Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 473 Posts
    I understand the boards are really slow for some people, which may explain the lack of posting, but the viewing figures are the highest they've been for months.
    I totally respect your position here and I've always liked you a lot.
    But viewings don't actually mean anything. If people aren't posting, there is nothing to read, and the viewings will diminish.
    I used to have a message board once. A small one, but one just the same. Drama erupted, as all communities inevitably go through. And when that drama happened, our stats showed a massive spike in guests and viewings, too. That lasted for months with almost zero postings because people kept checking back to see what the conclusion of it all would be. My board died out because I didn't bother to try and fix the issues. I just kept operating as I had in the past assuming people would eventually come back.

You need to ask why people have stopped posting and why key members of the community that were once fixtures here no longer post (which most people already know) Try to rectify that and move forward as best you can. But kicking it all under the carpet as if these things have never happened isn't the way to go, in my opinion.

I hope this board comes back because I thought it was a great resource to many artists. I always used to refer people here as a key point of advice because of all of the talent that was here offering their experience and critiques. But if/when that all goes away for good? There's nothing left.

CA.org *IS* the artists who make up this community. Not the features, the slick new design, the boxes at the top, or whatever new features you are planning. If the community goes away, no amount of any of that will matter because there are plenty of amazing sites around the web with TONS of crazy features with hardly anyone actually using them. As long as all of you guys remember what is REALLY important (the people), I think CA.org can and will bounce back some day.

Good luck!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    DUSTY-You didn't just hit the nail on the head you hit on the nose. The credibility issue is still very cloudy. The site flickers in and out. The Dreamfuel servers might do the same if they are tied to CA's bug bombed servers. Who knows what that means for credit card info. I never really wanted to post that suspicion. But it's been there the whole time. I'm pretty sure it's crossed all of your minds.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; July 24th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    The notion that companies like Wizards MUST be paying great just because they are a big company, was
    perpetuated because pros wouldn't share info on the rates being paid, however this has now been demolished.
    At times I've seen pros give generic sums with no examples of circumstances but there was also never a definite
    company attached. There's this paranoid secrecy with rates and companies, as if the IRS and every publisher
    or client is scanning the net with a microscope, as if we're the only ones on the spot. A symptom I attribute
    the modern day fearful USA, one I grew up far away from. However, I am hopeful that PACT will help remedy
    this to some small extent.
    I think its more of a case that no one wants to admit what their getting because then someone else will try to undercut them. Its like discussing salaries with co-workers people get upset when they find out they are making less than someone else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I think its more of a case that no one wants to admit what their getting because then someone else will try to undercut them. Its like discussing salaries with co-workers people get upset when they find out they are making less than someone else.
    That, and if you're negotiating a different rate with different clients, you don't want one to find out that someone else is paying you less than they are.

Thanks
    Dpaint and Sidharth, I understand the reasons you are mentioning, however, don't you think that
    if an artist who is good enough for Wizards, and was willing to do a card for $100, has already sent
    them a portfolio and a message stating his/her willingness to do so? That explanation can only go
    so far.
    "Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    The site flickers in and out. The Dreamfuel servers might do the same if they are tied to CA's bug bombed servers. Who knows what that means for credit card info.
    Is that really a threat if the money is transferred through Paypal? I don't think Dreamfuel/CA has access to your credit card information (but I'm obviously not an expert on the subject).

Edit: Did they change the payment system? When it was first launched, I thought hitting 'Support Now' just sent you to Paypal.
    Last edited by dierat; July 25th, 2013 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Well, this thread looks a little more like the CA of old.
    Trouble is, it feels like a few of us old timer's sitting in a flyblown bar in ghost town.

I think Elwell is lying out there somewhere, face up under a cactus...

I very much agree with Dusty btw.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 6,477 Times in 4,461 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 6,477 Times in 4,461 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Is that really a threat if the money is transferred through Paypal? I don't think Dreamfuel/CA has access to your credit card information (but I'm obviously not an expert on the subject).

Edit: Did they change the payment system? When it was first launched, I thought hitting 'Support Now' just sent you to Paypal.
    I know it goes through pay pal. I just don't know anything about what hackers can and can't do. I'm sure anything is possible and I'm paranoid about vulnerabilities in a site. If a site is really buggy, I'm not going to trust their paypal. I've been scared off by lot's of distasteful animated advertisements.

PS: Paypal recently asked me to confirm a nonprofit located in Greece I knew nothing about. I reported it paypal acted like no harm no fowl. They assured me it wasn't a phishing scam, but they wouldn't tell me what kind of scam it was.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; July 25th, 2013 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Line - for you. It's doing the rounds on FB atm

Name:  1009647_10151733381264592_1941998307_o.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  143.0 KB
    Thanks Black Spot, I haven't seen this, I'll share it from my end. Tho I'm not aiming for comics, being the Devil's
    Advocate can produce results. I'm surprised by the pricing back then. Does anyone have any idea of how close
    these figures are to the actual figures being paid in comics now?
    "Don't judge a book by it's cover" Frank Frazetta 1928-2010
    RIP Frank.

DA gallery http://michaelsyrigos.deviantart.com/gallery/

CA Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=131601

Thanks
    The problem with Dreamfuel is that it comes at a time when a lot of us are unsure of how we feel about this site. I personally put a lot of time and effort into the team challenge, which was the biggest push this site made in years to bring back the sense of unity in the community, only to have the site shut down for over a month for this upgrade... we practically had to beg to get the team event and then didn't get any site backing. We had the whole thing shutdown on us with negligible notice during the last week after we all put so much work into it... Then there was all of that drama about royalties that was it's own plate of spaghetti.

Now the upgrade has happened kinda sorta and they want $75,000 for another update that sounds ok(?), but is really more of a 'lets wait and see' kinda thing. Maybe we'll all love it when it's done. I hope so. However until then I really don't have much to go on to sell me for this project.

Ask me for money later when I'm not feeling like we we're all a bit let down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Markmaker I have no idea who you are, or why Dreamfuel is so important to a newcomer to the boards, but the reason why I haven't been around here for (what ... 10 months?)is because I have been so ill that I nearly died, and because I was so ill, I haven't been well enough to earn enough to contribute.

Please show less demanding behaviour towards the community. It does come across as patronising, which isn't fair to us or you. Sorry.

Thanks
    Jeez Alesoun. Sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you get better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,360 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alesoun View Post
    Markmaker I have no idea who you are, or why Dreamfuel is so important to a newcomer to the boards, but the reason why I haven't been around here for (what ... 10 months?)is because I have been so ill that I nearly died, and because I was so ill, I haven't been well enough to earn enough to contribute.
    That's terrible. Hope you get better soon!
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast