2014 - Sheridan College (Animation, Illustration and Game Design) Hopefuls

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys! I decided to go right ahead and firing things up! I decided to kick things off early, perhaps so that instead of just helping each other out on just critiquing each others portfolio pieces, we also help each other study and get up to par to Sheridan's standard.

I've decided to quote the main part of the last thread for archival purposes, so we can see the portfolios from last year as well. I am also listing some very useful books and resources to study up on when it comes to life drawing, perspective, general layout and composition, storyboarding and the likes.

If you guys would like I can create a dropbox containing a large amount of learning resources and add you guys to it on request. I was also thinking of personalizing a bit more by making a skype group to accompany this forum as well, I think that would be great because things flow differently in communication with both real-time IMing and forum chat. Well feel free to add me on skype it's the same account name I use on the forums and eventually I will open up a skype group as well.

Good Luck! Lets all do our best to get into sheridan and draw our asses off!

Feel free to share any sketches and progress done in preparation and practice for the portfolios for either of sheridan's program's.

Important Dates
    November 17th Sheridan Open House/Portfolio Day
    February 1st Due date for Application through OCAS for equal consideration
    February 14, 2013. Due Date for Mailing in Animation Portfolio (Must have a time stamp no later than this date)
    February 24-27th Animation Portfolio Submission due dates (In Person)
    March 1st-2nd Illustration Portfolio Drop Off dates(in person)

Useful Links:
    Sheridan Animation Tumblr Ask page/
    Figure/Animal Gesture Drawing Images
    Model Sheets/Surplus of Animation Information
    There is a plethora of information if you have the patience to dig through
    Portfolio tips from Graduate
    Score sheet
    Life Drawing Sessions in Toronto
    Links to Successful Portfolios and Unsuccessful

Learning resources and books(will be expanded with suggestions):

Complete guide to Life Drawing by George Bridgman
    The Natural Way to Draw By Kimon Nicolaides
    Perspective Made Easy By Norling
    Figure Drawing Design & Invention By Michael Hampton
    Layout and Composition for Animation by Ed Ghertner
    Basic Drawing DVD by Scott Roberston

Animation Hopefuls
    ( Click to show/hide )

RaeOwlOne
    DeerHooves
    Artistobe
    Scrii
    Sebniemi
    pepe-silvia

Illustration
    ( Click to show/hide )

Game Design Hopefuls
    ( Click to show/hide )

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    Decreed the "Harvard of Animation" Sheridan's Animation program has a reputation for pumping out talented artists. Their Illustration and Animation programs are top notch and demand your full ass if you want to get in. So lets all stress about it together! A simple topic meant for 2013 applicants.

FAQ
    How does the marking work?
    ( Click to show/hide )
    According to the coordinator, 8 different people, specializing in each section, look and evaluate your portfolio. So there are no 'hard' markers or 'easy' markers. All 8 of them are trouncing through your portfolio. So to break this down further, there are professors who specialize in storyboard that look at your storyboards, there are professors that specalize in characters, that look at your characters, etc, etc. And at the end, all 8 look at your personal section.

How many available spots are there?
    ( Click to show/hide )
    150 as of year 2013.

How much applicants are they expecting?
    ( Click to show/hide )
    It varies, but they normally get over 1000.

International students.
    ( Click to show/hide )
    They only have room for 25.
    International is OUTSIDE Canada. provinces outside Ontario don't count.

When will I hear about my acceptance/rejection?
    ( Click to show/hide )

If you're accepted
    you'll hear it first in your Sheridan Email. from March 25th-April 1.
    If you're inside toronto, you should expect the acceptance package April 1st-4th (there are a few anomalies though, so don't fret too much)

If you're rejected.
    You wont hear about it in your Sheridan email, you'll see it in the applicant status sub-menu around march 25th-April 1 You can find out if you're wait-listed or outright rejected, here.

Or you'll receive a letter April 1-5th (inside toronto) about it.

Animation Hopefuls
    ( Click to show/hide )

Bold = Portfolio Submission

2_C
    8Bee
    Atrain
    Astral-art
    CrimsonRook51
    BlueMaroon
    empire_c2
    Denaliah
    xDrawnxtoxDeathx
    DeerHooves
    DerekPaperPencil
    Dunnstar
    Kamikazel33t
    Hollman
    Kaylion25
    Kawaiixdesu
    xKotu
    Indigo Flames
    jdjake
    floppybutts
    Fractal64
    Linearts
    Lycoris
    mamuraa
    Mee-na
    Mieket
    Miraine
    Maffix
    Nickels
    Official Lamp
    pepe-silvia
    RayDunster
    Uptown
    Yahualli

Illustration Hopefuls
    ( Click to show/hide )

TwelveGauge
    Macabrewalts
    Lycoris
    Jipai
    NicktheLadd

Last edited by kamikazel33t; December 11th, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
    CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am so excited to see the next round of hopefuls... I wanna wish everyone luck. Believe in yourselves~
    I plan to apply for 2015, so I don't qualify for now, but I will be practicing this year for that

I will be rooting for you guyses

EDIT: if you are lurking, post something! We know you're here! Hahaha

Last edited by the-muddy; July 12th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
    sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"
    -Walter Crane, 'Line & Form'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'll pipe up; I'm hoping to apply for 2014! (for one of the 25 international places, haha) Just had another look at all the accepted portfolios from over the past few years and super intimidated, but fingers crossed

Last edited by Scrii; July 14th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mud well you can still post up the stuff you do in preparation! so you can do some of the stuff and give it a go on a pseudo folio and I am pretty sure there are many people including myself who would be happy to critique it.

@Scrii that's pretty impressive! I took a look at your stuff and to calm you up a bit I can most definitely say that your work is already pretty good and totally on the level Sheridan expects but that should not get you complacent, work hard and do your best! From what I can see so far is that your characters are looking pretty solid, I'd really like to see some layout and environments from you as that is what usually brings down peoples' scores. Even though the character drawings are worth a lot people seem to neglect room drawing and that should be something that should be practiced just as much. I should also be less hypocritical and do just the same.

I guess I perhaps should introduce myself too! If you have not met me over the site, I am Danny, I practically lived in the UAE most of my life and well there is major lack of quality art education there. Just like most budding artists I am mostly self-taught although I was not serious about taking art as a career and it was mostly a pipe dream at the eleventh grade although it slowly started to begin becoming more really after I slowly discovered what it really took to become a great artist in the industry. Unfortunately this was at the beginning of my senior year, so I was scurrying to practice my drawing skills, I improved rather significantly though I guess you can say that I needed way more time. I am still struggling with the time constraint to improve and hope its enough.

Currently I am working on this character for the Sheridan portfolio, I was think of making him more functional, animate-able, and rotatable by the end of the summer as well as get my life drawings up to par. There is also the issue with the layout, so lots and lots of thumbs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scrii I love your art! Lots of fluidity and movement in it. I like the characters too, human and animal. I'd like to see what you come up with for your portfolio and such!

Danny you have definitely improved and will keep doing so because you have goals and passion for practicing Nice to see. Keep up the good work! It is really unfortunate that the art education there is weak... But I am glad that in our time we can look at a world's worth of opportunities, not just our immediate surroundings

sketchbook
    facebook | tumblr | art hangouts! (get your friendly ol' bum over here and get arting with us!)

"[...]as we gain facility of hand and travel further afield, we discover that we have a key to unlock the wonders of art and nature, a method of conjuring up forms at will: a sensitive language capable of recording and revealing impressions and beauties of form and structure hidden from the careless eye[...]"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! For awhile I was following the 2013 forum to see everyone's awesome art but i didn't post anything because I'm applying for 2014! I don't have lots of stuff right now but ill be sure to post stuff when I have it. :> HAHAHA @kamikazel33t I am loving that character!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harro everybody! Glad to see some people already posting on here. Hope to see more hopefuls populate this thread Anyways, I'm a former student of the Animation Portfolio Workshop, and I was supposed to apply and hopefully get in for this year's Fall term, but I didn't get my portfolio done in time xD I don't have a lot of stuff up right now, but I'll be sure to update soon enough Cx

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the work you guys have!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hahaha I'm currently taking Animation Portfolio Workshop! Awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @the-muddy again such kind words , I learnt and lived off the sea of information from the internet and I am glad I have it!

@RaeOwlOne Glad to have you on-board ! APW is a great opportunity to learn, take advantage of it and draw everyday and any time you can. I was thinking of making some kind of overly dramatic actor of some sort for my character xP so I tried to give him a dramatic kinda *cough*sassy pose*cough*

Just to mention again feel free to add me over skype, my username is the same as my CA username. I will setup a group for all of us on skype.

Does anybody want to kick this off with some hand-drawing exercises we could have a couple done by the next Thursday and have a critique session. We also could create a mock-up portfolio as an objective by November to ready it up for the portfolio review happening at Sheridan by that time. Doing this will most definitely help us with coming portfolio and allow us more flexibility with what pieces we could pick out for the final portfolio .

I forgot to mention, me and DeerHooves are actually roomies, so yeah.

Last edited by kamikazel33t; July 18th, 2013 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah that must be tons of fun I really hope I get to go to Sheridan in 2015 and have animation/illustration roomies in a place near the campus xD That'd be the life~~~
    And great idea for the hands. I will try to get some practice for that done as well

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kamikaze & the-muddy, thank you both!! (sorry I was overseas until recently) I definitely need to work on more environments and layouts but I keep forgetting how important it is both in animation and for the portfolio itself so thank you for the reminder And I totally understand about having a lack of relevant art education options in the country/area, it's pretty much the same here in Australia and everything is just so far away from here, haha. Really love the angles and general design of your character so far though, I'm looking forward to seeing how he evolves - and of course to everyone else's work too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm another 2014 animation hopeful I look forward to seeing everyone's work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am also applying to 2014. I have started working on my portfolio a bit. Can anyone recommend a website for me to create a simple artist page, to put all my sheridan portfolio work?

Looking forward to seeing all the art you guys are working on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have created a blog that has a few drawings I've done for my portfolio. The link is in my signature, so please send me some feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, looks like we have quite a few more people here! welcome, welcome! Don't be strangers guys! So sebniemi, looking for a critique eh? well that is what we are here for!

Well looking at everything overall, I have to say, there is going to be quite a lot of stuff you need to work on but that is why we are starting early right?

overall you characters are lacking in solidity and are pretty stiff, a good remedy for that is to really try and push doing a ton of life-drawing and gestures as well as really grinding and going over practicing the rules of perspective. There are tons of books around here that can assist you with that so just keep practicing and drawing from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, thanks for the rich reply. I agree that those rough character exploration drawings don't have much to offer in the way of presence. I did a couple more sketches based on the lightbulb character, and going to continue doing them. Looking at the drawing of the light bulb man in the moustached boxer stance, do you find the character appealing? As a personality?
    Kamikaze, do you have any work I could check out that isn't already on your dA page?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You see the problem is Seb, you need to think a little more about how to fit the character for the requirements, the light bulb character does not even have a face and you need to submit an expression sheet showing the head with different facial expressions so there is food for thought of that in mind. I do have more stuff other than my dA which my sketchbook which you can see the link to the left of the dA one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So how are everyone's portfolios coming along? I was thinking we should set some sort of mutual goal for motivation . After that, maybe we could critique eachothers stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Aristobe! Everything is coming along fine for me, one issue is that I realized I need to do more animals and room drawings 0_0 it's a little hard to get into and I've been doing way to many characters. I personally am looking into a thing or two about expressions, looking into a mirror making an expression and copying it down with like a simplified head seems to help. I do waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many hands :0, ANYWAY, thanks for trying to keep the thread alive Artistobe !

About the mutual assignments what would you call out for it(everybody else can pitch in too !)? I'd say perspective and room drawing, is my weak spot so I guess a mutual assignment would motivate me to do more, what would you guys like for the assignment?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! Just a suggestion for the future students who want to apply to game design...Would you think it would be possible to add game design hopefuls as well? considering its one of the newer art programs now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not personally against adding game design . Perspective and room drawings are definitely my weakest point too! They're such a drag to do.. How about having a room drawing sometime the first week of september? I would say earlier but I won't be here for about two weeks haha. Has anyone else taken any courses in the meantime? I'm going to seneca for art fundies ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why just a room drawing, and not both of them?
    Ill try to have them both done by next Monday. Out of curiosity, do you guys work or attend school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do as much as you can ! Well I currently just finished high school, xD like the september before, now I don't really have a choice about something full-time taking up my time whether it is online schooling(so I can enter a degree job, if in-case I don't get in but I ain't gonna let that happen :0!) or a full-time job(where I will probably end up with a dead-end with if I keep on applying and don't get in.) so I decided to do online schooling full-time instead and in the weekends, I can bury myself with drawing then heehee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I was here on the last thread, but I showed up late. Maybe some of you remember me! Anyway, I'm gunning for animation again, and maybe IF I have time, illustration. I'm going to Art Fundamentals this fall, which people have mixed opinions about (but I think was a good choice after all, especially for life drawing), and I think I've improved since March when I was not accepted to Sheridan animation!

@Kamikaze, WOW, you've improved so much. I remember your character last time who, although was not bad at all, this one looks so much more improved and refined!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have ever seen this website.
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/

I was having trouble thinking of actions, poses and angles from which to draw my character. This website has it all! Check it out, it is a veritable wealth of information on the figure.

Happy drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to start practicing perspective this week as well as going to those open life drawing classes at Visual arts Brampton again. hopefully I can get these skills ready for the portfolio.

Just wondering anybody going to Fan expo this year, it would be awesome to meet you guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pepe, it's great to see you right back on the thread! Thanks, funny thing is that character didn't cut it and I decided to actually go with the character I have in my avatar. He is a punk, skateboarder ! I will post some pictures after my next sketchbook update but it's funny how things change early on in the portfolio process.

Sebniemi, While its good to use reference normally you should be able to do that anyway without reference if you practiced a lot of gestures, construction and perspective a lot. The reference is normally used to see how something in specific moves or acts. Like for example my character is a skater so I looked at a lot of skating videos to see how skateboarders move through when doing tricks and what not and do studies of that. Then again I am not really in a position to tell somebody how to use reference but that's just a tip anyway so take it with a grain of salt.

Nickels, it's great to see you back for another shot at this! unfortunately I am not attending fan expo though normally for anybody around toronto we can go life drawing with a bunch of other artists I know! anyway nickels just practice hard and smart!

LOL, I FINALLY got my score sheet, disappointed but at peace, my brain can finally rest knowing my score xD!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a really great site! also http://www.quickposes.com/pages/gesture is really good too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just remembered I could put that up, doing it now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some perspective studies.

Attached Images Attached Images            

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 204