Sketchbook: Swenglish sketchbook of a thousand truths - Crit welcome

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Swenglish sketchbook of a thousand truths - Crit welcome

Critique, tips, thoughts etc more than welcome! I want to improve!
    - added thumbnail

Hello everyone.
    I am not going to bore all of you with my boring story about how I've ALWAYS wanted to be an artist but lacked the confidence and belief in myself.
    Finally, after turning 20 and the only experience of art being stick figures from when I was like twelve, and I do really mean ONLY. ( It seems like I am not alone when it comes to starting out '' late '' ) I decided that heck, I've made too many wrong turns already in my life because of other people and my disbelief in myself and my ability. I am going to do something for myself for once, and give it my all.

My dream is to one day become a concept artists for video games, movies, tv-series, books heck you name it! I want to create characters and environments that makes you feel and go *Wow, I wonder who came up with that!*. There are so many people that I look up to and follow and I want a place in this world of wonder and awesome damn it! I truly hate myself for NOT doing what I wanted to do from the get go...

Anyways, I started out about 1 - 1½ months ago and it's difficult. I have NO idea what to focus on in the beginning. All that I've been doing up to this point is do some work from my imagination which in some cases, turns out ok ( Or so I want to believe... I suck and I know it xD, but hell... At least it doesn't make your eyes bleed )and 30 - 60 seconds gesture sketches. I don't really know where to go and what to do. From what I've heard, the most important thing is to UNDERSTAND how things work, and the science behind it. And NOT to just copy, and build muscle memory... Being restricted because of inexperience and NOT being able to properly draw stuff from imagination sucks xP /sad face.

:: Includes first try in photoshop which was..... Difficult. Damn tablet feels horribly inaccurate ::

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mrkolsyrad; July 5th, 2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First attempt on skeleton for the head, hand and foot. I don't want to spend too much time on shading yet.
    Moving over to digital now to make an attempt of drawing the skull again and then paint it , sorry for using my cellphone. I am not at home atm, and our scanner makes lines disappear <.<....

Btw... I am aware of my horrible hand writing lol, I have gotten soooo much crap from teachers for my hand writing throughout the years. I can't really do anything about it, it's just how I write ( very quickly ). And I don't want to spend time on trying to write properly on my sketches hehe....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there and welcome! that is not bad at all! good start, looking forward to see a bit more of your stuff before giving some critics!

Cheers

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for lighting up my day ( actually it's WAY too late over here atm ) and making me smile .

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had a horrid headache the entire day :/, don't feel like I can concentrate so I am going to go and rest a little before I try to continue.
    I want to do this properly right from the get go, so I decided that I am going to be focusing on more basic stuff like perspective and trying to break down anatomy into shapes etc.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I could take for today on the computer... Being sick sucks >.<. Want to build up some accuracy on my tablet.
    Will continue to draw on paper in bed tho, but I don't want to spam too much with gesture drawings hehe.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Really not bad, keep practicing and you're gonna be amazing in no time!
    Thanks for dropping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did 9 pages of ellipses, waves, arcs and lines today lol. Seems to be a great exercise to build hand-eye coordination . Been watching videos from FZDschool and CGworkshop on youtube too.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello there, thanks for dropping by and your helpfull comment.

I also believe it`s true that fundamentals and constructiob will definately give your drawing skills a more solid look. Even though sometimes it can become a boring drill, once you got this toolset imprinted in your mind i think it`s some real crazy stuff! Keep practicing this kind of stuff alot and you will see that your lines will become more solid. Maybe try to use less strokes and keep drawing trough the form.

Cheers

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second attempt of painting that I've done in photoshop... Didn't have time to go any further, I might continue tomorrow tho.

.... I hate drawing horizontal lines on a tablet rofl.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start to your sketchbook I don't have anything specific to critique, just keep practising the fundamentals and you'll improve in no time Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!
    Conceptart.org is a double edge sword. Sometimes you go '' O.o.... How is it even humanly possibly to be that good!? '', and other times you get inspired by all of the amazing artists on here.
    All in due time I guess ^^.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you feel lost, keep going! You're doing the right stuff. I wish I was this on track when I first took up drawing regularly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is quite a good start on your sketchbook! To learn fundamentals better, draw from life as much as you can. Start simple with anything you can find, from your hand to eggs, books, bowls, fruit... you get my point This way, you will get more frustrated than with drawing from reference, but you will pick up skills quicker.

Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks .
    I've been throwing around the idea of looking up life drawing sessions in my area.
    Next week I'll have the house for myself, so I'll be able to draw from life privately.... I think I am going to end up drawing the entire house with everything in it lol..

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing sessions are great! And it is really nice to walk around and see how other people deal with the same subject. You can learn a lot from doing that, in addition to what you learn from the actual drawing of course

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I managed to get ill... Been in bed, hardly been able to even eat for the past few days but I am feeling better. So I decided to do my first value practice ( study ) ever . Tablet still difficult to work with >.< ( Noob tip: tape paper onto the drawing surface. Feels A LOT better ).
    This is as far as I got before I had to quit, I am still not feeling 100% so I gotta turn off the screen for a while and practice some faces traditionally.

Last edited by Mrkolsyrad; July 29th, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
    SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it's your first value practice, it would probably be easier to get into it by doing the classic sphere study like so

Swenglish sketchbook of a thousand truths - Crit welcome
    and you can even practice with different shapes like cylinders which are a bit like the basic body shapes such as arms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess that's next then ^^.¨
    Lol,now I looked at her face. It's way too long on the left side. She looks like jabba the hutt!

Edit: Half arse fixed it, couldn't leave it like that hehe...

Last edited by Mrkolsyrad; July 29th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay screw this lol.
    I obviously have no clue about how to use value and Photoshop properly. Time to get back to focusing more on building blocks traditionally. I am getting WAY ahead of myself.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn it.. I can't help myself. Even tho it turns out crap I still enjoy painting damn it!
    Just a face study for values, things got even more messy when I tried to add things in the last minute ( stress makes bad work even worse hehe.. )
    BEHOLD! My fugly studies!
    I don't get how people get the smoothed out values and transitions...

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got home and I had to draw something before bed lol.
    To my horror, I found out that I had run out of my fav drawing paper... Printing paper ain't as comfy :/, been a while since I drawed traditionally too. Guess I am off to buy more paper tomorrow, drawing '' portraits '' is fun ^^.

Edit: Cellphone distorts the image a tad... I need to get the scanner working >.< but lines keep disappearing when scanning /sad face.

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I've been up to today... Page after page after page of shadow study on faces from all kinds of different angles, I got so stiff towards the end lol. So much repetition .
    Now it's time for a billion pages of hands and feet..

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to do a '' no value /shadow reference study '' from one of the faces I drew earlier before going to bed two days ago .
    I wanted to try out the soft brush, I found that it worked wonders for skin ^^. Just a fast one tho, I had to force myself to put down the pen when the clock started to ring lol.
    *Insert Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BAH! I've spent the entire day drawing hands and feet but I can't upload /sad face.
    Tomorrow then...

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your shading and faces! And your anatomy is looking so nice. It's inspiring looking through your sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man!
    You're not as bad as you think you are to be honest and you've already started to improve on your faces and such. I know that it can be really hard deciding what to study and even how to study it. But this stuff takes time and you'll only go insane if you think that you can study everything everytime! So my advice would be to focus on a particular thing for a day or even a week. When you focus, you should really think about what you're drawing and observe as much as possible. If it's values, try and write down where the highlights are and where you'd put them on the colorwheel. And if it's anatomy, try to note down the proprtions and relations to diffrent limbs etc. I've found that writing after you've just painted a study really helps. It forces you to try and formulate something that is just visual. It's very pedagogic
    As some have said, I would really recommend doing still lifes. Since they will give you a lot of problems to solve. Always try to challenge yourself and do things that you find hard!

Aand one of the most important things that you can ever do is applying studies. You'll build up your visual library easier if you try to memorize diffrent aspects of the study. There's a lot of diffrent ways you can apply. You can try to draw the study again but without reference. You can apply it to an illustration (the one I like the most) or just paint something simliar.

Just don't stop painting and you'll improve. It's probably the most boring advice, and I used to hate getting it. But it's the truth. Draw or die!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks to you both!
    And thanks Bjulvar for the advice to write things down after my studies. I've started taking a few notes, but I think I'll start writing more detailed explanations.

Cheers!

SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I received my irl sketchbook and new paper that I ordered today I wanted to try out charcoal pencils too, but I didn't realize that I was supposed to smudge it out afterwards lol.
    just the first page of head study from my sketchbook. Now I can draw on the bus! YAY!

I regret ordering charcoal and not graphite tho... Gotta buy new graphite ones soon, charcoal is weird as hell o.O.

Last edited by Mrkolsyrad; August 9th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    SKETCHBUUK :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent the entire day studying perspective, boxes ain't that fun to upload lol so I just did a quick face before I had to put down the pencil.
    I spent TOO LONG on her damn nose <.<, seriously. It really got on my nerves but I '' kinda '' fixed it eventually... And then I tried to improvise some techniques for hair but that didn't end up very well lol. Experimentation can be rewarding sometimes, but other times it ruins your drawing. Tried to erase the mess like a mad man rofl.

Edit: Oh yeah... And now I noticed that there's some '' hair mess '' left on her throat xD... Fml..

SKETCHBUUK :

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 159