Sketchbook: LeMk's sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

LeMk's sketchbook

Hi, everyone! My Name is Leah and I have been sort of going through the forums on ConceptArt. I am really inspired, and I am looking to really work on my portfolio and drawing skills. I would like to make a portfolio of concept art, but I know I have to really get the basics down. So here's my sketchbook. Any advice or suggestions would be great! Thanks. =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LeMk1216; June 8th, 2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Trying to get a different cover on my sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I hoping I'm adding this image right. Just a drawing I was doing for an art trade, but I am thinking about redoing the coral on the turtle's back.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  79.1 KB

For these paintings and sketches I used this website for references. http://www.characterdesigns.com/inde...page=photosets

Last edited by LeMk1216; June 8th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    Very nice studies. You seem to get your color schemes down well. And your figure studies are looking good. That turtle drawing also seems to be coming along well. I look forward to seeing the finished product! Keep practicing!!

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

| -Hire Me- | My Portfolio |
    | My DeviantArt | My Tumblr | My Blog |

Making mistakes means making progress. So quit the PERFECTIONISM and go make some! [Read this]

Thanks
    Comin' along nicely. (:
    I'd suggest using a bit less strokes for your lines in your sketches.

Thanks
    Hey there Good stuff! I like the studies a lot. I think you should try and be more decisive with your marks though and less scratchy There is a lot of life to some of them, and more fluid lines would help that get to the next level. I think sometimes your proportions are a little bit off, like the legs are too short by a little bit... or at least it seems so to me... not sure if that is quite correct.
    My issue with the turtle image is that it would do well to have a color mood, a certain palette with a lower range of color... it would be more appealing I think, so that each component is less a local color, because that kind of colouring can make things look amateurish and rainbowy. (Which we all do until we have a better feel for colour, I still have not achieved that skill at all)
    These are examples of better approaches:
    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...2lHLYYlgMOOg6w
    https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...9FLmUC_q8BSdTQ

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Niquey: Thank you =)
    Wawlden: I will try more fluid lines. I think my problem is I'm not committed to my line strokes if that makes sense. I will def. work on that, thank you.
    The-Muddy: Will really work on proportions. Thank you so much, and also have more confidence in my line work, and have less choppy lines. I think you are right about the turtle being very rainbowish. I will try and tamper down the color palette. Thank you for your critique. =D!

Thanks
Views: 450
Size:  92.7 KB
    Figure studies. I tried to use less choppy lines. I think these are a little better, but still have a long way to go to perfect.

Thanks
    WIP first Character turn around.
Views: 450
Size:  67.1 KB

Last edited by LeMk1216; July 30th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks
    You have some very neat studies going and your color usage in them is pretty fly. Your last batch of figures has some really great lines down, too. I think your character turn around looks good so far as well, only thing I would note is that on the profile, she seems to be leaning forward a little bit.

All in all, keep it up! This is a wonderful SB start.

Thanks
    Thanks. I tried to delete the old turnaround, I actually JUST fixed her pose, and it won't let me haha. Thank you =)

Thanks
    Hi, nice fresh sketchbook.
    I really like the sketches in post #7.
    The character further down looks promosing, though Im not much of a punk girl fan, but that's just me.
    Why is she standing on her toes ?

Thanks
    Thank you =) I drew her on her toes because when I give her clothes I wanted to give her heels. I figured it would be easier to draw the clothes on top if her feet were in the position they'd be in when she had shoes =)

Thanks
    Having a really hard time with studies tonight. I was on a roll last night, and now I just feel like I hit a wall. =( Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  85.5 KB

Thanks
    Sketch of Peter Boyle, and a few 1 min sketches. Busy with freelance stuff, but still trying to get an hr of practice drawing in. Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  49.3 KBName:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  53.2 KB

Thanks
    Hun you figures are looking fantastic! You've got a great handle on proportion and placement. Don't be discouraged. I think you may have misunderstood muddy's advice about your lines. She don't mean you need to have perfectly placed and cleaner lines, what you need is more fluidity, longer continuous lines, using your whole arm, not just your wrist. When you use just your wrist, you tend to make short choppy and indecisive strokes. Wrist drawn strokes are useful for detail, but not when you're trying to capture the life of a piece. (I'm at the same place learning all this, that's why I can point it out ;] ) Also, when you do figure studies, try some exaggeration. Push the tilts and leans and twists and attitudes of the model. This serves to make you pay attention to the parts of the body responsible for the effect. It will also help if you empathize with the model and feel what he or she is feeling and do what he or she is doing. Gesture drawing practice is key here. I think you're doing great anyways. Definitely getting better, especially evident on post #13.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMk1216 View Post
    Having a really hard time with studies tonight. I was on a roll last night, and now I just feel like I hit a wall. =(
    One last thing I want to share with you is what Rhubix shared with me: "The moment you give yourself permission to draw some messy, ugly, terrible drawings, you will really start to make big strides." Don't worry about the walls. Just get a bulldozer.

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

Making mistakes means making progress. So quit the PERFECTIONISM and go make some! [Read this]

Thanks
    Your figures look great, very dynamic!

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow, those simple lines for the gestures look so so appealing. Great face study too! What wall? Just keep it up, silly! I know what you mean, I get that, we all do, and you'll get it many more times from now as well. Just keep it up, no matter what.

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Thanks, guys, I will def. try to push the gesture more. I think it is really hard to let myself just "let go" with drawing. I always want stuff to look good, and it's hard to stop from focusing on the detail rather than the learning aspect. Thanks for the encouragement, glad to know I am on the right track. =)

Thanks
Views: 417
Size:  30.8 KB
    Only a handful of quick drawings tonight. I tried starting a picture of Leah Remini but... yeah that wasn't going so well. =(

Thanks
    Haha! I knew were a perfectionist! Nothing wrong with that. Me too I think these are really good! Just keep practicing. 5 minutes or 5 hours - doesn't matter! Just draw!

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Name:  progress.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  1.93 MB
    WIP. Making my eyes hurt.

Thanks
    Name:  progress 2.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  243.8 KB
    More progress

Thanks
    Wow. I love your progression on your ghost lady! I have to say, I like the face of the last one on post 21 the best, but I prefer the dress of the latest one. It's looking good! Nice work

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Name:  1116203_10100448592623847_1311537190_o.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  190.7 KB Finished for now. I am not entirely happy with it, but I am excited that I actually finished a digital painting, and a personal piece. =) It was also fun to play with all the textures.

Niquey, thanks, I'm not sure how her face changed so much, I think it was as I was adding and playing around with the values. =( Her face did have a softer and more feminine feel before though. =/ Maybe I will go back in and change.

Thanks
    Trying to get the contest entries done for Hauntings of the Heart while baby naps/sleeps throughout the day. I'm not holding my breath though. But Gotta try!! Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  61.2 KB

Thanks
    Great start to your SB! A couple of crits - watch your proportions (seeing some oversized heads and undersized torsos), and get some ref for your final illustrations. As well as helping with anatomy and proportion, it'll help you get much more natural poses.

Thanks
    Revidescent, thanks. Yeah, I'm having trouble with posing with the last two illustrations (the ghost and masquerade), I was thinking about getting friends to pose for me to help out. Thank you for your comment =)

Thanks
    sketches. Also have been doing some watercolor painting but I don't have any pictures of them yet. Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  121.5 KB

Thanks
    you have some nice values but i would suggest working on your anatomy. anyways keep it up!

Thanks
    Wow! Those most recent sketches are wonderful. The expression on that baby's face is perfect. And excellent finish on your ghost lady. I love the ethereal feel you were able to achieve. Keep going hun!

Niquey 多明
    | My Sketchbook |

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast