Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

wtf: James Jean is broke, living off barter somewhere in Asia

At least, that's what he says.

He's been trying to divorce his psycho ex for the past couple years, but she refuses to settle on a deal (or something), and in the meantime keeps getting her lawyers to take James's income for herself, with ridiculous justifications. Sounds like James couldn't take it anymore, couldn't see an easy way out, and went for something drastic.

More details about the crap he went through in this Juxtapoz interview from a while back.

Welp, I'm never getting married.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Life can be a bitch. Especially when bitches are involved.
    I wish him all the best

Here's the quote:
    Everything I had worked for and saved in the past
    ten years is gone. Squandered among charlatans,
    exorcists, phrenologists, luxury goods retailers.
    But the most liberating part of the past year was when
    I had absolutely no money left. I finally felt calm.
    As for the near future, there is no reason to move
    forward. Progress means sustenance for the lampreys,
    the sharks, the cancer. The only progress is backwards,
    a de-evolution into a more primitive state, a state of
    being without desire, creating nothing to be desired,
    oozing into a place without inertia. I dream that my
    bones will dissolve into jelly, and then the dream itself
    will disintegrate into a spatter of neurons. It is only then
    that I will be free

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    At least he has the talent, reputation and clientele to slang a canvas for a million bucks if he really wanted to. All he has to do is dump the gold diggers and he's straight.

Thanks
    Seriously, f*ck ever getting married..
    The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Jesus Christ, just marry someone who isn't a flake. How hard is it to notice that someone has 20+ pairs of shoes and Deepak Chopra on the bookshelf?
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Jesus Christ, just marry someone who isn't a flake. How hard is it to notice that someone has 20+ pairs of shoes and Deepak Chopra on the bookshelf?
    This.

How do you not notice that somebody is a parasite? Poor dude

I feel bad when I need to borrow 20 Euros from my boyfriend, I can't even understand why people would act like she supposedly did
    I have an art/sketch blog on the dreaded Facebook
    Twitter
    Sketchbook
    Process video for my largest piece on Vimeo / Youtube

Thanks
    Before this turns into a thing, the "never getting married" joke wasn't misogynistic. It was poking fun at the ridiculous laws surrounding marriage. Just clarifying.

Continue. *retreats into the shadows*

Thanks
    great sex will make you do stupid things. I've dealt with my share of evil harpy succubus' to know thinking with the big head is easier said than done. Thank god I never made a child with one of those evil things. Life would be over.

Thanks
    That'll be why great sex with no strings is usually the best antidote to hangers on.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    This is why nerdy artists shouldn't try and act like rock stars. They don't have the right DNA to be a cocksman like John Mayer or the king of them all Rod Stewart who married and divorced every super model of his day after having kids with them. Artists scribbling in moleskins aren't cut out for that level of relationship no matter how great they are at drawing...

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    This is why nerdy artists shouldn't try and act like rock stars. They don't have the right DNA to be a cocksman like John Mayer or the king of them all Rod Stewart who married and divorced every super model of his day after having kids with them. Artists scribbling in moleskins aren't cut out for that level of relationship no matter how great they are at drawing...

Thanks
    @dpaint - Shoving your dick in every supermodel you meet and leaving a child behind is a pretty shallow and immature way to go about your life. Suppose I agree that it doesn't do much for improving your art.

Thanks
    @Ennex Exactly my point. Jean obviously ignored some huge character flaws in his choice of partners so I don't feel very sorry for him.

Thanks
    @Ennex Exactly my point. Jean obviously ignored some huge character flaws in his choice of partners so I don't feel very sorry for him.
    Possibly relevant: in an interview he named Dave Choe as his soul mate or something equally cheesy-sounding as that.

Thanks
    Word. He had it coming for marrying without a prenup. Maybe if he was older he would've taken his time to know his partners and not go for the first pussy to open up.

Nonetheless it's really painful to hear about him being bled dry.

I saw James Jean and this blond Asian chick at Whole Foods this spring, I wonder what happen to her. Pretty sure he wouldn't walk around with his cray cray ex.

Thanks
    ^You seem to forget
    Cray Cray=ruthless Vay Jay Jay

Thanks
    Oh, he's getting screwed in a divorce. That makes sense, then.

The only thing more bullshit than some of these divorce laws is the fact that, even when a hard-working, visionary artist like James Jean gets the success he's earned stolen, some people still have the gall to put the blame on him, rather than on the predatory divorce court system and the gold-diggers who take advantage of it where it belongs.

Thanks
    Damn dude, this psycho bitch is nothing short of a parasitic leech. This is the type of crap that sometimes makes me honestly wonder why women complain about wage discrimination when men are already expected to bear the brunt of financial burdens in a relationship. Granted, women like this aren't the norm, but still. . . . >_>
    My sketchbook:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191977

My page on Facebook, which I update much more often.

https://www.facebook.com/MarkGrimArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stabby2486 View Post
    This is the type of crap that sometimes makes me honestly wonder why women complain about wage discrimination when men are already expected to bear the brunt of financial burdens in a relationship. Granted, women like this aren't the norm, but still
    Then wtf are you talking about? Women should earn less because some girls are bitches? Fuck you.

Thanks
    Damn dude, this psycho bitch is nothing short of a parasitic leech. This is the type of crap that sometimes makes me honestly wonder why women complain about wage discrimination when men are already expected to bear the brunt of financial burdens in a relationship. Granted, women like this aren't the norm, but still. . . . >_>
    Anytime you want to take a pay cut, push a watermelon out of your private parts and then take a several-year break from your career in order to perform menial tasks for said watermelon, you let us know. I'm sure we can find some way of making this happen so that you can save yourself the price of a few nice dinners.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    I'll admit the divorce laws are pretty screwy. Trophy wives shouldn't be rewarded for marrying a paycheck. Unless there is a kid in the picture.
    In terms of men deserving more money to provide for their theoretical family. That's idiotic. Single moms are shown to be the primary bread winners in their families.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Anytime you want to take a pay cut, push a watermelon out of your private parts and then take a several-year break from your career in order to perform menial tasks for said watermelon, you let us know. I'm sure we can find some way of making this happen so that you can save yourself the price of a few nice dinners.
    Lets get rid of this notion that having a baby is the greatest achievement. It isn't, everything breeds, cockroaches, rats .... raising a child to maturity to be a useful contributor to society is a commendable achievement. Having a baby isn't. Too many men and women use it as an excuse for their pathetic useless lives, as if having a baby redeems them for that.

Thanks
    Times are different now kids, women can do stuff! My sugar mama pays all my bills All jokes aside though sometimes its hard to tell who you're really marrying, especially if you're in love and all that bullshit. There's a person in my family who, from my perspective, look like they're being taken advantage of, but they can't see it. Though I could be wrong, you really just don't know.

Someone very close to me, does very well for himself, and his wife is a designer who has been using his money to fund her projects which are thousands of dollars. She also goes shopping with his money on a regular basis. She has her own closet just for her shoes, and every time I'm over there, she always has some new really expensive things whether it be clothes, jewelry, whatever, and all she talks about is buying more stuff. I stopped going over there just because it makes my blood boil, she says stuff like "I dont understand why people have to flaunt their money around" And I'm about to lose it and have to bite my tongue. Its hard to talk about with this person because hes quite stubborn and is a bit sensitive. This has been going on for a couple of years, and he finally told me that he is running out of money. He is so infatuated with his wife that he nay says anything I try to tell him. Its a pretty shitty feeling actually.

Anyways, If you make good money you have to be careful. Even my broke ass has been taken advantage of by ex girlfriends. I know plenty of mooches from the male gender as well, its difficult to trust people.

Thanks
    Lets get rid of this notion that having a baby is the greatest achievement. It isn't, everything breeds, cockroaches, rats .... raising a child to maturity to be a useful contributor to society is a commendable achievement. Having a baby isn't. Too many men and women use it as an excuse for their pathetic useless lives, as if having a baby redeems them for that.
    I'm not sure where you're seeing "greatest achievement", I was painting it as a serious drawback.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    I don't know nothin about birthin no babies. Neither do you D. I'd leave that shit alone. Before you start talking like a creep senator from Kentucky. This conversation is not going to end well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'll admit the divorce laws are pretty screwy. Trophy wives shouldn't be rewarded for marrying a paycheck. Unless there is a kid in the picture.
    I really don't get what the purpose of alimony is. Why is a spouse required to support their former spouse? Unless the spouse in question dropped their education or career to raise children; that's obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    In terms of men deserving more money to provide for their theoretical family. That's idiotic. Single moms are shown to be the primary bread winners in their families.
    And that's not counting single women, women in same-sex relationships, and heterosexual couples where the wife is supporting her husband. Women earning less than men and men being expected to support women financially are remnants of the old system in which women were not allowed to earn their own living.

Thanks
    Talk about foot in mouth.

For the record, most women I know make a point of maintaining financial independence, and none of them agree with the guy
    being expected to pay for them when out on dates.

In regards to the article, I am saddened by his situation, he has always been one of the artists I have looked to for inspiration,
    and his work with Prada is among my favourite examples of how design and art can be used to cross the divides betweeen the creative industries.

Thanks
    This is the type of crap that sometimes makes me honestly wonder why women complain about wage discrimination when men are already expected to bear the brunt of financial burdens in a relationship.
    I love how the misogynistic part of your statement is followed by one of the many reasons why misogyny hurts men as well as women. It's super funny!!

Thanks
    For the record, most women I know make a point of maintaining financial independence, and none of them agree with the guy
    being expected to pay for them when out on dates.
    Same here. C'mon you guys and girls, it's not like being either a woman or a man makes life easier (at least in North America or Europe). Both men and women have their issues and worries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast