Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SaucySketchBook

Thanks

SaucySketchBook

Hi everyone! I've been drawing for a while but have only recently become more serious about art as a career path (about a year or more ago). At this point in time I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with myself exactly, but I definitely want to pursue something art-related.

Anyway, here's my sketchbook. I definitely need to improve, so tips and critiques are very welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SaucyChin; November 12th, 2017 at 03:24 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here are some skull studies I did. The 3/4 and Top-down views are drawn from memory, whereas everything is more or less done using a reference.

Name:  IMG_20130720_161458.jpg
Views: 2960
Size:  258.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130720_154455.jpg
Views: 2818
Size:  269.2 KB
    Last edited by SaucyChin; July 20th, 2013 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks
    Some still life drawings of a teapot and a tomato.

Name:  IMG_20130720_155929.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  266.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130720_155947.jpg
Views: 2815
Size:  330.4 KB
    Not quite as happy with how the tomato turned out.
    Last edited by SaucyChin; August 18th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks
    Working through some of the exercises in Andrew Loomis' book Figure Drawing for All it's Worth.

Name:  Proportions.jpg
Views: 3414
Size:  173.6 KB

Name:  Gesture 1.jpg
Views: 4782
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  Layover.jpg
Views: 3851
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  Layover2.jpg
Views: 3418
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  Process.jpg
Views: 9502
Size:  174.3 KB

Thanks
    I need to work on my digital painting skill(s), along with many other things

All refs are from Wikimedia Commons

Name:  Diplulmaris Antarctica.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  197.0 KB

Name:  Calico.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  191.1 KB

I found the cat's colouration quite difficult to really render very far, so unfortunately it looks very flat.

Name:  Rooster.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  196.7 KB

30 minute speedpaint, tried to simplify details

References:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cat
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tarctica_2.jpg
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...,_Illinois.jpg

I'd love to hear what you think!
    Last edited by SaucyChin; July 26th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Contour drawing on commute.
    Name:  IMG_20130729_223552.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  449.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130729_220714.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  336.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20130729_220745.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  409.8 KB

Thanks
    Name:  I'm a Cat.jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  276.7 KB
    Had some trouble with the background - must improve environments!
    Last edited by SaucyChin; July 31st, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks
    Hi Ethan This new cat study is great. Keep up the studies, they are helping! Go on working hard as you are, I look forward to seeing your progress!
    sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Using the Pixelovely gesture drawing tool...
    Name:  Gesture1.jpg
Views: 2745
Size:  230.1 KB
    Name:  Gesture2.jpg
Views: 3409
Size:  237.1 KB
    Last edited by SaucyChin; August 6th, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks
    Hey nice studies, I think it will become more apparent as to which direction you want to go in as you progress you will find an area of art that fits you. All about practice at this stage.

Thanks
    I've been thinking about going into the world of concept art recently, but there are lots of other areas I find really interesting! Still, I've really got to button down and improve right now as you say. Thanks for your response!
    Last edited by SaucyChin; August 7th, 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks
    Nice, I like that the smile is throughout the face, in the eyes and cheeks, and not just in the mouth! Try to push the values next time Unless the photo isn't true to life
    Keep doing those thumbnails and gestures and studies, I love that feeling that comes while doing them that you are gaining knowledge I personally get a really strong dose of it when I study the skeleton like you did haha
    sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"

Thanks
    Thanks, I know what you mean with those values! definitely a bit too light in a lot of areas.

Playing with some blocky people(breakdown into simple forms) from imagination.
    Name:  Cylinderpeeps1.jpg
Views: 2568
Size:  286.3 KB
    Name:  Cylinderpeeps2.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  278.0 KB

Thanks
    Oh, your figures in the last post has some great energy in them. Very nice! You're definitely on the right track. I think of all the studies, the weakest are the ones you did in pencil, so see if you can do more traditional studies. It'll help out your digital works as well. c:

Thanks
    @Whimsnicole: Thanks! c: I'll do some more of those observational still life drawings; overall I still feel insecure about values in general.
    Last edited by SaucyChin; August 27th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks
    Still life drawings as promised!
    Name:  Kettle.jpeg
Views: 2455
Size:  698.9 KB
    Name:  Cup.jpeg
Views: 1465
Size:  614.6 KB
    Name:  Tomato.jpeg
Views: 1352
Size:  286.4 KB
    Name:  Objects.jpeg
Views: 1453
Size:  573.7 KB

Thanks
    Great! Makes me wanna do some too. Great shading!
    sketchbook

Thanks
    @the-muddy: Thank-you! It's good value practice and quite therapeutic

Once again I haven't been here for a while, but I'm still doing work! Been learning oil painting in a uni class (hope to show some soon), as well as learning how to paint with gouache in my own time. I've been learning how to use Sculptris (which is a lot of fun) and recently bought a better tablet!

A different line quality is produced when contour drawing on a bus - a messier, much looser one (esp. if it's bumpy!)
    Name:  Contour1.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  384.0 KB
    Name:  Contour2.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  238.8 KB

Name:  Contour3.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  174.7 KB Name:  Contour4.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  245.6 KB

Gouache (opaque watercolour) is an interesting medium. It is very versatile and 'quite lovely'.
    Name:  Tangerine.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  406.8 KB
    Name:  GouacheTP.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  257.0 KB
    Name:  Pear.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  358.2 KB

Quick speedpaint I did, playing with some colours and using a model I made in Sculptris
    Name:  Sculpt.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  18.9 KB Name:  Skull!.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  81.4 KB

Thanks
    An updated skull study

Name:  Skullstudy.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  216.6 KB

Some thumbnails - I was originally working from Mapcrunch (http://www.mapcrunch.com/), which generates random locations from Google Street View, but as you can see I went off on a bit of a tangent!

Name:  Mapcrunch.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  414.9 KB

Thanks
    Those studies show some really solid progress! It was actually kinda fun just to scroll through, felt like I could feel your comfort level rise with them as the shapes became more defined and more clear as you went. Keep on keeping on!
    "Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    @masterpug: Thanks! I'm glad you think so!

Apologies for lack of updates! Here are some abstract thumbnails, trying to experiment and get a little better at composition.

Name:  AC.jpeg
Views: 1188
Size:  218.9 KB

I will try to update more frequently!

perhaps I could do more of those speedpaints...

Thanks
    Hi again! Here's some studies, of:

Rembrandt's Self Portrait with Two Circles
    (Link to original: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...wo_Circles.jpg)

and...

Lucian Freud's Reflection, which is also a self-portrait
    (Link to original: http://uploads3.wikipaintings.org/im...trait-1985.jpg)

Name:  RembrandtSP.jpeg
Views: 1176
Size:  202.4 KB

Name:  Lucien Freud.jpeg
Views: 1241
Size:  311.2 KB
    Last edited by SaucyChin; January 19th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks
    Woo! Site revamp! I like it.
    Anyway, here's some gestures I did today, again with the wonderful http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/
    I also did a bit more of an in depth figure study (few hours)

Name:  Gesture01.jpeg
Views: 1246
Size:  180.3 KB
    Name:  Gesture02.jpeg
Views: 1220
Size:  164.7 KB

Also a bit of a process I followed - I'm certainly no expert (wahaha, far from it!), But I think this worked for me.
    Also the reference image, also from pixelovely:

(http://artists.pixelovely.com/wordpr...1303877560.jpg)

Name:  Process.jpeg
Views: 1500
Size:  386.7 KB

Thanks
    Quick update -- some sketches!!

Name:  Animu Soldier Sketch.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  257.9 KB
    Name:  Hands.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  480.5 KB

Thanks
    More Stuff! A little bit of anatomy, a look at rendering values (probably wrong, so I wouldn't advise following it), plus a return to the basics of 3 dimensional form! (I do have a bit more confidence in this part).

Name:  Spine.jpeg
Views: 1120
Size:  93.3 KB

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Rendering

Name:  Rendering.jpeg
Views: 1117
Size:  366.2 KB

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++3D Form! (strange formatting I know)

Name:  newbasics3d.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  223.7 KB

A Story
    When I first started getting a little bit more serious about art I did what a lot of people do and drew lots of anime and manga sort of stuff (you can see some of it on my DeviantArt (http://saucychin.deviantart.com/), but beware, it's not very good). Anyway, when I first learned to look and understand everything I draw/paint as 3-Dimensional, I got a lot better. I'm no expert, but I'd say this 3D form stuff is pretty damn important, if not vital, because even though drawing is said to be a 2D medium, the (representational) things we draw are all 3D. With this sort of knowledge and understanding, you can approach drawing in pretty much anyway you can think of, in order to create that illusion.

I'll probably post more of this sort of stuff, mainly because I'm learning a lot of it as I go too (so again, It's probably not entirely accurate!)
    Last edited by SaucyChin; August 13th, 2014 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    I can really see how you grew up in the last several months. Keep it up! I also like how you dove into digital art straight away. I am only doing the drawings for now but I really want to get into digital concept art. Do you think it's a good idea to work with both traditional and digital materials at the same time?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagamor View Post
    I can really see how you grew up in the last several months. Keep it up! I also like how you dove into digital art straight away. I am only doing the drawings for now but I really want to get into digital concept art. Do you think it's a good idea to work with both traditional and digital materials at the same time?
    Hi there, thanks for stopping by! Your traditional skills in drawing and painting (if you later do painting) will certainly help you with any digital stuff you want to do and vice versa. The only problem is that often when people first get into digital art, they get so distracted by all the different tools and functions that they don't really get anywhere. Really, when it comes to digital art, there is little more than you absolutely need than a basic brush tool or two that you can vary opacity to draw/paint with and an eraser tool to erase things + make marks with (I really like to refine shapes with the eraser tool). If you need some help starting out with digital you can try looking at http://ctrlpaint.com/, and if you're looking for software to use you can try Krita (http://krita.org/). Personally I really like it and use it often, and not only that it is FREE. So in response to your question, yes, you can certainly get into digital at the same time if you want to!
    Last edited by SaucyChin; February 25th, 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaucyChin View Post
    Hi there, thanks for stopping by! Your traditional skills in drawing and painting (if you later do painting) will certainly help you with any digital stuff you want to do and vice versa. The only problem is that often when people first get into digital art, they get so distracted by all the different tools and functions that they don't really get anywhere. Really, when it comes to digital art, there is little more than you absolutely need than a basic brush tool or two that you can vary opacity to draw/paint with and an eraser tool to erase things + make marks with (I really like to refine shapes with the eraser tool). If you need some help starting out with digital you can try looking at http://ctrlpaint.com/, and if you're looking for software to use you can try Krita (http://krita.org/). Personally I really like it and use it often, and not only that it is FREE. So in response to your question, yes, you can certainly get into digital at the same time if you want to!
    Great, then I'll go digital soon, too! Thank you for the amazing link. I've seen Ctrl+Paint before but totally forgot about this project, they're much bigger now. So good!

Thanks
    Gesture!

Hey guys, here are some more gesture drawings.

According to the Oxford Dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...nglish/gesture), a gesture is (among other possible definitions)

"1 A movement of part of the body, especially a hand or the head, to express an idea or meaning:
    'Alex made a gesture of apology'"

-With that in mind, I find it's almost like any sort of approach to drawing a person could be considered a gesture drawing as it tells us what the figure is doing (or if the figure is completely static).

-However, I also believe that the loose, often quickly executed gesture drawings we often see are probably meant to train people to quickly recognize the movement of a figure and further exaggerate it. This is especially helpful if we are drawing from a live model who is engaged in some pose or action that cannot be held (e.g playing sports, running, dancing, etc.)

-I really like the approach to gesture drawing where you draw the flow which connects the forms of the figure, kind of like string threaded through beads on a necklace(This is at least how I've interpreted the way Glenn Vilppu usually approaches gesture)

Anyway, most of the following were done with that approach. These first lot are from the wonderful Pixelovely:
    Name:  g1.jpeg
Views: 867
Size:  180.1 KB Name:  g2.jpeg
Views: 870
Size:  172.0 KB Name:  g3.jpeg
Views: 871
Size:  66.6 KB

And these are from when I was in uni, and should have been paying attention to lectures, and a few other places:
    Name:  IRLG1.jpeg
Size:  190.0 KB Name:  IRLG2.jpeg
Views: 865
Size:  202.3 KB
    Name:  IRLG3.jpeg
Size:  137.1 KB Name:  IRLG4.jpeg
Views: 870
Size:  174.4 KB

(Also, sorry about that big long rant at the beginning guys. I've seen people prescribe so many different approaches to gesture drawing, and I thought I'd write some of my own interpretations to help clear my head. Please let me know if you disagree with me. Don't worry, I won't get mad, in fact, I'll be happy to hear some different perspectives )

Thanks
    Hellooo~ No no that is not a huge rant. I actually agree with you for short timed gestures. I find it best to try and capture the "essence" of the character instead of anatomical likeness ( that comes afterwards if there is more time allocated ) But the approach you feel you learn the most of is the best, as everyone is different

I agree, both traditional and digital are very important so I suggest using both as they are only tools, as each have different advantages/disadvantages.

Something I woulds suggest for you would be to isolate from color for awhile ( it appears you are doing so, but just to make sure ) and work on your values, mainly value transitions and how form is depicted. I say this because many of your strokes are blocky and don't exactly depict form accurately. But I cannot tell because I can't see the references, so post those as well please! Very important. So what I am suggesting is to pay more attention to your edges of shadows and light as they seem to muddy and not realistic. For soft edges try an airbrush with 0% hardness and about 20-ish% opacity. Use sparingly as it can become overpowering like the smudge tool. But it will help you describe form more accurately

Keep up the working!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast