Sketchbook: Vep's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Vep's Sketchbook

Hey there!
    I am Vep and I'm from Germany, so my English may not be up to scratch – sorry in advance!

Some basic information about me: I have been drawing for all my life. When manga became a big thing in the late nineties I wanted to become a manga artist (I know, I know … ). A few years later, I parted with the style and then stopped doing art for a long time.

Now, my goal is to draw every day and get better – and I absolutely need to start from scratch. Anatomy, perspective, values and color theory are all things I didn’t study at all in all those years, I just drew. Therefore my work leaves much to be desired. I just started working digitally; everything I did all those years was traditional stuff.

Right now I only got my first attempt at digital art with me, but I’ll add more basic stuff later. With this work I tried to get used to drawing with the tablet and dabbled in Photoshop ... well, it's a start, heh. I saved four steps so I am attaching them too. I plan to post mostly studies.

So have fun guys and feel free to critique! This website is just incredibly inspiring - seeing all those amazing sketchbooks psyches me up!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally! I restored my data! Let's get back in the thread with some hand studies.

My line quality sucks, I'm trying to do more simple exercises to get better at it. The hands on the right column are from mind, the rest is Bridgman/photos/my left hand.

Now with a good PC I will be able to update more often and do more digital work. Yay

Name:  50 hands part 1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  558.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some quick gesture drawings. I suck at those, need to do more!

Name:  gesture 1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  893.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some quick miniature studies (got the idea from ctrlpaint) to get a better feeling for colors. Well, I try to remember the words of Jake the dog: Sucking at something is the first step to be really good at someting. I also did some traditional arm anatomy with Bridgman, I try to photograph it later.

Edit: Oh snap the quality is horrible. Sorry for that.

Name:  mini study 1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  558.8 KB
    Name:  mini study 2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  555.1 KB
    Name:  mini study 3.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  554.8 KB
    Name:  mini study 4.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  556.4 KB
    Name:  mini study 5.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  555.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahhaa the quality is indeed horrible on those last I think that for someone who has only drawn manga and then stopped for a really long time youre really good. Your first digital works looks pretty good and definetely for someone who has never used Photoshop before. It would be nice if you could tell us how old you are and what goal you would like to reach. Do you want to do this as a career or just as a hobby for instance this makes it easier for people to give feedback on what you should focus. For now I think it would be great if you continue doing these studies and see if you can join in on some challenges here on the forums like the new free level up challenges, you can find these on the main page if you scroll down a bit. Good luck and hope to see more work soon!

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    I think that for someone who has only drawn manga and then stopped for a really long time youre really good. Your first digital works looks pretty good and definetely for someone who has never used Photoshop before.
    Thanks a lot I did the first one by experimenting and now I'm at loss when trying to recreate my steps. I did some tutorials with ctrlpaint in the meantime, they were really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    It would be nice if you could tell us how old you are and what goal you would like to reach. Do you want to do this as a career or just as a hobby for instance this makes it easier for people to give feedback on what you should focus. For now I think it would be great if you continue doing these studies and see if you can join in on some challenges here on the forums like the new free level up challenges, you can find these on the main page if you scroll down a bit. Good luck and hope to see more work soon!
    Yes, of course: I am 26 and don't think I will ever be a professional. But drawing and learning is so much fun! I want to be the best artist I can be, just for myself. And yeah, I definitely will participate in the gesture challenge, looks like fun!

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh joy, my wacom pen stopped working. Now I'm hoping that the problem is fixable by replacing the tip. So sadly no photoshop art until my amazon package arrives.

Well, in good news I had the chance to visit the National Gallery in London last friday and did some quick studies and sketches. And I did some arm anatomy, which I find very hard. I don't completely understand how the bones turn yet. I will do more of the them in the next couple of days with the help of my Bammes book which has more detail than Bridgman.

Name:  Quick study national gallery.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  389.5 KB
    Name:  arm study 1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  413.6 KB
    Name:  arm study 2.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  408.4 KB
    Name:  arm studies bridman.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  433.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice hand studies Those Bridgman fingers are distinctive

- - - Updated - - -

Well done. Hope to see more

- - - Updated - - -

Well done. Hope to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot And yeah, Brigdman's hands are one of a kind.

Finally I had some time! After all the traditional studies I just wanted to have some fun and started a portrait. I still am struggling with photoshop and how to use it effectively. This is a work in progress, there are so many problems with the image right now, but I gotta stop for today

And some short studies of facial expression, some better than the others. This was incredibly fun to do. I tend to imitate the expression while drawing.

Name:  portrait_WIP.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  642.8 KB

Name:  mimik.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  1.81 MB

Last edited by Vep; March 7th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
    Look what I did! Vep's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there. I like your new portrait, and it looks like you're getting a handle on photoshop. Keep up those anatomy studies. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vep,

those hand studies are awesome. And I like the expressions in the last update. Now that I'm subscribed expect me to visit your thread often.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to frostherz For This Useful Post:

Vep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like those facial expressions:very nice work,especially the woman!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to noah123 For This Useful Post:

Vep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot you guys!

I did some arm studies from Bridgman/Bammes. I got the feeling that I understand the mechanics better now, but I'm still afraid of doing arms from mind. And sorry about the quality, I don't have a scanner

Name:  arm masses_1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  105.1 KB
    Name:  arm masses_2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  98.8 KB
    Name:  arm muscles_bammes.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  muscles arm_brigdman.jpg
Size:  124.9 KB

I considered to take part in the creature of the week challenge, but I don't think I am good enough. So I took the theme (the kraken) and studied some octopusses. The first two on the top row on the left are traced to get a grip on them, the rest is from mind.

Name:  octopus studies.jpg
Size:  415.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great arm studies. Especially the last three. That Bammes seems to be worth it. And I'm in love with the octopus on the far right. Cute little fella. You mentioned Ctrl-Paint, did you already see this video? http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/form-not-shape

Could be helpful in your further creature-studies.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to frostherz For This Useful Post:

Vep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vep. Thx for stopping by! You've improved a lot since you first started this sketchbook . Those arm studies show that your lines have become a lot more confident.

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more arms, *sigh*.

@frostherz: Thanks And yes, I should have put more effort in analyzing the form, not the shape. I will keep it in mind for further studies!

The Bammes book kinda depressed me yesterday. Most of the studies I did were from Bridgman (the human machine and constructive anatomy), and albeit his drawings are very dynamic and expressive, I longed for more precision. Sometimes it was kinda hard to figure out the angle, it's just not that specific in some aspects, and the text didn't help me at all. Most of the time it's just a description in complicated, old-fashioned english where muscles are placed and how they function. So I turned to Bammes for a better understanding (the way it is written is old-fashioned too, but at least it's german). In the book, Bammes (excuse the language) took a huge shit on the books from Bridgman and Loomis, saying that they are not good in conveying anatomy for artists. Okay. I indeed have the feeling that DO know more about muscles, but I am not sure if doing all the arms and hands helped me as much as I wanted it to. Bammes recommended that before delving into anatomy, you have to start with learning proportions by drawing from live. Like, you have two nude models, male and female, and you try to nail down their shape. I wish I could do that, but I am not an art student so I have a limited access to nude drawing sessions. The one I could take in the adult education center already started two weeks ago. I now got the strange feeling that it was a mistake to do the studies and I should have focused so much more on drawing from life and practicing proportion. Whew, that was long, sorry for the whining I am just a little bit frustrated right now, I am sure tomorrow will be better.

@Mrkolsyrad: Wow thank you! That's uplifting

I got some more arms with me, and one ill-proportioned torso (the reason why I turned to Bammes). I don't know how to proceed now. I guess I'll try drawing from life for the next days.

Name:  arms arms arms.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  408.6 KB
    Name:  even more arms.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  337.4 KB
    Name:  more arms.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  393.7 KB
    Name:  fucked up proportions.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  357.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice anatomy studies, your linework is becoming more confident

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JayZii: thanks

I did some quick silhouettes from mind to get better at proportions. I had some time left so I doodled some kind of armor lines on top, maybe I'll polish it when I got time again.

Name:  silhouettes only.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  227.3 KB
    Name:  silhouettes.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  248.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no post, let's change that! I got two more pages from my anatomy sketchbook with me and one stupid drawing I did while podcasting.

Yesterday my amazon delivery arrived. I ordered Mut zum Skizzenbuch (roughly translated to "to have he guts for a sketchbook"), Just Draw it, Richtig Sehen und locker Skizzieren: Praxisnah perspektivisch Zeichnen lernen (means something like "to properly see and loosely sketch: learning to draw perspectively"). Especially the first two books are gorgeously made and deliver so many great ideas for sketching. I noticed I really need input in this regard. Tomorrow I'll post some pages from my doodling sketchbook so you can see what I mean My sketches are not courageous enough ... yet

Name:  brustmuskel.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  355.9 KB
    Name:  torso bridgman.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  360.1 KB
    Name:  Sailor Manly.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  823.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, somehow conceptart.org is so laggy lately. It swallowed my whole post just now. Bummer.

Again: I did mostly traditional stuff since the last update (heads, skulls, hands, feet), but due to the abysmal quality of the snapshots I'll only post some of them. Sorry!

The only digital thing I did was the lady (yeah, she will have another arm, fingers and even a nose in the end). I decided for the motif to practice rendering skin in color. But as you can see, I only just started and will have to put many more hours in it to get a less sucky result. I hope that I'll look at her in a year or so and think "ha, I've really gotten better compared to that".

Name:  hand and foot.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  736.7 KB
    Name:  feeeet.jpg
Size:  675.8 KB
    Name:  astra.jpg
Size:  753.9 KB
    Name:  Kadse.jpg
Size:  630.7 KB
    Name:  cheesecake.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  21.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaand some gestures. The little guys are dancing :3

Name:  dance gestures.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  317.9 KB
    Name:  jump gesture.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  202.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Those anatomy studies I think you exported too big. It is easier on the eye if you keep it something like 1024 by 768..personally I try to keep it all 800 by 600. Just a tip for your future posts! I like the hands you did and how little lines you used it your last post!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibier For This Useful Post:

Vep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Gibier: Thanks I'll keep it in mind. When I got some free time I'll upload all the screwed ones anew.

In the meantime, I got two studies with me from Composition 1.1. As everyone can see I am struggling to no end. My rendering is terrible. There's no texture. The values are not right. But I already embarassed myself in the Composition thread so why not also here? In the end it only means I got to do more more more!

Name:  comp 1 stuck.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  170.2 KB
    Name:  comp courbet.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  109.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies Look amazing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh. And the next study. This time it's Lenbach and I don't find it as horrible as the other two. Sorry poor little guy for making you a dwarf. Maybe I come back and fix you!

Name:  comp 3 klein.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  143.5 KB

vegu is offline Level Up - All Access Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for leaving a comment of my sketchbook!

Nice studies, i like how you keep them artistic while still being accurate, sometimes i worry mine end up looking too stiff

Keep up the great work!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to vegu For This Useful Post:

Vep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

And here is the next composition study. It really IS astounding to feel that you're really getting better from study to study. I am so happy I chose to do the composition 1.1 assignment!

The next update will be next week due to me being away, but I'll sketch sketch sketch while in Italy!

Name:  munch comp.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  63.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great, your composition study is spot on!

Members who have read this thread: 44