeks on his twitter page, which is awesome. thank you for finding the full video it was buried somewhere in my hard drive
    Last edited by Black Spot; August 24th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks

Thanks
    So wow, more threads edited and now a banning.... all so that some person who wants art for free doesn't get offended? Even if this person has the most noble of intentions and is just doing it for fun, it doesn't change the fact that its bad for the industry. Others see this and go, oh hey they gave that person free art why not me? Its devaluing all our hard work and effort.

Black Spot, you do not work as an artist, so you have no idea how frustrating and demoralizing this type of thing is. Everyday I wake up and the 1st thing I do is check my email in the hopes of someone contacting me for paying work or replying to a quote I sent. Instead I get several emails asking for free work, asking to send free work for their book or project, asking for 500 images with a budget of 50 bucks and so on... Really disheartening when all I want is a paying job so I can buy a gift for my girlfriend's birthday...which I couldn't, because exposure doesn't work in shops.

Now I come to ca.org, which is suppose to be a community for us artists, and I see you editing posts and banning people (people I might add who are actually trying to get things going around here by making fun threads and such)just to appease someone who is clearly doing us a disservice? Because you felt it was to personal or nasty or whatever? Why are we treated like children whose eyes must be shielded from bad words and nasty sayings? Why should this person who is not doing us any good get to be treated so special and delicately? They should banned and their posts should be edited.

This is seriously disappointing that our so called community cares more for some random poster asking for free work than a vocal user that has been around since 2003.

So I guess we better take screenshots of our posts from now on in, case they have swearwords in or might hurt someone feelings?

Thanks
    Okay, so I goofed and edited the wrong post.

Posts that are insulting have never been allowed. Just because we have been lax recently to allow members to have their say, doesn't mean it didn't happen. It did and will continue to happen. No forum will last if members consider bullying , name calling etc are acceptable. That will just kill a forum quicker than any drama.

I will not make any excuses for the recent edits, and in future I will not bother informing you all as it seems to create more problems. Currently, I'm the only active moderator on the board and I don't have time for drama.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast