Sketchbook: I'm self teaching, Hit me with crits and ways to grow. No patting my ass! D:
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm self teaching, Hit me with crits and ways to grow. No patting my ass! D:

I did start a sketchbook before and it got eaten by a site re-roll so I figured I'd wait for things to stabilize some before putting another up. Short version of why I'm here? To learn. I categorically can't afford school, and there is probably nothing you can't teach yourself if you have access to google and youtube (except maybe neurosurgery...)

So I've been giving myself assignments, starting with the basics. I started with form and values (The sphere exercise!) and have moved on to some quick landscape studies. Well..quick for me = about 30 minutes each. I'm working on rough paintings in smaller sizes so I can't get lost in the details. My ultimate goal? Concept artist/Character design/Illustration for somebody who doesn't want to pay me about 2 dollars an hour like the schmucks on E-lance. Its a competitive field, and being without a formal education isn't going to help, so I figure I better work my ass off.

No worries, subsequent posts will not have as much blither, this was just an intro to why I'm here/what I hope to accomplish.

Pencil drawing working on Values (one of my weak points) My cube is a bit skewed I'll be more careful next time.
    Name:  LightingStudy.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  522.8 KB

Speed painting, Trying to put the study of values to use on something more complicated than a sphere...Not sure how I feel about it.
    Name:  6-25-13.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  98.7 KB

A couple of quick landscape studies (done from photo refs of the Scottish moors)
    Name:  Meadow.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  150.0 KB
    Name:  Mountainous.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  109.1 KB

Thanks for looking, feel free to give me your opinions, suggestions, etc. I can handle a bit of abuse when it's coming from the right place

Emily

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've done another small landscape, it was supposed to be a speed paint but I've been sick enough that I couldn't stick with it. I'm not particularly pleased with it, but I'll put it up anyway. My first attempt at ice/snow, and ocean waves as well. I could really go to town on everything that's wrong with it, so I'm going to do some more in the same wintery theme to get some practice.

Name:  Iceberg.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  308.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Pencils; like you said, the perspective is slightly off. Easily fixed by applying or utilizing a vanishing point more effectively.

The first of the two Scottish moors is excellent, you've captured the values of the flowers wonderfully. I do feel the plains are a little too saturated, try doing a little colorpicking with the eye dropper to see how it matches up.

With the Glacier landscape, I feel like you used the the same three values all in different areas of the piece; I think this is most visible on the right side of the glacier. Try and get your values from a thumbnail perspective of the landscape.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Snow - Mainly because I find it difficult... and because it's really hot here at the moment and snow sounds good. (I won't feel that way in about 4 months...)

Name:  Snowy.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  250.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Sketch for a digital portrait from ref photo. This is WIP 1, just a rough sketch basically. I usually do ok on this part, I don't really skrew it up till I start coloring ;(

Name:  portraitWIP1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  311.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More on this, still not done but it's progress anyway. Total time spent so far is a couple hours. The colors are better than they usually are, my random landscape color studies are helping a bit. Either that or I'm paying more attention. I think I need to add some darker shading she's a bit washed out.
    Name:  PortraitWIP2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  351.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ WarmSoda
    I just now noticed that somebody other than me actually wrote something, God I'm not very observant... Thanks, you are right about the colors if I color pick, mine are a lot more saturated. The cube was free hand so I failed at that a bit :-/ The glacier..I pretty much hate, but its all practice I guess. Thanks for offering some advice/encouragement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a great attitude to improvement, so I foresee you going places Your latest digital study is looking good, you are right in that you do need to push the shadows. When you're starting out, try and look for reference images that are better lit. Most photographs on the internet are really washed out and most in magazines have been airbrushed to the point where their original lighting is destroyed. Try and look for photos with full, dark shadows that are not front lit. Your goal is to find reference that shows off the forms of an object.

Also don't be afraid of copying other artists' works especially artists you like. That's usually far easier than copying from photographs, since the artist has already broken down the information for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update on the random portrait of a random stranger I'm working on: The ref photo was pretty washed out too, so I had to estimate on a lot on the shadows. I've got a more interesting photo with some really good contrast for my next project so that should make me push the boat out a bit.
    @ Cadaure: Thanks! That's really nice I think I'm too old to have a bad attitude at this point in my life, lol. I know it leads nowhere.

Name:  PortraitWIP4.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  341.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great start!
    As you said with the internet you can learn pretty much whatever you need so just keep pushing forward!
    The assignments you are giving yourself are useful, if i can suggest something just make sure, after you copied something, to try replicate it from mind (even doing a personal piece if you want).
    Keep it up you are on the right track

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do more pencil drawings from life! You will learn much quicker than using photos. I know it might not seem so exciting, but it really is helpful for learning every aspect of drawing. Bring a sketchbook wherever you go and use it when you can. And pick up a book on perspective. There are some frequently recommended in the Critique Center.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I'm tired I thought I put a new sketch up just a little bit ago but I must not have... I'll do it in two parts then.
    I drew this bottle on my desk as kind of a two in one exercise. I figured it would be a somewhat easy perspective drawing
    (I actually found it embarrassingly difficult, I'm still not sure if it's right... But I wanted to work on values, so I needed
    it to color in grayscale. If anything in this strikes you as not right definitely feel free to say something about it or hit me
    in the back of the head with a fish or something.
    I'll skip the sketch and just go to the "finished" version.
    Name:  7-31-13.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  190.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is a VERY rough sketch for the current CHOW (which I doubt I'll actually enter, but I use them as homework so I have several ..almost done ones.) Current CHOW is Dragon Nanny, so I have one assisting with a hatching, with curious hatchlings watching. She's nekked D: I haven't worked out the clothes yet.

If anybody sees glaring anatomy/proportion issues... feel free to point them out
    Name:  DragonNanny.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  226.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there

i'm going to give a cti about last one:
    i would call it structure more than anatomy (muscles will put after this step)
    Pose: the right arm is stiff, straight not relaxed. pose is very very very important, it tells the story ! so take this pose yourself and note each part position/angle
    and make it looooose. did u do gestures ? if no some some of them before posing.
    feel free to rotate any body parts (

also draw cylinders and box is better.
    thighs and legs are a bit short.
    i suggest you redo the right dragon coz he's hidden, make the overall silhouette more clear (so we see the pose of the right dragon and the girl)

keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portrait looks great! Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been offline for a while. I was actually going to bother with the ChoW but couldn't get online before the deadline so I'll put it here. I have the sketch above, this is the *finished enough* version. I have been doing gestures and quick sketches on paper. Can't upload those sadly so But for now:
    Name:  DragonNanny11.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  538.1 KB
    PS Thanks to Zou for the suggestions! And to Warm Soda for the encouragement

O.O I attached the wrong image... the other one below has a head that's waaay too big...Not sure how I managed to ignore that until the end stages... :-/ Feel free to laugh, I did. :o

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Emily Estelle; August 12th, 2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: wrong attachment -.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I'm working on Digitally. Still doing a lot of traditional stuff and have no way of putting it up here. :-/

This is just a basic start to an idea I have. I'm just drawing something I want to draw, if anybody sees anything to pick at, please do. I'm trying to improve, as always. The pose is weird, but it will make sense later... I hope...

Name:  WIP6 2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  94.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've started making some massive changes to the sketch above, (#17) So I'll post it here when I've finished adjusting her position.

Members who have read this thread: 5